PDA

View Full Version : Best Lifting Belt?

Fricano
04-12-09, 1:41 am
Inzer or Shiek? Which one is better?

SQUAT or DIE!
04-12-09, 1:44 am
i use a 10mm inzer.. best belt ive used..... 2 prong works is where its at.

eric downey
04-12-09, 2:28 am
just get one with a life time waranty. inzer titan there alll the same. i use two. a bench belt and a squat dead belt

bigffmike
04-12-09, 10:29 am
I use an ATP Pro Wrist Straps belt. It's Lether and has held up great over the years. not sure of the waranty

Young&Hungry
04-12-09, 1:23 pm
Inzer, Schiek doesn't even come close.

Fricano
04-12-09, 1:52 pm
which inzer?
Forever Buckle Belt 13MM
Forever Buckle Belt 10MM
Forever Bodybuilding Tapered Buckle
Power Belt Quality Economy
Im a bodybuilder so i dont need anything that is for powerlifting. What is the difference any way? Are the powerlifting belts thicker and stronger?

Young&Hungry
04-12-09, 2:29 pm
I'd say the Inzer 10mm should be fine for you. Single prong always, double prong is a pain in the ass. I have a 13mm lever and I love it but like you said, you're a bodybuilder so the 10mm single should be enough. Yes, traditionally powerlifters go for the thicker belts for sturdier support on max effort type lifts.

Fricano
04-12-09, 4:39 pm
is the double prong that difficult?
How is the tapered bodybuilding belt different than the others?

Young&Hungry
04-12-09, 4:58 pm
Yes, if you get a double prong you will regret it. It doesn't serve any purpose really and it doesn't add any extra stability. The tapered bodybuilding belt thins out around the waist and hips and overall offers less support. Just get the Forever Single Prong 10mm belt, you'll love it.

Fricano
04-12-09, 5:28 pm
thanks alot for the help

ronnie
08-14-09, 9:03 pm
anyone use a weight belt while working out?

im consideing purchasing a weight belt but i dont know much about them. im squatting, deadlifting and doing standing military presses every week.

what are the pros and cons of wearing one? is there any brand you guys prefer? what do i look for in the fit of a belt? any help would be great, thanks alot.

strivin for more
08-14-09, 9:21 pm
it usually helps me just avoid lower back injuries. if you work out at home id definitely recommend one, and if your gym doesnt already have one. the belts we have are valeo brand, 4inches and the thinner. my school also use that brand belts. they seem to get the job done well.

Muscleguy93
08-14-09, 9:35 pm
i was also wondering if I should get a belt for deads and squats.

mritter3
08-14-09, 9:36 pm
i only use a belt for the heavy deads. squats, and standing mil press, other than that i rely on my abs....when it comes to a belt, dont be afraid to spend a little its worth it in the long run, you can buy a cheap belt for like 15 bucks, but thats what it is cheap, i like cardillo and shiek, but there are a ton of goods ones out there.

BubbyLight
08-14-09, 9:43 pm
i only use a belt for the heavy deads. squats, and standing mil press, other than that i rely on my abs....when it comes to a belt, dont be afraid to spend a little its worth it in the long run, you can buy a cheap belt for like 15 bucks, but thats what it is cheap, i like cardillo and shiek, but there are a ton of goods ones out there.

got that right

sunny_max
08-14-09, 9:43 pm
i dont use belts......just gradually build up strength and u shld be fine......until ur like lifting really heavy or if u have had back injuries in the past......keeping the form right and picking up weight u can handle...i dnt think one needs it otherwise....as mrritter said ppl use em in heavy deads, squats and standing military...but i think its more of a personal choice than a necessity.....ppl in strongmen competiotion use it when they r lifting like 1000lb haha but thats a different story...i can only dream of that.....

theharjmann
08-15-09, 7:25 am
I never used a belt before.

I recently had an MRI scan and found out that ive worn the lower disc in my spine.

I now use a belt when i go above:

A) 80kg in standing presses
B) 180kg in deadlifts
C) 100kg in squats

MrMonday
08-15-09, 8:17 am
I have been meaning to get one lol

I would advocate that most people get up to the basic bodyweight bench, 1.5xbodyweight squat, and 2xbw dead beginner numbers and then start using a good belt when going heavy on any rowing or leg exercises.

