PDA

View Full Version : How to influence others, gain power, maximize wealth, and not die

NJC_Manhattan
04-08-09, 3:58 pm
Ladies and Gentlemen,

At one point or another, man contemplates his own mortality. The first time it happens is generally around 12-13 years of age, when the brain becomes fully aware of Death and that feeling of immortality and careless of our youth is somewhat curbed. Occasionally we are reminded of how fragile people are; major tragedies, accidents, etc. and it gives that bittersweet chill of yes we are alive, but how quickly we can diminish into nothingness is astounding to say the least.

With that being said, people find solace in striving for immortality, or a legacy of sorts. Some find it vicariously through their children. Others are talked about today as if they were still alive (just this morning I read a retrospective on Ben Franklin... The author wrote in present tense as if to suggest Ben was still roaming the earth). The worst fate a man can endure is to disappear, it's as if he or she had never existed, that is to truly die. Even if one is remembered poorly, that person still lives on in some way.

Now on to the fun stuff, after years of education, working in a field that all of America hates (finance... I know, I know control yourself), traveling (living in Europe/China/Japan for periods of longer than 6 months), meeting people (almost getting married... dodged a bullet on that one), I find myself wanted to work towards my own immortality. For a while, I concentrated on myself, and I thought this was the best means to meet my end. That narcissism, however, is incorrect. A man is truly great, if he makes others feel that they too can become great. So in time perhaps I can become immortal through those I influence... So how do we do that?

And so begins an open discussion on the components of power, influence, true wealth (happiness, success, and meaning), and last--but certainly not least--how to not die.

Firefist
04-08-09, 4:12 pm
exellent topic.

i think about this alot. immoratlity is achieved in so many ways, the random acts of kindness one does in a day, volunteering yourself to organizations to help others. hell for us, teaching a newbie proper form, diet etc. Those people become affected by what we do, perhaps that person you helped had no means of shelter and you donated your time to habitats for humanity, or mabye that one guy you motivated to train would turn out to become an IFBB pro, (brian dobson and branch warren). its the little things that truly make a big difference.

i know that was just a small piece of the pie of immortality, theres so much to it.

I think of it this way, (trying to stray away from religion as much as possible to not offend individuals). Say God created man. Why did he not just make one person? We are all here to help each other.

true wealth is not material possesions, awards, power.

Its the journey, the knowlege you learn from people you meet, the experiences you have, and the people you affect.

theres no better feeling in the world than helping someone and being thanked for it. thats wealth to me.

NJC_Manhattan
04-08-09, 4:15 pm
I agree... Thanks for the post...

I also want to make clear, that this is not a religious thing... Every man from any background/faith has contemplated this at least once in his/her life.

NJC_Manhattan
04-08-09, 4:24 pm
I do believe random acts of kindness are one part of this, but it expands to help society as a whole... There are also times where man is faced with ethically complex situations, that demand the most of his character... For example...

Let's say for sake of argument that you are a super hero, you can do practically anything. Now let's say that you are standing between two lakes, one has 5 people in it drowning, one has 3 people in it drowning. You can only save one lake. You do not know any of these people, so which do you choose?

Most people would choose the 5 because they are saving more lives and letting the others die

Now consider this scenario....

You are the same super hero, you are riding on a train towards a lake of 5 people drowning. Holding the railway tracks together over a gap is one man. You can either kill that one man and save the 5, or let the 5 die and save the one. Which do you choose?

This is significantly harder to answer than the first scenario. Why? In the first you are letting people die, you aren't actually killing them to save the 5. In the second scenario, your direct action would kill someone, but you would be saving 5 lives.

Thus comes the killing vs. letting die distinction. And it is one of the most significant ethical discussions. You can bring countless examples for this...

Don't let this fuck with your head, the distinction was developed by PHDs way before my time, and is studied even today.

NJC_Manhattan
04-08-09, 4:28 pm
Have you ever had this happen to you? You're doing laundry, and you pull a pair of pants out and check the pockets and find a $20 dollar bill. If you're anything like me, youll take that twenty and carelessly spend it on something (for me it would probably be a dvd). Yet, that $20 dollars could feed a small town for a day, or prevent a child from going blind. So why don't I donate that money?

I can't use the argument, oh they are so far away. Why? If I saw a baby lying face down choking, but I was 10 feet away as opposed to another person 5 feet away, does that mean I am not responsible, but the other person is because he/she is closer? Absolutely not.

But still, why don't I give the money away?

GJN5002
04-08-09, 4:38 pm
Im reminded almost everyday. I work for the government witht he social security admisinistration. I take care of the unfortunate people that come in when their spouse dies and also people who come in because they can no longer work due to injuries and illness. It has really opened my eyes and made me want to live a fuller life. Ive really been into eating better lately. Not that I dont eat well, but there is so much more that goes into understanding what food does to the body and how organic foods are produced in comparison to many of the industrially produced products we consume.

NJC_Manhattan
04-08-09, 7:54 pm
Thanks for the post bro

Bartles
04-09-09, 6:59 pm
Thanks for the post bro

Why do I have the feeling that this thread is helping someone do their research paper?

Anyhow, to live "forever" I'd say that being in a persons thoughts and being remembered allows you to still affect people. If you are affecting people, then you are changing the world, if you are changing the world, how are you not still living?

Think of the whole, "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Better yet, does that sound matter? If you live life and you do not impact, or even make a ripple in the ocean that the world is, then are you living? You certainly are not living eternally if you are not making a sound.

Can something exist without being perceived?
Yes it can, but does it matter? Nothing matters unless it affects you.

Good thread, always great to see how other Animals think.

NJC_Manhattan
04-13-09, 11:12 pm
Why do I have the feeling that this thread is helping someone do their research paper?

Anyhow, to live "forever" I'd say that being in a persons thoughts and being remembered allows you to still affect people. If you are affecting people, then you are changing the world, if you are changing the world, how are you not still living?

Think of the whole, "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Better yet, does that sound matter? If you live life and you do not impact, or even make a ripple in the ocean that the world is, then are you living? You certainly are not living eternally if you are not making a sound.

Good thread, always great to see how other Animals think.

Lol on the research paper.

You sir, are touching on tons of different material. Being remembered is certainly one way to live on. But by how many? And by whom? Do those both matter? I'd like to think not, but it is one thing to be remembered by a nation than remembered by a mute person. Meaning, immortality must be sung to the living. The greater the number, the longer the immortality.

With the whole tree thing... On one hand, sound needs a receiver in order for the original vibration wave to collapse, thus resulting in sound. So in this case no. On the other hand, the tree still creates the initial vibration and no receiver does not negate that initial sound origin.

With the whole ocean thing... Many writers have touched in this. Most notably Virginia Woolf in her novel The Waves. Time is consistent like the waves of the ocean, cyclical, never-ending, static and self-fulfilling. If we choose the ocean metaphor for life, then what we do has little meaning in terms of the world/time. But what is important is the influence of others on the self. Basically, interactions/relationships with others. We deduce this from our growing/changing with that that does not grow/change and we help fulfill our desire through others that are poised with the same condition.

Your last two question....

If something exists, then it has already been perceived to exist. Things that do not exist, cannot be perceived, but only speculated, upon. Things that do not effect you can matter. Let's say a child is born today in England, I do not know the family or the child, and will probably never interact with the family/child. I can't possibly conclude that the child doesn't matter because it doesn't effect me. Can I?

Thanks for your post

NJC_Manhattan
04-15-09, 2:57 pm
Sounds like a simple concept, but you'd be amazed at how many people ignore this.

Example;
You ever have the friend that everyone thinks is funny, but all his jokes come from movies/tv/standup. I got a buddy like that that went from quoting Old School, to Anchorman, to the Office, etc. It's totally unoriginal, and it's the last thing you want to be remembered for.

Example;
A person who reads an opinion article or watches the news, and all of a sudden that is their opinion. This is a light form of brainwashing.

Example;
Mob mentality. People who just go with the crowd and refuse to lead.

I'm sure you can think up your own.

Thinking for yourself is an interesting concept. Some say it's impossible. You learned everything you know from others. It's hard to contribute something truly original. I, however, slightly disagree. Why?

A person's personality is partly made up by the world around him/her and the people around him/her. Yet we conceptualize our 'self' in our own way. Thus we do think for ourselves.

Bottom line:
Don't buy the bullshit. Simple and true.

NJC_Manhattan
04-16-09, 10:35 am
Yes it can be done.

One of my friends got into an Ivy (I will keep it anonymous... PM me if you want the name) with a 2.3/4.0 out of high school and a low SAT (1000/1600... I know the scores are different now). He is not a dumb person, just kinda lazy. So how did he do it???

Come junior year, he made weekend trips to the Ivy on the regular. He met with Professors and discussed classes, went to speeches held at the school, networked with alumni and current students, set up meetings with the dean of faculty, dean of students, and the President. At the end of his junior year he was getting emails from the Ivy, had made contacts, and some friends. When it came time to apply, he wrote his personal statement on his experience at the Ivy the previous year.

After his application was in, he personally called faculty and the deans to thank them for their help during this process and informed them that he had applied for early decision. He conveyed that he had enough information and really enjoyed the community. They wrote back that they hoped he'd get in and said he would be a good fit for the community.

A week later, he spent a full weekend at the Ivy. Did he go out and get "hella fucked up" or get "mad laid". No. He interviewed daily. Even in casual conversation he expressed his talents.

The kid is a born talker.

Results? He got early acceptance. His school range set by his grades was no where near the level of this school. I was shocked and asked him how to do it.

Lesson? If you really want something, fucking prove it. Get involved, talk with people, go to events, get yourself so integrated in the system that the system needs you.

NJC_Manhattan
04-16-09, 11:43 pm
Sometimes it seems impossible.

If you don't understand finance, accounting, and the use of credit, then getting out debt seems pretty hard. Here are a few tips to help ya out.

-Basis points: is 1/100 of a percent. If you contact your debtor and ask for your rate to be lowered 5 to 10 basis points, they will probably do that for you. Granted, you can't be a delinquent payer. You can do this once every six months. They will probably work for you. Especially during this crisis, they want to make sure everyone can pay.

-Taxes: Deduct student interest rate that you paid. Deduct anything you had to buy for work (suits/ties not included). Set up your W-2 so that you don't pay any taxes until tax season. Invest that money in a secure bond whose yield (rate of return, interest rate, whatever) is high enough so you will have the money to pay back taxes and make some money on the side.

-Home equity: Leverage against your house. Yea I said it. Having equity just sitting in your home, is like burying money in your backyard. Yea you have it, but its not working for you.

-Borrow from your family: if they are sticklers, draft up a legal doc. Always good to keep money in your family.

-Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate: Very few times does the price advertised, mean the price you have to pay. Talk with people. You can always come to a bargain or some kind of payment plan.

-Make friends with an accountant: This has saved me thousands...

-Never get a store credit card: You know this garbage like a sears card or some shit. The interest rates and through the roof and the points earned never equal what you pay to have the card.

Just FYI.

TheHardGainer
04-16-09, 11:48 pm
Nice posts. I'm headin off to college in a couple of months and will DEFINITLY remember these tips. Keep em comin.

Gambit
04-16-09, 11:49 pm
I'm liking some of your thought processes, NJC. Some real shit being spoken.

Really digging this...looking forward to some top-notch discussions happening...

I got a question for you. It's a matter of semantics. Why do we say "My body is sore today." Why do we not say "I am sore today" instead? Where's the breach of consciousness?

NJC_Manhattan
04-16-09, 11:52 pm
Nice posts. I'm headin off to college in a couple of months and will DEFINITLY remember these tips. Keep em comin.

Thanks man.

For college, know that it is a lot easier to transfer to a better school once you are already in college. If your first semester sucks, apply to the top places. Your chances of getting in are greatly improved.

NJC_Manhattan
04-16-09, 11:52 pm
I'm liking some of your thought processes, NJC. Some real shit being spoken.

Really digging this...looking forward to some top-notch debates in here

Thanks man.

Like your posts as well.

NJC_Manhattan
04-17-09, 12:19 am
I got a question for you. It's a matter of semantics. Why do we say "My body is sore today." Why do we not say "I am sore today" instead? Where's the breach of consciousness?

Semantics is the study and classification of changes in the signification of words or forms viewed as factors of linguistic development (as defined by Websters). Do you mean Semiotic? a branch dealing with relations between signs and what they refer to?

Regardless, the first question you bring up is fragmentation. The mind can group/pinpoint things in parts. Saying "My body is sore today" is normal, saying "I am sore today" could describe your current state of mind, state of being, or overall feeling. Though, people could say either and we would probably receive them correctly. It could just be a matter of preference.

Your second question, you need to bare with me because you are touching on the unity of consciousness set out by Immanuel Kant (Philosopher). Human beings are in a single conscious state at all times. For example, let's say you hear something and touch something at the same time, one is not conscious of the noise and, separately, of the touch. They are unified. Neuropsychology studies the relationship between the brains interaction with the outside world and consciousness. The unified consciousness are brain bisection operations. The questions are, however, how many centres of consciousness do people have? Meaning, one person's consciousness given X stimulant will probably not be an exact match to another person's when exposed to X stimulant. A second question is partial unity possible? Meaning, unified consciousness assumes that unification can happen at a specific time. So what about across time? That consciousness might be a way to unite earloer cognitive states.

Gambit
04-17-09, 9:06 am
I wondered if you were gonna bring Kant into this conversation! haha

TheHardGainer
04-17-09, 10:25 pm
Thanks man.

For college, know that it is a lot easier to transfer to a better school once you are already in college. If your first semester sucks, apply to the top places. Your chances of getting in are greatly improved.

I will definitely remember that, thank you

NJC_Manhattan
04-18-09, 8:25 pm
I will definitely remember that, thank you

No worries

NJC_Manhattan
04-20-09, 11:01 pm
When people say no to you, do you give up? Argue? Yell? Say your point again?

Well, most of the time through compromise you can get what you want. When people say no to you its because they have no incentive to say yes. If you positively reinforce your point and then see it from their perspective, then you can hope to get to yes. Do not ever say, I owe you one, or you scratch my back I'll scratch your back. That tit-for-tat shit is for the truly hopeless. There is a way for the both of you to have what you want given the situation.

