PDA

View Full Version : For Once, Just Do It Yourself

getapump
03-26-09, 6:05 pm
Im here to address some of this shit we keep seeing constantly popping up. "How is my diet"... "look at my new training program"... "what do you guys think of this"... "i heard this will do such and such"... jesus fucking christ its the same recycled shit over and over and over again. there are only so many ways you can lift a weight.... thas it the fucking end. you need to learn excersise orders,rep schemes and timing on your own. fucking experiment yourself and find out what may or may not work for you. no internet message board can give you what you need to find... when i first started lifting i went out and bought a mag. nextmonth same thing. i continually did this for awhile, and learned eventually that you cant follow a one size fits all program... you have to tailor things to met your own personal needs... so i switched shit up. and keep switching up. playedwith my caloric intake... if you are not in a fucking pre contest prep do not fucking worry about the carbs in the steak sauce... or the yolks in ur eggs... and 93/7 lean ground round... lets see if i do shoulders today,then i can rest for 3 days so they will be ready to hit chest... or i can do chest today and shoulders tomorrow so they have 6 days off to be ready for next week...what o what should i do??? fuckin figure it out yourself... noone else can tell you because they are not you and what works for them may not work for you. or they might not have the foggiest idea in the first place... cmon guys if you have to post a lifting program up for all to see, just to get a nice little pat on the ass and a "go get'em tiger" from a fucking COMPUTER SCREEN, then i jsut dont know what to say... does others approval of your program really help you sleep better? "i want to cut look at my pics"... really? you want to cut, you have made your fucking decision why ask for others opinions??? grab the bull by the fucking horns, jump in headfirst and fucking learn some things first hand... the way it should be... im sure alot of you are thinking who is this asshole, were here to help everyone... cmon you guys know that only those that help themselves are worthy of outside help to begin with... some questions that i see i would think that that person had never been inside a weight room or seen a diet plan... read an article on this website... read a mag... searched the web... read a bb book... go ahead and tell me im wrong for thinking this way, but how many times can the same questions be asked... and answered the same way... time and time again... will this have any effect on those threads? no, im a realist and know that it won't... but i believe it needed to be said regardless...

this thread was not directed at any one person or poster inpaticular.. just somethin ive noticed since i began frequenting here.

theharjmann
03-26-09, 6:24 pm
Im here to address some of this shit we keep seeing constantly popping up. "How is my diet"... "look at my new training program"... "what do you guys think of this"... "i heard this will do such and such"... jesus fucking christ its the same recycled shit over and over and over again. there are only so many ways you can lift a weight.... thas it the fucking end. you need to learn excersise orders,rep schemes and timing on your own. fucking experiment yourself and find out what may or may not work for you. no internet message board can give you what you need to find... when i first started lifting i went out and bought a mag. nextmonth same thing. i continually did this for awhile, and learned eventually that you cant follow a one size fits all program... you have to tailor things to met your own personal needs... so i switched shit up. and keep switching up. playedwith my caloric intake... if you are not in a fucking pre contest prep do not fucking worry about the carbs in the steak sauce... or the yolks in ur eggs... and 93/7 lean ground round... lets see if i do shoulders today,then i can rest for 3 days so they will be ready to hit chest... or i can do chest today and shoulders tomorrow so they have 6 days off to be ready for next week...what o what should i do??? fuckin figure it out yourself... noone else can tell you because they are not you and what works for them may not work for you. or they might not have the foggiest idea in the first place... cmon guys if you have to post a lifting program up for all to see, just to get a nice little pat on the ass and a "go get'em tiger" from a fucking COMPUTER SCREEN, then i jsut dont know what to say... does others approval of your program really help you sleep better? "i want to cut look at my pics"... really? you want to cut, you have made your fucking decision why ask for others opinions??? grab the bull by the fucking horns, jump in headfirst and fucking learn some things first hand... the way it should be... im sure alot of you are thinking who is this asshole, were here to help everyone... cmon you guys know that only those that help themselves are worthy of outside help to begin with... some questions that i see i would think that that person had never been inside a weight room or seen a diet plan... read an article on this website... read a mag... searched the web... read a bb book... go ahead and tell me im wrong for thinking this way, but how many times can the same questions be asked... and answered the same way... time and time again... will this have any effect on those threads? no, im a realist and know that it won't... but i believe it needed to be said regardless...

this thread was not directed at any one person or poster inpaticular.. just somethin ive noticed since i began frequenting here.

what you say makes sense.

