PDA

View Full Version : advice for first benchpress contest

fenix237
03-16-09, 5:27 pm
hey fellas,

i just signed up to do a bench press contest scheduled for june 13. the rules call for a raw bench, but a belt/wrist wraps are ok. i'm 5'10" 275 and natural. i just maxed at 435lbs wearing only wrist wraps. i just got back into lifting with focus the last few months.

i've been benching twice a week for bench, no real set routine. usually one day i will do 6 sets, like 185/12, 225/10, 275/8, 315/6, 365/3 405/2. next time in, i will go lighter and work up to 75% of 1RM and hit dips and dumbells harder and heavier.

i've never done competitions or wore suits. i've never even worked with chains/bands, board presses etc... i just would go in and do what felt productive. i go to gold's gym, so most basic equipment is available. there is a set of 35lb chains i can use, and i have a chain for doing weighted dips. in the past, i've did a program called "Increase your bench by 50lbs in 7 weeks" by Shawn Phillips, brother of EAS' Bill Phillips. everytime i completed it, i was up 40-60lbs on the bench. i know you experienced guys might not think much of it, but for a guy at my level it produced.

i was thinking of of splitting up the next 12 weeks into a 5 week back/legs/core routine and then, 7 weeks out do the bench program for a max bench

can any of you bros give me any tips/pointers or a better routine than what i have already. i consider myself a solid intermediate and am willing to do boards or other techniques you recommend.

i'll let you know how it goes- and i'll be sure to wear my Animal t-shirt and hat to represent haha!!

i truly appreciate any input-brp

TXPWRLFTR
03-16-09, 6:14 pm
Check out www.elitefts.com

Also have fun in the meet. Open light and go for broke after that! Looks like you are doing well for yourself. Keep at it! Twice a week in benching is good...I take it one of those days is a max effort and the other is some kind of speed work or lighter work load than the other bench day?

fenix237
03-17-09, 10:02 am
Check out www.elitefts.com

Also have fun in the meet. Open light and go for broke after that! Looks like you are doing well for yourself. Keep at it! Twice a week in benching is good...I take it one of those days is a max effort and the other is some kind of speed work or lighter work load than the other bench day?

thanx bro! yes, you are right- one day is a max day and the other is a lighter day where i go heavier on weighted dips and other auxillary work. the thing is, for the most part, i just go in and do what i think benefits me the most- no set routine. it makes me think some big increases are there for the taking if i stick to a proven routine.

btw, any of you familiar with shawn phillips "increase your bench by 50lbs in 7 weeks"? as i said already, i've used it with great results 40-60lbs every time. i would complete the routine, then go on a leg/back routine for a couple of months, then come back to it.
my bench might have dropped by 20-30lbs at that point, but i go up again 40-60. that's how i went from 350lbs to 435lbs. i know there is going to be progressively diminishing returns, but until that happens, i'll keep doing it

cstmgp
03-17-09, 5:24 pm
COuld you post some more info about this routine, or a link to the site with some info?
Shaun

dedsqtbnch
03-17-09, 9:56 pm
i think i seen it in a mag

dedsqtbnch
03-17-09, 10:05 pm
i do have a question though. what do guys do at the meet when they get there to warm up? is there a pumping room? and what do they do inbetween lifts?

also if its a bench,squat,and dead meet what is done and which ones are the first lifts? is it better to do one befor sertin ones or what

thanx

TXPWRLFTR
03-17-09, 11:34 pm
Most cases you will have a weigh in...then a rules meeting...some have equipment checks...if it is a full meet...then the order will go: squat, bench, and then the deadlift.
Most places will have a warm-up room...what you do in between the rounds is up to you...just make sure you get your next attempt turned in and listen for your name to be called out.

The meet promoter will pretty much carry the tone of the meet and make it fun for the lifters...music..stats of a lifter...and so forth...enjoy it and once you get that 1st attempt and the lights are white by majority....you are in...have fun...no doubt you will meet several seasoned lifters...

As far as the template you mentioned...I think I read that back in the day when Muscle Media 2000 was around...

If it works and you are pleased...stay with it...and when you are ready to try something different...give the WestSide Barbell template a try as well as the Metal Militia bench training a shot...I know Animal has a powerlifting template too.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!

fenix237
03-18-09, 2:29 pm
http://www.weightrainer.net/spreadsheets/add50.html

dedsqtbnch
03-18-09, 4:43 pm
http://www.weightrainer.net/spreadsheets/add50.html

cool deal i might try it but not right now.
they also tell you not to arch your back that sucks lol the weight will be harder to lift lol joking

fenix237
03-19-09, 2:03 pm
cool deal i might try it but not right now.
they also tell you not to arch your back that sucks lol the weight will be harder to lift lol joking

give it a shot when you can and see if you get great results like i did. a little tip: when you plug in your 1RM, go around 20lbs lighter and work into it. there are a series of "tests" that will adjust you as you progress.

i've never found arching my back to be beneficial- maybe because i'm too thick in the middle- haha!! i'm not even sure if i do the "J" lift- i just go with what positions and motions feel most natural to me. maybe i'm missing out on potential gains???

if any of you guys try out the program, i'd love to hear your results, so post them here if you can

-BRP

2003Slobra
03-19-09, 3:50 pm
First of all, good luck to you on your Bench Contest. I am sure you will do great your first time!

On a side note, how did you feel on the rest of the exercises when you were on this program? I noticed it doesn't want you over training other areas and does light work, but did you lose any size or strength in those areas while on this program?

dedsqtbnch
03-19-09, 8:53 pm
First of all, good luck to you on your Bench Contest. I am sure you will do great your first time!

On a side note, how did you feel on the rest of the exercises when you were on this program? I noticed it doesn't want you over training other areas and does light work, but did you lose any size or strength in those areas while on this program?

off note you got a superlowbra dont u

any man in a 03 slobra looks bigger and better lol not to be gay but i like them alot

fenix237
03-20-09, 10:00 am
thanks 2003lowbra! i am planning to do my best- i know there will always be guys stronger than me. i just want to do the best i can and that's cool with me.

i found the other parts of the bench routine to be more geared towards maintenance than gains. to be honest, i substituted some exercises for others although that's prbably unnecessary. i like to follow routines strict because usually they are put together by people more knowledgeable than me.

btw, what the hell is a superlowbra anyway???

2003Slobra
03-20-09, 11:24 am
btw, what the hell is a superlowbra anyway???

Haha... My old car was a 2003 Cobra. It was heavily modified and made over 1,000 HP. So I made a joke against the name and called it Slobra, even though it was anything but slow! :)

fenix237
03-20-09, 12:01 pm
Haha... My old car was a 2003 Cobra. It was heavily modified and made over 1,000 HP. So I made a joke against the name and called it Slobra, even though it was anything but slow! :)

oh man, i love those '03/04 supercharged cobras! 425hp/tq (390 at the wheels)out of the box right? i like the more compact body shape more than the new ones, but the new gen's are still sweeeet! totally dig the new GT500's w/500...badass!