-With bank loans
The credit crunch has slowed banks to a stand still. Banks make money off loans, so they want to give it, but sometimes youll hear no. Don't just walk off with your tail between your legs. Negotiate a payment plan, show how you would utilize the money, tell them how it would benefit them for you to have the money.

-With grades
Any grade you receive in high school/college/grad can be negotiated. Always fight for that 1/2 point. If anything it will show the teacher/prof. that you care enough to fight for your grade.

-With Jobs
If someone denies you a raise, tell them how it would better motivate you, explain your strong points and tailor them to the goals of the corporation/business. Or, and this is only if you think you can win, hint at the fact that other businesses want you (even if its not true). People hate to lose.

-With shopping
Places like car dealerships/fresh produce stands/independent stores are ripe for negotiating. In this economy, to not ask to bring down the price is simply foolish. Remind your seller, that you will take inventory off his/her hands for month end. Say it will make their numbers look better. Ask for a few of their cards to give friends. Even if you dont hand any out, the seller will think he/she has made a good deal. Always let them think they are winning in the end.

Try it out.

stumblin54
04-20-09, 11:11 pm
More than ever, we have big houses and broken homes, high incomes and low morale, secured rights and diminished civility. We excel at making a living but often fail at making a life. We celebrate our prosperity but yearn for purpose. We cherish our freedoms but long for connection. In an age of plenty, we feel spiritual hunger.
-David Myers

The devaluation of the human world increases in direct relation to the increase in value of the world of things.
-Karl Marx

Underlying theme: materials (including money) will only take you so far. Find yourself and do what makes you happy, because when everything is dead and gone, material won't mean a thing. This is how to live life, this is how to find true happiness.

Stumblin

NJC_Manhattan
04-21-09, 11:00 am
More than ever, we have big houses and broken homes, high incomes and low morale, secured rights and diminished civility. We excel at making a living but often fail at making a life. We celebrate our prosperity but yearn for purpose. We cherish our freedoms but long for connection. In an age of plenty, we feel spiritual hunger.
-David Myers

The devaluation of the human world increases in direct relation to the increase in value of the world of things.
-Karl Marx

Underlying theme: materials (including money) will only take you so far. Find yourself and do what makes you happy, because when everything is dead and gone, material won't mean a thing. This is how to live life, this is how to find true happiness.

Stumblin

Interesting quotes. I gotta admit, as a big supported of capitalism and democracy, I have little respect for Karl Marx, but his quote does have some meaning (though he is probably directly relating it to communism).

There is an idea of happiness. Happiness, like all emotions, is fleeting. One cannot experience a feeling at a continuous level for a prolonged period of time, your mind simply won't allow for it.

However, peace of mind is the harmonious conjunction of emotions. That can last.

To me prolonged happiness--now defined as peace of mind--comes from the harmony of the following... Good health, good relationships, and enough wealth to not cause internal worry. When those three are at optimal levels, then so is your peace of mind. If one diminishes significantly, then peace of mind is not attained.

As much as we hate to admit it, everyone requires material things to live. Shelter, food, and water at the most basic levels. But that is for another discussion.

Thanks for your post

NJC_Manhattan
04-22-09, 3:34 pm
I have some friends that complain working a 40hr 9-5 week. Claiming it's way too long to be at work. I can't help but laugh.

When I was working, my weeks averaged 75-85hrs. At month end, I would sometimes bring a suitcase to the office and sleep on beds provided. Yea, never work in finance. I'll be the first to tell you. I remember complaining about my hours to a lawyer buddy of mine, and he started laughing because I got Christmas off. He told me a story of ordering Chinese food to his desk on Christmas day. This guy debated subletting his one-bedroom apt and just living basically at his office. Granted, these are New York hours. There is a reason our bars stay open til 4am on a Tuesday.

Think of your work week, or at the most basic your work day. I have buddies that claim they work about an 1hr per 8hr day. If that's not the most phenomenal waste of time, then I don't know what is.

Thus, I come at a realization, though obvious it is important. The amount of hrs one works does not necessarily mean he/she put in good work. It's the effort and effectiveness of your work.

Application:
At your office/yard/desk/whatever try to be consistently working on something work related. Occasionally come in for weekends. Do what you can to stand out. When the time comes for 'job cuts' or promotions, guess whose name will be on the boss's mind. Probably yours.

Conveying the image of success leads to success:
The cliche, 'dress for the job you want', is highly important. Hygiene and overall appearance can literally be a deal breaker. Example, if you work in an office and you come in with a 5 o'clock shadow, that conveys that you're lazy (even if you're not). On a side note, unless your 50+ or an academic you should never, I repeat NEVER, have facial hair in an office setting. It's unprofessional. I know, I don't like that rule either.

Come on, everyone has to work right? You might as well make the most of your time. Every morning I'd be walking through Midtown around 545am with my ipod in listening to either a news podcast I downloaded while taking a shower or I'd be reading the newspaper. I'd prepare client statements, and review all relevant company holdings, to make sure that when the market opened at 930am I'd be ready to fucking kill it. From 930 to 4pm I was a man on fire, from 4pm-9 or 10pm I'd be doing straight up valuation and analysis of companies for clients.

Results: Mad $$$$ come bonus time (when banks did give bonuses), respect from my peers/superiors, and--most importantly--self-respect and the knowledge that my work really paid off.

Try it out.

Steve101
04-22-09, 5:58 pm
Great Posts and Great Results.....Keep up the Good Work

NJC_Manhattan
04-22-09, 7:55 pm
Great Posts and Great Results.....Keep up the Good Work

Thanks Steve. Much appreciated

Steve101
04-22-09, 8:54 pm
You remind me of my son

He talked is way into Penn
Talked his way into a Full Scholarship at Cambridge University for this Summer
and a Year ago spent a Semester working for the Defense Intelligence Agency Traveling Around the World on the Governments Dime.

We taught him to work hard and ask for what you want....he accomplished these things without his parents or anyone pulling any strings - Hell my dad drove a forklift for 45 years he didn't have any strings to pull.

Just did some cardio with the GF - She makes it look so damn easy while the old man works hard at it

weedlewott
04-23-09, 5:05 am
dude. you ever tried reading this all in the same day? it's something else. makes you think. I would add something intellectual to this conversation, but i'm fried. just did legs a while ago, haven't eaten today, no sleep last night, and to top it all off, just read this. haha. Good stuff though on a serious note. I'll get back to it with something valuable in a little bit after some food and a nap.

NJC_Manhattan
04-23-09, 7:59 pm
You remind me of my son

He talked is way into Penn
Talked his way into a Full Scholarship at Cambridge University for this Summer
and a Year ago spent a Semester working for the Defense Intelligence Agency Traveling Around the World on the Governments Dime.

We taught him to work hard and ask for what you want....he accomplished these things without his parents or anyone pulling any strings - Hell my dad drove a forklift for 45 years he didn't have any strings to pull.

Just did some cardio with the GF - She makes it look so damn easy while the old man works hard at it

Thank you for the kind words Steve. Your son sounds like a great man.

Don't be so hard on yourself with cardio, I'm sure you killed it.

Thanks for stopping by.

dude. you ever tried reading this all in the same day? it's something else. makes you think. I would add something intellectual to this conversation, but i'm fried. just did legs a while ago, haven't eaten today, no sleep last night, and to top it all off, just read this. haha. Good stuff though on a serious note. I'll get back to it with something valuable in a little bit after some food and a nap.

hahaha. You know the beginning of the post is more the intellectual side, but feel free to add anything. And enjoy your nap.

Steve101
04-23-09, 8:25 pm
"your son seems like a Great Man"

Such an interesting comment that made me think....I don't consider him a "man" he is still my little boy,,,,,He is a Man,,,Food for thought - THANKS!

weedlewott
04-24-09, 2:31 am
hahaha. You know the beginning of the post is more the intellectual side, but feel free to add anything. And enjoy your nap.

Thanks man. It was a wonderful nap.

I recently just made a post on my facebook status. It says Cory is questioning the realism of a hypothetical situation, the inevitability of the end, and the downside to progress. I was thinking about these things. How many times have you actually given that any thought?

People speak hypothetically but are always putting it into the context in which they could use the advice. They may ask you a question about something happening to someone else, but the situation relates closely to what they're dealing with. Pride usually has a heavy hand in this. Hypothetically is simply a way of saying help me without helping me. So what do you do? You give them the answer that they need. It's easier to do that than giving a friend the answer they want to hear. More than that, mean it. Good advice seals the deal and you hold a place in the hearts and minds of those that you speak to.

The inevitability of the end. All things must end, be they good, bad, or indifferent. Cut and dry, there it is. We all want the bad to end as soon as we realize that it's bad. End. There it is. The things that have no impact actually affect one another more so than you would initially think. You adapt so smoothly to them, that you don't realize the small changes that you hake to adjust. When that ends, it all falls into place. Making the good times last is one of the things that we all strive for and work towards. No single person wants good things in their life to come to a screeching hault. But they will. Maybe not so suddenly as to be considered screeching, but even a gradual stop is more than we want. So how do you cope? As best as you can. Whether pushing through the bad, drudging through the indifferent, and basking in the good, always remember, everything ends. Once that happens, don't stray from the path you have chosen to take prior. Staying strong, staying the course, and being steadfast gains respect. Adhere to these basic principles in life, and your respect will never die.

The downside to progress is a different beast entirely. You've gotten where you want to be. Congratulations. I, and everyone close to you, am very proud of what you have done and what you are continuing to do. Keep doing it. But do yourself a favor. Look in the mirror once in a while. Examine yourself and where you are. Is it really where you want to be? If it's not, step back from everything and look at where you want to be and what you have to do to get there. But every-so-often, look past yourself. Look into the background of the mirror (figuratively speaking). Look at the past and the people in it. Are there people there that you left behind for no reason? I mean, yeah, you're going to have chains. People hindering your progress and holding you back. Cut that chord as soon as you can. I'm talking about the ones who were there actually cared and now they're not. Situations come about that can make you forget. Fame, fortune, glory, and pride. You can forget about the people who were there to help you get where you are and you left them back. Go back and pick up the pieces. Do what needs to be done in order to accomplish the goals, but don't leave history in the past.

NJC_Manhattan
04-24-09, 1:42 pm
Thanks for your post.

weedlewott
04-24-09, 1:49 pm
hell, I promised you i would put something worth while into this post. Very welcome. Thank you sir for your thread.

NJC_Manhattan
04-28-09, 2:28 pm
Ladies and Gentlemen,

We are at the cusp of a test of society. In case you don't know...

Swine influenza (also swine flu) refers to influenza caused by any strain of the influenza virus that is endemic in pigs (swine). Strains endemic in swine are called swine influenza virus (SIV). Of the three genera of Orthomyxoviridae that are endemic in humans, two are endemic also in swine: Influenzavirus A (common) or Influenzavirus C (rare). Influenzavirus B has not been reported in swine. Within Influenzavirus A and Influenzavirus C, the strains endemic to swine and humans are largely distinct.

People who work with poultry and swine, especially people with intense exposures, are at risk of infection with influenza from these animals if the animals carry a strain that is also able to infect humans. SIV can mutate into a form that allows it to pass from human to human. The strain responsible for the 2009 swine flu outbreak is believed to have undergone such a mutation.

In humans, the symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general. In most cases, the strain responsible for the 2009 swine flu outbreak causes only mild symptoms.

Signs and symptoms
Main symptoms of swine flu in humans.[14]

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in humans the symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general. Symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. A few more patients than usual have also reported diarrhea and vomiting.[15]

Because these symptoms are not specific to swine flu, a differential diagnosis of probable swine flu requires not only symptoms but also a high likelihood of swine flu due to the person's recent history. For example, during the 2009 swine flu outbreak in the United States, CDC advised physicians to "consider swine influenza infection in the differential diagnosis of patients with acute febrile respiratory illness who have either been in contact with persons with confirmed swine flu, or who were in one of the five U.S. states that have reported swine flu cases or in Mexico during the 7 days preceding their illness onset."[16] A diagnosis of confirmed swine flu requires laboratory testing of a respiratory sample (a simple nose and throat swab).

I live in NYC, and on the subway I have seen people wearing masks, and being very careful of those around them. Is this a backlash of globalization? Meaning, as we become more connected, disasters increase exponentially. Society is one of those fragile things that people would discard in a moment if the shit really hit the fan. Imagine not having food for 3 days? What would you do?

To keep our heads, it is the duty of all to know how to live without the conveniences of life (hot water, ice cubes, refrigeration, sanitation, etc). I do not want to talk about self-defense because that is a personal choice. I think you all know what I mean by defense. Yet, we cannot become reliant on society alone. We must know what to do in times of crisis.

My friend, an EMT, suggested I get emergency training, medical training, and--somewhat controversial--Arms/combat training. The cost of the training does not out weigh the benefits.

The question is, however, if a major disaster did happen, would we have enough time to escape? Most likely no.

Now I'm not a paranoid, world will end on this date, Nostradamus believing, shut-in, but I am cautious of my surroundings. I would suggest all of you to do the same.

Until we know this swing flu is under control, be cautious. This strain has the ability to mutate from person-to-person, and the last thing we need is more infected individuals.

mritter3
04-28-09, 3:18 pm
hey NJC nice post on the swine flu, i work in a hospital and that is all anyone talks about now a days, we just had a case about 25 miles from where i live.

NJC_Manhattan
04-29-09, 10:37 am
hey NJC nice post on the swine flu, i work in a hospital and that is all anyone talks about now a days, we just had a case about 25 miles from where i live.

Thanks man...

UPDATE on swine flu: Apparently the flu has killed 7 not 152...

NJC_Manhattan
05-05-09, 5:31 pm
Of course if you're reading this, then you probably lift... Hell you probably play or played sports...

Yet, without blood tests, Doctor's tests, physicals, nutrition, etc. then we aren't really bringing our bodies to their very limits.