BUT, you say people need to pick up a mag etc.......well.....mags like MD and Flex are mainly directed at juiced up people....and the average person on this forum isnt into that. SO you say pick up a mag....well this forum IS like picking up a mag...its an information hub

Its a forum dude....a unique forum at that....its for the pros, and its for the beginners.....im looking back at the threads i started when i first joined this forum and sometimes think..."was i fucking stupid or what"!

but it was those stupid questions etc that got me the knowledge i have now

This is a forum....its for questions.....advanced and beginner.
Its helpful....very helpful at that.

We were all naive and didnt know much about training when we started.....i can bet you that there are at least 10 people who u spoke to when u started and thought u were an idiot with regards to the questions u asked.....u still learnt stuff.....and now you have the knowledge

Thats what the beginners on this site are doing. Everyone starts without a clue....its up to the "seasoned" guys to help them...keep the bodybuilding/powerlifting game going.

Peace

TigerAce01
03-26-09, 6:27 pm
2) Leave Your Ego At The Door ...
ILS... ELS... Lifters cheating with more weight than they can rightly handle... We've all seen it out there. Hubris? Insecurity? Who knows why and who fucking cares. It's not our place to judge. Live and let live. In here, we don't need any of that. We don't need the egos or the attitudes... We don't need to hear how you're better than everyone else in your gym, how you're more hardcore. There is always someone bigger and stronger than you... In here, we expect humility and respect... We expect an atmosphere of support and positive thinking. In here, the underdog will have his day. Cuz in the end, the only person that matters, the only one you need to impress, is the one looking back at you in the mirror.

-Ace

ghost
03-26-09, 7:13 pm
what you say makes sense.

BUT, you say people need to pick up a mag etc.......well.....mags like MD and Flex are mainly directed at juiced up people....and the average person on this forum isnt into that. SO you say pick up a mag....well this forum IS like picking up a mag...its an information hub

Its a forum dude....a unique forum at that....its for the pros, and its for the beginners.....im looking back at the threads i started when i first joined this forum and sometimes think..."was i fucking stupid or what"!

but it was those stupid questions etc that got me the knowledge i have now

This is a forum....its for questions.....advanced and beginner.
Its helpful....very helpful at that.

We were all naive and didnt know much about training when we started.....i can bet you that there are at least 10 people who u spoke to when u started and thought u were an idiot with regards to the questions u asked.....u still learnt stuff.....and now you have the knowledge

Thats what the beginners on this site are doing. Everyone starts without a clue....its up to the "seasoned" guys to help them...keep the bodybuilding/powerlifting game going.

Peace

harjmann... you fucking nailed it on the head brother. This board was created for the sole purpose of spreading knowledge. questions need to be answered. and the only way to get them answered is by ASKING the question. Hell, I e-mail bobby fields, or brandona, or sam byrd, or irbs, or eric downey constantly asking questions.

but if i didnt... i wouldnt know the answer. I have been on this board since it began... and seen all sorts of questions, but they never really get old.

so ask away.

xMATT182x
03-28-09, 7:09 am
We're all here to learn dude, I guess we are looking to gain knoweldge from people first hand that have been doing this for years. We all want to succeed on our own and say we earned it all but no matter how you stack in man, we learn from each other and then figure out what works for us. Thats all I gotta say.

Ricky P
03-28-09, 8:26 am
I lean towards rcrott's answer, this is a place to spread knowledge and help each other out. On the other hand, the search function needs to be used much more before we start asking the same questions. I see reason for both statements here, but above all the Forvm is a place to ask and answer questions of all varieties that have to do with weight lifting and the life....

sanga
03-28-09, 9:11 am
Ok after watching this thread and looking at the replies (very good and on track too I might add lads) I have my own comments.

First, yes the same questions day in, day out, can seem like ground hog day but with a little help we can steer people onto using the search button so they can do a little research and reading then come back and ask more questions if they need clarity or explaination, I see this all the time but as has been said we all were beginners once.

