PDA

View Full Version : Bad back and squats/deadlifts

Nuno
04-10-09, 8:40 pm
I had a prior injury (buldging disk) in my lower back.

Throwing weight around has not interferred with my back pain and it has actually helped.

But it seems squats and deadlifts (esssentials) seem to define my weaknesss from the past injury.

Any advise on how to get to the point where my core is strong enough to deal with the stress of squats/deadlifts.

Anyone with the same sort of problem or had to deal and overcome.

Let me know.

Cheers.

sodapop
04-10-09, 9:42 pm
My lower back seems to be too weak compared to my legs, so it usually hurts after squats and sometimes deadlifts, but it's hard to say what you can do since your problem is injury-related.

BeastCook
04-10-09, 9:58 pm

Throwing weight around has not interferred with my back pain and it has actually helped.

But it seems squats and deadlifts (esssentials) seem to define my weaknesss from the past injury.

Any advise on how to get to the point where my core is strong enough to deal with the stress of squats/deadlifts.

Let me know.

Cheers.

for the deadlifts dont go as heavy and use better form.....are you sure you got your form down for deadlifts? if your shins arnt bruised then check your form....

for squats, use a smith machine see if back squats work without pain or try front squats, a long time ago i injured my back as well and i started front squats for legs and people call me branch warren.....well not really but i hope you get the point

Mattman33
04-11-09, 7:13 am

Let me know.

Cheers.

the first thing i would look into is Animal Flex. Might want to pop this question into the "Ask BigAnt" thread over in the "Ask the Pro's" section as well....

I have two herniated discs, and two buldging discs. For me it was a flexibility issue that caused it, and once I figured that out i was golden. Lots of stretching, massages, and form work has really helped me increase both my squat and deadlift. Again that is only me and this is just my two cents.

best best would be to go to the doctor and talk to him about it, and the possibility of referring you for physical therapy. that would be a great start for rehab.

Nuno
04-14-09, 8:50 am
Went with the suggestion of using the Smith Machine & belt.

Squats went well with no pain in the back.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Cheers.

mritter3
04-14-09, 9:17 am
def. wear a belt, stay tight throughout the movement, and start off slow and work your way up the weights, don't rush it your back is your lifeline.

Preservation
04-14-09, 3:25 pm
A lot of people neglact there lowe back they expect it to grow with there back this isn't always true, try basic back extensions with or without a weight if your back is the weak point then work at it but don't over do back excerises to injury your back your just looking for trouble.

IRBS
04-14-09, 4:11 pm
I have Degenerative Disk Disease with a buldging disk at L3-L4 and the disk at L5-S1 is gone...I squat and pull heavy every week...twice a week. Dont let your injury define you.

Things to focus on:

Strong Hips
Strong Spinal Erectors
Strong Abs (this is key)
Strong Glutes and Hamstrings
Strong Back

If you neglect any of these you will pay. Squat a lot, deadlift a lot. It will help. If someone tells you not too, I would bet they dont have a back problem and have no freaking clue what they are talking about...book smarts can only get you so far. The only way to do the things you want to do is to get as strong as possible. The stronger the supporting muscles in your back, the less problems you will have.

I've had this problem for close to 10 years now. When it flairs up, I back off a bit and get the inflamation out. As soon as I can I am back in the gym.

Getting your back and erector muscles and abs as strong as possible is the only thing that will help (and a good Chiropractor). If you have any questions, PM me.

Nuno
04-15-09, 1:34 pm
Thanks IRBS

victore
04-15-09, 5:58 pm
IRBS is totally right on in my mind. I also have bulging discs in L4/5, broken coccyx and tears in the cartilege around the coccyx. Here is what I do..
Always a belt.
Alternate to front squats to change stress.
Do bench squats to keep my form on target-never sloppy.
Do more reps with slightly lighter weight still get big fatigue.
Do lots of single leg body weight squats-these suckers kill me and give a good workout.
Tons of core exercises makes for stability in the back.
Tons of stretcing and water.
*ice 2x daily while surfing the forvm*
and here is a new one for me-up your trace mineral intake. Trace minerals are used by the spine for health. You back will "release" easier with good trace mineral balance in your body. Lifting takes up a lot of trace mineral anyhow. Due to soil nutrient depletion alot of the foods we eat do not have nearly the amount of trace minerals that they use to
Arnica gels are great for flare-ups.
Sleep with a lumbar support so that your muscle can relax while you sleep.

Deffinately do not let this stop you. It was slow going for me at first too, but I've been gaining everyweek...good luck