The lower back just isn't designed to handle that kind of stress, and to be honest I have probably waited too long to get one as I do encounter some dull back pain almost every day, and I reached my own qualifications for getting one a long time ago.

Fury317
08-15-09, 9:33 am
If you dont have a lower back injury dont wear a belt. You will see greater lower back/abdominal strength, and your body will learn to do the exercise the way its naturally meant to be performed.

Obviously if youre going for a heavy single,fucking put the belt on, but all a belt really does is increase thoracic cavity pressure, it honestly does NOTHING for the muscles. This is becuase the muscles in the abdomen run verticle.

Just make sure form is fine, adn you wont fuck up your back. I hit anywhere from 365-405 for 8 on squats and deads without a belt every week.

Fury317
08-15-09, 9:34 am

I recently had an MRI scan and found out that ive worn the lower disc in my spine.

B) 180kg in deadlifts
C) 100kg in squats

Im just curious theharjmann, did the doc say anything about the possible cause of the injury? Becuase if you were keeping good tight form while training, your spine should have actually been strengthened. Do you have a family history of joint problems? Again, just curious.

ronnie
08-15-09, 12:00 pm

B) 180kg in deadlifts
C) 100kg in squats

I would advocate that most people get up to the basic bodyweight bench, 1.5xbodyweight squat, and 2xbw dead beginner numbers and then start using a good belt when going heavy on any rowing or leg exercises.

The lower back just isn't designed to handle that kind of stress, and to be honest I have probably waited too long to get one as I do encounter some dull back pain almost every day, and I reached my own qualifications for getting one a long time ago.

If you dont have a lower back injury dont wear a belt. You will see greater lower back/abdominal strength, and your body will learn to do the exercise the way its naturally meant to be performed.

Obviously if youre going for a heavy single,fucking put the belt on, but all a belt really does is increase thoracic cavity pressure, it honestly does NOTHING for the muscles. This is becuase the muscles in the abdomen run verticle.

Just make sure form is fine, adn you wont fuck up your back. I hit anywhere from 365-405 for 8 on squats and deads without a belt every week.

from what you guys have said so far im thinkin ill get a belt and only use it during my heavies set, seems to be the best idea. regardless, keep the info comming guys, thanks alot.

LegendKillerJosh
08-15-09, 12:14 pm
My back got really strong from when I first started lifting and did my squats and deadlifts. Then, 2 years ago I had an operation and my back was not the same. After squats and deadlifts I would be in tears driving home because I had the most painful lower back pumps/shooting pain, so much that I avoided these exercises. Then I got the Inzer PR belt with the rachet clamp on the front to tighten it to the perfect amount, and now I do my deads and squats pain free, the belt does an excellent job of allowing me to force my abs out and put the pressure on my legs and hips, and my back is as strong as ever.

Pistola
08-15-09, 3:43 pm
As long as you have good form and can handle what your moving i dont think you need a belt (i could be wrong) Just build up your abs and lower back. I think having core strength is more important than wearing a belt but to each its own.

theharjmann
08-15-09, 5:34 pm
Im just curious theharjmann, did the doc say anything about the possible cause of the injury? Becuase if you were keeping good tight form while training, your spine should have actually been strengthened. Do you have a family history of joint problems? Again, just curious.

doc said its due to heavy lifting

ive been lifting very heavy (for my size) constantly for the past 2.5 years without a belt....that probably had something to do with it LOL

but yeah...i fucking love deadlifting....i got up to 495lb deadlift with chalk only (no belt, no straps) at a weight of 196lbs, aged 20.....didnt know i was fucking myself up in the process though.....i still wouldnt change a damn thing!

Fury317
08-15-09, 7:49 pm
doc said its due to heavy lifting

Typical. Not taking anything away from medical doctors, but they need to speak with physical therapists and such before saying spine injuries are from heavy lifitng. Ya feel me?

I only say thing because I have degeneration in my middle back and one doc said it from heavy training. Many other docs/chiros/massage therapists/ physical therapists have said its hereditary and lifting has done nothing but help what would have happened anyways.

J Wong
08-15-09, 8:08 pm
I use a belt for heavy squats, deads, and overhead presses.

