PDA

View Full Version : Drink Protein Shake Between Meals?

Gio71
04-02-09, 11:35 am
Is it ok to drink protein Shakes between two meals ?

AFTazz06
04-02-09, 11:59 am

Ofcourse, just make sure the shake counts as a meal and you drink it 2-3hour AFTER your meal.

JUGGERNAUT
04-02-09, 12:11 pm
No problem at all, half the time I have a shake with a meal too.

Big C
04-02-09, 12:12 pm
Same here. Fills me up that much more.

No problem at all, half the time I have a shake with a meal too.

C.Coronato
04-02-09, 12:14 pm
When i originally bulked back about 4 years ago, prior to knowing much of anything. I took a certain shake that had enough fat in it to be a weight gainer, but it was just so damn good and 4-5 hamburgers plain after my workouts. No buns, no cheese. Healthy? Eh.. Great for putting on size? Absolutely.

JUGGERNAUT
04-02-09, 12:33 pm
Same here. Fills me up that much more.

Nobody gets as jacked as you skipping any shake or meal!

Gio71
04-02-09, 1:49 pm
Ofcourse, just make sure the shake counts as a meal and you drink it 2-3hour AFTER your meal.

i mean that way : for example- 5pm:meal, 6pm: Protein Shake, 7pm: meal

that what i meant with between two meals

widdlewade44
04-02-09, 3:00 pm
i mean that way : for example- 5pm:meal, 6pm: Protein Shake, 7pm: meal

that what i meant with between two meals

Is your metabolism pretty high and stoked? If it is, then eat up. The idea is to not go longer then 2-3 hours between feeding sessions. Especially with intense training, bulking, 2 a days, etc.

Kevin
widdlewade44

AFTazz06
04-02-09, 4:24 pm
Is your metabolism pretty high and stoked? If it is, then eat up. The idea is to not go longer then 2-3 hours between feeding sessions. Especially with intense training, bulking, 2 a days, etc.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Exactly, well said.

MVP
04-02-09, 11:52 pm
Protein shakes are fine. People have beef with them and call it unnecessary with the opinion that you should be relying on whole foods.

Groceries are expensive, no one has time to set around and cook all day, etc. There's various reasons for someone to have a conventional whey protein shake.

I finish up each of my meals alternating with one scoop of musclemilk with milk or one scoop of whey protein with milk.

AFTazz06
04-03-09, 1:03 am
Protein shakes are fine. People have beef with them and call it unnecessary with the opinion that you should be relying on whole foods.

Groceries are expensive, no one has time to set around and cook all day, etc. There's various reasons for someone to have a conventional whey protein shake.

I finish up each of my meals alternating with one scoop of musclemilk with milk or one scoop of whey protein with milk.

I agree, but whole foods should ALWAYS come first. Protein shakes are nice and all, but if you look at all the pros, they all rely on whole foods more than shakes. They'll throw in 1-2 shakes a day, thats it. So saying that "no one has time to set around and cook all day" isnt correct, you should plan to do most if not all your cooking in bulk on the weekends. And ofcourse, thats only if your serious about making gains. Keep in mind that food is what makes you grow, supplements only do exactly that supplement (aid) your growth.

FewL4no1
04-03-09, 1:09 am
I agree, but whole foods should ALWAYS come first. Protein shakes are nice and all, but if you look at all the pros, they all rely on whole foods more than shakes. They'll throw in 1-2 shakes a day, thats it. So saying that "no one has time to set around and cook all day" isnt correct, you should plan to do most if not all your cooking in bulk on the weekends. And ofcourse, thats only if your serious about making gains. Keep in mind that food is what makes you grow, supplements only do exactly that supplement (aid) your growth.

Amen. Supplements, in the name itself, are sort of misleading. They are never a supplement (replacement) for whole foods, a good nights rest, a lot of water, and intense training.

My shakes themselves come right when I wake up and immediately following a workout. Basically, times I just cannot choke food down.

ATLAS64
04-03-09, 3:44 pm
Try eating a whole food snack thats no more than 250kcals that consists mostly of carbohydrates in between meals and see what happens..

Wasteland
04-03-09, 3:46 pm

Why are you asking this question--is there something that would lead you to believe it's not OK?

JUGGERNAUT
04-03-09, 3:57 pm
Try eating a whole food snack thats no more than 250kcals that consists mostly of carbohydrates in between meals and see what happens..

This is not the op's question.

ATLAS64
04-03-09, 4:17 pm
I know..its a suggestion to do something else that will benefit him a helluva lot more than slugging down just protein in between meals. Im answering his question with a response most people on here dislike; however, as an athlete it will provide more benefit to him than simply slugging a protein shake. The majority of the people on here overconsume protein and rely to heavily on "supplement" protein instead of whole food. Snacking on a whole food that consists mostly of carbohydrates will benefit and help his overall body composition the most. He would be giving his body the cleanest burning fuel that he needs thus sparing protein. Also snacking keeps the deviation away from having equilibrium in your daily energy balance which also helps in changing body composition for the better. Think of your body as a machine. Best source of energy is carbs. Don't overconsume protein causing your body to start using protein as an energy source. Protein is not an efficient energy source by any means. Spare protein with carbs. In other words..in between meals...snack on a high carb low-medium protein snack. I answered his question by asking him to think outside of the box of the norm.