Second I don`t care if you are a seasoned pro or a rank beginner if you need help and advice and have posted asking for it then I will give my experience, advice or point you in the direction to get the help you require, we all need help sometimes, we should not discriminate no matter how old or how new to this game, help is here for all that need it, if you don`t get what you need then PM me and I`ll do all I can, I know I speak for every watchman and henchman in that too plus the majority of this forum.

In my opinion a person new to lifting can get no better start than to read the training and dieting for beginners articles found in those sections, I usually point new people to these areas as there is so much info there, if they then decide to train on a six day split that a pro would use for a top show and follow a keto diet while weighing 140lb then at least he/she has read the advice in the articles and has decided against it and gone their own way, most listen, learn and grow in my experience.

This type of thread is good for the forum every now and then as in my opinion it reinforces the strength and unity we have here and it gives reassurance and ease to those that may be a little hesitant to post, an example is the train with the pros thread, most people didn`t post on that, never be afraid to post a question for fear of ridicule or looking stupid, it won`t happen here, if it did then that post would last 5 minutes before being deleted and the poster warned and you can take that to the bank.

getapump, please be assured my post above is not a dig at you at all, you have very valid points but we must address these and we must cater for everyone, ok people should think things out for themselves in your opinion (and mine in fact at times) but some people don`t even know where to start so post the questions, pics or routines for reassurance, this forum would be very boring if people didn`t post questions, asking for advice or confirmation that they have things right.

I`ll give you an example, I am not huge, I`ve never competed but I know a hell of a lot about most things but when I did a keto diet a while back I asked Vinny and Ox some questions purely for the reassurance I`d got things right and for their input, sometimes I`ll post things on Vinnys thread and he will come back with an answer of which I pretty much know the answer but has a little gem in there too that I`d never have thought of doing and boom it works, we are all beginners in some aspects of this sport.

Respect.

andrewT
03-28-09, 1:52 pm
bullshit.

this is like the ONLY forum on the web where you can talk without getting flamed, and I like it like that. Although we all may ask stupid questions, sometimes we don't realize until after the fact the question we asked was stupid!

relax bro, beginners will learn the ropes!

AFTazz06
03-28-09, 2:50 pm

You claim to be a realist yet you fail to see that this is a FORUM, which means this is the place for ANYBODY to ask ANY question(s) they have to help achiceve their goals. Hell we even have the privilege of being able to interact with the pros for FREE, thats unheard of in other forums. A simple solution to what seems to be a problem your having is whenever you see the same question/topic posted on a thread dont answer it, dont post in that thread. Simple as that. You need to understand that there are people here who are just starting out to lift their first dumbbell, try their first attempt at squatting, so ofcourse they're gonna ask simple questions because they're learning how to take their first steps in the iron game. I for one, dont mind helping people out, i know thats what i log on here for and i can honestly say that without the FORVM i wouldnt know the amount of solid info i know today. I personally like seeing someone try squatting for the first time and throw in a couple of jokes from my first experience to get the person into a comfortable state of mind. It seems (from what we've read here) that you dont like listening to beginners, so like i said before just dont bother reading beginner threads, there's plenty of other bros on here like me who will gladly help as best we can. No Problemo.

prowrestler
03-28-09, 3:05 pm
this is stupid on soo many levels.

if you think there posts are pointless, what the fuck do you think of this one? there is nothing in this thread that can help anyone else. its completly pointless. ironic a bit...

we dont all start out with a motherboard of knowledge in the back of our skull. we need to ask questions, take opinions, get verifications and test the waters. when i learn a new wrestling spot, i ask a shitload of questions before i attempt it, newb questions, sure, but guess what, im the fastest learner because of that.

its a forum like you said, all you see are questions being asked, how do you know that any one of the new guys do not test things out in the trenchs on their own? you dont know, so dont assume.

where the fuck does it say '' dont ask questions that are not scientificaly deep and meaningful "? theres no such thing as a stupid question. sure you may know the answere but thats due to exeprience and time. there new, they will learn and develop over time. its weird with your time and experience you could not realise that...

calling them out and putting them down is not gonna help. all its gonna do is make them feel like shit and hinder gains. way to go, congrats.

