PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional labels

UzbeKodiak
04-11-09, 9:54 am
Does the nutritional information label on a food packaging refer to it cooked or uncooked? So ive been measuring my calories very specifically in order to have a worked plan. I know cooked food is usually less calorically dense due to absorption of moisture. And there's a pretty big difference in downing 50g of cooked pasta and 50g of uncooked pasta.

rev8ball
04-11-09, 11:27 am
The label will specify it, usually next to the serving size.

UzbeKodiak
04-11-09, 11:50 am
Hmm actually it doesnt. for none of my foods anyways....

bigffmike
04-11-09, 11:55 am
I looked at my pasta and in the serving size it states dry (not cooked). I have a bunch of diff kinds, and they all state dry. Rice is uncooked.
I would think y could do a internet search of that product and maybe find out.

AFTazz06
04-11-09, 12:51 pm
Does the nutritional information label on a food packaging refer to it cooked or uncooked? So ive been measuring my calories very specifically in order to have a worked plan. I know cooked food is usually less calorically dense due to absorption of moisture. And there's a pretty big difference in downing 50g of cooked pasta and 50g of uncooked pasta.

I'm pretty sure the nutritional info on foods refers to the uncooked forms, because thats how they are selling them. Just as frozen (already cooked foods) also have nutrional info stating however that its already cooked. You should always measure pasta uncooked because that way you get the right portion, measuring it cooked will mean you'll actually eat more than you should because anything cooked in water will grow and become heavier. Rice, pasta, oatmeal, grits, all fall into this category. Meats however are the opposite, again you should measure uncooked because once cooked they shrink and you'll eat less than neccessary.

sanga
04-11-09, 2:18 pm
Rice and pasta doubles in weight roughly when cooked, a lot of people think they are eating 100g of rice when in fact the pack is refering to dry weight and they are in fact only eating 50g.

Offerstoff
04-11-09, 10:23 pm
If you really want to be certain:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

a godsend for me on figuring out what exactly I am consuming. Many foods are universal (i.e. you don't need to look for the specific brand, just the general category), plus they break down the nutitional data really deep if for some reason you find an interest into the IU and mg of vitamins and minerals x.x;

C.Coronato
04-13-09, 2:10 pm
Everything is usually read as uncooked. Reason being is that the label does not know what your putting into it as it cooks. Sometimes it will say serving size in the directions and that would be cooked.