Big3
08-15-09, 8:10 pm
i use one for split jerks, jerks, and snatches. I use one when I'm working squats in the 1~3 range

Dedicated
08-16-09, 12:59 pm

Right on bro. Not wearing a belt for the sake of being "tough" or "improving core strength" is stupid. Get your ego in check and do some crunches.

MrMonday
08-16-09, 2:47 pm
Right on bro. Not wearing a belt for the sake of being "tough" or "improving core strength" is stupid. Get your ego in check and do some crunches.

Agree 100%

theharjmann
08-16-09, 5:02 pm
Typical. Not taking anything away from medical doctors, but they need to speak with physical therapists and such before saying spine injuries are from heavy lifitng. Ya feel me?

I only say thing because I have degeneration in my middle back and one doc said it from heavy training. Many other docs/chiros/massage therapists/ physical therapists have said its hereditary and lifting has done nothing but help what would have happened anyways.

well i think the heavy lifting has something to do with it

but its moreso posture and other structural difficulties that, combined with heavy ass weights, cause problems

andrewT
08-16-09, 6:18 pm
Is it true that belts keep your waist small by minimizing the use of your obliques and abs on excercises like squats and deads?

My dad has an old Everlast belt that I used to wear. The leather was so hard that it dug into me when I bent over and was very uncomfortable. Those cardillo ones are real real nice but expensive!

I haven't worn a belt for a longgg time now. I don't want to start, but in a way I have no clue who to believe on this subject!

RighteousDude
08-16-09, 6:32 pm
If haven't worn one in a long time and your gut feeling is not to wear one, then don't. Why complicate matters. It's your call.

Peace.

Genetix
08-16-09, 6:34 pm
Is it true that belts keep your waist small by minimizing the use of your obliques and abs on excercises like squats and deads?

My dad has an old Everlast belt that I used to wear. The leather was so hard that it dug into me when I bent over and was very uncomfortable. Those cardillo ones are real real nice but expensive!

I haven't worn a belt for a longgg time now. I don't want to start, but in a way I have no clue who to believe on this subject!

Cardillo has a few different models to choose from and they can get expensive compared to others. I have had the same Cardillo Belt for 14 years now and wear it every workout. My theory is this: I lift more with my belt on, I have tried without it before for long periods of time but mentaly it provides me support just as much if not more than it does physically. I have kept my waist to a measurement of around 30" and have not had any abdominal or lower back issues due to a belt.
Some will say that your abdominals are not strengthened by utilizing a belt for every set and I will agree. That is why I say, train abs and lower back more frequently. If I can lift extra weight when I have a belt on, why sacrifice that for abdominal stimulation. Say an overhead press, I would rather press 315lbs with a belt than 275lbs without one because I am doing that exercise for my shoulders not my abs.
When selecting whatever belt you choose make sure you allow for some growth as well as decrease in waist size as the body will flucuate from time to time. You should have at least 2 notches wither way for this.
In closing I say wear a blet, get a good one it's worth the investment and take the time to train abs.

Matt Cena

Fury317
08-17-09, 10:39 am
Cardillo has a few different models to choose from and they can get expensive compared to others. I have had the same Cardillo Belt for 14 years now and wear it every workout. My theory is this: I lift more with my belt on, I have tried without it before for long periods of time but mentaly it provides me support just as much if not more than it does physically. I have kept my waist to a measurement of around 30" and have not had any abdominal or lower back issues due to a belt.
Some will say that your abdominals are not strengthened by utilizing a belt for every set and I will agree. That is why I say, train abs and lower back more frequently. If I can lift extra weight when I have a belt on, why sacrifice that for abdominal stimulation. Say an overhead press, I would rather press 315lbs with a belt than 275lbs without one because I am doing that exercise for my shoulders not my abs.
When selecting whatever belt you choose make sure you allow for some growth as well as decrease in waist size as the body will flucuate from time to time. You should have at least 2 notches wither way for this.
In closing I say wear a blet, get a good one it's worth the investment and take the time to train abs.

Matt Cena

If you get a belt listen to Genetix and get a Cardillo. Nothing like them. I dont have one, but Ive put one on and handled one. Excellent quality, and looks good too.

If I ever get one, I think Id have to take out a loan though haha. I was looking at a classic black with embrodiery and it ended up being around 200 bucks. I guess its worth the investment though if they last 14 yrs.

