PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly machine better than Chest Flys?

Gio71
03-30-09, 1:32 pm
Yo Bro's aint chest flys and butterfly machine the same?
I've done today 3x 8-10 on the butterfly machine and i must say i can feel the stretch better than on chest flys what you think ?

Phil800101
03-30-09, 1:41 pm
I think it's all a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I like both, but I think that DB flyes are better simply because as with any free-weight exercise it requires the use of support muscles. That being said, the machine flyes can isolate the muscle better, especially if your form with the DBs is lacking. I know for me, it took awhile before I was comfortable with the DBs and I was able to isolate my chest with proper form. I prefer the DBs, but I still use the machine, especially for dropsets/supersets.

How is your form with the DBs? Are you keeping your elbows locked and moving the weight with your chest (by squeezing)?

With me that was my biggest problem, which is why I preferred the machine. However, once I straightened that out my preference switched to the DBs.

ronald1919
03-30-09, 1:43 pm
machine definitely easier on the shoulders. much easier to do drop, forced and even negatives.

k1usa
03-30-09, 1:52 pm
I like the machine for the final pump somtimes after a heavy chest day and sometimes I use them to get the first pump going..but DB glys...buddy....thats where I get busy with the pain...the DB's are serious and great for chest....BUT will fuck up the shoulders quick....so...I like to use both...mix it up...keep it real and frosty..

mritter3
03-30-09, 1:55 pm
i think the machine will take some stress off the shoulders and focus more on the chest, although i prefer flys because i can control the range of motion and i like to incorporate more than one muscle group if possible.

Gio71
03-30-09, 2:07 pm
I think it's all a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I like both, but I think that DB flyes are better simply because as with any free-weight exercise it requires the use of support muscles. That being said, the machine flyes can isolate the muscle better, especially if your form with the DBs is lacking. I know for me, it took awhile before I was comfortable with the DBs and I was able to isolate my chest with proper form. I prefer the DBs, but I still use the machine, especially for dropsets/supersets.

How is your form with the DBs? Are you keeping your elbows locked and moving the weight with your chest (by squeezing)?

With me that was my biggest problem, which is why I preferred the machine. However, once I straightened that out my preference switched to the DBs.

yes i had the same problem and by the way the pump was ways better than with DBs i will try 2-3 weeks to do with machine than switch it up again on DBs i think

AFTazz06
03-30-09, 2:25 pm
Pec Deck always keeps you in a strict form, with Db's you can always risk fuckin up your form and getting injured. I always try and do both in separate routines, but i find i'm more capable of squeezing my pecs with the pec deck than with Dbs.

Gio71
03-30-09, 3:06 pm
Pec Deck always keeps you in a strict form, with Db's you can always risk fuckin up your form and getting injured. I always try and do both in separate routines, but i find i'm more capable of squeezing my pecs with the pec deck than with Dbs.

yes pec deck is good too for soem change

TigerAce01
03-30-09, 3:37 pm
I love both. I use DB Flyes early on in my workout, then I use the machine near the end. While using the machine, I focus on the negative, and put as much weight up us possible. amazing pump.

-Ace

Pizzalamp
03-30-09, 8:48 pm
if by butterfly machine u mean the type of pec deck where the pads are on the forearms-then i try to avoid it because i feel it puts the shoulders into a dangerous stretch

AFTazz06
03-30-09, 9:00 pm
if by butterfly machine u mean the type of pec deck where the pads are on the forearms-then i try to avoid it because i feel it puts the shoulders into a dangerous stretch

I agree, the butterfly machine never hits my chest, i feel it tears into my delts more than stretch my pecs. I too avoid it. Pec Deck is a better machine.