PDA

View Full Version : Should leg extensions be cut from workout?

UzbeKodiak
03-21-09, 11:59 am
Currently im doing about 2 sets of warmup leg extensions before moving on to 4 sets of squats. at the end of it i do about 2-3 sets of leg extensions again. However my quads feel slightly fatigued by the time i finish everything. My ultimate goal is to bulk up. What are your takes on leg extensions? Should i be skipping them until i gain enough size? Thanks.

Littlefry
03-21-09, 12:03 pm
Many people use leg extensions as a warm-up on leg day. Id say do 2-3 light sets of leg extensions as a warm-up or at the end of your workout do 2-3 sets to failure to really fatigue those quads.

xMindgamex
03-21-09, 12:36 pm
i usaully do bodysquats to work my legs up and your legs ext after my squats and leg press.

NVR2BIG
03-21-09, 12:46 pm
leg ext. are a great way to warm up your quads. just depends if you're hitting your legs seperately or together ...ie(quads, hamstrings). How many other exercises are you doing too? that can determine whether you should hit up leg ext. again after presses.

dyskee
03-21-09, 6:01 pm
why would u cut them , they are a good addition

Firefist
03-21-09, 6:34 pm
they are great to get the blood and pump going for the warmup, and great to finish them off at the end, just like youve stated.

the only negative reason for them is for people who dont squat, hack, leg press, etc, and just do leg extensions and ham curls, and constitutes that as a good leg day. which im sure isnt a problem for anyone on this forum .=)

so go ahead and do them, just focus the majority of your energy towards your compound movements.

shizz702
03-21-09, 7:45 pm
I'd say just use them for a warm up, and leave it at that.

mfl5027
03-22-09, 12:13 pm
They can be useful--if you want to isolate your quads. But I'm not a fan of using them to warmup for squats. Sure they'll warm up your quads, but what about your calves, hamstrings, and glutes? Warm up all of the muscles you're going to use.

Aggression
03-22-09, 12:26 pm
I start with leg extensions, but they're anything BUT a warm-up. I hit about 15-20 reps for 3-4 sets, with a strong pause at the top of the movement to really contract the quads. I then sometimes finish up with extensions on the hammer strength, going 1 leg at a time, again really squeezing at the top.