GJN5002
08-17-09, 6:29 pm

I still rock the old school everlast belt! It was my cousins, then my dads and now mine. I dont use a belt much so it works, plus you can tell a lot of love has been put into it when you see how beat up it is.

andrewT
08-17-09, 6:35 pm
If haven't worn one in a long time and your gut feeling is not to wear one, then don't. Why complicate matters. It's your call.

Peace.

My gut is not to not wear one.

I just don't know if wearing it is good or bad. I think I am going to wear one for a bit and then again no belt for a while. Kind of cycle it lol

fenix237
08-18-09, 3:50 pm
i already have a Shiek that i bought like 10 years ago- it has one way velcro to really snug down...are those any good? don't use it much as i've really gotten away from using a lifting belt- i thought i would go without and see how it goes...so far no issues/problems over the last few years

btw- i was on Inzer's web- what's to choose between a lever belt and a buckle belt? $65 for a quality belt seems reasonable to me

JUGGERNAUT
08-18-09, 3:56 pm
I happen to like my Cardillo lever belt. I doubt I will ever have to replace it.

LegendKillerJosh
08-19-09, 11:24 am

It's like when people don't use straps to strengthen their forearms lol. Do forearms on a seperate day, don't compromise a back workout because of your grip.

andrewT
08-19-09, 11:49 am
It's like when people don't use straps to strengthen their forearms lol. Do forearms on a seperate day, don't compromise a back workout because of your grip.

I dunno

I kind of like getting my forearms strengthened by not using straps, though it would be nice for those last sets. My arms are too small compared to my back anyways. Plus BB.com never throws in free straps on my orders even when I ask!

JUGGERNAUT
08-19-09, 12:11 pm

That is very different. Not wearing a belt on the heaviest sets can be dangerous, as where not having a good back workout blaming your grip; just means you have a weak grip.

HOUSE uses straps a lot, he does not have a weak grip so that is not the reason for my post.

This was: "It's like when people don't use straps to strengthen their forearms lol."

That is exactly why I don't use straps.

GJN5002
08-19-09, 12:16 pm

how is using straps compromising your back workout? its enhancing it because you can use more weight without your grip giving out.

Fury317
08-19-09, 12:28 pm
how is using straps compromising your back workout? its enhancing it because you can use more weight without your grip giving out.

He's saying youll compromise your back workout if you dont use straps, because you wont be able to row or dead the heaviest weight possible. Might have been a mis-read.

JUGGERNAUT
08-19-09, 12:37 pm
Not mis-read. If you can't row or dead the heaviest weight possible, you need to work on your grip by not using straps.

theharjmann
08-19-09, 12:41 pm
Not mis-read. If you can't row or dead the heaviest weight possible, you need to work on your grip by not using straps.

i think it depends on the exercise

i can deadlift any weight (i can handle) with chalk only, but need straps for rowing movements and shrugs

this is because for deads i can lock my grip into one position, and my wrist joint generally doesnt move during the deadlift, so i can keep a strong grip

for rows however, as soon as i go heavier than 2 plates per side i always need straps....i feel it in my forearms too much otherwise.

for shrugs, my wrist joint doesnt really move, but due to the jolting effect of a heavy bar, my grip cant hold out 4 or 5 plates per side with no straps.....no fuckin way! lol

JUGGERNAUT
08-19-09, 1:01 pm
I'm going to stick to my guns here and sorry for de-railing a thread based on "best belt."

If you can't hold 4-5 plates without straps you need to strengthen your grip by not using straps. It can be done.

I only say this because I learned the effectiveness of just gripping for better grip strength very early in life running a jack hammer....all day long with only gloves and no knurling on the handles. I have never trained my forearms separately and can do 7 pie rack shrugs, 6 pie rack deads and rows with 405 without straps.

Go strapless.

fenix237
08-19-09, 1:04 pm
i like to go without straps as long as possible-up until i feel the bar could break free- then i add a plate and go for broke for a couple more sets

theharjmann
08-19-09, 1:04 pm
rows with 405 without straps.

Go strapless.