xMATT182x
03-29-09, 1:07 am
this is stupid on soo many levels.

if you think there posts are pointless, what the fuck do you think of this one? there is nothing in this thread that can help anyone else. its completly pointless. ironic a bit...

we dont all start out with a motherboard of knowledge in the back of our skull. we need to ask questions, take opinions, get verifications and test the waters. when i learn a new wrestling spot, i ask a shitload of questions before i attempt it, newb questions, sure, but guess what, im the fastest learner because of that.

its a forum like you said, all you see are questions being asked, how do you know that any one of the new guys do not test things out in the trenchs on their own? you dont know, so dont assume.

where the fuck does it say '' dont ask questions that are not scientificaly deep and meaningful "? theres no such thing as a stupid question. sure you may know the answere but thats due to exeprience and time. there new, they will learn and develop over time. its weird with your time and experience you could not realise that...

calling them out and putting them down is not gonna help. all its gonna do is make them feel like shit and hinder gains. way to go, congrats.

x2 bro

E-Train
03-29-09, 6:38 pm
X3 bro...everyone is a beginner at some point, now your just trying to make it sound like your on top...like the post before said leave the ego at the door..

Sphinx
03-29-09, 7:00 pm
To the OP, this is a bit offensive. Especially to someone like me who finds infinite knowledge from such an amazing forum such as this one, through all the people I've contacted and been fortunate enough to meet.

I've learned a lot from the forums and articles here, and that includes the 'same recycled shit' as you mentioned, some of which I am proud to contribute in hopes of learning and helping someone else like me who doesn't know enough yet.

Tell you what, if your still find yourself having a hard time and find the urge to post another topic like this, just open this topic back up and refer to TigerAce01's reply (PS. Tiger, thanks for the tips on my other topic)

B.C.
03-29-09, 9:00 pm
This thread didn't really go anywhere...I suggest that it be closed.

MetalAsh12
03-29-09, 9:04 pm
There's no reason to cause conflict or argument here; the forvm is here for a reason: It's a source of knowledge and communication between people with semi-like minds. Where would the world be if we couldn't bounce ideas off one another...?

G Diesel
03-31-09, 2:03 pm
There is something to what my man is posting here... I'm all about the acquisition and disemmination of knowledge, but at the end of the day all of my theories and plans mean nothing without practical application in the real world and learning from life experience. Trial, error and knowledge of self will often teach me just as much as the words of my sage elders.

Peace, G

arsilva
03-31-09, 2:21 pm
There is something to what my man is posting here... I'm all about the acquisition and disemmination of knowledge, but at the end of the day all of my theories and plans mean nothing without practical application in the real world and learning from life experience. Trial, error and knowledge of self will often teach me just as much as the words of my sage elders.

Peace, G

I feel like what OP is saying though is to not even ask in the first place, to then be able to apply the theories. I started seeing my greatest gains at the beginning of my Journey once I had asked questions all over the place. In order to "figure it out yourself," you gotta know what "it" is in the first place. Otherwise, you're just gonna end up injuring yourself and knockin yourself outta the game.

just my .02

AFTazz06
03-31-09, 2:25 pm
This was opened up again??

ghost
03-31-09, 2:34 pm
I feel like what OP is saying though is to not even ask in the first place, to then be able to apply the theories. I started seeing my greatest gains at the beginning of my Journey once I had asked questions all over the place. In order to "figure it out yourself," you gotta know what "it" is in the first place. Otherwise, you're just gonna end up injuring yourself and knockin yourself outta the game.

just my .02

This is true. why fall on your ass when you can ask for help.

Universal Rep
03-31-09, 2:56 pm
Some really useful points in this thread fellas. Here's my take, and I'm lookin' at it from two sides....

First, many people come cuz they see their voices and words will not be ridiculed or disrespected, as they might on other forums. There is a real sense of community here and it's based on support and help. I don't believe there's any other place like it... For novices and for IFBB pros. Where else can ya talk to pros like this???

Second, I do think some members, new and old, find it easier to post up a question without bothering to search first. It's something they've gotten used to maybe from those other forums. We live in a world where we want answers fast, instantaneously. Check out the cable news 24/7... Would it be more valuable to read first, search first, then ask a question? Sure. Would it be great if every member put some due diligence in? Absolutely. But this ain't ever gonna happen all the time...

