PDA

View Full Version : For those who deadlift...

StockRock
03-24-09, 3:44 pm
What kind of grip do you use? I use double over instead of over under and I pulled 495 2 months ago; I weigh 180. Granted I do not deadlift raw after 315. Before witnessing my first power meet I have never questioned my grip.

I have been trying to use over under and I tend to sway to one side and ruin my form. Am I missing out on anything using my current grip? I know a guy who deadlifts double under and pulled 600 the other week.

Just wondering...

ghost
03-24-09, 3:47 pm
left hand over, right hand under. missing fingers on my right hand and i dont have the greatest of grip with what i do have on my right hand.

trainer89
03-24-09, 3:53 pm
I always use a pronated grip for both of my hands. I dont like to be uneven. Just a mental thing I guess.

prowrestler
03-24-09, 3:55 pm
left hand normal grip, right hand underhand like a curl.

B.C.
03-24-09, 4:06 pm
I go double over if I'm repping. I just can't seem to get comfortable with the over under for longer sets. I do use the over under if it's just a double or single. I think the over under grip keeps my upper body more upright, less chance of rounding my back. It's probably a mental thing, to keep from torquing my elbow

Gambit
03-24-09, 4:16 pm
I've been working on the hook grip.

B.C.
03-24-09, 4:24 pm
I've tried the hook grip before. It's a bit painful, but it does provide a good grip. There's a lot of questions on deadlift grips all over the boards here. There's specific threads on the hook grip if any of you guys are curious...just use the search function. There's a thread for powerlifters in the "Ask the Pros" section too. I'll bet there's a ton of info there.

Classified09
03-24-09, 8:02 pm
Definitely over under. More than 2 plates with double over and I lose it. :( should probably work on my grip some more.

StockRock
03-24-09, 11:19 pm
I mean, I love going raw every now and then. But I dont know, straps are wonderful when Im double over and trying to lift heavy ass weight.

I guess to each is own

mritter3
03-25-09, 5:36 pm
over/under it just feels more comfortable but i don't use grips it just doesn't feel natural,

mark
03-25-09, 6:11 pm
stick with the double over hand grip... i take it you are hook gripping as well?

The double over hand grip will help keep you balanced, stop you from swaying, helps with getting your hips through easier, and for some people even helps shorten their stroke.

So why would you want to use an over under grip if you're not having problems holding onto the bar?

jonsbsn
03-26-09, 10:49 am
well if you are using straps the double overhand is easy. Try going raw for all your weight using the mixed grip. I do left under right over. I haven't used straps in at least a year and I'm getting stronger still.

Josh04
03-26-09, 11:31 am
I do double over-hand grips. I prefer it because my hips seem to be cock-eyed doing a over-under grip. So I have a feeling that if I do an over-under and I do too much weight, something could go wrong. But, yah know.. it's just a preference thing.

Ph3n0m
03-26-09, 1:48 pm
I tend to pull with left over/right under. Im a righty, so it definitely feels more natural to have the more solid grip with my dominant hand. And honestly, I find the over/under to stabalize me more while im lifting heavy. kinda like a counterbalance.

BubbyLight
03-26-09, 6:00 pm
over under for me...but whatever feels good for you...ya dig?

Cellerator65
03-26-09, 7:10 pm
double over til 315, then over under up til my max... no straps.

wedge
03-27-09, 10:28 am
Left hand over, right hand under.

Barbenders Babe
03-27-09, 1:32 pm
just a suggestion for those who DL. depending on what type of gym you workout at or instructors you know. . . i designed a stretch/flex class for our powerlifters & bbs. i target the bench, squat and dl stances to give these guys more flex and less injuries. i put them thru a full body stretch with yoga moves and then take them in deep stretches in the core to get more of an arch on their bench, deeper, longer squat stretches to get more power, and extra hamstring attention which helps with DL and stiff backs. if you can have your gym or find an instructor that would help you out to design a class like this for you and would like more info, tell them to contact me and i'd be happy to give them some advice. . . . they also like the "rock & roll" version of yoga music.