PDA

View Full Version : Machines....

Big3
04-07-09, 10:48 pm
First off, I know that free weights are superior to machines, but there are some instances where the use of machines are necessary. Today, I incorporated the Cybex Incline Press and Cybex Shoulder Press machine... To my surprise, my left tricep was pulsing with pain.... this is not the first time, either. I've used this machine before, but the tricep always bothers me... I was wondering, are there any other Animals who have issues with some machines? I've even tried switching grips to no avail......

I will not use those machines again!

Gambit
04-07-09, 10:58 pm
Luckily, at my gym, we've got a shit-load of Hammer Strength equipment. It's really helped my progress, but not every machine I've tried.

We've got a HS Behind-the-Neck Press machine, and I just can NEVER get in a good groove. I always feel like the stress is in the wrong spots or that my grip is off, etc. But every few weeks, I'll get back on it, thinking that something will be different.

Just my experience, though.

AFTazz06
04-07-09, 11:23 pm
First off, I know that free weights are superior to machines, but there are some instances where the use of machines are necessary. Today, I incorporated the Cybex Incline Press and Cybex Shoulder Press machine... To my surprise, my left tricep was pulsing with pain.... this is not the first time, either. I've used this machine before, but the tricep always bothers me... I was wondering, are there any other Animals who have issues with some machines? I've even tried switching grips to no avail......

I incorporate machines into my routines whenever i can, free weights are good and all but people tend to forget that machines arent the enemy. They can help a lagging part catch up, or help attack a bodypart from a different angle. With that said, what you describe happening to your left tri, could be from your locking out your arms while pressing the weight out. You probably locked out your left arm and stressed the tri out instead of working out the aimed bodypart. Just my opinion. I would suggest to try and look in the mirror during your workout, see if you can pick up whats going on during the movement that shouldnt be happening. Also, try not to lock out your arms during the pressing movement, keep the weight constantly moving.

dyskee
04-08-09, 6:01 am
hey bro, i was very anti machines until i broke my finger so i had to work with machines only and let me tell u i grew alot.

mritter3
04-08-09, 8:11 am
my experience with machines is that you have to play with them a lot to fit your bodytype, you cannot get on there after a 110 woman/man gets off of it and just go to town, you gotta take time to make sure it fits you, i hate wasting time, so more times than none i use free weights, but every now and then i throw in a machine, but there just time consuming. but i understand why they cannot be one size fits all.

Big3
04-08-09, 10:48 am
Luckily, at my gym, we've got a shit-load of Hammer Strength equipment. It's really helped my progress, but not every machine I've tried.

We've got a HS Behind-the-Neck Press machine, and I just can NEVER get in a good groove. I always feel like the stress is in the wrong spots or that my grip is off, etc. But every few weeks, I'll get back on it, thinking that something will be different.

Just my experience, though.

I cannot find the groove for ANY Cybex machines..... sucks because some people love them.

I incorporate machines into my routines whenever i can, free weights are good and all but people tend to forget that machines arent the enemy. They can help a lagging part catch up, or help attack a bodypart from a different angle. With that said, what you describe happening to your left tri, could be from your locking out your arms while pressing the weight out. You probably locked out your left arm and stressed the tri out instead of working out the aimed bodypart. Just my opinion. I would suggest to try and look in the mirror during your workout, see if you can pick up whats going on during the movement that shouldnt be happening. Also, try not to lock out your arms during the pressing movement, keep the weight constantly moving.

The machines do not face any mirrors... I've had my partner check to see how my form is and he says nothing is wrong.... The reason I stay away from machines is because they have no carryover for football strenght. I only use them for a good pump.

hey bro, i was very anti machines until i broke my finger so i had to work with machines only and let me tell u i grew alot.

As previously posted, I don't use machines because they have no carryover for football.

my experience with machines is that you have to play with them a lot to fit your bodytype, you cannot get on there after a 110 woman/man gets off of it and just go to town, you gotta take time to make sure it fits you, i hate wasting time, so more times than none i use free weights, but every now and then i throw in a machine, but there just time consuming. but i understand why they cannot be one size fits all.

True.... I've spent a lot of time adjusting the settings, but the pain is always there, but is non existant when I use freeweights..

C.Coronato
04-08-09, 10:51 am
I like switching it up. Free weights, Bars, machines, bands, it works well for me..

Gambit
04-08-09, 11:03 am
people tend to forget that machines arent the enemy.

Dead on. I mean, you're more likely to hear of a house made of shit than to be asked "Howmuchya curl on a Cybex Iso-Incline Preacher doohickey?"

I wouldn't say that machines have NO carry-over for football. I think free weights and resistance band work (and definitely isometrics) would be the primary work for a football workout, but to say that machines have NO carryover? I don't really believe that. Sounds like an old-school Strength Coach. Just my honest opinion, though.

If it's going to make you better, do it. That's how I think about it.

G Diesel
04-08-09, 11:06 am
I like switching it up. Free weights, Bars, machines, bands, it works well for me..

Word.

Barbells, dumbbells, machines, cables, bodyweight exercises, low reps, high reps... It all works, it just all doesn't work forever. Thank God we have so many options.

Peace, G

Nightshift
04-08-09, 12:33 pm
Word.

Barbells, dumbbells, machines, cables, bodyweight exercises, low reps, high reps... It all works, it just all doesn't work forever. Thank God we have so many options.

Peace, G

Agreed!! Take advantage of everything your gym has to offer and then some. Never limit yourself to only one type of equipment. A few years ago I used to train a gym where they had some Hydraulic equipment. I used to turn my nose up at them till one day the gym was so busy I didn't have a choice. Some of the best pumps I've ever got.

live2lift
04-08-09, 1:01 pm

Only thing that I can think of is that the fixed position you are in on the Cybex machines dont "fit" you. Since you have tried everything as far as form goes I would suggest not using them. If you must use a machine then try another model that may "fit" you better. Not all machines are for all people.

KevoRidesFit
04-08-09, 1:12 pm
my gyms so crowded around the free weights and in front of the mirrors that i lose patience and just head over to the fancy machines and Hammer Strengths.i def feel sore as fuck the next day.plus i have free weights and a bench at home if anything.