PDA

View Full Version : Bench Press Assistance???

FarBeyondDriven
03-21-09, 11:47 pm
Guys i'm wanting to up all my 1rms appearance is secondary to that but still important. So im wondering just how much if any help exercises like pec dec flies, DB Flies, pullovers and cable x-overs will be to increasing me bench strength? Current 1rm is 190lbs

Dead(Lift)
03-21-09, 11:50 pm
Those are all BB exercises, and will help slightly but not as much as your big compounds such as military press, rows, bench(of course). Do those last in your workout if you do them at all. Try Bill starr's 5X5 or westside barbell bench routine.

Cstlfx
03-22-09, 12:10 am
Check out Eric Downey's Journey. Check out what he does for secondary exercises, he definitely knows what he's doing.

Also, form is huge for bench press. Check out some powerlifting videos to watch form. A BB form is very different from a powerlifting form.

dedsqtbnch
03-22-09, 3:42 am
Check out Eric Downey's Journey. Check out what he does for secondary exercises, he definitely knows what he's doing.

Also, form is huge for bench press. Check out some powerlifting videos to watch form. A BB form is very different from a powerlifting form.

yep and you need to decide wich one you want more cause you cant have both or you can but good luck

so wich is it looking goood or lifting more than everyone else

FarBeyondDriven
03-22-09, 6:39 am
ok thanks guys. So given my stats and fact i have been lifting for a year but only taking it seriously the last couple months what sort of weight should i be aiming for in the short term? Cos my squat and dead are both about 350lbs so in comparison my bench is weak. And i want to look good yeah but strength is more important to me.

mfl5027
03-22-09, 12:10 pm
Your bench is just about where it should be relative to your squat and deadlift. You should never be able to bench what you can squat or deadlift (your leg muscles are bigger for a reason).

For accessory, you probably don't need extra chest work. It sounds like you're into powerlifting, so if you're using that style of benching, it's much more taxing on triceps. But really you have to take a "bodybuilding" approach and find where your weak points are and hit those muscles hard for accessory.