PDA

View Full Version : Lifting on a cut

IronAnejo
03-22-09, 8:49 pm
Hey all,

I've been lurking here for some time and I've learned a lot.

One of the things I've finally come to realize is that I'm not going to be the "chosen one" to gain muscle mass while losing fat simultaneously. Now that I'm committed to a long-term struggle representing bulking and cutting cycles, I also realize I really have no idea what changes to implement in my training to preserve mass and strength while ruthlessly burning fat. Advice is much appreciated.

Here's the deal. I'm not a powerlifter or a bodybuilder. I'm just a big dude who wants to be huge, strong, and healthy. I've got about 30lbs of fat to lose. Currently, I'm doing all of the major mass movements and classic exercises in what I consider to be a well-rounded 4 sets of 10-8-6-4. I get good pumps and see good strength and mass gains. How should I alter my training while I'm cutting?

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

MrMonday
03-22-09, 10:02 pm
The same training you did to build the muscle is going to be the training that keeps it on you when you diet down.

I say don't change your program at all. You need to be able to use your strength in the gym as your gauge for how your diet is going.

If you start to lose a significant amount of strength on your lifts, you're either dieting too quickly, or you need to get in more protein.

If you are losing weight and your strength stays about the same, then all is well, the diet is going perfectly.

IronAnejo
03-23-09, 4:53 pm
The same training you did to build the muscle is going to be the training that keeps it on you when you diet down.

I say don't change your program at all. You need to be able to use your strength in the gym as your gauge for how your diet is going.

If you start to lose a significant amount of strength on your lifts, you're either dieting too quickly, or you need to get in more protein.

If you are losing weight and your strength stays about the same, then all is well, the diet is going perfectly.

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the advice.

Any other suggestions, tips, etc?

-Mike

jonsbsn
03-24-09, 12:33 pm
good luck on being the chosen one. Although I'm not so sure its all that bad to lose some muscle on a cut. I lost 15lb in about 2 months and my friends all asked how much weight I had gained. Getting down to < 8% bf makes you look so much bigger even with muscle loss. The biggest thing is diet for sure but if you have that covered I can give you a couple training tips.

Jump rope in between sets... it burns so many calories and keeps your heart going.

Do super sets ALL THE TIME. Even now that I'm back on somewhat of a clean bulk I load my work out with them because they are efficient and aid in cardio improvements.

Every few weeks do high rep/intensity work outs. For example, I did the 300 workout just for "fun" at the end of one of my weeks. Its fun,they kick you in the ass, and spark some knew muscle growth/weight loss.

Plyometrics.... amazing: These really keep your body guessing and are a very high intensity form of cardio that reduces muscle break down. It also improves leg explosiveness when you incorporate olympic lifts and box jumps as I did.

I know this is not all traditional stuff but that's why I like it. And when is the last time pros and true athletes were traditional. haha