PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Law Enforcement bubba's

Jonisocool
04-09-09, 1:32 pm
My buddy works at a Renton PD, about 15 minutes outside seattle. he works 3 -12 hour shifts on, and then gets 3 off. So he knows his schedule for the whole year basically. He does MMA on the 3 days off, so he didnt really answer my questions.

What other kinds of scheduling do you guys have? I'm sure that it'd vary from PD to PD.

Has incorporating the gym into your schedule flowed pretty smoothly? I figured you'd have 3-4 hours to train between trying to get 8 hours of sleep. Feels like even less if you want to wake up early to get ready for work AND get 8 hours of sleep, or PWO nutrition, cook breakfast and all that good trash.

How often do you get breaks to eat, or do you just pack it and eat as you work? Preparing food in advanced isnt a problem for me, but do you get a chance to stop by your house to grab/cook a meal, or do you just pack for the day?

sportsfan4110
04-09-09, 1:52 pm
I know what ya mean bro... i work at a pd but im not a cop yet as im not old enough to be in the academy (goin to school and getting my Associate in Criminal Justice now and working part time at pd). In the summers i get to work full time and i get to ride out with some of the officers and they work 4 10hour shifts(3p-1a is the time i rode out). When i would ride out with them id wake up and get two solid meals in and then go work out, shower, then ride out. Id always have a cooler with all my meals in it which was about 3-4 meals. There were a few occasions where i couldnt exactly eat on time but i ate a soon as i could as you never know about what type and how long the call you might be on. It might take a little while to adjust and make preparations but youll soon figure it all out, gotta do whatch gotta do. Good luck!!!!

BigBlueBear
04-09-09, 3:24 pm
I'm a dispatcher only, but I've been around the guys long enough to know how it works. Now with I can't speak for other districts, but in ours you are allotted 1 hr of PT during your shift I believe 2 or 3 times a week. Being as we're night shift, most elect to take this hour in the last hour of their shift (morning shift marks on at 6, night marks off at 630 so there's coverage).

As per meals... pack it and go. If you search through the diet section, a lot of the boys in black / blue talk about how they get through a shift if I recall correctly. But to give you an overview... get a cooler, pack it, place it in the floorboard on the passenger side (baring you're not k9 so you can transport in the backseat).

Maiden69
04-09-09, 4:14 pm
Did 3 yrs in Puerto Rico before re-joining the Army and we did 8hrs shifts. 12am-8am, 8am-4pm, and 4pm-12am. But most of the time, some shit happened at the end of the shift and you end up about 2-3 more hours taking care off. Ah, no over time in PR, no money, so we only get comp time. The good thing about where I worked was that a lot of people know you, and the owner of the gym I attended was a retired Police officer and he let us train free, plus some of us had the keys to the gym and we could go and work out at any time. I would say try to find a 24hr gym, or at least one that opens early and closes late, it is very hard to hit the gym at any break, since we worked 8 hrs straight with no lunch hour, just small breaks to get some stuff in. During that time I eat anything, so I had no problem with meals, but it is very easy to pack some stuff and leave it at the station or have a small cooler on the trunk of the patrol car.