ATLAS64
04-03-09, 4:19 pm
I always try to do more than just answer the question because a simple yes or no doesn't always help.

JUGGERNAUT
04-03-09, 5:20 pm
You are welcome to start your own post somewhere else then as getting off topic does no one a service.

mritter3
04-03-09, 5:40 pm
i always drink 2-3 a day and always in between meals although i do count them as a meal. usually 2-3 hours after a meal involving food

JUGGERNAUT
04-03-09, 5:51 pm

Would you like us to look over your whole diet? It's the only way to give good advice.

More detailed the better. Include stats too.

ATLAS64
04-03-09, 7:26 pm
I would love to know why I am off topic when I am answering his question. His question was simply is it ok to drink protein shakes in between meals. My answer to him is that it may be a better idea to consume whole food...or maybe have 1 scoop protein shake and complement it with carbs. If thats no answering a question with useful and RELEVENT information I dont know what is. If you want to give him the yes its fine to drink protein in between meals fine...he can do that...but it will not provide him the same benefit. So please learn think outside of the box juggernaught before you criticize me.

ATLAS64
04-03-09, 7:43 pm
I am not trying to offend you by any means. I am just offering a different view on dieting. I would really like to trade information with you and discuss dieting and go over different theories with you whenever you can. But again theres no need to criticize me for my posts. Remember its just an alternative to just slamming shakes all day. Thanks Juggernaught...hit me up anytime so we can chat

FewL4no1
04-04-09, 6:23 pm
I am not trying to offend you by any means. I am just offering a different view on dieting. I would really like to trade information with you and discuss dieting and go over different theories with you whenever you can. But again theres no need to criticize me for my posts. Remember its just an alternative to just slamming shakes all day. Thanks Juggernaught...hit me up anytime so we can chat

Agreed Atlas, there are always differing opinions on what food works best in what situations. For some people carbs are the way to go, as they are hard gainers and need more carbs and fats to maintain and gain lean muscle. It all depends on the original posters body type and goals.

As an athlete, having carbs often is definitely a good thing for you, since you are depleting your glycogen stores by sufficient amounts on a daily basis. The OP might be looking for a good protein alternative and wanting to know if shakes are warranted in his case.

Either way, I say if you are needing more protein and are having a tough time chugging down food, then a protein shake is a great alternative: fast and easy. But I agree with you Atlas, carbs are a huge part of gaining strength and size. Like many have said, we don't know the OP's goals and current diet.

ATLAS64
04-04-09, 7:05 pm
Yea once he posts those we can get a better gauge of what will work best for him. Thank for your response bro

Hybridtheory2o
04-04-09, 7:44 pm
Well I think what he meant was this. When you posted you did not say yes but try this or no but try this. You simply said try this..which technically the OP did not ask about that but nobody said your information sucked but you didnt really answer the question we still dont know if you think its okay or not we just know you think he should try something different which is fine but next time try a yes or a no followed up by a reason or an alternative so that way you are answering and giving a suggestion. Also he isnt talking about sluggin down protein shakes all day and most ppl dont even get their daily requirement of protein or water for that matter. Whole foods do come first but in a pinch or convience a shake is fine.

My answer to this question is yes it is ok. I am cutting so I make mine with water when I bulk I use milk. I do that because ive never really tried cutting before but ive never really been ripped either.

IronWilson
04-04-09, 7:47 pm
It would be fine if you made a large protein shake and sipped on it between meals. It would give you the extra calories and it would make sure you stay in positive nitrogen balance. I do this with Amino Powder in a jug of water.... works pretty good.

JUGGERNAUT
04-04-09, 8:25 pm
Well I think what he meant was this. When you posted you did not say yes but try this or no but try this. You simply said try this..which technically the OP did not ask about that but nobody said your information sucked but you didnt really answer the question we still dont know if you think its okay or not we just know you think he should try something different which is fine but next time try a yes or a no followed up by a reason or an alternative so that way you are answering and giving a suggestion. Also he isnt talking about sluggin down protein shakes all day and most ppl dont even get their daily requirement of protein or water for that matter. Whole foods do come first but in a pinch or convience a shake is fine.

My answer to this question is yes it is ok. I am cutting so I make mine with water when I bulk I use milk. I do that because ive never really tried cutting before but ive never really been ripped either.

Thanks, that was it.

JUGGERNAUT
04-04-09, 8:31 pm
I would love to know why I am off topic when I am answering his question. His question was simply is it ok to drink protein shakes in between meals. My answer to him is that it may be a better idea to consume whole food...or maybe have 1 scoop protein shake and complement it with carbs. If thats no answering a question with useful and RELEVENT information I dont know what is. If you want to give him the yes its fine to drink protein in between meals fine...he can do that...but it will not provide him the same benefit. So please learn think outside of the box juggernaught before you criticize me.

Criticize is the wrong word for sure. Bottom line is, the OP does need to provide more info on his diet. I felt you just had your opinion like it was the only answer out there and it was not related to the question by the OP. I don't think I'm being rough on you.

JUGGERNAUT
04-04-09, 8:38 pm

I wish I had time to chat really but be rest assured my career path has been "this" right here, for a very long time. So we are ok now? I do think outside the box all the time, I have to.

ATLAS64
04-04-09, 10:47 pm
I took it the wrong way...its all good. Next time I will try to answer the question first..then give a counter suggestion or idea. Which makes a lot more sense now that yall mention it. But anyway lets help a brother out.