Soldier
05-05-09, 11:43 pm
Great topic here. NJC, your insight and thought patterns are mindblowing and extremely motivating. There's not gonna be a day gone by now where I don't visit the FORVM and not view this thread for updates.

NJC_Manhattan
05-06-09, 7:59 pm
Great topic here. NJC, your insight and thought patterns are mindblowing and extremely motivating. There's not gonna be a day gone by now where I don't visit the FORVM and not view this thread for updates.

Thanks man. Glad to have you here

GORILLA WARRIOR
05-06-09, 8:01 pm
very motivating, clear-headed way to view life. Thank you for that post in these rough times.

NJC_Manhattan
05-06-09, 8:17 pm
Was thinking about the way people manage their lives. I'm not one to write out a schedule or keep a date book. I was wondering how much an hour of my time is worth. Estimating my life and when I worked, an hr of my time is worth $30 to me. If I can hire someone to work for less than $30 (let's say $20) and use that hr to make more than $30 (let's say $40) then my profit is 40-20=$20 and the hired person takes care of the mundane things that I don't want to do. You can too. Here are some other time/money saving tips...

Google iCal
-Schedule your life and have it link to your blackberry/iphone. Share it with everyone on gmail. Tell your friends/family/coworkers to choose time slots and you will updated by your phone immediately.

Yourmaninindia.com
- Hire an online/mobile assistant to take care of your errands. Be sure to interview the person, and make sure his/her qualifications can meet your needs. I had a mobile assistant, when I was working and it expanded my client base significantly also made sure I never forgot anything... meetings, birthdays, bills, etc.

Ebay
- Buy the in bulk (a lot of 10 polo shirts for example), then sell them individually. You will always net a profit. You can also search suppliers online, buy in bulk, and sell individually. I use to do that with dvds and video games. Last chirstmas I bought 20 nintendo wiis for around 2.5 grand. Solid each for around 200. Profit 4000-2500=1500, made that in a week.

Facebook/myspace
- Get rid of it. Seriously, or at least hide your personal info. identity theft is very real. And employers will search for you during a background check.

Never commit yourself to anyone, be open for anything
- Don't make promises you can't keep. Seems easy right? It's actually hard in practice. People wanting to meet up, make meetings, etc. Set your priorities straight. Have open times to meet people, designate when/where. Don't be at others mercy, and don't make promises regarding your business. Break it once and your reputation is done.

Read the news everyday
- I don't care whether you go to drudgereport.com or huffingtonpost.com or some other site, just make sure you keep updated all the time. We all know how important info is. My suggestion is the following....

Get the financial times (english newspaper), the economist (the single best magazine ever). Go to Yahoo news, drudgereport.com, or any news.

Turn off the TV
- 90% bullshit, that only wants to sell you on advertisements. If you do watch TV, list of news that is acceptable

60 mins
Meet the press
Bloomberg

Everything else is bias and has an agenda.

Give it a shot.

strivin for more
05-06-09, 9:06 pm
exellent topic.

i think about this alot. immoratlity is achieved in so many ways, the random acts of kindness one does in a day, volunteering yourself to organizations to help others. hell for us, teaching a newbie proper form, diet etc. Those people become affected by what we do, perhaps that person you helped had no means of shelter and you donated your time to habitats for humanity, or mabye that one guy you motivated to train would turn out to become an IFBB pro, (brian dobson and branch warren). its the little things that truly make a big difference.

i know that was just a small piece of the pie of immortality, theres so much to it.

I think of it this way, (trying to stray away from religion as much as possible to not offend individuals). Say God created man. Why did he not just make one person? We are all here to help each other.

true wealth is not material possesions, awards, power.

Its the journey, the knowlege you learn from people you meet, the experiences you have, and the people you affect.

theres no better feeling in the world than helping someone and being thanked for it. thats wealth to me.

teaching the newbie... every veteran on here, please show us kids how to do stuff. teach us the bullshit, the right ways to do things, and keep us motivated. i have someone like this for me, and its gotten me to a whole new level from where i was at. i plan to return the favor ten fold sometime in the future.

NJC_Manhattan
05-08-09, 10:52 am
very motivating, clear-headed way to view life. Thank you for that post in these rough times.

Thanks man. I appreciate that

NJC_Manhattan
05-08-09, 3:48 pm
Each person views the world in an unique way. Granted some things are universal, but a person's outlook/view can drastically change others and the self. How?

Example:
You ever have a real negative friend? Good guy/gal, but sarcastic all the time.... Agent 1
You ever have a real positive friend? Never a bad moment with this guy/gal.... Agent 2

Situation:
Have them both exposed to the same stimulus and view their behavior. For sake of argument, let's say they saw a movie... Agent 1 makes fun of it and says something along the line, 'it sucked/blew/waste of time/etc.' Agent 2 says he had a great time and enjoyed the movie.
Both Agents can't be correct. Their opinions, though two different sides of the same coin, cannot co-exist in a rational world. Yet, to each individual agent the stimulus has effected them, and their behavior or general disposition has generated an output.

Importance:
Your mind is capable of following routine. By the time you're 18, your views on the world are probably close to set in stone. Thus, we must keep in mind to not always trust our reaction. Though one should listen to their 'gut' feeling, that doesn't mean it is the best behavior for the situation.

Application as it pertains to bodybuilding:
We all have our routines. We all have our comfort zones. We are all capable of conceptualizing our workouts and classifying them as intense/light/off-day/etc. Becareful of your reaction, what once may have been high intensity could now be light. Your body may react in a similar fashion, but it could be conditioned to feel that way after you were exposed to the workout (stimulus), your mind certainly plays a part in this.

Remember to trust yourself, but always be skeptical. Questions and Answers can only help.

To learn more about behaviorism and how to conquer the shit out of it see the following

Understanding Behaviorism: Behavior, Culture, and Evolution by William M. Baum

About Behaviorism by B.F. Skinner (Mass Market Paperback - Feb 12, 1976)

On the History of the Psychoanalytic Movement: (Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud) by Sigmund Freud, James Strachey, and Joan Riviere (Paperback - Sep 17, 1990)

The Origins of Behaviorism: American Psychology, 1870-1920 (American Social Experience Series, Vol 3) by John M. O'Donnell

Enjoy

weedlewott
05-09-09, 10:22 am
Behaviorism is a broad concept, but a good one. The one you gave in your example is called Definition of the Situation. How each individual goes into each specific event ultimately determines the outcome. Be it that this is just a theory, it often proves true. I'm glad you brought this one up. Psychology is one of my favorites. My major in College actually. Good subject. I hope to see some rather in depth and educated or inquisitive replies to this one. Thank you NJC.

NJC_Manhattan
05-09-09, 1:32 pm
Behaviorism is a broad concept, but a good one. The one you gave in your example is called Definition of the Situation. How each individual goes into each specific event ultimately determines the outcome. Be it that this is just a theory, it often proves true. I'm glad you brought this one up. Psychology is one of my favorites. My major in College actually. Good subject. I hope to see some rather in depth and educated or inquisitive replies to this one. Thank you NJC.

Thanks man. Ill look into that further

NJC_Manhattan
05-11-09, 8:43 pm
The news of a US solider today of possibly killing 5 friendlies today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30678715/

Ladies and Gentlemen,
There is intense stress in war. Soliders must follow the rules of jus in bello, however, some maintain that morality does not exist in warfare and therefore disagree to just war theory. The cliche war is hell, assumes that one is entitled to do whatever is necessary. That is highly controversial. The discussion of which is beyond the scope of this post.

As the story develops we will see what happens. To the best of our knowledge, it could be a mistake or something completely different.

weedlewott
05-12-09, 2:34 am
It's a sad day for people in and out of uniform when something like this happens. It really drives the point home for a lot of us. My heart goes out to the Families of those lost, and to the Units who undoubtedly lost great soldiers. It also goes out to the one responsible. It takes a lot to push someone that far over the edge. The stresses that he had to go through I never wish upon anyone. I've seen my share of the suck, the hard times, and the depression. This place brings you down. It gets to even the most strong willed people. I ask that each and every one of you pray, in your own way, for all of the Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airmen serving abroad and at home. They fight so you can maintain the rights that you have today. I hope you all recognize this and keep every service member and their families in your thoughts and prayers. I'm due to go home in a few months. Let's pray that I make it there. Let's pray that we all make it home safely the same way we left.

NJC_Manhattan
05-12-09, 10:54 am
Hope you get home safe as well

Steve101
05-12-09, 12:02 pm
It is a sad day for the entire country when something like this happens.....Hopefully Obama will follow up on his statement and truly understand why this happened and how it can be prevented in the future.

I can't imagine the stress these young people are under as they deal with the horrible aspects of war.

To all our soldiers be safe.

NJC_Manhattan
05-13-09, 1:46 pm
I was flipping back-and-forth between the celtics/magic game and the season finale of the biggest loser.

The celtics game was nothing short of incredible. This has been an exciting playoff time for Boston.

But onto something a little different...

The Biggest Loser, in case you don't know, is a reality TV program in which obese contestants go to a 'ranch' to workout out with 'professional' trainers in an attempt to change their lives and possibly win $250,000. Like all reality TV, there are eliminations, drama, etc.

Last night, the at home winner (the person who was voted off, but continued to work) was a 65 year old man... He beat out guys/gals in their 20s. That is fuckin impressive.

The winner-winner, was this 40 something lady.

This got me thinking,
1) the amount of weight they lost in such a short time (200 pounds and up) cannot be healthy. Looking at their loose skin, wrinkles, and lack of definition really sent that home. Granted, on the other hand being obese is far from being healthy. Sometimes people would lose 20 pounds in a week, occasionally late in the game. That can't all be fat.

2) It doesn't matter what age you are, if you want to change your body/life there are no external excuses only internal ones that hold you back.

3) This show is kind of dangerous. Why? They are sponsored by places like subway abd fiber one. This food, though healthier than wendys/McD's, is still not optimal food for people looking to lose weight/get in shape. See the diet section in this forvm? That is how you do it! Get over petty things like 'taste' and do work. You can disagree with me, but honestly fuck this holding everyone's hand through life, and mindset that 'its not your fault your this way' that is numbing and furthermore enabling people's bad habits.

4)With that being said... I have never seen a reality TV show about people looking to get 'jacked' or 'cut'. Just looking to get skinny. I would suggest Universal to setup a show like that, but Universal is a legitimate product looking to further bodybuilding/powerlifting. Reality TV would bastardize such a great thing. I mean, could you imagine someone like Jay Cutler trainning these biggest loser people and giving them his diet? These guys cry during pushups! I'd love to see them do full squats, deadlifts, and olympic lifts.

5) All in all, I think biggest loser/nbc's heart is trying to be in the right place, but execution is rather poor...

What do you think?

weedlewott
05-21-09, 6:19 am
I think with all that said you have got a very valid point. Looking at it from a stand point that we all have, being healthy and losing the right way, yea, that was horrible. But look at it from a TV Producers angle... How many people wanna sit around and watch people lift weights, eat the same things day in and day out, live drole, monotonous lives, and go to work? I don't know exactly how that show works, but losing weight the right way is not fun or entertaining. I realize that this is beside the point and it's unhealthy all the way around, but todays society doesn't buy into monotony. I mean hell, we (as Americans in general) can barely hold a marrige together. It's about selling what sells. Not pushing out what stagnates. You are on point with this topic and I think it will prove to be a good discussion point after some attention getting so don't think I'm knocking your observation in the least. I'm not. I agree wholly with you.

NJC_Manhattan
05-21-09, 8:11 am
I think with all that said you have got a very valid point. Looking at it from a stand point that we all have, being healthy and losing the right way, yea, that was horrible. But look at it from a TV Producers angle... How many people wanna sit around and watch people lift weights, eat the same things day in and day out, live drole, monotonous lives, and go to work? I don't know exactly how that show works, but losing weight the right way is not fun or entertaining. I realize that this is beside the point and it's unhealthy all the way around, but todays society doesn't buy into monotony. I mean hell, we (as Americans in general) can barely hold a marrige together. It's about selling what sells. Not pushing out what stagnates. You are on point with this topic and I think it will prove to be a good discussion point after some attention getting so don't think I'm knocking your observation in the least. I'm not. I agree wholly with you.

Thanks man.

I agree that Americans want a 'quick fix'. A 'magic pill' or 'miracle diet' that will turn them into superman. Everyone wants the perfect body, but no one wants to work at it.

Steve101
05-24-09, 11:25 am
Until I started Weighlifting (basicallly a whole 12 weeks ago) I had no idea how hard people worked at this..........you see guys in great shape on the street and it just seemed thats how they looked,,,,well now I know why they have their asses in the gym everyday and they aren't sucking down Beers and Cake every night.

People want the Quick Fix - They buy the Fitness Magazines hoping for Lightning to Strike (that was me) or they do cardio for years and it doesnt help (that was me) The Truth is its getting it done every day on the weight room one step at a time..........

NJC_Manhattan
05-26-09, 9:53 pm
Until I started Weighlifting (basicallly a whole 12 weeks ago) I had no idea how hard people worked at this..........you see guys in great shape on the street and it just seemed thats how they looked,,,,well now I know why they have their asses in the gym everyday and they aren't sucking down Beers and Cake every night.

People want the Quick Fix - They buy the Fitness Magazines hoping for Lightning to Strike (that was me) or they do cardio for years and it doesnt help (that was me) The Truth is its getting it done every day on the weight room one step at a time..........

So true.

Thanks for the stop by Steve.

Italianmuscle08
05-27-09, 10:18 pm
i just lift weights....

weedlewott
05-28-09, 6:26 am
i just lift weights....

haha. short, sweet, and to the point.

NJC_Manhattan
06-05-09, 8:02 pm
True

weedlewott
06-06-09, 3:07 am
I think this thread died brother man. ha. I'll come up with something later to put in here that will hopefully spark some debate. We need a good debating thread going. This one is perfect for it.

