PDA

View Full Version : Mass/Size and Strength Building Routine

D-NUTZ
04-11-09, 10:27 am
Hey Guys, Ive searched but my search function must be screwed up because it always says there is no available results....no matter what i search it does that. But anyways i was hoping some of you could help me.

Im 16, 6 ft 1 230 pounds and i play football, I play all the OL and DL positions. Im looking for a good routine/program that will help me get bigger and stronger. Every workout im going to add in Plyos for a warm up and some stretching at the end of the workout. From Now (April) to the end of may im working on just getting bigger faster stronger and more in shape and in June and July im working on Explosivness.

Any help here would be deeply appreciated.

I forgot to add that I have been lifting seriously for about a year or so. My max bench is 225, Squat is 350, Clean is 210, Push Press is 195, and Hex Bar DL is 440.

shizz702
04-11-09, 10:53 am
This would be a good routine for you: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5#The_Bill_Starr_Power_Routine

deadnightwarrior
04-11-09, 2:01 pm
here's what you need ! http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html

dyskee
04-11-09, 2:37 pm
i'd say go with 5X5 and add complexes after each seassion

D-NUTZ
04-11-09, 6:04 pm
thanks guys, all look great, what do you mean my complexes??

dyskee
04-12-09, 7:55 pm
barbell complexes like the bear, haven't u heard of it??

here educate ur self bro , this is solid gold.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/rebuild_yourself_with_complexes&cr=

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/complexes_for_fat_loss&cr=

mritter3
04-12-09, 8:14 pm
5x5 routine would be great for you, eat right and train hard, you will see some great results.

Ir0nClad
04-12-09, 10:59 pm
This would be a good routine for you: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5#The_Bill_Starr_Power_Routine

exactly

D-NUTZ
04-13-09, 8:47 pm
How is this??

Day 1-
Squats 5x5
Military Press5x5
Power Clean5x5
Shrugs 10,8,6

Day 2-
Bench5x5
Weighted Pullups 5x5
DB Bench 12, 10, 8
BB Rows 5x5

Day 3-
Front Squat 5x5
Snatch 5x5
Hypers 3x10
DB Shoulder Press 12, 10 8
Power Shrugs 5x5

D-NUTZ
04-13-09, 9:01 pm
I changed Cleans and Snatch to sets of 3.

Squats 5x5
Military Press5x5
Power Clean5x3
Shrugs 10,8,6

Day 2-
Bench5x5
Weighted Pullups 5x5
DB Bench 12, 10, 8
BB Rows 5x5

Day 3-
Front Squat 5x5
Snatch 5x3
Hypers 3x10
DB Shoulder Press 12, 10 8
Power Shrugs 5x5

Should i throw in some deads on day 1??

Big Wides
04-14-09, 6:22 am
What type of plyos are you going to be doing? As a man in the trenches you are going to want to focus a lot on the olympic lifts, squats, deads (with a straight bar), box squats (to help with simulating rolling of the hips coming out of your stance) and upper chest/shouler strength to get the other guy off you. Hip, back flexability are crucial as well. What is your school's lifting program like that you do for the team? And how is your diet?

D-NUTZ
04-14-09, 10:38 am
Well i revised my program a little bit through some suggestions.

Warm Up- Dynamic Warmup
Cool Down- Stretching

Day 1
Squats 5x5
Power Clean 5x3
Military Press 5x5
Shrugs 10, 8. 6

Day 2
Upper Body Plyos

Day 3
Box Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Pullups 5x5
DB Bench 12, 10, 8
Barbell Rows 5x5

Day 4
Lower Body Plyos

Day 5
Front Squats 5x5
Deads 5x5 or 3x3 (Any help on this?)
Hypers 3x3
DB Shoulder Press 12, 10, 8
Power Shrugs 5x5

Big Wide, the team program is that Bigger Faster Stronger program, its a ok program but i dont get much gain from it personally. I can't lift after school with the team due to baseball practice. My diet isnt really anything set, i lay off the junk and eat high quality food with protein, carbs, and calories. Ex: Chicken Breasts, eggs, varieties of fruit and veggies, milk, and lots of water. I havent drank Soda in about 5 years now.

D-NUTZ
04-14-09, 10:56 am
^^^ Hypers should be 3x10 not 3x3

Legacy
04-17-09, 10:35 am
Maybe I can help ya out man, im a CSCS and have worked in D1 football. First of all man if your trying to do this to help you on the football field you should be working on a 4 day split. I am guessing that since your playing football your running everyday and going intense at practice. So you want to hit lower body and upper body twice a week. You might even want to hit lower body just once a week. If you are in season you should be going at a high intensity for a short duration, and if you are off season you should be training at a lower intensity for longer durations. Since your only 16 you should be doing a lot of compound olympic type lifting since it will release the most hormones. For legs stick to something simple like doing an extension, leg curl (slow negative, helps protect against hamstring tears), and a press (Squat). For upper body incorporate a lot of power moves, such as power cleans, snatches, push presses, and close grip benches. Unless you want to do bodybuiling, for football you really need to focus on a lot of sport specific things and things that will help you on the field. Bodybuilding style lifting would be more beneficial for you in the Offseason rather than the inseason.

ironshaolin
04-17-09, 11:14 am
Dude, google search for crossfit football. That's all you need. I think the site is like www.crossfitfootball.com or something, but I'm not sure. They have developed a SOLID program over there, with help from NFL pro's, trainers, experts in the field, and basically it will tell you what workout to do every day. On Mon/tues/thurs/fri there is a strength workout, and on mon/tues/thurs/fri/sat there is a metabolic conditioning part. The whole goal of the program is to make athletes as strong as possible, as explosive as possible, and as fast as possible. What makes it even easier, is you don't have to think , you just have to go to the website and it will tell you what your workout is, how many sets/reps/ etc.