PDA

View Full Version : Bench Grip

Seaseldiesel
04-08-09, 3:29 pm
When you bench, where exactly should you put your hands? My football coach tells me to keep it closer so you don't put strain on my shoulders, but my buddies have been telling me to widen my grip because my arms are really long. I have a very low bench for my size and i have been lifting for a year (but lifting seriously for only about 6 months), and they think my bench is staying low because they think i'm working my triceps more than actually working my chest when i bench cause my grip's too close.

Not like close-grip close... like about a few inches further than close grip.

any ideas? i'm desperate to increase my bench and anything that could help at all would be great.

C.Coronato
04-08-09, 3:40 pm
Find where is comfortable for you. Most guys use the rings on the bar for their pinkies. But just move it around to see where you feel it in you chest the most.

TigerAce01
04-08-09, 3:45 pm
Find where is comfortable for you. Most guys use the rings on the bar for their pinkies. But just move it around to see where you feel it in you chest the most.

x2

When you look at my bench grip, it's closer than mid grip, but further apart than close grip. A lot of people find my style weird, but it's what works best for me.

-Ace

Cstlfx
04-08-09, 3:46 pm
Find whats comfortable for you. Also, it depends on your goals. Keeping it really close uses a lot of tri's. The wider you go makes it "easier" to bench because it makes your ROM shorter.

If you're going for power, keep it wide. If you're building, keep switching the grip.

mcbeast
04-08-09, 3:46 pm
Fall on the floor and do a pushup.Where do your hands land? Push from there.

Personally my hands are placed about 1 1/2 hands over from my cgb.Thats cause of my shoulder probably tho..

fenix237
04-08-09, 4:13 pm
i will back up what TTL's said- i put my pinkies on the rings, but as i got stronger and into heavier poundages (400's) i find the strain on my shoulders is my weak point. i learned that i was using a BB'ing grip- i am now working on a PL'ing grip, hands slighly closer, tucking my elbows and utilizing more tri's and back and legs.

go with what feels best- your body is pretty good at telling you what grip gives you the best leverage. keep in mind everybody is different; some folk's chest is stronger than the tri's and vice-versa. as you spend more time under the bar, it will figure itself out

good luck bro!

AFTazz06
04-08-09, 4:16 pm
When you bench, where exactly should you put your hands? My football coach tells me to keep it closer so you don't put strain on my shoulders, but my buddies have been telling me to widen my grip because my arms are really long. I have a very low bench for my size and i have been lifting for a year (but lifting seriously for only about 6 months), and they think my bench is staying low because they think i'm working my triceps more than actually working my chest when i bench cause my grip's too close.

Not like close-grip close... like about a few inches further than close grip.

any ideas? i'm desperate to increase my bench and anything that could help at all would be great.

Nobody can really tell you how to grip when you bench, it all depends on you and your strength. People used to tell me to also grip it close, but i find that hits more of my tris and not my chest, so i found that for my chest, the wider i go the more stretch i get and the better the pump. Your the one moving the weight, so find out where you feel most comfortable and make sure your working your chest and not just using momentum to move the weight.

Seaseldiesel
04-08-09, 4:25 pm
alright guys. thanks a lot. i'll take all your tips and try to find the right grip.

my chest is my weakness, so hopefully this will help.

mritter3
04-08-09, 4:58 pm
i like to go just a few inches outside the shoulers when benching, if your having trouble and your chest is lagging go with db's for ahwile and then go back to bench i bet you will be stronger

Nick101
04-08-09, 10:08 pm
hey man i got long ass arms too and i bench with the little ring on the bar in between my middle and idex finger, its wider than most guys go but its comfortable for me. just one more thing that might work for you man. good luck!