Shamus11B
06-06-09, 3:28 am
Immortality - To me immortality can be achieved by going against the grain. Look at famous and distinguished people throughout history, they all chose their own path whether it was popular or not and went with it. They stayed dedicated, focused, perhaps they stumbled at times but they truely overcame. Now in that context in present day I do not think anyone will truely ever be immortalized as they previously were. Look at classic cars for instance who here wants a late 60's mustang, get, charger? I sure the hell do. Now in 50 years who the hell in their right mind will want that classic Prius lol. My point being is now one must truely go against the grain and be ORIGINAL to be immortalized.

My favorite part of this post gaining wealth

Gaining Wealth - This to me has absolutely nothing to do with money, stocks, bonds or possessions. Wealth to me is knowing I get to go home to a woman that truely has my back. Knowing exactly what kind of person I am. Knowing how I will react in a firefight, taught me what I was really made of, whether I would cower in fear or attack with rage. This wealth of knowledge that I have attained is actually hard to come by, but I will tell you that once you learn who you really are. You will truely have wealth. As I tell weedle, im getting off my soap box now.

weedlewott
06-07-09, 2:56 am
Immortality - To me immortality can be achieved by going against the grain. Look at famous and distinguished people throughout history, they all chose their own path whether it was popular or not and went with it. They stayed dedicated, focused, perhaps they stumbled at times but they truely overcame. Now in that context in present day I do not think anyone will truely ever be immortalized as they previously were. Look at classic cars for instance who here wants a late 60's mustang, get, charger? I sure the hell do. Now in 50 years who the hell in their right mind will want that classic Prius lol. My point being is now one must truely go against the grain and be ORIGINAL to be immortalized.

My favorite part of this post gaining wealth

Gaining Wealth - This to me has absolutely nothing to do with money, stocks, bonds or possessions. Wealth to me is knowing I get to go home to a woman that truely has my back. Knowing exactly what kind of person I am. Knowing how I will react in a firefight, taught me what I was really made of, whether I would cower in fear or attack with rage. This wealth of knowledge that I have attained is actually hard to come by, but I will tell you that once you learn who you really are. You will truely have wealth. As I tell weedle, im getting off my soap box now.

Great. I like this one. I completely agree on both fronts. You wanna get remembered you gotta get recognized first. After you get recognized, make em remember why they noticed you in the first place... Very nice. Never thought too deep into the latter part though. I realize that personal wealth is greater than materialistic wealth, but you put it into a new aspect of things. You brought it deeper. I like that. People should read this and put thought into how they go about their day to day lives. Thanks Shamus. And you're not on a soap box on this one.

Shamus11B
06-07-09, 3:05 am
Well my wife says I am about as deep as a kiddie pool, but I appreciate the comment. HYPOTHETICALLY lol, loved that post weedle!

Shamus11B
06-07-09, 5:58 am
Pain is weakness leaving the body, everyone has heard that saying, some agree some do not. Either way Pain is most definitely Pain, a useful tool to not only judge progress but to prevent serious injury. Now today I was talking with my wife, she is no way an experienced lifter, and she said that she stopped benching today because her chest started to hurt. I asked her if she was okay, did she pull anything, how bad is it. She said she wasnt hurt but that she was sore. As my drill seargent said are you hurt or are you injured, she didnt know the difference.
Pain is not weakness leaving the body, pain is the cost for knowledge. When you feel pain while lifting you must judge whether or not it is an injury or growth. I think too many average citizens never push themselves hard enough any aspect of their lives to feel pain. These sheep die a little everyday, these hollowed out individuals do not know the joy of success. When you spent 70+ hours a week working OP that is pain, but the success the knowledge was you worked harder than everyone else and you saw the rewards for your pain with your check.
So many people are scared to push themselves out of the comfort zone that they never truely grow physically or personally. I urge you to push yourselves everyday, to cause growth within your body and soul. Because when you stay stagnant, you die, when you decide this is good enough, you die. Stay hungry for accomplishments, whether it be deadlifting 600lbs, benching plates for the first time, or being the best at anything you do. This is the way to stay alive this is the way to NOT DIE.

freak-a-boo!!
06-07-09, 6:53 am
Shamus bro I agree with you here 100%. Too many times when you live life with this philosophy and this mindset you tend to get branded as being too serious about life. I have been told many times that I am not enjoying life to the fullest. You are sitting at a restaurant with your friends and decide not to have that Pizza because you are on a strict anabolic diet programme. That very instant you will get ridiculed about being too involved with bodybuilding. Most people will simply never experience the great joy and satisfaction that comes through pursuing somthing of value till the very end.

Come on people you got to finish what you started !!!

It can be difficult sometimes when you are alone in this fight but that is the true test strength and character and I believe each one of us animals believes in this philosophy.

NJC_Manhattan
06-16-09, 8:59 pm
Proper Male Conduct:
Logic would follow that one's action probably follows or is in line with his behavior. Example: If I am hungry (behavior), then I eat (action). Thus if someone is upset with his own actions, then one must examine his behavior.

Application:
There is a way of treating fellow human beings. The measure of a man can be seen by how he treats someone that can do him no good. Thus decency (behavior) will produce good deeds (action). You can extend this to the gym, diet, or life in general. Keep your behavior in line and proper action will follow.

ghost
06-16-09, 9:28 pm
just found this, have some reading to do....

NJC_Manhattan
06-22-09, 9:15 pm
just found this, have some reading to do....

Yes sir!

weedlewott
06-23-09, 7:39 am
Proper Male Conduct:
Logic would follow that one's action probably follows or is in line with his behavior. Example: If I am hungry (behavior), then I eat (action). Thus if someone is upset with his own actions, then one must examine his behavior.

Application:
There is a way of treating fellow human beings. The measure of a man can be seen by how he treats someone that can do him no good. Thus decency (behavior) will produce good deeds (action). You can extend this to the gym, diet, or life in general. Keep your behavior in line and proper action will follow.

Yet again, you make a valid point that needs to be looked at. People are constantly blaming other things for failures while on the same token, keeping all the glory of a success to themselves. It doesn't go that way. Most people have yet to understand that for every action, the is an equal and opposite reaction. So... the more they deny the root cause of their failures, the more they will fail. Looking into yourself is an important aspect of who we are as people. You can never improve without first understanding. You want to be treasured in other people's eyes? Sit back and examine your day to day actions and behaviors. Do they reflect that of someone worthy of an honorable mention? Let us know and see how it goes from there. The bigger question though, is are you willing to make those huge or even subtle changes to get where you see yourself being?

Great topic NJC.. Always nice to swing by and see something new.

NJC_Manhattan
06-26-09, 2:10 pm
Thanks WW. appreciate it man

NJC_Manhattan
06-26-09, 2:38 pm
I find myself being somewhat sadder than I expected I would have been over the death of Michael Jackson. I recall his plethora of controversies and lifestyle, and it upsets me. The man died alone and cameras caught it all. This was a man, who at the height of his career, was in a different league. He transcended over the entertainment industry to become a legend.

Yet, in wanning stages of his career, he was alone. Remember when I mentioned a man in isolation is a dangerous thing? Here is another example of what loneness can do, even when you're surrounded by many others you can still be alone. Isolation is a dangerous thing. It probably recked havoc on his mental state.

But I digress.

In New York last night, ever bar was playing MJ music, people seemed to be legitimately saddened by his death. Yet when he was alive, people made jokes about him, and called into question his morals (and I'm being as nice as possible). This great divide makes me think of value, and how people quantify, utilize, and hold value.

The cliche you don't know what you got til its gone, though worn out and somewhat moronic, holds very true. Though we all are busy, though man strives through hardship, though at our core we hold our own vitality and well-being above most things, we cannot neglect and take for granted the important things in our lives. There are moments where every person feels the "sting" of stupidity from missing opportunities, misinterpreting a situation, amongst other blunders.

Be advised.

Muscleguy93
06-27-09, 11:30 am
Good stuff right here.

freak-a-boo!!
06-28-09, 2:05 am
I find myself being somewhat sadder than I expected I would have been over the death of Michael Jackson. I recall his plethora of controversies and lifestyle, and it upsets me. The man died alone and cameras caught it all. This was a man, who at the height of his career, was in a different league. He transcended over the entertainment industry to become a legend.

Yet, in wanning stages of his career, he was alone. Remember when I mentioned a man in isolation is a dangerous thing? Here is another example of what loneness can do, even when you're surrounded by many others you can still be alone. Isolation is a dangerous thing. It probably recked havoc on his mental state.

But I digress.

In New York last night, ever bar was playing MJ music, people seemed to be legitimately saddened by his death. Yet when he was alive, people made jokes about him, and called into question his morals (and I'm being as nice as possible). This great divide makes me think of value, and how people quantify, utilize, and hold value.

The cliche you don't know what you got til its gone, though worn out and somewhat moronic, holds very true. Though we all are busy, though man strives through hardship, though at our core we hold our own vitality and well-being above most things, we cannot neglect and take for granted the important things in our lives. There are moments where every person feels the "sting" of stupidity from missing opportunities, misinterpreting a situation, amongst other blunders.

Be advised.

This thread is one of my favorites. Thanks NJC

NJC_Manhattan
06-28-09, 10:06 pm
Good stuff right here.

This thread is one of my favorites. Thanks NJC

Thank you Gentlemen, I appreciate it

weedlewott
06-29-09, 3:29 am

But I digress.

Be advised.

Very nice man. I know where you are coming from on this one. I guess it leads to what this thread is about. This man influenced others, gained power, maximized his wealth, and in actuality didn’t die. He knew how to make people smile in his younger days. He may have gone about it wrongly later on near the end, but when all is said and done, Michael is always going to be there. It all goes back to you don’t know what you have until it’s gone like you said. Cliché or not, it’s the truth. I wish I had something valuable to add in here man, but you covered all the bases properly I do believe. I will just say that I agree with the post and be on my way after a short intermission….

A man in isolation is indeed a dangerous thing. I myself and becoming more isolated from “society” if you would call where I’m at that. I’m doing it on purpose. Mostly because I’m scared to know what would eventually happen if I didn’t isolate myself. A man forced into isolation is more dangerous than one who put himself there.

Out.

NJC_Manhattan
06-29-09, 10:11 am
Very nice man. I know where you are coming from on this one. I guess it leads to what this thread is about. This man influenced others, gained power, maximized his wealth, and in actuality didn’t die. He knew how to make people smile in his younger days. He may have gone about it wrongly later on near the end, but when all is said and done, Michael is always going to be there. It all goes back to you don’t know what you have until it’s gone like you said. Cliché or not, it’s the truth. I wish I had something valuable to add in here man, but you covered all the bases properly I do believe. I will just say that I agree with the post and be on my way after a short intermission….

A man in isolation is indeed a dangerous thing. I myself and becoming more isolated from “society” if you would call where I’m at that. I’m doing it on purpose. Mostly because I’m scared to know what would eventually happen if I didn’t isolate myself. A man forced into isolation is more dangerous than one who put himself there.

Out.

Duly Noted. Thanks man.

Regarding Financial Wealth:
Roughly 1/3 of the people who win the lottery apply for Bankruptcy.
http://www.eagletribune.com/punews/local_story_301015837.html

MJackson, when he died, was--reportedly--$400million in debt. Some people believe that number was higher. At his prime, he had a year where he grossed over 1 billion. Could you imagine what taxes would do to that? Off this return tour alone, he stood to make $85m.

People who have never had money before, either watch it carefully (out of respect and/or they realize the hard work that goes into attaining vast wealth), or they "piss" it away on things that don't matter/hold no value (Cars, Clothes, Toys, etc.). To fully enjoy your wealth, however, you must find that happy medium. Hoard your money and you're a miser, spend too much and you're viewed as reckless. So how do we do this?

Essentially, every person must take care of their own finances. There are people who live paycheck to paycheck, live modestly and have savings, and then those who have accumulated and/or born with vast wealth. In each of these "classes" there are ways of utilizing your financial wealth.

1) Invest: If you really know what you're doing, then get involved in various equity products (stocks, options, etc.). If you want something secure, then get involved in debt (bonds, T-notes, etc.). To hedge against loss, get involved in ETFs that are respective to the stock/bond you owe.

2) Always have multiple streams of income: This doesn't mean get 2-3 jobs. This means, put your money to work. Invest in a bar, store, or other franchise with 15-20 other people. You can find these investors online. Most of the time you can enter with as little as $5000 to own about 1%. That means you're entitled to 1% of the revenues. And you have holding in an asset.

3) Never take on 'bad' debt: Debt for a home/school is good debt. Anything else is bad debt. Good debt helps your credit score, and makes you look more 'together' in the eyes of banks/employers. Bad debt, if uncared for, will fuck you. Seriously... And in this market, if you get margin called/debt collected and you can't pay. Then you're in serious shit.

Find your own balance. Speak to an accountant (but id be wary of places like HR Block...)

That is all

Bartles
06-29-09, 4:03 pm
Find your own balance. Speak to an accountant (but id be wary of places like HR Block...)

What would you recommend then? You seem like you know a fair amount about increasing monetary wealth.

I've followed your advice on the entrepreneurship, I have six mango trees, and the guy down the street has four, so I have been selling mangoes everyday, averaging 21-32$ per hour, depending on time of day / week. Also, I have been picking lychees (for free) and selling them as well, but not too many people know of them, so it is less lucrative then mangoes.

I finally have a job as well...making subs for nearly nothing lol, but I need a steady pay since mango season is almost to an end. And I am Talking to a guy now who is going to help me grow a few things so I can sell stuff to the whole food market (and teach me to weld). I've also branched out and picked up the skills of an audio engineer, so I do the sound for funerals and weddings as well, but that is only like once a month or so.

So I have branched out, just posting to let you guys know you can take anything from Wii's and T-Shirts, to fruit and turn around and flip them for more. Any other ideas you guys have? I've told you my ways.

Also, after I read your post about your friend who talked his way into school, I've come in contact with someone who knows the dean of admissions to the school I'm looking to go to, so I'm taking your advice and gathering as many connections as possible now.

Just looking for more ways to maximize wealth, and further myself.

Any advice you guys have? Was thinking of getting my dad to help me make a 529 IRA, and look into Bonded Promissory Notes and Private Offset Bonds. You know anything about em'?

NJC_Manhattan
06-29-09, 8:19 pm
What would you recommend then? You seem like you know a fair amount about increasing monetary wealth.