OK then! thats enough proof for me

come to think of if

i was walking through town the other week on my lunch break and there was some work going on on the road

there was this little dude running a jackhammer...no gloves. i remember looking and thinking hes pretty big...but i looked down at his forearms and they were FUCKING HUGE compared to the rest of his body!

one thing though....these guys develop their forarms from CONSTANTLY working them....kinda like cyclists and calves....we only train for an hour a day so i think itll be much harder to build forarms like that unless we have labour jobs on building sites

G Diesel
08-19-09, 1:27 pm
I agree that often we are the tools of our tools. However, I utilize what I need when I need it. Support gear exists for a reason. No doubt.

My advice? Incorporate your support gear as needed over the course of your workout. Use it as necessary, not mindlessly. I use a belt when I need it for heavier sets of back and legs, I use straps on sets when my grip will fail before my target muscle group does. I wear my wrist wraps as a preventative measure because after years and years of heavy pressing, supinating, pronating and the like, sometimes my wrists straight up kill me.

That said, I avoid using my straps or belt until I feel it is absolutely necessary based on my own strength and physiology. Anybody who thinks there isn't merit to simply being able to hold on to big weights with their bare hands is clueless. There are lots of dudes out there who need to get a grip (literally).

It goes back to the whole pad on the bar for the squat deal, where we had 120 lb monsters screaming to the high heavens about the evils of the pussy pad, and then had pics of Arnold and Draper and Platz squatting with the pad. The lesson? Stop making declarative statements.

I train to build muscle and get stronger and will utilize whatever methods I see fit to further that agenda. This isn't about ego or manliness. You wanna see my manhood, just ask. I'd be glad to show ya.

Peace, G

LegendKillerJosh
08-19-09, 1:33 pm
I'm going to stick to my guns here and sorry for de-railing a thread based on "best belt."

If you can't hold 4-5 plates without straps you need to strengthen your grip by not using straps. It can be done.

I only say this because I learned the effectiveness of just gripping for better grip strength very early in life running a jack hammer....all day long with only gloves and no knurling on the handles. I have never trained my forearms separately and can do 7 pie rack shrugs, 6 pie rack deads and rows with 405 without straps.

Go strapless.

I can hold as much weight as I use as well, but no amount of chalk can prevent the bar from sliding from my sweating hands during a 10-12 rep set. I can deadlift my max with no straps but can't row a barbell for a minute straight.

ghost
08-19-09, 1:35 pm

Go strapless.

I have to agree with Juggernaut on this issue.

I had custom straps made for me because i was tearing normal straps apart from the heavy weight...
used to max out without straps at 285 on deads. I always blamed it on missing fingers. Fuck that. beat the piss out of my forearms, and now can pull 455 without straps on deads.

GJN5002
08-19-09, 3:12 pm
I can hold as much weight as I use as well, but no amount of chalk can prevent the bar from sliding from my sweating hands during a 10-12 rep set. I can deadlift my max with no straps but can't row a barbell for a minute straight.

Im with you on this one. I generally keep my reps higher so by the time I hit rep 7 or 8 my hands are giving out but my back is going strong.

andrewT
08-19-09, 10:10 pm
I agree with what both Juggernaut and G have said!

LegendKillerJosh
08-19-09, 11:08 pm
I agree with what both Juggernaut and G have said!

So if your grip does give out when doing a set of bent over rows, you just let your back off the hook or do you put on a pair of straps?

andrewT
08-20-09, 2:15 pm
So if your grip does give out when doing a set of bent over rows, you just let your back off the hook or do you put on a pair of straps?

I do a weight I can grip or sometimes I do the Olympic style. I want a set of straps but am too cheap to buy a pair. I am waiting for BB.com to give me some free ones lol.

I also train my grip, I feel that I should be able to grip the weight I am doing (which is not much). Once I hit a reasonable weight, then I will start to use straps.

Big Wides
08-21-09, 6:04 am
For belts I like my Cardillo lever belt, check them out a little pricy compared to your normal belt but well worth it

Big Wides
08-21-09, 6:17 am

Then you set the bar down, regain composure, regrip the bar and continue rowing. This whole issue of grip strength comes down to the simple fact that in order to get it stronger you need to develop functional strength. Functional strength will kick gym strength's ass any fucking day of the week. The only way that your grip strength will increase is by not using straps at all and gripping the hell out of all your lifts. This includes bench, squat, militray press, deads, barbell curls, ect. Over squeeze the bar on every excersie, and train your forearms to handle the weight, and if a traditional grip doesn't work then use a hook grip.

