PDA

View Full Version : Does stretching makes you weaker?

redskin 344
03-30-09, 8:37 pm
I have always wondered if this was true or not. Is it?

Offerstoff
03-30-09, 8:44 pm
Where did you hear this? Stretching aids in relaxing the muscles and allowing for a better flow of blood, in addition to avoiding cramping. Assiting in the flow helps clear out the lactic acid in the system to allow for a quicker recouperation period. As well, the more you stretch increases your ROM and consequently you'll be able to better target a certain muscle, allowing for a greater pump.

No, stretching is good. very good.

Giant Killer
03-30-09, 8:59 pm
I know there was a study released on this but I don't buy it. I'm not sure how long the individuals participating waited after stretching to lift.

I think that if you stretch a lot and then run right over and do your set, yes you will be weaker.

If you stretch intelligently and take some time before attempting to give maximum effort, I really doubt it will be affected.

shizz702
03-30-09, 9:16 pm
According to this you should avoid static stretches: http://stronglifts.com/5-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-do-static-stretches/

NickSP
03-30-09, 9:45 pm
I wouldn't stretch too vigorously before lifting, IMO a couple light sets of your first exercise should primarily be your warm up. I tend to stretch a bit during my workout and although many don't do it, myself included, stretching afterwards is probably only beneficial. When I stretch completely, it's usually just on an off day or something.

Ir0nClad
03-30-09, 10:27 pm
Dynamic strentching before working out, and static stretching after working out.

Cstlfx
03-31-09, 12:37 am
In short, yes.

In long, stretching makes you weaker when you stretch and your muscles are cold. Follow that with holding your stretches more than 45 seconds. Then going to lift.

If stretching (all stretching) made you weaker, how is Yoga so good? Stretching is good, improper stretching is bad. Just like improper form in lifting.

theharjmann
03-31-09, 7:38 am
who would do extreme stretches before a workout ?!?!

pre workout for me is about light warm ups on teh cross trainer/tradmill, lots of reps on the hyper extension and some leg raises and crunches to get my core warm.

postworkout i love deep fascial stretches, DC style...they are the shit!

you can almost feel ALL lactic acid flowing away and the new rush of oxygen and nutrients entering your fibres...ok thats a bit over the top but u get the point LOL

sanga
03-31-09, 8:00 am
Stretching DC style is what I do, I have got stronger and the stretches also aid in recovery, I always do these stretches after each bodypart is trained never pre workout.

mritter3
03-31-09, 9:44 am
i am with Sanga on this one I do Dc training, and they incorporate stretches a lot into the routine, they aid in a faster recovery, give you a better range of motion, and i believe make you stronger in the long run.....try doing some of the DC stretches and tell me you think they make you weaker........my guess is you wont think that.

Aggression
03-31-09, 9:49 am
From what I understand, stretching PRIOR to lifting is not a good idea. But stretching AFTER lifting is definitely a good way to prevent injuries, and to also tear up more fascia, which would induce greater growth (such as DC stretching)

redskin 344
04-21-09, 8:15 pm
If i did a lot of static stretches on off days, would I be weaker on a permanent basis, whether neurologially and/or muscularly?

IronAnejo
04-21-09, 10:13 pm
Everything I've read indicates that stretching can only increase the production of muscle. Daily stretching has also been recommended for prevention of injury and increase of mobility. What have you seen to suggest it could make you weaker?

sodapop
04-21-09, 11:48 pm
I don't see why stretching would make you weaker.

Binney08
04-22-09, 9:26 am
well i remember reading a cnn article saying stretching improves strength up to 19%. ever since then ive been stretching daily lol

MrMonday
04-22-09, 9:31 am
I would echo what sodapop is saying here.

redskin, you seem to be WAY off track based on every post I read from you.

GJN5002
04-22-09, 10:25 am
If i did a lot of static stretches on off days, would I be weaker on a permanent basis, whether neurologially and/or muscularly?

If you do static stretching before training, its been hypothesized, that it can decrease strength and make you more susceptible to injury. Post workout and non -training days should be beneficial.

Cstlfx
04-22-09, 3:14 pm

No.

Stretching without warming up, right before you lift can make you weaker.

GODSEY
04-22-09, 4:19 pm
Dont see how this can be true, if anything, it would help flexibility and muscle soreness...

Ksberry
04-22-09, 6:24 pm
The theory is that stretching immediately before lifting / or sprinting will reduce power , because of a increased elasticity. Sort of like if you take a rubber band then it will loose some of its elasticity or 'pop' . But the thing is that the power reduction is so miniscule that it wont hinder you . The no stretching before hand is generally for elite sprinter or other explosive type athletes. Also this only applies to STATIC stretching IMMEDIATELY before lifting or exercise. Not during the day, or afterwards.

Fricano
04-22-09, 6:31 pm
The theory is that stretching immediately before lifting / or sprinting will reduce power , because of a increased elasticity. Sort of like if you take a rubber band then it will loose some of its elasticity or 'pop' . But the thing is that the power reduction is so miniscule that it wont hinder you . The no stretching before hand is generally for elite sprinter or other explosive type athletes. Also this only applies to STATIC stretching IMMEDIATELY before lifting or exercise. Not during the day, or afterwards.
Could not have said it better. Basically dont do any static stretching before weightlifting. If you want to stretch do some dynamic stretches. Personally I just warm up with lighter weights until I feel ready to go. You should stretch after workout to prevent DOMS(Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). Good Post Ksberry.

