PDA

View Full Version : PB question...

EBO13
04-08-09, 10:19 pm
Natural PB vs. Organic PB....whats the difference? is one better then the other? i think the ingredients are Natural-Peanuts, Salt...Organic-Roasted peanuts...something like that...what do yall think?

04-09-09, 12:32 am
Natural PB vs. Organic PB....whats the difference? is one better then the other? i think the ingredients are Natural-Peanuts, Salt...Organic-Roasted peanuts...something like that...what do yall think?

The only difference in my opinion is the name on the jar. One says "organic" and one does not. Natty PB is Natty PB.. (Minus skippy that has sugar and palm oil in it). What brands are you looking at purchasing? I eat Smuckers and recently hooked up with a local family owned business that has an excellent product with great pricing. PM me if you want more info. Peace.

Phil

EBO13
04-09-09, 2:56 am
yeah its Smuckers... i buy it at Winndixie... one says Natural and the other says Organic...i got the Natural one... i didnt think there was a difference but im honestly new to the natty pb stuff... this is my first can of it...

BigBlueBear
04-09-09, 3:47 am
I'm going to take a stab at this, but I'm guessing your organic one is grown organically. As to say without pesticides and fertilizers, much as organic fruits / veggies are grown. Natural would just mean they have no added ingredients / preservatives.

04-09-09, 4:29 am
yeah its Smuckers... i buy it at Winndixie... one says Natural and the other says Organic...i got the Natural one... i didnt think there was a difference but im honestly new to the natty pb stuff... this is my first can of it...

I returned your PM and stick with the natty.. Hmmm....thinks of Nat Freed lol anyway.....When in doubt look at the Ingredient list.. If it says anything other than peanuts and salt, steer clear! Organic or not.

Phil

JMC
04-09-09, 7:36 am
I'm going to take a stab at this, but I'm guessing your organic one is grown organically. As to say without pesticides and fertilizers, much as organic fruits / veggies are grown. Natural would just mean they have no added ingredients / preservatives.

I returned your PM and stick with the natty.. Hmmm....thinks of Nat Freed lol anyway.....When in doubt look at the Ingredient list.. If it says anything other than peanuts and salt, steer clear! Organic or not.

Phil

There you go... generally the "Organic" label can be misleading at times... hell so can "Natural". More times than not they are referring to where and how those ingredients are manufactured, not necessarily the "health benefits" you can expect.

Indeed as Phil said, just look at the ingredients list. Peanuts and sometimes salt is all you should see IMO. If I'm not mistaken peanuts are a fairly low maintenance crop...meaning, there's no real reason to stick the "organic" label on there b/c there's not much chemical enhancement needed. I may be off there.

Basically, if the ingredient list is legit, go for what's cheaper...

GJN5002
04-09-09, 11:24 am

I agree with this. It has to do with the conditions the nuts were grown and prcoessed under. Places like that peanut plant in georgia with the salmonella could very well produce an all natural peanut butter that is just peanuts and salt, but the conditions they are produced under are bad. A small organic farm could produce pesticide free, safely handled peanut butter for a slightly higher price. Most times I just go with smuckers all natual or naturally more, but buying organic has its advantages