PDA

View Full Version : Widowmakers Squat

The Sun
04-09-09, 12:27 pm
I went for a widowmaker set today.
widowmaker set is basically taking your estimated RM10 and going for 20 reps.

my 1RM squat is 255, so I took 75% of it which is approximately 185, and went for 20 reps.
16 reps were alright. then the bar slipped back and I had to rack it to setup again. happened again after 3 reps (19 overall) so I re-racked it, and completed the set afterward.

I can tel you - this is a test of masculine.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCxJkccDLo

my head felt like it's going to blow, my back felt like braking to pieces. legs were wobbly.

prowrestler
04-09-09, 12:30 pm
those will kill ya, i did it once useing my 5 rep max and doin 10 reps....that sucked! i remember that day well, it was a year ago nearly.

gotta love squattin

IRBS
04-09-09, 12:37 pm
Knock the first 10-12 reps out faster and take your time on the last 8, take deeper breaths and really focus on your breathing. It will make it more manageable.

Good Squatting.

Sho
04-09-09, 1:06 pm
Nice bro. every day u squat try adding 5lbs for the 20 rep set, in no time you'll be up to 225 for 20, then the sky's the limit.

The Sun
04-09-09, 3:10 pm
those will kill ya, i did it once useing my 5 rep max and doin 10 reps....that sucked! i remember that day well, it was a year ago nearly.

gotta love squattin
they already, lol. haven't you watched the video? :)

Knock the first 10-12 reps out faster and take your time on the last 8, take deeper breaths and really focus on your breathing. It will make it more manageable.

Good Squatting.
I will try that the next time I go for 20.
thanks.

Nice bro. every day u squat try adding 5lbs for the 20 rep set, in no time you'll be up to 225 for 20, then the sky's the limit.
thanks.
I'm not doing a 20 rep routine, just giving it a go to test my mentality.
I might go with 195 the next time I'll squat a widowmaker.

triplewkurupt
04-09-09, 3:17 pm
I've gone through the six week Super Squat program by doing 20 rep breathing squats with weight you would normally do 10 reps with and increasing the weight 5 pounds each workout.

This was a great program and I put on about 18 pounds in 6 weeks. It's brutal, but definitely worth it. The only issue I had was that my arms would start to get very heavy as I gripped the bar for the 20 reps. Anyone else have this issue?

Good luck brother and keep it up.

The Sun
04-09-09, 3:28 pm
Yeah, my arms were also getting numb after the 10th rep if I recall correctly.
sucked it up though.

Crash
04-09-09, 5:03 pm
Yeah, my arms were also getting numb after the 10th rep if I recall correctly.
sucked it up though.

...Change the grip to a hug style grip. This is where you actually wrap your arms around the bar, and (if they are long enough) grip the plates. This bar will sit a little lower on your back, but you will definately find the "groove", and your Bi's and Forearms will keep it locked into place. It's almost like putting your arm around a friend on each side of you...

...Strength and Honor...

mritter3
04-09-09, 9:29 pm
i love the widowmaker, probally one of the best/worst feelings in the world....best because whoooaa i finished it, and worst cause you feel like your going to die afterwards

shizz702
04-09-09, 9:48 pm
Fuck yea, great job Sun! That set there shows just how strong your drive, determination, and mental strength really is! Much respect bro, you killed it there!

The Sun
04-10-09, 3:38 am
i love the widowmaker, probally one of the best/worst feelings in the world....best because whoooaa i finished it, and worst cause you feel like your going to die afterwards
the feeling you're going to faint is truly a near death experience.

Fuck yea, great job Sun! That set there shows just how strong your drive, determination, and mental strength really is! Much respect bro, you killed it there!
thanks shizz!
it definitely killed ME there.

wedge
04-10-09, 11:31 am
Good job Sun. Way to push through bro.

Fury317
04-10-09, 11:51 am
Great squatting man. Looks killer. Tell that guy to your right to drop the weight and actually get deep lol

The Sun
04-10-09, 12:15 pm
Good job Sun. Way to push through bro.
thanks bro!

Great squatting man. Looks killer. Tell that guy to your right to drop the weight and actually get deep lol
haha that asshole on the smith told me I'll hurt my knees :)

guys lets make this an official widowmakers thread,
every person who posted a reply here should take 75% of his RM1 squat and go for 20!
make sure to get a video!

mahscles
04-10-09, 12:35 pm
nice squatting brother. bet your legs were killing the next day. sitting on the crapper was probably not an enjoyable experience.

Nick101
04-10-09, 3:11 pm
very nice man, just try not to lock out your knees at the top, when u got heavier weight on there its gonna fuck your knees up

sanga
04-10-09, 3:52 pm
A true widowmaker to me is DC style taking that weight and squatting to complete failure where you are not able to come back up again and bomb out at the bottom on the pins or at the very least when you really struggle for the last rep and know 100% that you wouldn`t get another, its tough mentally but if you do it enough your legs grow pretty quickly but you are always sore, lol

Stick with it mate.

wedge
04-10-09, 6:10 pm
Thought you might like this Sun.

Here's the results of a nice, short leg workout.

Squats:
Bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 10-New PR
225 x 20-New PR

Hammy Curls:
90 x 10
110 x 10
140 x 5
140 x 8

Calves (leg press):
200 x 40
300 x 30
400 x 25

shizz702
04-11-09, 12:39 am

Squats:
Bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 10-New PR
225 x 20-New PR

Hammy Curls:
90 x 10
110 x 10
140 x 5
140 x 8

Calves (leg press):
200 x 40
300 x 30
400 x 25

Now that's what I call a fucking leg day! Short, sweet, and brutal!

Psycho77
04-11-09, 2:34 am
Ahhhhhh. I remember Widowmaker Squats...........nosebleeds lol.

The Sun
04-11-09, 6:03 am
nice squatting brother. bet your legs were killing the next day. sitting on the crapper was probably not an enjoyable experience.
haha, legs? I don't know what do you mean... oh! those things down there, yeah, can't use them.

very nice man, just try not to lock out your knees at the top, when u got heavier weight on there its gonna fuck your knees up
I don't think so, I've seen people squat heavy weights and lock them.

A true widowmaker to me is DC style taking that weight and squatting to complete failure where you are not able to come back up again and bomb out at the bottom on the pins or at the very least when you really struggle for the last rep and know 100% that you wouldn`t get another, its tough mentally but if you do it enough your legs grow pretty quickly but you are always sore, lol

Stick with it mate.
sounds horrible, lol.
please make sure to shoot a vid of those :)

Squats:
Bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 10-New PR
225 x 20-New PR

nice way to tear yourself a new part of wheelz. did you get a vid?

Ahhhhhh. I remember Widowmaker Squats...........nosebleeds lol.

haha psycho, I'm not surprised!