PDA

View Full Version : Shocking lat and traps growth

J A Y
04-04-09, 7:43 pm
could you guys reccomend a good routine/training day to really work the lats and traps hard!

and what do you guys think about using this lat/trap day twice a week with a sufficient amount of time to recover inbetween!

workout 5 days a week too if thats helpful so could be monday, and friday did this routine/day??

be brutally honest aswell!

Firefist
04-04-09, 8:06 pm
rows, rows, rows!!!! people say that they are only good for thickness, but i used, and still do only like 3-5 sets of pulldowns, along with a shitton of bent over rows and one arms, giving the back a full stretch, and a few sets of chins. with the pulldowns, i dont use momentum. just straight down, hold the contraction, and then slowly back up. the focus on rows really works for me.

for traps, i had a problem bringing them up, but i saw this video of the house doing giant sets for traps. let me find it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrKd_eyjJ2Q&feature=related

and heres one slightly different from antoine vaillant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxjNvepsae4

these shocked the hell out of my traps, i highly reccomend them.

Firefist
04-04-09, 8:08 pm
back used to be my biggest weekness, and now along with legs, my back is my best part. i lifted 2 back days a week. monday and thursday.

ironbound
04-04-09, 9:08 pm
I've always done a lot of shrugs, but I noticed my traps really grew when I started deadlifting. Chances are though that you already deadlift if you're posting on this forum haha.

mritter3
04-04-09, 9:14 pm
bb row, deads, and wide grip chins. repeat.

J A Y
04-05-09, 9:06 am
haha ye i do deadlift, favourite lift! but yh im finkin of going right backt to basics and just wanted something to shock the hell out of the my lats to give me a good 'v' shape and the traps for a big powerful look haha! cheers for your input fella's!

shizz702
04-05-09, 9:30 am
The best thing you can do for you lats in my opinion is one arm db rows, in my experience that has what has seemed to stimulate the most growth for mine. It really isolates the lat better than anything and gives them a good contraction. Along with that I think these are the best thing you can do for your traps: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/bill-starrs-5-x-5-program-variation-per-madcow2-thanx-so-here-k-up-now-375215-32.html#post4712284

musclealchemist
04-05-09, 10:55 am
Also when you train back, make sure you dont use your index finger. If you dont use your index finger, you take your bicep out of the exercise. It sounds like it wouldnt work but it does. it works the muscle group a lot harder.

THEO13
04-05-09, 11:18 am
LISTEN
letchyou in on my own secret..
LOAD TEH BARBELL WITH WEIGHT.. THE TRAP IS SUCH A SMALL MUSCLEN RUS DOWN YOUR BACK IN THE MIDDLE(BET U IDNT KNOW THAT lOOK IT UP) BUT N E WAYS GRAB THE BAR BOUT SHOULDER WIDTH APART. STAND STRAIGHT UP AND PINCH YOUR SHOULDERBLADES TOGETHER FOR THE WHOLE TIME,,,, FOCUS ON THIS, NOW SLIDE THE BAR DOWN YOUR LEGS (STILL WITH THOSE BNLADES TOGETHER) ND SHOOT BACK UP SHRUGGING T O THEEE EXTREEEMMEEEEE .. LAOD THE f*&KING WEIGHT AND DO WORKK... TS ALL ABOPUT FORM THO... IF URR FORM GOES.. SO DOE YOUR BACK . AND SO DOES YOUR RESAULTS.... I USUALLY PUT MAX RIGHT NOW 305LBS UP WID THIS..
O N THE SECRET IS LOW REP HIGH WEIGHT WID THIS ECXCERSISE... YOU OWE ME MAYN... BUT STILL WILL NEVER HAVE BIGGER TRAPS THAN ME. peaceeeeeeee

prowrestler
04-05-09, 12:24 pm
i take a shower and my traps grow so take it for what its worth..

i found explosive, heavy, full range exercises the best. db shrugs done that way. i hardly have ever barbell shruged.

dont neglect the lower traps

Elite
04-05-09, 2:39 pm
Can we keep this on topic please. Just had to clear a pile of fluff. Yea one of the posts was a little hard to make out, but if you cant make sense of it then hey, life goes on.

Good suggestion shizz. Power shrugs look neat.

sanga
04-05-09, 3:42 pm
Deadlifts, bent rows, shrugs, all with a barbell as heavy as possible for reps, progressive resistance over time.

bradfoster
04-06-09, 7:30 am
Try one and a half rep front shrugs superset with rear shrugs and make sure you allow the bar to really stretch down the back of your legs while keeping your shoulder blades together... Or do shrugs first before upper back/delts to pre exhaust them, try it and see how you go...
As for lats, nothing beats wide grip chins, thumb on the same side as your fingers and focus on squeezing your armpits together. Another one i like is high rep (13-15) low pulley row at the end of your back routine as it fills the lat with blood and they really pump!

J A Y
04-06-09, 1:55 pm
thanx agen fella's! will deffo give all of them a try at some point or other , the power shrugs sound good! never really used a barbell for shrugs but is probably why im asking what im asking!

Preservation
04-06-09, 8:40 pm
rows rows they work like a mf so does pulldowns...

J A Y
04-07-09, 11:55 am
yo fella's , i tried the standard shrug today with the wheelbarrow sort of machine/equipment whatever you want to call it, dumbell shrugs and i found that the best exercise that hit my trap the most was behind the back barbell shrugs, really hit em hard, i had to start with real light weight to get my form spot on, and went with high reps, bout 12 - 15, maybe next week im gunna try and add a bit more weight and go to failure or maybe high reps again. glad iv found something to hit em hard tho, is about time! and thanx for all the help everbody!

ghost
04-07-09, 11:58 am
best advice in the world for free, right here.

everyone's body responds differently to different movements. what works for me may not work for you. your best method... is trail and error. if you try it and dont see any results after a few WEEKS, not just sessions. but WEEKS, then switch to something different.