PDA

View Full Version : just a little powerlifting help

dedsqtbnch
03-15-09, 11:26 pm
for those powerlifters that may want to spend there extra time to write out what there doing. please let me know what your routine is. i know i can go on and search the net but i want to know from people that i can acually communicate with.

im not getting ready for any meets at the moment but maybe later in the year or sep. but here is what im about to start maybe after aprill 30th. if you think ill do better with one of yalls let me know cause im allways up to see what works for my body any way

monday
bench press-2-3 reps 5 sets
cable rows-6-8 reps 5 sets
flat db press-4-6 reps 5 sets
dips-6-8 reps 5 sets

wednesday
squat-1-3 reps 6 sets
leg curls-6-8 reps 6 sets
leg extentions-6-8 reps 6 sets
standing calf raises-16-20 reps 5 sets

friday
close grip bench 10 to 12 reps 4 sets
db front shoulder raises 10 to 12 reps 4 sets
incline bench press 10 to 12 reps 4 sets
db shoulder press 8 to 10 reps 4 sets
skull crushers 6 to 8 reps 4 sets

saturday
deadlift 6 to 8 reps 2 on last set for 6 sets
leg curls 10 to 12 reps 6 sets
lunges 6 to 8 reps 6 sets
lat pulldowns 8 to 10 reps 6 sets
standing calf raises 16 to 20 reps 5 sets

theharjmann
03-16-09, 6:24 am
im not an nout and nout powerlifter but i like to lift heavy and only do compound stuff....

a lot of the guys on here follow a westside barbell program and tweak it to suit them....have u read into westside barbell?

prowrestler
03-16-09, 10:39 am
thats not a powerlifting program, its a bodybuilding one with low reps.

look up some websites like elitefts.com for information. google westside barbell

Jay Hanisak
03-16-09, 11:06 am
Not sure why you would do cable rows and front delt raises before finishing your bench work. You don't want to tire out the smaller muscle grops before hitting the big lifts.

brays3440
03-16-09, 12:22 pm
try a 5/3/1 program, here is a link to my training log, I havent kept up with it since the birth of my daughter but it will give you and idea of it, http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?p=548115#post548115

dedsqtbnch
03-16-09, 12:56 pm
thanx yall

dedsqtbnch
03-17-09, 12:26 am
try a 5/3/1 program, here is a link to my training log, I havent kept up with it since the birth of my daughter but it will give you and idea of it, http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?p=548115#post548115

were do you get your % from? do you do them your self or is there a website that does it for you?i max out for the first time in over a year on the 28th so ill know were im at then

dmax1978
03-17-09, 12:32 am
Currently i am doing the bench like an animal workout. for me no plans in competing quite yet i am just building strength, i am four weeks into it and seeing great results, check it out

dedsqtbnch
03-17-09, 12:36 am
Currently i am doing the bench like an animal workout. for me no plans in competing quite yet i am just building strength, i am four weeks into it and seeing great results, check it out

bench like an animal workout were the hell is that at

dmax1978
03-17-09, 12:39 am
if you go to training on the home page try searching it, it should come up. Its also in the animal owners manual from a year or two back

mark
03-17-09, 12:41 am
Do the 5/3/1 progam

ghost
03-17-09, 8:53 am
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm

dedsqtbnch
03-17-09, 10:06 pm
i do have a question though. what do guys do at the meet when they get there to warm up? is there a pumping room? and what do they do inbetween lifts?

also if its a bench,squat,and dead meet what is done and which ones are the first lifts? is it better to do one befor sertin ones or what

thanx

ghost
03-17-09, 10:08 pm
i do have a question though. what do guys do at the meet when they get there to warm up? is there a pumping room? and what do they do inbetween lifts?

also if its a bench,squat,and dead meet what is done and which ones are the first lifts? is it better to do one befor sertin ones or what

thanx
varies from meet to meet.

dedsqtbnch
03-17-09, 10:18 pm
i am maxing soon which is one reson y i asked cause im doing all 3 in one day

Jay Hanisak
03-18-09, 10:28 am
A typical 3 lift meet is Squat 1st then bench then deads. You will be in a "flight" say 10 lifters. Each guys does one atempt at the squat. Then it goes back around for the secon and then third attempts. Then same thing for the other lifts. There will be a warmup area. Make sure you don't burn out during the warmup. Just feel the weight and move on up until you hit your last warmup set.

dedsqtbnch
03-18-09, 4:22 pm
thanx man

dedsqtbnch
03-19-09, 9:39 pm
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm

ive been lookin at it and i like it have you ever used it or know someone that has

dedsqtbnch
03-21-09, 2:20 pm
whats the best way to build up my stength at the bottom of my squat. ive been doing to much box squatting

ghost
03-21-09, 2:28 pm
ive been lookin at it and i like it have you ever used it or know someone that has

i am using it right now.. why what questions did you have about it

prowrestler
03-21-09, 2:57 pm
whats the best way to build up my stength at the bottom of my squat. ive been doing to much box squatting

dave tate said it best i think. most lifters fail outta the hole because they NEVER EVEN GET IN IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. if you always squat high and come meet day you are forced to get down for the 3 white lights, do you think your gonna do good if you never trained aproprietly?

squat deep and have a spotter "Q" you when to go up. soon you'll be able to judge on your own when your deep enough. just remember, hip crease passes knee level to break paralel, not your ass or hamstrings.