I've followed your advice on the entrepreneurship, I have six mango trees, and the guy down the street has four, so I have been selling mangoes everyday, averaging 21-32$ per hour, depending on time of day / week. Also, I have been picking lychees (for free) and selling them as well, but not too many people know of them, so it is less lucrative then mangoes.

I finally have a job as well...making subs for nearly nothing lol, but I need a steady pay since mango season is almost to an end. And I am Talking to a guy now who is going to help me grow a few things so I can sell stuff to the whole food market (and teach me to weld). I've also branched out and picked up the skills of an audio engineer, so I do the sound for funerals and weddings as well, but that is only like once a month or so.

So I have branched out, just posting to let you guys know you can take anything from Wii's and T-Shirts, to fruit and turn around and flip them for more. Any other ideas you guys have? I've told you my ways.

Also, after I read your post about your friend who talked his way into school, I've come in contact with someone who knows the dean of admissions to the school I'm looking to go to, so I'm taking your advice and gathering as many connections as possible now.

Just looking for more ways to maximize wealth, and further myself.

Any advice you guys have? Was thinking of getting my dad to help me make a 529 IRA, and look into Bonded Promissory Notes and Private Offset Bonds. You know anything about em'?

For an accountant, try to find someone you know. My friend/colleague does mine. He has saved me thousands.

Congrats on the entrepreneurship! I am a huge supporter of working for yourself. Remember the employer always makes more than the employee.

Congrats again regarding everything youve accomplished.

Notes and Bonds are really secure. Considering you age, I would use them sparingly. You should be aggressively chasing stocks and equity products. But you must assume all the risks involved. And you must do your own research.

If you wanna talk further, PM me. I think this may be out of the scope of the forvm.

Thanks for stopping by man

NJC_Manhattan
07-07-09, 4:45 pm
Berthold Auerbach said that music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

I personally like that quote. And I agree.

The single most popular thing in the world is music. Though people disagree on the most 'popular' genre. It is hard to find an individual that does not like music period.

Music is also incredible for stress and mental development. Playing an instrument is more so.

Research has shown that music has a profound effect on your body and psyche. In fact, there’s a growing field of health care known as Music Therapy, which uses music to heal. Those who practice music therapy are finding a benefit in using music to help cancer patients, children with ADD, and others, and even hospitals are beginning to use music and music therapy to help with pain management, to help ward off depression, to promote movement, to calm patients, to ease muscle tension, and for many other benefits that music and music therapy can bring. This is not surprising, as music affects the body and mind in many powerful ways. The following are some of effects of music, which help to explain the effectiveness of music therapy:

* Brain Waves: Research has shown that music with a strong beat can stimulate brainwaves to resonate in sync with the beat, with faster beats bringing sharper concentration and more alert thinking, and a slower tempo promoting a calm, meditative state. Also, research has found that the change in brainwave activity levels that music can bring can also enable the brain to shift speeds more easily on its own as needed, which means that music can bring lasting benefits to your state of mind, even after you’ve stopped listening.

* Breathing and Heart Rate: With alterations in brainwaves comes changes in other bodily functions. Those governed by the autonomic nervous system, such as breathing and heart rate can also be altered by the changes music can bring. This can mean slower breathing, slower heart rate, and an activation of the relaxation response, among other things. This is why music and music therapy can help counteract or prevent the damaging effects of chronic stress, greatly promoting not only relaxation, but health.

* State of Mind: Music can also be used to bring a more positive state of mind, helping to keep depression and anxiety at bay. This can help prevent the stress response from wreaking havoc on the body, and can help keep creativity and optimism levels higher, bringing many other benefits.

* Other Benefits: Music has also been found to bring many other benefits, such as lowering blood pressure (which can also reduce the risk of stroke and other health problems over time), boost immunity, ease muscle tension, and more. With so many benefits and such profound physical effects, it’s no surprise that so many are seeing music as an important tool to help the body in staying (or becoming) healthy.

Using Music Therapy:
With all these benefits that music can carry, it's no surprise that music therapy is growing in popularity. For more information on music therapy, visit the American Music Therapy Association's website.

Using Music On Your Own:
While music therapy is an important discipline, you can also achieve benefits from music on your own. This article on music, relaxation and stress management can explain more of how music can be an especially effective tool for stress management, and can be used in dailly life.

Application in lifting:
A lot of lifters I know listen to 'metal' 'hard rap' or 'rock'. Some say it 'pumps' you up. Well that is no coincidence. The tempo can change your heart rate. Those three genres have faster tempos and different pitches to change your heart rate and thus, indirectly, effect your energy levels.

I personally listen to all sorts of genres while lifting. I have been known to listen to classical and Opera while lifting. Sometimes Jazz as well. But I can't deny that rock/rap gets me amped.

Please be advised.

NJC_Manhattan
07-13-09, 8:34 pm
bump

Bartles
07-13-09, 8:56 pm
I've heard that the average person spends enough time in their car as it takes to earn 3 Ph.Ds
I do not know if that is true or not, but what are you doing in this time other then driving, nothing productive. Don't waste your time, download a ton of audio books and start listening to them in the car, anything from self improvement books, to fantasy to books on economics or books on psychology, whatever. Why not take advantage of your free time with an audio book? Walking to the store? Grab your Ipod which I know is now loaded with audio books. Doing cardio? Audio book time.

Read voraciously, and from many topics, you can always learn from stuff, be it PDFs and studies you have downloaded, to a book before you go to bed, to audio books when you can afford to plug in your headphones. If anyone is interested in getting tons of audio books or online PDFs PM me I'll hook you up.

NJC_Manhattan
07-13-09, 9:02 pm
Thanks Barltes. Good post.

I fully agree that reading/books is somewhat of a dying art. I want to get rid of a TV for the new apt I move into, but I like baseball and the news too much.

Audiobooks are great for those on the go. I am a full supported of online books, and of course actual books.

discipline24x7
07-14-09, 12:04 am
Wondering if anyone here has gotten into the books and philosophy of Ayn Rand. The way this thread is going, I think everyone here would enjoy it. Particularly you NJC_Manhattan

discipline24x7
07-14-09, 12:10 am
Wondering if anyone here has gotten into the books and philosophy of Ayn Rand. The way this thread is going, I think everyone here would enjoy it. Particularly you NJC_Manhattan

NJC_Manhattan
07-14-09, 8:34 am
I've read her novel the Fountainhead.

The main philosophy is objectivism. Objectivism holds that reality exists independent of consciousness. Human beings can gain objective knowledge from perception through the process of concept formation and logic. The only acceptable social system is full integration of individual rights, laissez fair capitalism, and the reproduction of realty in the physical form (art for example.)

This just scrapes the surface of her philosophy.

Thanks for your post

Bartles
07-14-09, 4:42 pm

I read Atlas Shrugged, the book is unbelievably long, 1200 pages of small print and big pages, good book, but at times felt like a chore to read.

I like some of her ideas, and I dislike others, what I did get out of it was a huge sense of needing to accomplishing anything and everything I wish, a true ass dragon If I may say.

Looking at the main characters, I was like " man, if this guy can put all this into his work, then I should be able to as well" Gave a different direction on how I see work now, instead of doing my job and "working" at work, I power through things, and push as hard as I do in the gym.

Give it a read.

NJC_Manhattan
07-14-09, 10:40 pm
I listed this in my journey, but I'll see if I can list it again from memory. Maybe I'll add some in as well...

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values - Robert Pirsig

A critique of pure reason - Kant

The Iliad - Homer

When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management - Lowenstein

Ulysses - Joyce

Invisible Man - Ellison

well here is a start... All of these books are significantly more than the context the prescribe. Each dives into different sections of Man and what it means to be Human.

discipline24x7
07-15-09, 1:01 am
I've read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. The effect on my psyche was akin to watching Dorian's Blood & Guts along with a serving of Shock Therapy before training. Very empowering.

I like your list of books...some good selections there.

NJC_Manhattan
07-15-09, 9:04 pm
Thanks for your post

NJC_Manhattan
07-24-09, 11:05 am
For those that work in the corporate setting. Basically, a publicly traded company where one has to dress/act a certain way.

Climbing the ladder does not mean putting one foot in front of the other and striving forward. Essentially it means getting ahead of others. I know this sounds dog-eat-dog, but this is kind of how it is.

How do we do this effectively?

1) In your group, you must be the--for lack of a better word--alpha. You know all that's going on, your fingers are in everything, and you complete tasks. You must be friendly, but never friends with your co-workers because this is viewed as unprofessional by superiors. Also, the day will come where you have to reprimand someone you work with. If you are in the 'friend zone', then this is an awkward and painstaking task.

2) With your boss. Never. And I repeat never kiss ass. Don't do it. Challenge your boss, but do it constructively.

Example:
Boss: "Mr. X, will you please go to each member of the team individually and create a spreadsheet of their performance this month."
Mr. X: "No problem. Do you think it would be more effective to create a spreadsheet template and have each person fill in their respective performance via email with you CC:d? That way we can save time and make sure the numbers are accurate because you are in the emails."
Boss: "Yes."

When Challenging, question the person's reasoning. If our Mr. X had said, no just email it out to the team and have them do it. Mr. X would come off cold and insubordinate. Those are the first steps to job termination. Be sure to relate the question to the task and give a slight compliment (by having the boss CC:d he can take some credit for your work, this way he/she will be more responsive regarding your idea)

3) Become formless. Do not act the same way all the time. Do not come into the office everyday at 9 and leave everyday at 5. Switch it up. Always have a schedule, but commit to nothing. Work very hard, but never let it seems as if it bothers you. Everyone wants to see the blood and sweat. No one wants to see the tears. Be smart, but never sound condescending.

This is just the beginning. Know your office and your surroundings. Envision what you want and develop a plan that you, and only you (no spouse/friend), know. Set the plan in motion and use others, without their knowledge of the plan, to help you. You will see your power grow immensely.

I did this at my old bank job, and at the ripe old age of 23 I was managing people twice my age and making more money than they were. If the bank hadn't folded, I had planned to be much further now.

Give it a shot.

NJC_Manhattan
07-30-09, 9:19 am
In life, people try to influence others through false promises.

1) 'GET RICH QUICK'. 99% of the time these are bogus. If it really could get you rich quick, then the guys pushing it would never share it. Be smart and protect yourself. NEVER get involved in schemes like this.

2) 'SEE RESULTS IN 30 DAYS'. If you're a member of this site, then you already know it takes a lot more than 30 days to realize your goals. Don't let these guys soup your head up with lies.

3)'CASH FOR GOLD/JEWELRY/ETC.' These places are the biggest rip off in the world. The pay you 60 cents on the dollar. That means they make 40% profit all the time. If you need to sell your gold/jewelry then go get the item appraised and put it on the open market.

Please be advised.

NJC_Manhattan
09-03-09, 1:32 pm
The 50th Law Part Two: FEAR and POWER - July 10, 2009

Our lives are often subject to a pattern of movement that is set in motion at birth. The human animal spends an inordinate amount of time in the mother's womb. When we are suddenly thrust out of that zone of comfort--where all our needs have been met--we enter an unfamiliar world of noise and light. We cannot help but desire a return to the womb. The mother serves as a substitute for this desire and we cling to her. We experience her absence for any extended period of time as a kind of terror.

This is the source of our deepest dread--of being abandoned and facing life alone, of emptiness and separation. This infantile fear bears little relationship to reality (the mother is never very far away); it stems from weakness and ignorance. As adults, we may think we have left such a fear behind, but it remains buried deep within and determines our actions in ways we cannot imagine. From our birth to our death, we continually crave comfort, warmth and security in whatever form we can find it. Forward is life and power but a part of us always wants to regress to the womb.

In childhood, a critical phase is reached. We are no longer so weak and helpless. We have a restless, adventurous spirit and we want to explore the world around us. If we are bold and given room by our parents to attempt things, we can develop a taste for risk and freedom that will mark us well into adulthood. But if we are held back, if we experience traumas in the form of unwanted change and confrontations, adversity, criticism from others, failure on any level, feeling too alone, then the opposite movement will occur. We will develop irrational fears about the world, and we will always move back to the warmth of the family to protect us. The need for comfort becomes more powerful than the desire to explore. And if our parents are nervous and full of fears themselves, this centripetal pull will be even stronger.

Our childish anxieties always have a grain of truth to them: there is danger in the world and pain that can come from venturing too far. But the anxiety we feel makes us exaggerate the danger, focus unnecessarily on the threat and causes us to stop moving out into the world. This at least gives us the illusion of control. If we stay within the circle of what is warm and familiar we can protect ourselves from hardship and suffering--or so it seems.

In adolescence we add a new layer of fear. We look beyond our family to our peers. Our greatest anxiety is to be ridiculed and excluded from a group, which now represents to us a new circle of warmth. We seek their approval. Our personality becomes formed around this desire. We smooth away our rough edges, what makes us an individual, and become obsessed with what people think of us and how we can please them.

At some point on this journey we find ourselves thrust into the cold and merciless work world. The illusion of being protected by mother, family or group is now gone. We must fend for ourselves. Our actions will determine how far we advance towards power. And if we continue to carry within us the irrational and unchallenged fears of our youth, we will inevitably resort to the regressive pattern that began in infancy. We will stick to a job or position that seems secure. Within that job, we can collect a paycheck and have our needs met--a womb-like relationship. We will adhere to the behavior patterns of our peers, or listen to the voices of our parents. Deep within, our thought process will also be infected. Certain ideas, cherished beliefs, strategies of action will become fixed in our brains; we will no longer be so open to new concepts or ways of doing things. Our minds will circle in familiar patterns.
fear_circle.jpg
Credit: Anna Biller

We can express this in the following way (see diagram above): we begin life holding on to positions of comfort and dependency. As we get older we are naturally drawn outward, towards actions that will bring us power. This outer zone seems unfamiliar and unpredictable, but inviting. At certain points of moving in this direction, however, we inevitably encounter a resistance or obstacle that triggers a fear--that of being alone, having to confront people and possibly displease them, making mistakes and being criticized, feeling bored and empty, dealing with change and possible adversity, losing what we have, facing death itself. At the instant we feel this fear we look backwards towards what is safe and comforting and move in that direction. We do not explore or take risks. We react and retreat in a single line. We draw a circle around ourselves that cuts us off from power, one that becomes a kind of self-imposed prison.