To me, being a good member means puttin' something back into the place before takin' something out. It means investing in this place, spending time and reading what other experienced fellas have to say. I've always been taught to listen first, then speak.

Now that said, yeah, as this place grows, you'll see more of the same kinds of threads asking the same kinds of questions... So yeah, searching and researching would help everyone here. Still, I remember when I first started lifting. I didn't have a clue. Not just that, even when I had some knowledge, I wasn't sure that it was right so I'd ask others--just to confirm it.

This place is growing. We all gotta find a way to co-exist. Put something into the FORVM and I'm damn sure you'll get something out.

Crash
03-31-09, 3:08 pm

...As a man who has expericenced much in life...I can tell you for a fact that I have learnt twice as much by failing than I have succeeding...Indeed some of the hardest, yet most necessary lessons are learnt by fucking up and dealing with the consequences there of...

...Let me put it another way...Students in school learn and retain more by what they discover and learn on their own...Than by having it be preached to them...There is not a warrior among us who cannot remember the sleepy days gone by while the teacher was up at the chalkboard lecturing about the applications of transference of kenetic energy...

...I submit to you that while the classroom has its place...Absolutely nothing will replace good old fashioned real world experience...

...Strength and Honor...

ghost
03-31-09, 3:12 pm
...As a man who has expericenced much in life...I can tell you for a fact that I have learnt twice as much by failing than I have succeeding...Indeed some of the hardest, yet most necessary lessons are learnt by fucking up and dealing with the consequences there of...

...Let me put it another way...Students in school learn and retain more by what they discover and learn on their own...Than by having it be preached to them...There is not a warrior among us who cannot remember the sleepy days gone by while the teacher was up at the chalkboard lecturing about the applications of transference of kenetic energy...

...I submit to you that while the classroom has its place...Absolutely nothing will replace good old fashioned real world experience...

...Strength and Honor...

I completely agree that nothing will replace real world experience. but it does help if you have the knowledge prior to attempting something.. then if you fail, you can better evaluate why you failed. you can take that step back and assess it in a more intelligent manner. and no, i am not saying that not having knowledge prior makes you stupid.
trust me, i know how students learn. i married a high school teacher.

strength and honor brother.

GJN5002
03-31-09, 3:13 pm
I can see both sides.

1. lazyness. Some people would rather post up some shit diet and get people to fix it rather than doing some research, reading, and trying to understand how and why to eat this way.

2. Eagerness. Others have a legit eagerness to learn and to become a better athlete, these are the people I enjoy taking time to help.

Universal Rep
03-31-09, 3:14 pm
I can see both sides.

1. lazyness. Some people would rather post up some shit diet and get people to fix it rather than doing some research, reading, and tryin gto understand hwo and why to eat this way.

2. Eagerness. Others have a legit eagerness to learn and to become a better athlete, these are the people I enjoy taking time to help.

Both are welcome here. The question is, which will stay?

ghost
03-31-09, 3:16 pm
my hope is that the 2nd stays and is more of what we have....there will always be lazy people in the world. nothing we can do about that, but if people have the willingness and eagerness to learn, i am more than willing to do what it takes to help them.

Crash
03-31-09, 3:53 pm
...If you were to go back to the original post and put Machine's name on it, as well as his no bullshit, in your face style of writing and prose...Would we not all claim to be fired up for the next gym session?...Claiming and I quote "this is just what I needed"...

...As memember 1195 of the Forvm, I can remember it's inception...And the chips the majority of us bore on shoulders...All one has to do is go to be end of any section to see the hardcore style attitude that we wished to display...Then the 12 Rules were introduced in order to reduce the weight that we felt was our burden to carry...Since then it seems as though the Forvm attitude has softened to where we are more like a big brother to those in need; whether it be young or old, experienced or novice, amateur or pro...

...However, I submit that those of you who had older siblings, not only did they show you the ropes, but also gave you a swift kick in the ass when you needed it...This is not to say that we should regress back to the "Hardcore" days of Forvm's youth, (I personally, am embarrassed regarding some of my virgin posts) rather we should recognize when someone needs a firm hand rather than a gentle touch...