low box squats are good.

dedsqtbnch
03-21-09, 3:00 pm
i am using it right now.. why what questions did you have about it

1. board press dosent say how many boards plus i ant got none should i just use a nother object.
2.Reverse Hypers dont think i have a way of doing them
3.do not have bands
4.how do you set it up in your week 1 day on than 1off and 2 on than 1 off or what
5.do you ever do bi and forarm for grip

thanx dude i think ima start this in april

dedsqtbnch
03-21-09, 3:06 pm
dave tate said it best i think. most lifters fail outta the hole because they NEVER EVEN GET IN IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. if you always squat high and come meet day you are forced to get down for the 3 white lights, do you think your gonna do good if you never trained aproprietly?

squat deep and have a spotter "Q" you when to go up. soon you'll be able to judge on your own when your deep enough. just remember, hip crease passes knee level to break paralel, not your ass or hamstrings.

low box squats are good.

yea i think ive been seeing ass first and trying to line up hams wile trying to contintrate with out a spotter like i used to have .he would tell me when i looked good than tell me to lift. will look into my hips a lot more thanx

ghost
03-21-09, 3:08 pm
1. board press dosent say how many boards plus i ant got none should i just use a nother object.
3.do not have bands
4.how do you set it up in your week 1 day on than 1off and 2 on than 1 off or what

make em, they are pretty inexpensive and quick to make
if u have a bench, you have a way of doing the reverse hypers
dont worry about banded work yet
1 on, 1 off.
aaaand no

dedsqtbnch
03-21-09, 3:12 pm
make em, they are pretty inexpensive and quick to make
if u have a bench, you have a way of doing the reverse hypers
dont worry about banded work yet
1 on, 1 off.
aaaand no

aaaaand no lol thats gonna be the hardest habbet to break cause my arms are so small compaired to my legs and chest and stomach and lol there just small.

i gess if anyone ever messes with me ill just have to shut tham up with well lets see who can squat more lol thanx man youve helped me out a lot in the past with my old screen name and your still loing it later

IRBS
03-21-09, 3:14 pm
3.do not have bands

1. This could be changed out for a floor press, DB press, Pin Press or just a regular bench...or you could make boards
2. Be creative, if you truely dont have access to them, do some type of back raise
3. You dont need them, just use straight weight
4. Whatever days work for you is how you set it up, just make sure you have 2-3 days between Max Effort Days
5. You can do bicep work whenever you want, never use straps and your grip will be fine

prowrestler
03-21-09, 3:18 pm
yea i think ive been seeing ass first and trying to line up hams wile trying to contintrate with out a spotter like i used to have .he would tell me when i looked good than tell me to lift. will look into my hips a lot more thanx

no problem, just remember to squat with your hips lowering, not knees going forward

Big Wides
03-21-09, 3:20 pm
If your interested or have questions about a meet, go to one and observe what goes on. Ask questions and just see how it is. Yes they do vary from meet to meet, and federation to federation as far as different varibles but for the most part they are pretty much the same. As for training, there are a ton of different things out there but if you stick to a template, follow it to the letter and don't stray from it. These are templates for a reason, a lot of thought went into building them and they do work when done properly. Your nutrition should be on point, powerlifters have just as strict of a diet as bodybuilders. IRBS has a soild post about a powerlifter diet in the School section.

Just remember to lift heavy and have fun. Don't get caught up in all of the special things out there yet (bands, chains, ect.) get the basics down first.

dedsqtbnch
03-21-09, 3:26 pm
If your interested or have questions about a meet, go to one and observe what goes on. Ask questions and just see how it is. Yes they do vary from meet to meet, and federation to federation as far as different varibles but for the most part they are pretty much the same. As for training, there are a ton of different things out there but if you stick to a template, follow it to the letter and don't stray from it. These are templates for a reason, a lot of thought went into building them and they do work when done properly. Your nutrition should be on point, powerlifters have just as strict of a diet as bodybuilders. IRBS has a soild post about a powerlifter diet in the School section.

Just remember to lift heavy and have fun. Don't get caught up in all of the special things out there yet (bands, chains, ect.) get the basics down first.

yea ive been looking for a local one but havent found one yet so gess im gonna have to drive out 2 hours to see one thats coming up in may

Thrawn
03-21-09, 3:31 pm

You could do rack squats, with the pin rather low. You can find vids of those on youtube.
Another way is to unrack a weight near 80% of your max, unrack, sink into the hole. Sit there for a two count, then explode upwards. Repeat for a double or triple, repeat few times.

Thrawn
03-21-09, 3:36 pm

Solid advice from a solid brother. He knows his game.
Especially the last few sentences. Go to a meet well prepared, and have a ton of fun trying to beat your PR's into a pulp. I would advice to make your first attempt on each lift a dead certain one. If you hit your openers, a lot of pressure is off your back and the fun can begin.

dedsqtbnch
03-22-09, 11:03 pm
ok so my next workouts will be on mon and wed this week only. and have the rest of the week to rest. im maxing on sat to see were im at. should i take the next week off before i start my new 9week routine http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9w...ng-program.htm thanx to rcrott1. or should i just start that monday.

ive been working out since dec but started hard the middle of april when i joined the gym. let me know what yall think

dedsqtbnch
03-22-09, 11:56 pm
what would be the best exercise to replace Glute Ham Raises cause i ant got the machine and hate doing it on the floor it ant the same