Life naturally involves moments of pain and loneliness, battles and setbacks. To feel fear and retreat because of them is to struggle against life itself. As conscious, rational adults, we are called to finally move past these childish illusions and fears, to embrace life and reality.

This is the essence of the 50th Law: when you move past this self-imposed circle, then you suddenly have options. You enter the realm of power. In the face of adversity, you no longer retreat along a single line. You explore the world and remain open to trying several things, depending on circumstances. With antagonists coming your way, you can bait them into a rash attack and follow this up with a counterattack; or you can lay low and buy time, seem to befriend them; or, believing the threat to be minor, you can choose to ignore them and conserve your energy. Beyond the circle of fear, you have the freedom to experiment and be creative with your response. You adhere to the 50th Law when you operate in this way.

Moving in the regressive, fearful direction, your options narrow with each passing year. Your fears tend to create new fears, as you back yourself into a corner and lose contact with power. Moving in the other direction brings the opposite dynamic. By being bold and true to your individuality, you make people respect you. They tend to get out of your way or follow you. You create your own circumstances, and one success tends to bring another. You have flow, moving with the chaos and changes in the modern world, instead of holding on to the past. All of this translates into potential force, as defined by Sun-tzu.

At such a point, the fears noted on the circle reverse themselves into forms of power. Overcoming the fear of loneliness, for instance, helps you develop self-reliance; moving past the fear of criticism brings you the power to learn from your mistakes; getting over the fear of boredom and empty moments helps you cultivate discipline and the ability to learn any craft.

Understand: we all feel too much fear in our lives. It is the source of our unhappiness. Almost all powerful, creative people in this world feel less fear than others; it is the secret of their success in any field.

Being fearless is not necessarily what you think. It does not mean being aggressive and bold at every moment. People who are uncontrollably aggressive in life are often secretly governed by fears and insecurities. Fearlessness on this level is more about possessing balance. When events occur, neutral or seemingly negative, fearless types have the capacity to focus on reality and not give disproportionate weight to the threat or risk. Having confronted and overcome the fear of death itself gives them a sense of proportion and priority--considering that our days are numbered, it is often not worth it to get so upset over the petty battles of the moment; better to act with urgency and energy on things that really matter. Unconcerned with what people think of them, these types feel free to give rein to their desires and whims, to be themselves.

In the end, what marks their spirit is a sense of calmness, freedom and mobility that are the necessary qualities for power in periods of dynamic change such as now. They are not weighed down by all the negative emotions that come from being overly concerned about others opinions, or feeling dependent on people. This frees up more energy to be creative. And what spells the difference between these types and those encircled by fear is merely the attitude towards life that they have chosen.

The book The 50th Law is based on a simple premise and strategy: You are asleep. You are not aware of the degree to which fear determines your actions. What bothers people now and makes them fret and retreat would hardly have upset an American in the 19th century, facing constant threats from the environment. We cannot see this, however. We don't have enough distance and detachment to observe how far we have traveled down the path of fear. And so the book is designed to fill such a role--to wake you up and make you reflect upon the fears inhibiting your mobility. There is no good in avoiding our fears and pretending they don't exist--we must turn around and look them square in the eye so we can move past them.

The fearless types in history generally experienced harsh circumstances that toughened them up. But many people suffer adversity and are simply overwhelmed by them. The difference is the ability that some people have to absorb these experiences and reflect on the negative influence of fear in their lives. What matters is awareness not experience. And so The 50th Law functions as a tool for leading you to similar levels of awareness. Each chapter focuses on a particular primal fear we all feel. It shows how the fear hides itself within you and subtly misdirects you in life. It indicates ways to confront and overcome each of these fears, strategies on how to convert them into their opposites. Each chapter is illustrated with stories from Fifty's life, as well as from historical figures who are exemplars of the 50th Law. Such stories serve as inspiration and guideposts.

This is only half of the equation, however. What will probably happen is that at some point during or after the reading you will have to confront some novel situation or difficulty. Made aware of how fear will cause you unconsciously to react and retreat, you will stop that motion and reflect. You will not give undue attention to the threat or danger that it involves. That alone will make you open to the possibility of trying something different. And having tasted a bit of the freedom that comes from moving past the circle, you will want more and more of this. Once you set foot on this path, you will never want to turn back.

Written by Robert Greene.

An excellent look into human fears.

NJC_Manhattan
09-08-09, 7:34 am
Let's face it, even Arnold is human. After all, we can't operate at 100% all the time. Some days people are 'out of it'. Nothing is working, everything is sore. We are tired. Too busy. And thus we put things off until the last minute and most likely half-ass the task at hand.

So how can we combat this?

Obvious things like more sleep, better diet, efficient exercise will assist. But what about internally? Meaning, can we mentally get rid of excuses? Even further, through thought can we eliminate physical feelings (pain, fatigue)?

Application:
Our perspective changes with our mood. If you are happy, things just seem better than they are. When we are angry, things seem worse than they are.

So in order to change our perspective we must change our mood. If I am in a bad mood before the gym, then I take 5 mins to reflect and mentally force my mood to change.

I never thought I could do that with physical feelings, but it is possible--to an extent. Obviously, if you are seriously injured, no amount of logic and/or thought will supress that pain. But with minor things like soreness and fatigue, you can mentally push yourself out of that.

Concentrate on anything but that feeling. Get so deep into that thought, that your mind has no choice but to ignore the physical aligment. We can only process so much at one time.

Try it.

weedlewott
09-08-09, 8:12 am
Excellent write up man. Glad you went looking for that. Great read.

NJC_Manhattan
09-10-09, 7:50 pm
Excellent write up man. Glad you went looking for that. Great read.

No problem my man

Bartles
09-11-09, 8:26 am
For those that work in the corporate setting. Basically, a publicly traded company where one has to dress/act a certain way.

Climbing the ladder does not mean putting one foot in front of the other and striving forward. Essentially it means getting ahead of others. I know this sounds dog-eat-dog, but this is kind of how it is.

How do we do this effectively?

1) In your group, you must be the--for lack of a better word--alpha. You know all that's going on, your fingers are in everything, and you complete tasks. You must be friendly, but never friends with your co-workers because this is viewed as unprofessional by superiors. Also, the day will come where you have to reprimand someone you work with. If you are in the 'friend zone', then this is an awkward and painstaking task.

2) With your boss. Never. And I repeat never kiss ass. Don't do it. Challenge your boss, but do it constructively.

Example:
Boss: "Mr. X, will you please go to each member of the team individually and create a spreadsheet of their performance this month."
Mr. X: "No problem. Do you think it would be more effective to create a spreadsheet template and have each person fill in their respective performance via email with you CC:d? That way we can save time and make sure the numbers are accurate because you are in the emails."
Boss: "Yes."

When Challenging, question the person's reasoning. If our Mr. X had said, no just email it out to the team and have them do it. Mr. X would come off cold and insubordinate. Those are the first steps to job termination. Be sure to relate the question to the task and give a slight compliment (by having the boss CC:d he can take some credit for your work, this way he/she will be more responsive regarding your idea)

3) Become formless. Do not act the same way all the time. Do not come into the office everyday at 9 and leave everyday at 5. Switch it up. Always have a schedule, but commit to nothing. Work very hard, but never let it seems as if it bothers you. Everyone wants to see the blood and sweat. No one wants to see the tears. Be smart, but never sound condescending.

This is just the beginning. Know your office and your surroundings. Envision what you want and develop a plan that you, and only you (no spouse/friend), know. Set the plan in motion and use others, without their knowledge of the plan, to help you. You will see your power grow immensely.

I did this at my old bank job, and at the ripe old age of 23 I was managing people twice my age and making more money than they were. If the bank hadn't folded, I had planned to be much further now.

Give it a shot.

100% true. This has helped me a lot. I've only been working at my new job for 8~ weeks and have recieved 2 promotions / pay raises. And would have been a manager if it were not for my age( They had the keys ready and everything, they forgot I was under 18, corprate rule, sucks). Work hard, be happy, don't shine too bright when the boss isnt around so people don't hate you, always have an ear open to things. And be GREAT at your job, remember this, you are hired to make people money. Do it.
Like NJC said, always be looking for improvments, but make the guy incharge happy, but show your worth without brown nosing.

All I can really think of thats helped me with this, anyone else have any good ways they have opened themselfs a position for advancement? Or just better relations with co-workers, as I'm no longer eligiable for anysort of advancement for a while :(

I might have to go out and get that book now. I have a few good book PDF's on talking to people / psychology if anyone is intrested as well.

NJC_Manhattan
09-14-09, 2:49 pm
Thanks for the post Bartles

NJC_Manhattan
09-18-09, 11:52 am
We all live in a pop-culture oriented society. Even if you want to avoid it, you really can't. The fact that you know its existence means it is too late.

Though I am not one to judge, I can't help but feel somewhat annoyed when I realize that most people would rather watch reality TV then hear their president address the nation. Some people have no idea what is going on in the economy day-to-day, but they can spit off sportscenter highlights, TMZ information, and other talking head chatter like its old hat.

So how does this relate to influence, power, wealth, and not dieing?

Influence:
If you utilize pop-culture, then you can either educate people (without their knowledge) or (which is more the norm) mind numb people. Useless information is a curse. You ever see somebody upset because they know something? I have. Its nothing pretty. Influencing others through a pop medium is incredibly easy because they have already been exposed to the stimulant and expect a certain outcome. Thus, if you work within this frame you can grasp them.

Please be advised that I am NOT talking about manipulation or soul-crushing control over the masses. What I am trying to point out is the inherent dangerous nature of pop-culture and the mob mentality it produces.

Power:
As per the above, power from pop-culture is obvious (monetary wealth, global exposure, name recognition, social status, etc.).

Wealth:
Beyond financial wealth, what does pop-culture offer society? Other than entertainment, I personally do not know the answer to this question.

Not Dieing:
Earlier in this thread--in its infantile stages--not dieing could be defined as synonymous with immortality. Though it pains me to admit it, pop-culture has immortalized itself through the validation of its 'art' through awards (oscars, grammys, VMAs, etc.), its permanence (Recorded life on film--Moives, TV--that are able to be replayed long after agents involved has passed from the living. Recorded sound of tape--MP3, CDs--that can be replayed anytime), and--the most important factor--how many continue to follow this medium.

So how can we apply this to ourselves?
Let me start my explanation with an example. The movie The Godfather is arguably the finest piece of film ever made. Critics and civilians alike adore the movie. But why? Under 0.001% of the global population is in a life a crime or mafia setting. This is important because people normally 'like' what they can identify with. So how does The Godfather relate to people? Is it the family aspects? Loyalty? Feelings of betrayal? There is something so human about the movie, that it transcends above a 'mob flick' to something greater. Something few have felt, but all strive for. Our journey to greatness. Thus, we find our connection.

People want to be a part of greatness. Our society has manifested greatness into something tangible through the pop-culture medium. Being exceptionally good looking, rich, successful, and--in some ways--lacking legitimate intelligence. I am not saying this is the correct medium or manifestation, but--nonetheless--pop-culture has ensnared society to such a degree that people want to be a part of it. This radical mosaic we live in and the substantial events in life (World Wars, politics, law, human rights, economy, religion) are almost thrown to the wayside in lieu of pop-culture. Though we haven't forgot about them, we don't live on par with these life altering events.

I guess people would much rather watch the Office, read US weekly, surf the internet, and listen to Jay-z's new album. I dont want to come across as if I'm scolding this behavior, I just believe some people aren't aware of society's effects on their behavior.

Just FYI

andrewT
09-21-09, 10:16 pm
a DAMN GOOD read!

I gotta pick up that book your talking about!
your writing conveys such confidence and power!

look forward to more

NJC_Manhattan
09-22-09, 10:05 am
a DAMN GOOD read!

I gotta pick up that book your talking about!
your writing conveys such confidence and power!

look forward to more

Appreciate it Andrew. Glad to have you here

NJC_Manhattan
09-28-09, 9:23 pm
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/video_derrion_albert

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Above is one of a number of stories of childern (13-20) physically abusing each other. This one happened to result in death. This kind of behavior is completely unacceptable. But who is to blame? Society? The parents? The kids? Maybe it's some kind of combo of the former.

Thought it was an interesting article.

NJC_Manhattan
11-04-09, 10:56 am
Its been a while since I posted here.

Wanted to discuss some basic health issues. Been thinking about this since one of my friends ignored a tooth ache and now has to go into surgery to have the tooth repaired. She ignored the problem for 8 months because she was 'way too busy'.

I've heard this excuse a number of times. Yet, I have seen these same people sit around after work and/or screw around on the weekends. I guess it is not because they are too busy, but because they don't want to inconvenience their routine. Or maybe they are just lazy.

These are the same people that can't afford health insurance, but have HDTV. Then complain about not having health insurance. It is completely unacceptable.

Remember, health is paramount to petty things like free-time or a higher standard of living.

Please be advised.

N. Motta
11-10-09, 8:44 pm
Its been a while since I posted here.

Wanted to discuss some basic health issues. Been thinking about this since one of my friends ignored a tooth ache and now has to go into surgery to have the tooth repaired. She ignored the problem for 8 months because she was 'way too busy'.

I've heard this excuse a number of times. Yet, I have seen these same people sit around after work and/or screw around on the weekends. I guess it is not because they are too busy, but because they don't want to inconvenience their routine. Or maybe they are just lazy.

These are the same people that can't afford health insurance, but have HDTV. Then complain about not having health insurance. It is completely unacceptable.

Remember, health is paramount to petty things like free-time or a higher standard of living.

Please be advised.

Great post man. I have plenty of friends with these same traits and/or rants. I have wanted to say the same thing, but felt that it wasn't my place.

Very true.

NJC_Manhattan
11-20-09, 7:45 pm
Great post man. I have plenty of friends with these same traits and/or rants. I have wanted to say the same thing, but felt that it wasn't my place.

