PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone else do this to compete?

benzbilly
03-25-09, 6:03 pm
So I have to know, am I the only one who trains and eats just to train, eat and be a big summbitch? Truly I hope not. It's not that I don't care about what I put into my body. I know the difference between acceptable and unacceptable foods. I've dieted a little here and there just to see what I could accomplish and as part of friendly wagers. I'm serious about my training. Obviously not as serious as someone who is trying to make a living in this game, but I work up a considerable sweat and get seriously sore(sore enough to have to let people pass by walking up stairs at work after leg day). This doesn't mean I will never enter a competition either, it's just never crossed my mind before. I pay attention to bodybuilding competitions and have been to a couple big ones, the Southern States in Ft. Lauderdale most notably. Certainly I don't begrudge anyone who thinks I'm an idiot for bringing this up but I hope I don't sound like a heretic. I think part of the reason is my job. Now I know everyone else here has jobs, families, other priorities etc. but I find I need to split my time equally between job/training if I want to make a living or get better in my chosen field. Any feedback is welcome, I would love to see arguments for/against this topic

pmug0000
03-26-09, 12:14 am
Of course not everyone does this to compete. There are plenty of us out there who just do it for the pure enjoyment of it. I have no plans to get on stage or enter a powerlifting competition, but with that said I couldn't imagine a life without taking lifting and diet seriously.

rocky36
03-26-09, 1:13 am
Of course not everyone does this to compete. There are plenty of us out there who just do it for the pure enjoyment of it. I have no plans to get on stage or enter a powerlifting competition, but with that said I couldn't imagine a life without taking lifting and diet seriously.

x2. I would even go out on the limb and say most of the memembers here do not compete, they just have a passion for the sport and for the iron game in general, wether it be getting stronger, or trying to carve out a masterpeice as a body.

benzbilly
03-26-09, 10:03 am
I was sure I wasn't in the minority on this one. I guess most of the posts I paid attention to were about someone preparing for a competition.

DEADn
03-28-09, 7:19 pm
Benzbilly
I don't train to compete. I train because I like it plus it gives me strength and size which is why I started it in the first place. I think that if I did this to compete I would probably stop doing it because it would not be fun for me anymore. It would be too stressful.

I have been to a bodybuilding comp and a powerlifting comp. I love the powerlifting comps better yet I don't wanna train like one. Bodybuilding comps. to me are boring but I would rather train that way.

jeff00z28
03-28-09, 7:24 pm
i might do a p/l meet but might not. its just not that appealing to me, too many rules id rather do whatever i want in the gym

Mickey
03-31-09, 4:54 am
I might compete someday, but if I don't it ain't gonna break me. I do it, as I think most of us do, just to do it. Because most people can't and they're jealous that we can. Just do it to better yourself; this is the best part of it, the feeling you get everytime you obtain a PR.

benzbilly
01-29-10, 2:00 pm
Damn, I almost forgot I started this thread. Thanks for the feedback everyone. the responses are kinda what I figured to get. I may start looking at a local bb show or pl meet in the future. I joined a new gym owned by bodybuilders. It's full of bodybuilders and powerlifters so it's very motivating...and intense.

Birdman
01-29-10, 2:54 pm
Me personally, i have every intention to compete in the future, but this was not always my dream. Hell, 3 years ago if you woulda told that i would be where i am now i probably woulda laughed you in face. But as i delved deeper into bodybuilding and seen the true beauty and symmetry of the human body at work and how it can be manipulated by diet and exercise, i was hooked and there was no looking back. My life of mediocracy had new meaning, i had something to aim for.

TigerAce01
01-29-10, 3:00 pm
I had a minor breakdown a couple of years ago, and I pondered why I do what I do, in every aspect of my life. When it came to training, I made a list of reasons...

1) Because I love it...plain and simple.

2) I need a competitive outlet.

3) I like being able to say I have done strong things some people will never be able to do.

-Ace

Beowulf
01-29-10, 3:02 pm
So I have to know, am I the only one who trains and eats just to train, eat and be a big summbitch?

Nope. Many here do compete. But many more just lift to get bigger, stronger............. Badder.

benzbilly
01-29-10, 6:25 pm
I had a minor breakdown a couple of years ago, and I pondered why I do what I do, in every aspect of my life. When it came to training, I made a list of reasons...

1) Because I love it...plain and simple.

2) I need a competitive outlet.

3) I like being able to say I have done strong things some people will never be able to do.

-Ace
This is a good summary for me as well. While I don't need a competetive outlet I do need an outlet nonetheless. My job can be very frustrating at times & if I am not working on something I am not making any money. If I didn't have a barbell to vent my frustrations on I would be a total asshole & completely miserable at work

Sprint
01-29-10, 9:49 pm
I train hard, eat big & make sacrifices but have never competed. Like you I'd never say never but it's not as if I'm aiming for it specifically. I guess Im a bit different as Im a Personal Trainer and I find being in good shape helps with that. You wouldn't listen to a fat sod giving you advices on how to lose weight.
I give it all during my workouts and right now I've got a plain grilled chicken breast on a fork and a glass of water. Apart from the Personal Training, I do it purely for the challenge the feeling you get when you hit new numbers, the pump and the fact that I love being able to have a say in my body shape. I got into this long before Personal Training, that kinda grew from the training, as I did.
As you can see from the other replies, you're definitely not alone in dreaming solely of standing on stage.

FewL4no1
01-29-10, 10:19 pm
I agree with everyone. For me, it's about a healthy and fun lifestyle that most people don't take their time to do. Also, making those sacrifices day in and day out to accomplish something with yourself and be the best person you can be. I look in the mirror and I am proud of myself. Nothing else can compare to that feeling.

I also want to go into the field of sports science, personal training and gym ownership. The most rewarding thing in life is giving back to people what you have learned, and with how much of a positive impact the bbding life style had on my life, I want others out there to experience it as well.

"The strongest steel is forged in the hottest flame."