Young&Hungry
04-22-09, 6:38 pm
To quote the great Jim Wendler: "Want science and statistics? Fuck you, I have scars and blood and vomit." I static stretch up to 5 times a week, including before workouts where I squat, deadlift/o-lift, or train strongman events and did the same for my meet in March. This was a state championship meet and I won my weightclass and set an all time record in the total and the third best all time power clean for my weight class as well. Not static stretching is an excuse for fat unathletic assholes to be fat unathletic assholes. You really gotta quit overcomplicating shit with all these science and studies and get some time under the bar Redskin.

Ksberry
04-22-09, 6:47 pm
Lets not become angry over those that ask questions. If this isnt a safe place to search for knowledge then where is. Also I believe by his being on this forum he is spending time under the bar.

Young&Hungry
04-22-09, 7:53 pm
Lets not become angry over those that ask questions. If this isnt a safe place to search for knowledge then where is. Also I believe by his being on this forum he is spending time under the bar.

I never showed anger in the post in question. I just feel passionate about what I do and that sometimes echoes the wrong tone, and if that's the case for you or anyone else I apologize. And that part about being on the Forum...you'd be shocked.

Ksberry
04-22-09, 8:55 pm
I never showed anger in the post in question. I just feel passionate about what I do and that sometimes echoes the wrong tone, and if that's the case for you or anyone else I apologize. And that part about being on the Forum...you'd be shocked.

Haha I understand,im the same way sometimes
And to the latter part....touche'

Big Wides
04-22-09, 10:22 pm
stretch no matter what, it makes you that much better of an athlete, helps in muscle repair and growth, plus what's the point of being big and not being able to tie your own fucking shoes. Stretch it out

jcronk
04-23-09, 11:59 am
Well whats the difference between static and dynamic stretching?

But i have always just warmed up the muscles then stretched, even on off days, hate to stretch cold muscle.

Ksberry
04-23-09, 1:31 pm
static stretching is your standard stretch and hold stretching.Touch your toes and hold for a 20 count. Which BTW their have been several studies indicating that any less than 3 sets of 30 doesn't increase flexibility or reduce DOMS but that is a separate issue.

Dynamic stretching uses speed of movement, momentum and active muscular effort to bring about a stretch . Unlike static stretching the end position is not held.

There is also ballistic stretching involves active muscular effort similar to dynamic stretching. However, ballistic stretching uses a bouncing or jerking movement to increase the stretch. This is the coupled with dynamic is the most common pre-game stretch in athletics.

Static http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEXIliCuNQw

Dynamic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvIGjwZ25YA&feature=related

Ballistic http://www.flashmavi.com/stretching_ballistic_stretching.shtml

jcronk
04-23-09, 1:56 pm
i thought the bouncing or jerking movement of ballistic stretching has been shown to be counter productive and/or harmful or is that just a myth

Ksberry
04-23-09, 2:02 pm
if done cold there has been examples of injury. Dynamic and Ballistic stretching are done after a dynamic( or moving) warm up.
Most athletes go in this order :
Warm-up
Dynamic/Ballistic Stretch
Activity
Static stretching

Having said this , static stretching is perfectly fine before a workout. The Power reduction is so miniscule that the average and even elite non-explosive athlete would benefit from static stretching before through the increased ROM

BigChrisF
04-23-09, 6:20 pm
Static stretching just prior to weight training will screw up the stretch reflex and the strength reduction is more significant than "miniscule". Do your static stretches on your off days and after your training. Dynamic stretching techniques are more suited for warming up before heavy/power training begins.

Ksberry
04-23-09, 6:33 pm
most studies find a 3% reduction in power output or sprint performance. Im in class now but will look for and post said studies later

mritter3
04-23-09, 6:38 pm
everything i have read and also done seem to do the opposite of what your saying bro, i feel stronger after i stretch

Ksberry
04-23-09, 6:45 pm
post the literature pls..i love reading the science behind things... but i will concur that everyone is different and as someone said that this is not just a game of science its also time and trial and error

BigChrisF
04-23-09, 10:08 pm
I've got piles of journals and whatnot that I'm looking through, but the first article I've come across is in the Scandinavian Journal Medicine Science Sports, 17:54-60, 2007. They found that static stretching for 5 minutes decreased strength and power in thigh muscles for 2 hours.

Ksberry
04-23-09, 10:09 pm
by what % tho?

redskin 344
04-23-09, 10:13 pm
I've got piles of journals and whatnot that I'm looking through, but the first article I've come across is in the Scandinavian Journal Medicine Science Sports, 17:54-60, 2007. They found that static stretching for 5 minutes decreased strength and power in thigh muscles for 2 hours.

at least its temporary

BigChrisF
04-23-09, 11:07 pm
by what % tho?

It's an abstract and it's not saying anything other than the subjects experienced reduced strength and power.