PDA

View Full Version : Physical Therapist

J 2the att
03-31-09, 4:18 pm
Hey fellas, i just got accepted into Rutgers University. I was considering going for physical therapy. I have researched it online and so far i have been having mixed opinions. So i was just wondering if anybody on this site is in this profession or know someone who is and can tell me what their life is like. Thanx

Meister
03-31-09, 5:42 pm
Hell ya bro i started out going to school for PT its a great field but now im leaning more to chemistry not really sure why but maybe i can become a mad chemist hahaha. Rutgers hell ya its a great school man make sure you weigh the options carefully, I was going to Penn State for a while to get some ground work done but check out Western Carolina for your grad or Vanderbilt if you can get in and afford it. Great schools man, and a little advice i offer is go to a smaller school and pull an assoc in bio first before you jump into the world of PT at a university. Make life easier, make sure it will transfer cause hell anatomy and physiology was a lot easier to understand when you can ask questions to a professor instead of trying to figure out when to see the professor. Just a thought bro, im sure you will make a good choice.

Firefist
03-31-09, 6:01 pm
i dont know how it is there, but im pretty sure its competitive as hell to get in, like it is here. all i can say is study your ass off bro. for me, they except only 20 people a year out of 150-200. keep good grades, get to know your proffesors, get some good observation hours in, etc. i dk, our program is get a bachloers in any field, and then apply for a DPT program.

other than that, its a great job, i know many pt's and they all LOVE their job. the work hours arent bad, they still get to do social things, family stuff, the pay is good.

mjsef88
03-31-09, 6:11 pm
I was a PT major/exercise physiology and nutrition minor until just recently.

I can tell you first hand here in Michigan that it is very, very, very competitive. Most schools only take 200-300 applications (per school), interview 1/2 of them, and only accept 1/3 of those interviewed. It's sad because it's a career field that is really hurting. Oh and they like you to have "volunteer" hours at a PT clinic (just as hard to find the hours as it is applying to the school).

I'd also echo what The Anti-Asian and Meister have said, make sure you have your life sciences down, as well as the physical sciences.

Also, here in Michigan with PT, unlike applying for medical school, they really don't care about extra activities/clubs so much as your GPA. I don't mean to discourage you by any means, I'm just giving you a heads up.

All that being said, I've worked with many PTs, both as a patient and doing those oh so precious volunteer hours. They all love their job, make some very good bank, and are very friendly people, and help out people get their lives back to normal after an injury/surgury.

Firefist
03-31-09, 6:14 pm
yeah back on that GPA thing as he stated above....

for us, they focus on the prerec GPA first (bio, chem, physics, etc) before they do your TOTAL GPA. important to keep both of them up!

mjsef88
03-31-09, 6:40 pm
yeah back on that GPA thing as he stated above....

for us, they focus on the prerec GPA first (bio, chem, physics, etc) before they do your TOTAL GPA. important to keep both of them up!

Same way they do it here. But what I'm trying to say is (from what I heard (read: reliable source, not some random person in a conversation.)) is that the interviewing board didn't really seem to care if you were involved with any sort of student club, sport or frat/serority. Just GPA and an interview to more or less prove that you were who you said you were.

As opposed to a Med School interview, where there's a chance that you can still get in with a slightly lower GPA, but a shit ton of clubs/activities on your resume.