PDA

View Full Version : Critique my deadlift form.....

04-04-09, 1:15 pm
I know my hips are high but how high? Also, Is there anything else that could be worked on(foot placement, shoulder placement over the bar etc etc). This was a "top set" of 85%x3 btw. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fL4yR_ycbE

Phil

MetalAsh12
04-04-09, 1:18 pm
That's a good amount of weight...so realistically, that's some good form for heavy weight. Some guys are gonna chime in here and say your form isn't a perfect text example, but with that amount of weight it's hard to maintain perfect form.

Good lift

brandonA
04-04-09, 1:34 pm
Your 1st move it to push the bar away from your shins...Make sure you are sitting back hard and pull the bar in to your body. You want to drag that fucker right up your shins. You want to almost fall backwards, this will cause you to pre-load the bar...aka..take the slack out...if you can hit this right, the bar will spring off the floor....

Nice pulls other wise....

-B

prowrestler
04-04-09, 2:23 pm
push ur hips threw the bar at the top.

don't stay in the bottom position for too long. when ur ready to pull, then go down to the bar, ur killin your stretch reflex and fatiguing yourself for no reason

04-04-09, 2:55 pm
That's a good amount of weight...so realistically, that's some good form for heavy weight. Some guys are gonna chime in here and say your form isn't a perfect text example, but with that amount of weight it's hard to maintain perfect form.

Good lift

Thanks man... However I need those chime in's to tell me what I need to change. Thanks again and those are some pretty big numbers you have yourself for a sub 181lb'er.

Your 1st move it to push the bar away from your shins...Make sure you are sitting back hard and pull the bar in to your body. You want to drag that fucker right up your shins. You want to almost fall backwards, this will cause you to pre-load the bar...aka..take the slack out...if you can hit this right, the bar will spring off the floor....

Nice pulls other wise....

-B

Cool. Will def try that. Thanks a lot!

push ur hips threw the bar at the top.

don't stay in the bottom position for too long. when ur ready to pull, then go down to the bar, ur killin your stretch reflex and fatiguing yourself for no reason

The first 2 reps lockout fine.... Was I still not pushing my hips through the bar? Secondly would you recommend standing first then once foot placement is straight just fly down to the bar and pull?

Phil

prowrestler
04-04-09, 3:08 pm
. on ur first 2, it wasnt bad but i would deffinatly push my hips threw harder then that. just a little more to prove you do indeed have the lift.

. what i do is set up my feet, shoot by shoulders back and chest high, get ready in my head, squat down, grip and dip my ass right before my pull. from the time i go down to my initial pull, takes me tops 4 seconds, normaly 2

04-04-09, 3:11 pm
. on ur first 2, it wasnt bad but i would deffinatly push my hips threw harder then that. just a little more to prove you do indeed have the lift.

. what i do is set up my feet, shoot by shoulders back and chest high, get ready in my head, squat down, grip and dip my ass right before my pull. from the time i go down to my initial pull, takes me tops 4 seconds, normaly 2

Sick! I'm gonna give that a try. Since I have started DL'ing about a year ago I have always got down into position like that.... I wonder how much fatiguing and taking away from my stretch reflex doing that has hindered me..? Oh well live, learn and press on. Thanks for the tips man.

Phil

BryanSmash!
04-04-09, 3:21 pm
There's lots of good observations and input already posted on this thread so I'd just like to echo what has already been said.
Also, its looks like you didn't finish locking out your last rep, which isn't too big of a deal, unless you are training for competition.

04-04-09, 3:33 pm
There's lots of good observations and input already posted on this thread so I'd just like to echo what has already been said.
Also, its looks like you didn't finish locking out your last rep, which isn't too big of a deal, unless you are training for competition.

I do plan to compete in early May. No chalk and losing my grip(sweaty ass hands) on the last rep was the reason for no lockout. Picked up some chalk this week! lol.

shizz702
04-04-09, 3:46 pm
As said, weight considered that was pretty solid lifting.

Just set up to pull like this each time and you can't go wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

BryanSmash!
04-04-09, 3:52 pm
I do plan to compete in early May. No chalk and losing my grip(sweaty ass hands) on the last rep was the reason for no lockout. Picked up some chalk this week! lol.

Heheh good deal. You'd be surprised how helpful chalk can be. I'd also recommend filming yourself doing your lifts in your singlet for best results. It makes it easier for others to critique your form, and also gets you used to doing your lifts as you'll be doing them in competition.

Powerfulkate
04-05-09, 10:08 am
Have you ever tried the "Attack" method? LOL
just kidding...that's what I call my "method" of deadlifting.
I stare that ugly mother down, get mentally prepared before I even come close to the bar, then when I finally stomp up to the bar the only thing left for me to do is yank it and conquer it.

mritter3
04-05-09, 10:15 am
with that amount of weight i think your form looked pretty good, just need to push your hips through a bit more, chalk makes a huge difference.

J Wong
04-05-09, 10:18 am
I stare that ugly mother down, get mentally prepared before I even come close to the bar, then when I finally stomp up to the bar the only thing left for me to do is yank it and conquer it.

This is how I get PRs haha.

IRBS
04-05-09, 7:03 pm
If you can engage your quads more by getting your hips down a bit it will help you generate more speed off the floor, otherwise you have to depend on your low back and hamstrings to get you moving...there have also been some other good suggestions in here as well. Solid pulling.

04-05-09, 10:43 pm

I've seen your method in action a time or two Kate..... It's def an "attack" lol.

McFly
04-06-09, 9:31 am
ok 5150, you've become quiet the deadlift addict now....lets get that squat and bench up with the same focus!!!

04-06-09, 10:25 am
ok 5150, you've become quiet the deadlift addict now....lets get that squat and bench up with the same focus!!!

Go check my last log entry in my new journey sir.

brandonA
04-06-09, 12:30 pm
Check out Bolton's new world record...see how he pulls the slack out of the bar??

-B

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/11019

04-06-09, 7:44 pm
Check out Bolton's new world record...see how he pulls the slack out of the bar??

-B

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/11019

Yes sir, I saw that yesterday! Crazy shit right there. It seems that all the slack is pulled before he applies the true power to it. Pretty amazing stuff.