Very true.

Thanks for the stop by man.

ironshaolin
11-20-09, 8:09 pm
Cool thread.

As far as influence goes. This is something I'm familiar with, as I teach martial arts professionally, and its basically my job to influence people. I believe the first step is in yourself. Walking the talk. The old principles of respect, courtesy, modesty, integrity, honor, self discipline, self control are all leading into how people feel about you. They say you shouldn't judge a book by the cover, but people do. People will judge you within 5 seconds of meeting you. So, showing that you have the discipline to shave, be clean, keep your hair neat reflects on your self worth. Living in a way people would want to strive for. Next step is in courtesy and respect. How do you treat the people around you? Do you talk about good stuff, or do you tell your problems to everyone? Are you friendly and approchable?
When you have those steps down, then you can begin to influence people to a particular thing, such as a way of thinking, purchasing a product, believing in you enough to buy from you, etc...

It is my true believe that the more you serve, the more you deserve. For maximizing wealth, as strange as it is, don't focus on money. For instance, with my buisness(martial arts) If I focused on bringing new students in, trying to get more money from them, charging them for everything I can think of, you lose students. When I focus on teaching educating, exciting and inspirational classes, followed up by creating strong relationships with the students and their families, and doing everything in my power to help them achieve their goals, the buisness begins to grow on its own. I think everyone should find something that they love to do, and serves other people of this world in some way shape or form, then strive to get the most out of it the world would be a better place.

zbrewha863
11-22-09, 5:32 am
Wealth:
Beyond financial wealth, what does pop-culture offer society? Other than entertainment, I personally do not know the answer to this question.

First of all, great idea for a thread. I feel more stimulated after having read through this thread than most of the things I do on the internet.

As far as wealth goes, I think that you may have answered this question earlier in post #91 about the 50th Law.

Most human beings see the world as a cold, abrasive place, and most human beings' primary goal is security. Wealth is basically anything that facilitates security, because the wealthier you are, the more options you have to reach your goal. I am not just speaking of security from being attacked, but also of security from disease, hunger, etc.

As John Locke pointed out, the reason governments developed was in order to provide security to people -- people made a pact with their government to exchange property (i.e. wealth)(property meaning not only real property, but also some personal freedoms and money in the form of taxes, fees, etc.) for security. This exchange takes place in any group, not just government -- everything from professional associations to informal groups of friends require you to exchange certain property (dues, labor, time, etc.) in exchange for security (friendship, professional contacts, privileges, etc.), as well as influence and power.

Basically, societies are made up of layers of groups, and all groups are based on forming and maintaining relationships. Culture is essentially the way that people go about forming and maintaining relationships -- whether it is with other people, objects (tangible or intangible), or a combination of these things.

Human beings' formative years for developing culture, which will ultimately decide how they develop relationships, are mostly in adolescence. By the time someone reaches adulthood, their cultural habits and viewpoints are fairly set. So, how do people form relationships during their formative years? Awkwardly. At some point, all teenagers will question their social development -- what group do I belong in? What is the best group for me short term and long term? How do I assimilate into this group?

Hundreds of years ago, these questions were already answered for people thanks to the caste system. As soon as you were born, you knew exactly what group you would be in for the rest of your life. People could then tailor their social development to these groups, they were readily accepted by such groups, and they realized that being a part of these groups was the best decision for them (since it was their only real option).

Today people are much freer to join whatever group(s) they want. With this freedom comes confusion though, as I stated above. With parents working more and children in school longer, it becomes increasingly difficult for teenagers to learn the answers to these questions. Enter pop culture. Pop culture attempts to answer these questions for teenagers in order to teach them how to assimilate into whatever group(s) is/are controlling the message.

First, pop culture has to establish itself as the kind of group that people would want to join. It does this through a variety of ways. As you mentioned earlier, one of the main ways is through awards -- I forget the figure, but there is an award given out in the celebrity world something like every 12 minutes. These awards, which are created by the same pop culture (and often the same companies) who receive them, establish value. There are other ways as well. TMZ-style "celebrity journalism" helps to establish that celebrities have real influence and power, while accentuating the wealth that comes with celebrity. This establishes the message that pop culture is desireable -- this is the group that you want to join.

The next step is just to convey that message to the audience. Yes, they want to join it, they see all the wealth, power, influence, and fame (i.e. not dying) as the keys to reaching their goal of security. But how do they join the group? Pop culture can tell you! Dress like this, listen to this music, speak this way, have friends like this, and do these kinds of things for a living -- presto, you're in the group!

Once you're in the group, you should have ultimate success and reach all of your goals. If not, pop culture will tell you that the reason is that you are not behaving properly to relate to the group. The style has changed, you have to buy new clothes, cars, furnishings, and music to be a part of the group again. You may have to change the way you speak again, or change your friend base, or get another job. But it is ok, because then you will be a part of the group again, and look what wonderful things you get when you are part of the group.

This is the way that pop culture contributes to wealth, both superficially and realistically. Superficially, it creates wealth by giving out awards, creating its own media outlets, and flashing large amounts of money. This creates the perception of wealth in people who view pop culture, which feeds their desire to gain wealth personally. But perception is reality, so there is an argument that this wealth is real because it helps bring a level of security to the people who buy into pop culture.

Realistically, pop culture creates wealth in two ways.

First by convincing people to buy things. Every person has bought something ridiculous because they thought that someone else would see them with it and think that they were cool. Most people buy most of their possessions for this reason. House, vehicle, clothing -- all to be a part of this group. This generates wealth for companies that can tap into pop culture.

Second by creating celebrities. Pop culture needs celebrities to legitimize itself, so it has to find people to make celebrities. Those people acquire wealth (briefly, most of the time) once they become a celebrity. This really just feeds back into convincing people to buy things though -- including celebrities themselves, who have to buy more than anyone else in order to maintain their celebrity status.

Does this make sense?

NJC_Manhattan
11-25-09, 12:09 pm
I think you've touched on some great points.

Regarding wealth, however, we want to discuss wealth beyond financial health. Essentially, things that we believe to have value (family, friends, benefiting society, etc.) are what leads to true wealth. Granted finances need to be inline for people to act, but we want to achieve something beyond the pop-culture view of success. Though on the other hand, success is a subjective thing and in the eye of the beholder.

NJC_Manhattan
12-04-09, 7:51 pm
Cool thread.

As far as influence goes. This is something I'm familiar with, as I teach martial arts professionally, and its basically my job to influence people. I believe the first step is in yourself. Walking the talk. The old principles of respect, courtesy, modesty, integrity, honor, self discipline, self control are all leading into how people feel about you. They say you shouldn't judge a book by the cover, but people do. People will judge you within 5 seconds of meeting you. So, showing that you have the discipline to shave, be clean, keep your hair neat reflects on your self worth. Living in a way people would want to strive for. Next step is in courtesy and respect. How do you treat the people around you? Do you talk about good stuff, or do you tell your problems to everyone? Are you friendly and approchable?
When you have those steps down, then you can begin to influence people to a particular thing, such as a way of thinking, purchasing a product, believing in you enough to buy from you, etc...

It is my true believe that the more you serve, the more you deserve. For maximizing wealth, as strange as it is, don't focus on money. For instance, with my buisness(martial arts) If I focused on bringing new students in, trying to get more money from them, charging them for everything I can think of, you lose students. When I focus on teaching educating, exciting and inspirational classes, followed up by creating strong relationships with the students and their families, and doing everything in my power to help them achieve their goals, the buisness begins to grow on its own. I think everyone should find something that they love to do, and serves other people of this world in some way shape or form, then strive to get the most out of it the world would be a better place.

Agreed, we should retreat from our desires.

You also mentioned some great points.

zbrewha863
01-11-10, 3:11 pm
I thought about posting this in my own thread, but it seems to follow the direction that this thread is going in more closely. The Edge, a sort of information/communication think tank/news agency, came out with their Question of the Year for 2010 -- How is the Internet Changing the Way YOU Think? (http://www.edge.org/q2010/q10_index.html)

I found a great response article in the WSJ here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-brockman/the-collective-conscious_b_418453.html) by John Brockman -- one of the many POVs on this question.

I'm interested to see what others' POVs are on this question. Do you think that the Internet has formed a collective mind that may be capable of thinking independently of individuals, or even replacing individual mindsets alltogether? Do you think that our reality is based on our perceptions of the technologies we create? Is the World Wide Web only the first step in a completely new way of influencing the thoughts of others (i.e. communicating)? How do all of these questions relate to the basic human goals of gaining influence, power, wealth, and longevity/immortality?

NJC_Manhattan
01-26-10, 9:40 pm
I thought about posting this in my own thread, but it seems to follow the direction that this thread is going in more closely. The Edge, a sort of information/communication think tank/news agency, came out with their Question of the Year for 2010 -- How is the Internet Changing the Way YOU Think? (http://www.edge.org/q2010/q10_index.html)

I found a great response article in the WSJ here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-brockman/the-collective-conscious_b_418453.html) by John Brockman -- one of the many POVs on this question.

I'm interested to see what others' POVs are on this question. Do you think that the Internet has formed a collective mind that may be capable of thinking independently of individuals, or even replacing individual mindsets alltogether? Do you think that our reality is based on our perceptions of the technologies we create? Is the World Wide Web only the first step in a completely new way of influencing the thoughts of others (i.e. communicating)? How do all of these questions relate to the basic human goals of gaining influence, power, wealth, and longevity/immortality?

I think Thomas Friedman addressed this perfectly in "The World is Flat", essentially it brings people significantly closer. The 6 degrees of separation no longer exists. Of course, this is all globalization talk, which takes into account a number of factors.

On one hand, the internet is a fantastic tool, on the other hand if the internet were a tangible thing it would probably be a monster or some kind of beast. The anonymous nature of the internet allows people to post content that is truly horrific (you can fill in the blanks on that one).

In terms of gaining influence, the answer is clear. Blogging, businesses, marketing, etc. and access to the global community. That is fantastic.

Power: This goes hand in hand with the influence. Same principals apply.

Wealth: One can easily make money online. Online trading, e-shop, setting up intellectual property, etc. In terms of true wealth (family, friends), we can stay connected no matter how far away we are. We can plan and set up our lives. It is a tool for wealth

Immortality: This does not have one single answer. Since the internet is so anonymous, I don't think we can truly achieve immortality through this medium.

Great questions and great articles

NJC_Manhattan
02-11-10, 2:40 pm
bump

NJC_Manhattan
02-17-10, 8:27 pm
Interesting....

Whether you live in a city or on a farm, boredom can hit at any moment. Boredom is truly awful. The feeling is beyond discussion, as we have all felt it at one point or another.

So how do we avoid this?

Boredom stems from the brain. Essentially when the brain isn't engaged in an activity that stimulates, then it tells your body to 'relax' thinking that it may be time to sleep, but this is counterintuitive for what we want.

Since this is all based on perception. For example, what a baby finds challenging an adult would not. We must constantly strive for challenges. You can tell a challenge if it frightens you somewhat or causes you to think deeply.

Give it a shot and you will never experience the bane of boredom

NJC_Manhattan
02-26-10, 11:38 am
bumpin

Beach91
02-26-10, 1:24 pm
Nice Manhattan, totally agree on the thread on boredom, as long as one has their mind into something, a challenge, one will be focused on that challenge and never be bored, i agree wholeheartedly

glad i found this thread, subbed

NJC_Manhattan
02-26-10, 8:08 pm
Nice Manhattan, totally agree on the thread on boredom, as long as one has their mind into something, a challenge, one will be focused on that challenge and never be bored, i agree wholeheartedly

glad i found this thread, subbed

Glad to have you here man

Bartles
05-12-10, 9:43 am
Haven't check up on this thread in a while, It seems to have pretty much died out. I've learned a lot from it so far. So BUMP.

Also, NJC, I purchased the 50th Law, Great book, and a definite motivatior thanks for showing it to us all.

zbrewha863
05-12-10, 8:39 pm
I think Thomas Friedman addressed this perfectly in "The World is Flat", essentially it brings people significantly closer. The 6 degrees of separation no longer exists. Of course, this is all globalization talk, which takes into account a number of factors.

On one hand, the internet is a fantastic tool, on the other hand if the internet were a tangible thing it would probably be a monster or some kind of beast. The anonymous nature of the internet allows people to post content that is truly horrific (you can fill in the blanks on that one).

In terms of gaining influence, the answer is clear. Blogging, businesses, marketing, etc. and access to the global community. That is fantastic.

Power: This goes hand in hand with the influence. Same principals apply.

Wealth: One can easily make money online. Online trading, e-shop, setting up intellectual property, etc. In terms of true wealth (family, friends), we can stay connected no matter how far away we are. We can plan and set up our lives. It is a tool for wealth

Immortality: This does not have one single answer. Since the internet is so anonymous, I don't think we can truly achieve immortality through this medium.

Great questions and great articles

True, good points. One thing that one of the commentors (maybe Brockman?) asked was, specifically, how does it change the way YOU think? How do your personal perceptions of the world, or things like your personal wealth and power, change with the internet? I'll give an example of what, as far as I can tell, it is that I'm talking about.

Influence others -- I think that, with the advent of things like blogs and forums, my own personal influence has grown in many ways, and waned in some as well. I objectively have more influence in the world because my views, accomplishments, and questions are broadcast worldwide. But subjectively, I feel that the sheer overload of information available online has degraded the inherent quality of information, so that my views, accomplishments, and questions are not viewed as seriously online. In other words, I feel that the market has been flooded with information, and no one is buying.

Gain power -- I feel that it has been much easier for me to gain power in the Internet Age (or whatever you like to call it). I am the former COO of a successful multimedia company, which I helped grow while I was still in college. Normally I would never have had the chance to help run such a successful company (let alone that such a company wouldn't exist before the Internet Age), but online my persona, and that of my company, is what I make it out to be. Instead of a 26-year-old law school student who most businessmen would view as a neophyte, I am a seasoned veteran of upper management with bold ideas and a commitment to absolute exellence. Both perceptions of me are true, but the internet doesn't know that. The internet allows me to fly as high as I want without having to "pay my dues."

