PDA

View Full Version : DB Pullovers

2003Slobra
03-18-09, 12:11 am
I did some searching around and I had a question regarding Pullovers. I have always thought of them as a Chest workout, as that is where I saw the workout placed. Then I saw a type of Pullover in a back routine.

Which area would this exercise target more? I usually feel the movement in the upper chest/shoulder area, but I can see how it would work your lat as a secondary movement.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sidle
03-18-09, 10:22 am
It can work a wide area of muscles,
depending on how you do it.
I sink my but hard,
and try not to move my elbows a whole lot.
I feel it in my triceps.
I just did a little research and it says they work these muscles:
Triceps, Shoulders, Lats

Gambit
03-18-09, 10:28 am
It all depends on what you WANT to work. That said, dumbbell pullovers can be used to torch your serratus anterior, chest, back, rhomboids...almost everything. It's all mind muscle. If you do the pullover and keep pulling until the DB is over your pecs, then your pecs get emphasized. If you stop perilously over your forehead (and keep your ass low to the ground,) then you're putting extra stress on the lats.

And don't forget there are always variations. I feel I hit my lats better when I use a barbell and stay straight-armed doing pullovers. There's also the machine version that takes the supporting muscles out the equation and allows you to target your back and serratus.

Just focus on the muscles you want to work

mritter3
03-18-09, 11:33 am
i do them every couple weeks to keep myself honest, there a great exercise and they can work a ton of different muscle groups, i def. feel the whole rip cage expansion when you got 90lbs and stretching it to the max, i def. will keep doing these for some time.

In Flames
03-18-09, 3:21 pm
I always perform them with Chest. Something along the lines of this.

3 x 4-6 Incline Barbell Bench
3 x 6-12 Incline DB Bench
3 x 12-15 DB Pullovers
1 x 30-50 Cable Crossovers

ironbound
03-18-09, 9:14 pm
A lot of people do them for chest. I personally feel them the most in my lats and will do them at the end of my back workout. They really help you develop a good front lat spread.