...Strength and Honor...

GJN5002
03-31-09, 10:06 pm
...If you were to go back to the original post and put Machine's name on it, as well as his no bullshit, in your face style of writing and prose...Would we not all claim to be fired up for the next gym session?...Claiming and I quote "this is just what I needed"...

...Strength and Honor...

true

MELTDOWN
03-31-09, 10:55 pm

Our greatest glory is not in NEVER falling, but rising up EVERY TIME we fall.

Prolly not his intent originally, but the OP has got us all thinking in some form or fashion. We as Watchmen, Henchmen, or just members here do get tired of seeing repetitive posts and PM boxes full of the same stuff. How many Cuts & creatine questions do we knock out each day? Tons !!! How many Keto diet or carb and calorie Q's hit our inbox? Tons !!! And training Q's ? Tons !!! (And being a dad of 2 growing boys, the questions over and over do start to wear). But it's exactly the same as your sessions in the gym. Rep after rep, set after set and miles on the bike or treddie. It's the same thing over and over. YOU have bang it out and find out what works. And the guy in your gym that goes around asking 7 different people " what's the best way to ??? " isn't going to gain an ounce of wisdon, knowledge or experience until his acts the answers given. But he/she is there and at least asking.
Yes there are some lazy wankers who do not want to make an effort to try and they want it all figured out for them. But equally so, there are alot of people who truly do not know or they wouldn't be asking. Think of this too..how many calls to Universal are fielded each week with the same questions but worded differently? You got it, Tons !!!
As members of the FORVM and the human race, we should help when our brothers ask the same questions to try to keep from falling. But more so, be there to help them rise when they fall.

getapump
03-31-09, 10:56 pm
Hey guys i wanted to let everyone know i appreciate the time they took to reply to my post. my point was not to discourage or offend anyone... quite the opposite really, even if that is how it turned out... i know that if i were to read that when i was starting i would have thought "fuck you ass hole", and went out and read everyfuckingthing i could get my hands on... and train harder... eat more... and read more... educate myself through trial and error...sort out the bullshit... store away the little golden nuggets... they are everywhere, make no mistake about it... you just gotta find them... i appreciate people that didnt jump down my throat too quickly, and looked at this from a different view... in my opinion, only a fool would believe that questions have no place at all... and i believe they can and should be utilized, but alot of times if you searched around even the tiniest bit, you could find it on your own... and maybe even more... the post was really an attempt to light a fire under some asses to get out there and just try different things... to read more... some of the best things you try may be a cross or hybrid of several things you read... take different things that u like from each program and use it up... use it up til its gone... someone much smarter than me said something along the lines of " theres no such thing as a stupid question"... but there is such a thing as a repetitive question, and i just thought they were just getting a little too plentiful for my taste... thats why i started this thread...

i will change gears here for a minute... what is something you have figured out on your own, that went against conventional methods, that you wished you could have figured out sooner? three for me would be as follows, like animal says training, diet, packs...
training- i used to limit myself to 9- 12 sets for all bodyparts... i had no idea how much i was short changing myself... these days 20-30 sets are all my workouts, because i CAN recover fast enough to do that many... for some people though 9-12 is plenty...
diet- i can process carbs like there is no tomorrow... i used to be into the whole low carb thing... not for me anymore my friends... i go through them like a bum does his wine...
packs- how much eaa's really do promote recovery... i used to think it would be a waste of money, but after trying eaa's pwo... wow they really do help recovery...

these are just some things i learned on my own... experimented after i thought i had what was a good info on everything... and i will never master this game...and probly never step on stage for that matter... im just a young hungry guy who likes to lift weights... and get bigger each day...but by doing things my way and adjusting from there, i continue gaining... i wish you all luck in your goals, and to anyone who hates me for this- well i was really jsut trying to help... granted, it was just in a really fucked up, mean spirited and round about way... sometimes we all need to be shaken awake... thats all

Universal Rep
04-01-09, 11:50 am
Hey guys i wanted to let everyone know i appreciate the time they took to reply to my post.

You'll find this place is unlike anywhere else. We try to keep things civil, reasonable and rational. The difference is debating, not arguing...