PDA

View Full Version : Iron vs Bumper

Sho
03-17-09, 12:13 am
K so im building a home/garage gym and im trying to figure out what kinda weight set i should get.

Ive found a iron york set (8 45s, 2 25s, 2 10s, 2 5s, 2 2.5s lbs) exuding the bar for $445.00 can.
and a Bumper kraiburg set (2 45s, 2 35s, 2 25s lbs) with a bar for $559.00 us.

now seeing how the can dollar isn't so great right now, the bang for your buck deal is a no brainer, but im really into the Olympic lifts and i don't know how heavy i can go with the iron when it comes to dropping that shit on the concrete. I was thinking about putting a thick layer of rubber padding on the ground but im not sure if its the same. and the fact of the matter is no matter what, im gonna have to buy more expensive plates for the bumper set cuz
255 lbs just isnt enough anymore and additional plates are uber costly. Anyways just looking for some feedback on what you guys think.. Cheers!

rev8ball
03-17-09, 12:33 am
I'm sure you can find better deals than that. But, personally, I like bumpers, esp for the O lifts; a rubber mat just isn't the same. And, even though it doesn't give you a license to totally throw the shit around like an ass, it does make the movements a lot easier to deal with.
If you got the cash, go with the bumpers. Otherwise, get what you can with what you got. Ultimately, it's all gonna make you grow.....

Sho
03-17-09, 12:54 am
dude Ive looked around for months.. all over the web, ebay, craigslist, u name it.. these are by far the best deals Ive found.

shizz702
03-17-09, 7:42 am
Go with the bumpers bro. Plus you are getting a bar in that set as well, can't beat that. Ever since I got myself some bumper plates I would never turn back.

rayzer27
03-17-09, 10:31 am
If you bought the bar separately with the iron set how much would it be? if the total cost is less than the bumper set ur looking at..go with the iron

i have an iron set only problem i have is if i drop the weights it dents my concrete floor =/

Sho
03-17-09, 2:24 pm
I can get a bar for like 89.99 can.

so its still a good deal, but now im getting alot of positive bumper feedback... this is tough.

cstmgp
03-17-09, 5:14 pm
Buy the iron set and buy two 45lb bumpers. You're getting alot more weight, and the only weights that touch the ground are the larger 45's. I see no reason to have bumpers on the smaller weights, do you really need to drop your curl bar???

Shaun

shizz702
03-17-09, 7:52 pm
Buy the iron set and buy two 45lb bumpers. You're getting alot more weight, and the only weights that touch the ground are the larger 45's. I see no reason to have bumpers on the smaller weights, do you really need to drop your curl bar???

Shaun

Good point.

You need 2 bumper 45s minimum, but on the other hand 25 lb bumpers come in handy for technique work on lifts like snatches if you are unfamiliar with them.

cstmgp
03-17-09, 8:37 pm
Yeah, I suppose you just need to see what your requirements are. If you search, there was a thread earlier where a guy had some killer prices on bumpers.
Again though, I'd buy the iron, and get bumpers as necessary. Have you checked your area for used sporting goods stores?

Shaun

Sho
03-17-09, 11:27 pm
Ya... thing about where i live ppl who are in the iron game are basically all fitness center members... theres no real gyms around here and all teh Sporting good stores have pretty basic crap like sand weights and stuff... crossfit Toronto is the best place ive found in the GTA

jonschmid
03-18-09, 3:18 am
I had the same prob as I am renting and cant damage the concrete.
I wanted the extra poundage so I went with iron. The mats you get at most places just are not think enough and pricey as well. I looked into a few a few feed and livstock shops and found some nice thick huge matts for much cheaper. I dont know what they use them for, but they work nicley.

So i would g with iron. 2 45's just wont cut it.

DilleGomez
03-18-09, 5:08 pm
i have iron and wat i did was i just got some nice big sand bags and put them under each side and it worked fine for me. i love the bumpers tho since there more conveinant but if you can find somethin to pad the iron go with iron

Sho
03-19-09, 2:26 am
Brilliant! ^^

DilleGomez
03-19-09, 10:18 am
Brilliant! ^^

thannks man