For a brief moment I used straps right out of high school on shrugs to help with my cleans. I strapped into the shrugs and was able to do a lot of weight but when it came time to clean, I couldn't hold onto the bar. For a while I thought it was a lot of things (and I had no idea what an internet weight training board was, so I went by my own intution you guys are lucky), I noticed that the only thing that changed was the use of straps. Started shrugging without straps and holy shit I was able to hold onto the bar and my grip got stronger. Bottom line and moral of the story, train for functional strength and your gym strength will increase

Young&Hungry
08-21-09, 10:30 am
I am probably on the other side of the spectrum of this discussion, but I'll add my input regardless.

I train strongman, so I have 2 regular gym days during the week and a long event session on Saturday. During those 2 gym days, I will never wear a belt on any exercise unless I am planning to max (which only happens 2-4 times a year with my training philosophies). There's a two part reason for this. One is to strengthen the core. You might say "why sacrifice poundage on your lifting days by not wearing a belt when you can just do abs sometime else and get your core equally as strong?" There's a two part response to that. First, you have to ask yourself are you living for the workout and trying to impress yourself and others or are you truly training with your mind on the yearly training cycle and the results you want to reap in the LONG term and focusing on getting stronger from every angle or just stronger than yesterday? You don't need to train at the max to get maximal results - that's the philosophy of submaximal weight training. I also had a back injury about a year ago (unrelated to lifting) that makes 99% of ab work painful to me, so this is one of the only ways I can get my ab work in.

The next reason is an idea I got from Max Pippa, a 19 year old strongman who just recently got his pro card and is on track to become the next Travis Ortmayer or the like. We got to talking one night and he said as a strongman, the only day that matters is your event day. The two days you're in the gym are assistance days and assistance days only. Sure, the military press, bench press, squat, and deadlift are great exercises, but in the end they are not competition lifts for strongman. So why would you belt up during the week and push yourself too hard, and then go in on Saturday which is really the only day that matters and suck because you're fatigued from going too heavy? He reasons that not using the belt forces him to hold back a little during the week, yet he still trains heavy but not as heavy as he could be training with a belt on. He understands that event day is the day to get stronger, and the two weekdays are the days to BUILD strength and not TEST strength. There is a difference.

Young&Hungry
08-21-09, 10:39 am
Then you set the bar down, regain composure, regrip the bar and continue rowing. This whole issue of grip strength comes down to the simple fact that in order to get it stronger you need to develop functional strength. Functional strength will kick gym strength's ass any fucking day of the week. The only way that your grip strength will increase is by not using straps at all and gripping the hell out of all your lifts. This includes bench, squat, militray press, deads, barbell curls, ect. Over squeeze the bar on every excersie, and train your forearms to handle the weight, and if a traditional grip doesn't work then use a hook grip.

For a brief moment I used straps right out of high school on shrugs to help with my cleans. I strapped into the shrugs and was able to do a lot of weight but when it came time to clean, I couldn't hold onto the bar. For a while I thought it was a lot of things (and I had no idea what an internet weight training board was, so I went by my own intution you guys are lucky), I noticed that the only thing that changed was the use of straps. Started shrugging without straps and holy shit I was able to hold onto the bar and my grip got stronger. Bottom line and moral of the story, train for functional strength and your gym strength will increase

Wides, I totally agree. Functional strength doesn't relate to Bosu balls or that stuff, but to the approach of your training plan and your exercise selection.

For example - take two athletes of TOTALLY EQUAL physical dimensions and skill levels (this is the key phrase here). Have one do iso leg presses, hammer strength bench presses, bicep curls, tricep extensions, and seated hamstring curls for a year. Have the other back squat, flip tires, drag heavy sleds, proper power cleans, heavy bench pressing, and agility drills. Put them on the field and guess which player will wind up on his ass first.