Maximize wealth -- I'm not sure I fully understand how to utilize the internet for this purpose. Yes, it is cheaper to buy most things online, and I understand how to make money off of websites, but I feel that these things are just the tip of the iceberg. Since the internet has become mainstream (circa 1995), the wealth distribution in America has shifted towards the top quartile 120% faster -- there are lots of other charts and facts out there, I don't want to come off as a left-wing lunatic (I am not one) so I won't spout them off. Needless to say, I feel I'm missing something. Maybe it creates more of a trickle-up economy where so many people buy more stuff (because it is easier to shop online than hunt stuff down all over the world), or maybe it's just that the wealthy people have enough money to take advantage of the large-scale globalization possibilities the internet provides (ala "The World is Flat"). Hmmm....

Not die -- I thought NYC had a very interesting point, but half serious, half devil's advocate, I would like to argue the opposite. Since coming to law school, I have worked hand-in-hand with the Director of the National Archives on an internationally-acclaimed research project. I have written briefs and articles that have been picked up by legal scholars nationwide. Before the internet, none of this would be possible. I go to a good, but obscure, law school. I would never have been put in contact with the Director, let alone be able to work with him on anything, and any briefs or articles I wrote would be filed in hard copy in some obscure law library, where no one would likely find them until they were obsolete. The internet allows lots of dumb and pointless stuff to be posted worldwide, but it also allows for groundbreaking work to be posted and accessed worldwide, ostensibly forever.

What are other people's experiences and opinions?

NJC_Manhattan
05-12-10, 8:46 pm
Haven't check up on this thread in a while, It seems to have pretty much died out. I've learned a lot from it so far. So BUMP.

Also, NJC, I purchased the 50th Law, Great book, and a definite motivatior thanks for showing it to us all.

Oh sir, this thread has far from died out. haha.

Glad you like the book. It's one of the most impressive books out there. Though I like the 48 laws of power more than that 50 cent rendition, but nonetheless compelling.

NJC_Manhattan
05-12-10, 8:47 pm
True, good points. One thing that one of the commentors (maybe Brockman?) asked was, specifically, how does it change the way YOU think? How do your personal perceptions of the world, or things like your personal wealth and power, change with the internet? I'll give an example of what, as far as I can tell, it is that I'm talking about.

Influence others -- I think that, with the advent of things like blogs and forums, my own personal influence has grown in many ways, and waned in some as well. I objectively have more influence in the world because my views, accomplishments, and questions are broadcast worldwide. But subjectively, I feel that the sheer overload of information available online has degraded the inherent quality of information, so that my views, accomplishments, and questions are not viewed as seriously online. In other words, I feel that the market has been flooded with information, and no one is buying.

Gain power -- I feel that it has been much easier for me to gain power in the Internet Age (or whatever you like to call it). I am the former COO of a successful multimedia company, which I helped grow while I was still in college. Normally I would never have had the chance to help run such a successful company (let alone that such a company wouldn't exist before the Internet Age), but online my persona, and that of my company, is what I make it out to be. Instead of a 26-year-old law school student who most businessmen would view as a neophyte, I am a seasoned veteran of upper management with bold ideas and a commitment to absolute exellence. Both perceptions of me are true, but the internet doesn't know that. The internet allows me to fly as high as I want without having to "pay my dues."

Maximize wealth -- I'm not sure I fully understand how to utilize the internet for this purpose. Yes, it is cheaper to buy most things online, and I understand how to make money off of websites, but I feel that these things are just the tip of the iceberg. Since the internet has become mainstream (circa 1995), the wealth distribution in America has shifted towards the top quartile 120% faster -- there are lots of other charts and facts out there, I don't want to come off as a left-wing lunatic (I am not one) so I won't spout them off. Needless to say, I feel I'm missing something. Maybe it creates more of a trickle-up economy where so many people buy more stuff (because it is easier to shop online than hunt stuff down all over the world), or maybe it's just that the wealthy people have enough money to take advantage of the large-scale globalization possibilities the internet provides (ala "The World is Flat"). Hmmm....

Not die -- I thought NYC had a very interesting point, but half serious, half devil's advocate, I would like to argue the opposite. Since coming to law school, I have worked hand-in-hand with the Director of the National Archives on an internationally-acclaimed research project. I have written briefs and articles that have been picked up by legal scholars nationwide. Before the internet, none of this would be possible. I go to a good, but obscure, law school. I would never have been put in contact with the Director, let alone be able to work with him on anything, and any briefs or articles I wrote would be filed in hard copy in some obscure law library, where no one would likely find them until they were obsolete. The internet allows lots of dumb and pointless stuff to be posted worldwide, but it also allows for groundbreaking work to be posted and accessed worldwide, ostensibly forever.

What are other people's experiences and opinions?

Excellent points.

Though the internet is a thing that is consistently changing. I can't grasp what is or where its going. Even trying to figure out what it was is difficult.

NJC_Manhattan
06-08-10, 7:56 pm
Love it or hate it, dirty energy (oil, coal, gas, etc.) is here to stay. Green energy is too new to be taken fully seriously, and if it can't beat the price of coal (cheapest form of energy), then it won't ever work.

With that being said, this BP disaster has truly shown the horrific nature of energy. The well that burst is drilled deep through the earth's surface and could technically dump oil for the next 7-8 years if nothing is done. BP makes $44m in revenue a day, and is losing $22m of that revenue a day from this disaster. Thus, their stock price is sinking, and other big oil dogs are eying BP because it is ripe for acquisition. Let's not even touch the other economic fallout from this (local fishermen getting put out of business, boat charter cancellations, etc.) that hurt the 'small guy'. Even more important is the environmental impact. This oil threatens highly sensitive areas of the gulf coast and general wild life. I'm no overly liberal hippie, but this is disgusting to me.

So where do we go from here? We can't say no more offshore drilling because oil would trend up past $200 a barrel and we would effectively be 'screwed'. We can't go completely green without sending the economy to rock bottom. It technically isn't the job of the government to do something, but nonetheless there should be more involvement.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

zbrewha863
07-07-10, 12:55 pm
I currently work for a solar power company in Florida, so I have some views on the situation.

First things first, you have to fix the leak. It seems like an obvious point, but many people involved in the situation are taking more of a broad-reaching approach to the problem -- looking into the possibility of this happening again -- before the current crisis is fixed. There's a good article in Fortune magazine from a few years ago (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2005/03/21/8254830/index.htm) on "The Best Advice I Ever Got" from different CEOs and leaders of their fields. Anne Mulcahy (CEO of Xerox) said hers was:

'When everything gets really complicated and you feel overwhelmed,' he told me, 'think about it this way: You gotta do three things. First, get the cow out of the ditch. Second, find out how the cow got into the ditch. Third, make sure you do whatever it takes so the cow doesn't go into the ditch again.'

Right now the cow is in the ditch. Not just for BP, but for the country as a whole. I'm not a big environmentalist per se, but I think that what is essentially the compromise of half the United States' southern border, including one of its key ports, is a crisis that effects at least the entire Eastern United States (much of which is largely dependent in some way on New Orleans' ports to supply agricultural products from the midwest).

So first, whatever it takes (short of creating a larger disaster, i.e. detonating a nuclear bomb in the leak like the Russians suggested), fix the leak.

Second, I think the country has to take another look at free market economy and utility regulation. This disaster has basically proven that in a deregulated market, not all companies will self-regulate for the public good.

The government has to provide some sort of bulwark against public harm. Especially in the area of energy, where most Americans are completely dependent on private companies irregardless (i.e. they can only refuse to do business with energy companies to the extent that there is a viable alternative, which is not often the case), the government has to protect the public because the public can not reasonably protect itself.

[Have to run, may finish posting later]

korn_fed
12-07-11, 11:51 pm
i just stumbled across this thread today and boy, is it a mind fuck. its like one of those movies where you really have to pay attention closely to figure out whats going on but in the end, you feel accomplished for solving it. please bring this thread back to life, i just spent the last 45 minutes reading all 6 pages non stop

NJC_Manhattan
12-28-11, 8:48 pm
i just stumbled across this thread today and boy, is it a mind fuck. its like one of those movies where you really have to pay attention closely to figure out whats going on but in the end, you feel accomplished for solving it. please bring this thread back to life, i just spent the last 45 minutes reading all 6 pages non stop

No problem.

You're right, it has been a while since anything was posted in here. So let's start it up and discuss something relevant to weightlifting.

We've all heard the query, 'Which character trait of yours do you think is strongest and why?' or some variation of that question. Most typical answers are loyalty, intelligence, energy, hard work, etc. But how many times do you hear the answer, 'well my greatest strength is my willpower'. I'm guessing its probably a low margin.

Now, willpower is one of those terms that is loosely thrown around and really doesn't have any concrete meaning. For sake of argument, let's define it as prolonged perseverance. It is easy to have willpower when we contemplate things in life that we want (power, wealth, health, happiness, etc.) and, furthermore, the means to get them. But what about putting that contemplation into action every day? Sure its easy for us to set a workout/diet plan, but what about that time when you're drained and all you can think about is your favorite food. How strong is your willpower then? If you're human, then its most likely weak. So we need to figure out how to strengthen this attribute of humanity. I'd like to suggest the following;

Utilize procrastination to your advantage;
Here's a test. Don't think about white gorillas for 5 minutes. What are you thinking about right now? Is it white gorillas? Notice that when you abstain from any temptation that the intensity to indulge in that temptation increases exponentially. Thus, flip this curse into a blessing. While dieting, procrastinate cheat meals (think in just a few days I can eat anything I want). Procrastinate rest periods (Just a few more reps, then I can rest). Do not say, 'I'll never drink beer again' or 'I'll never have pizza again', you'll be setting yourself up for failure. Thus, instead of stressing your own willpower, revert to strategic procrastination, the result of which will lead to stronger will power.

A little goes a long way;
If you try to revamp your diet, workout plan, sleep schedule, supplements, lifestyle, etc. in one day, you'll most likely fail. Ask an addict about going cold turkey, its just about impossible. Take things in increments. This way you won't feel as drained or have to 'use up' all your willpower. If anything, by incrementing, you'll be building the increments into your routine, and therefore the increments will no longer feel draining. You will be expending just enough willpower at a time to reach goals.

Build routine;
To put this in perspective. I've noticed when I first put on sunglasses, I can see the change in vision from the lens, but after prolonged use, my mind perceives this vision as standard, and only when do I take off the sunglasses do I realize that anything was different. The same can be said for routine. Once established, the mind will no longer be consciously aware of the action. See any musician that has spent years hammering their craft. Any athlete that worked out in an empty gym for hours, then practiced. Any businessman that hasn't slept in days trying to close a deal. To an outsider, those tasks seem insane, but to those where these actions are commonplace, the mind takes over. Routine is our savor. Notice how your body reacts to new daily action, and how quickly that action will be integrated into your life.

Willpower goes beyond motivation. Motivation can only light the spark, but willpower keeps us moving everyday, regardless of our current physical and emotional state. Harness this power, apply it to things you want, and become unstoppable.

korn_fed
01-02-12, 4:51 pm
No problem.

You're right, it has been a while since anything was posted in here. So let's start it up and discuss something relevant to weightlifting.

We've all heard the query, 'Which character trait of yours do you think is strongest and why?' or some variation of that question. Most typical answers are loyalty, intelligence, energy, hard work, etc. But how many times do you hear the answer, 'well my greatest strength is my willpower'. I'm guessing its probably a low margin.

Now, willpower is one of those terms that is loosely thrown around and really doesn't have any concrete meaning. For sake of argument, let's define it as prolonged perseverance. It is easy to have willpower when we contemplate things in life that we want (power, wealth, health, happiness, etc.) and, furthermore, the means to get them. But what about putting that contemplation into action every day? Sure its easy for us to set a workout/diet plan, but what about that time when you're drained and all you can think about is your favorite food. How strong is your willpower then? If you're human, then its most likely weak. So we need to figure out how to strengthen this attribute of humanity. I'd like to suggest the following;

Utilize procrastination to your advantage;
Here's a test. Don't think about white gorillas for 5 minutes. What are you thinking about right now? Is it white gorillas? Notice that when you abstain from any temptation that the intensity to indulge in that temptation increases exponentially. Thus, flip this curse into a blessing. While dieting, procrastinate cheat meals (think in just a few days I can eat anything I want). Procrastinate rest periods (Just a few more reps, then I can rest). Do not say, 'I'll never drink beer again' or 'I'll never have pizza again', you'll be setting yourself up for failure. Thus, instead of stressing your own willpower, revert to strategic procrastination, the result of which will lead to stronger will power.

A little goes a long way;
If you try to revamp your diet, workout plan, sleep schedule, supplements, lifestyle, etc. in one day, you'll most likely fail. Ask an addict about going cold turkey, its just about impossible. Take things in increments. This way you won't feel as drained or have to 'use up' all your willpower. If anything, by incrementing, you'll be building the increments into your routine, and therefore the increments will no longer feel draining. You will be expending just enough willpower at a time to reach goals.

Build routine;
To put this in perspective. I've noticed when I first put on sunglasses, I can see the change in vision from the lens, but after prolonged use, my mind perceives this vision as standard, and only when do I take off the sunglasses do I realize that anything was different. The same can be said for routine. Once established, the mind will no longer be consciously aware of the action. See any musician that has spent years hammering their craft. Any athlete that worked out in an empty gym for hours, then practiced. Any businessman that hasn't slept in days trying to close a deal. To an outsider, those tasks seem insane, but to those where these actions are commonplace, the mind takes over. Routine is our savor. Notice how your body reacts to new daily action, and how quickly that action will be integrated into your life.

Willpower goes beyond motivation. Motivation can only light the spark, but willpower keeps us moving everyday, regardless of our current physical and emotional state. Harness this power, apply it to things you want, and become unstoppable.

Great post. I just got home from an intense hellraiser training session at the gym and I wanna go back and tear up the weights all over again after reading this.

NJC_Manhattan
01-10-12, 2:58 pm
Great post. I just got home from an intense hellraiser training session at the gym and I wanna go back and tear up the weights all over again after reading this.

Thanks man