Back to the topic about straps, many people refuse to buy into the concept of taking one step backward to take two steps forward. Like I said before, too many guys are obsessed with living for today's workout and today's numbers rather than worrying about tomorrow's number's and tomorrow's workouts. There is only one today and a million tomorrows, so why would you place the emphasis on one when you can place the emphasis on many? Success comes from many, not one. Will your grip and your numbers absolutely suck for a good month or two when you drop the straps? Absolutely. Many guys on this site are tough enough for 20 rep squat dropsets, but are you tough enough to hold yourself back and work with lighter weight for a while to reap infinite future rewards? The catch is that it takes time and scaling back, and unfortunately too many guys are unwilling to do that. Like I said before, you will only reap the results of today and miss out on the unknown benefits of tomorrow.

JUGGERNAUT
08-21-09, 10:52 am
I like where this is going now. It's a good thing to talk about the OP's best belt request obviously but just as important; to add in why gear is good and bad/when to use or not use and also how not to rely on gear to assist lifts prematurely.

"We were born into this life without gear, use body parts."

jon_carter13
08-23-09, 10:03 pm
My philosophy is this... you've only got one back... don't fuck it up. I wear a cheap ass Scheik 2006 over here... yeah it's a cheap ass belt, but I'm not going to spend $200 on a good quality Inzer lever belt in case I leave it here or it gets fucked up. I'm going to purchase a high quality belt when I get to the states, in my mind, saving my back is worth the money.

t_mh
08-23-09, 11:17 pm
As the weight goes up, squatting makes my back tighten up and get a little sore. Is this reason to get a belt or is it purely a form issue? I'm definitely willing to get a good belt if it's unreasonable to keep squatting and dl'ing heavier without one.

JUGGERNAUT
08-24-09, 9:50 am
Belts don't stop a back injury at all. They keep you from having your guts explode outside your body and lessen the chance of hernia by internalizing pressure only in the area of the belt coverage. Both times I hurt my back it was while wearing a belt.

ronnie
09-07-09, 10:11 pm
As the weight goes up, squatting makes my back tighten up and get a little sore. Is this reason to get a belt or is it purely a form issue? I'm definitely willing to get a good belt if it's unreasonable to keep squatting and dl'ing heavier without one.

get a good stretch in at the end of your workout. a belt may or may not help you.

ronnie
09-07-09, 10:22 pm
well guys i got a "pro grip" 4 inch belt with double clasp. i have only used it for my heaviest sets of deads, squats and standing military press, (gets used 1 set a day). i find it a great help with the standing military press however with the deadlifts and mostly squats i still have to get used to it, just kinda distracting right now as im not used to the feel of something being there. being able to push my gut against it does make me feel a little tighter in the mid section and safer. thanks for all the advice everyone.

pilotboi
09-08-09, 12:57 pm
Hi guys,
just bought a new Schiek Lifting belt.
But I was not sure on how to wear it as this is the first time I have ever tried to use it.
So, is it meant to be wear on the waist or the stomachs?
Cos when I wear it in the waist, it seems to slip to my stomach whenever I try to do a dead lift or bent down, even though i am wearing it tight.
So please help!

fenix237
09-08-09, 1:39 pm
hey bro- you wear a belt around your stomach. don't overuse it- you have to build your midsection's strength. in fact, if your new to lifting, i would say you do not need to use a belt for a little while until you have built up a certain level of strength

fenix237
09-08-09, 2:06 pm
sorry for the thread hi-jack...but when buying a belt, what's to choose between a buckle or a lever- going to be replacing my current belt soon, and was curious- thnx!

ronnie
09-08-09, 4:53 pm
sorry for the thread hi-jack...but when buying a belt, what's to choose between a buckle or a lever- going to be replacing my current belt soon, and was curious- thnx!

i believe the lever allows you to tighten it in smaller incements rather than the buckles 1" spacing. dont be discouraged though, to make up for the larger increments with a buckle you can simply put a towel or rag between yourelf and the belt to make a smaller change.

shizz702
09-08-09, 5:46 pm
I've been through several belts and this one is by far the best I've ever had: http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/14713

BubbyLight
09-08-09, 11:55 pm
scrap the belt. get ur form to perfection and build a great core

theharjmann
09-10-09, 7:25 am
Hi guys,
just bought a new Schiek Lifting belt.
But I was not sure on how to wear it as this is the first time I have ever tried to use it.
So, is it meant to be wear on the waist or the stomachs?
Cos when I wear it in the waist, it seems to slip to my stomach whenever I try to do a dead lift or bent down, even though i am wearing it tight.
So please help!

until you can stand up straight and, without a belt, push a bar weighing the same as you from your upper chest all the way up until your arms are locked without any leg involvement, put the belt away and dont set eyes on it.....

Menace
12-19-09, 11:10 pm
I'm in the market for a new belt. Out growing my current one, on the last hole.. I train like a bodybuilder, i do however train as heavy as i can. i really only use my belt for deads and squats.
I was looking at the Cardillo belts and the ATP belts. Anyone using either brands? Or anyone have any good suggestions?
Thanks for any help in advance..
Menace

Cstlfx
12-19-09, 11:40 pm
I've been using the 11mm, single prong, black suede belt for the past 2 years. I love the thing.

dyskee
12-20-09, 3:28 am
i saw an inzer belt a few weeks ago with one of my buddies , looked amazing and when doing deads it really helped

theharjmann
12-21-09, 4:05 am
I'm in the market for a new belt. Out growing my current one, on the last hole.. I train like a bodybuilder, i do however train as heavy as i can. i really only use my belt for deads and squats.
I was looking at the Cardillo belts and the ATP belts. Anyone using either brands? Or anyone have any good suggestions?
Thanks for any help in advance..
Menace

"I train like a bodybuilder".....therefore you dont want one of those massive thick ass belts that powerlifters use that end up lifting most of the weight for you.

you are training like a bodybuilder so u want the type of belt a bodybuilder would use. a regular 4 inch golds gym leather one should to the trick i reckon.

peace

mritter3
12-21-09, 8:51 am
APT...makes some sweet ass belts, prices are right as well, used by a lot of bodybuilders..just my 2 cents.

Powerfreak
12-21-09, 7:51 pm
"I train like a bodybuilder".....therefore you dont want one of those massive thick ass belts that powerlifters use that end up lifting most of the weight for you.

you are training like a bodybuilder so u want the type of belt a bodybuilder would use. a regular 4 inch golds gym leather one should to the trick i reckon.

peace

Sorry to butt in, I hope you are not serious, because that would really be sad.
I don't ever remember a time that any belt I wore did ANY of the lifting for me.

Brian Weston

J Wong
12-21-09, 10:16 pm

peace

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I don't ever remember a time that any belt I wore did ANY of the lifting for me.

Brian Weston

Good job being polite about it.

mritter3
12-22-09, 8:36 am
ya way to be polite.....do they make belts that actually lift the weight up for ya?

ghost
12-22-09, 8:40 am
Belts don't stop a back injury at all. They keep you from having your guts explode outside your body and lessen the chance of hernia by internalizing pressure only in the area of the belt coverage. Both times I hurt my back it was while wearing a belt.
Bingo

Brian Weston
fucking Bango.

theharjmann
12-22-09, 9:22 am

Brian Weston

not physically lifting the weight up for you obviously, but what i mean is that the belt stabilises your core more which in turn enables you to lift more weight than you could without the belt.

you are a powerlifter so you can lift some big ass weight..but can you honestly say that you could lift the same weight as your current PB deadlift or squat with a belt on as you can without the belt?

safety-wise belts are essential. also im not saying that powerlifters get "helped" by using belts, because they need them for safety etc. what powerlifters do is fucking commendable and VERY impressive. but i do definitely feel that wearing a belt with enable a deadlifter/squatter shift those few extra pounds than if he/she wasnt wearing a belt....which is imperative for powerlifting since that game is all about poundages. for bodybuilding, however, a belt is only needed if very heavy weights are being used, which for the most part will not be used especially if the subject has only been training for a year or two (im not saying you dont lift heavy if you are a bb'er.....compound movements are ESSENTIAL to muscle growth)

powerlifters MUST use belts etc for their own safety, but i do feel that guys in gyms tend to "over-use" a belt. i was a culprit myself...i used to wear a belt way to much and in turn ended up not being able to build up strong core strength etc. i then ditched the belt which helped tremendously.

however i do use a belt occasionally now when i want to deadlift/squat/bent over row heavy weight for safety.

sorry, didnt mean to disrespect anyone. hopefully u get my drift.

peace

mritter3
12-22-09, 9:27 am
ya man...def understand where your coming from.

J Wong
12-22-09, 9:58 am
theharjmann, I was wondering how much more weight you could lift with a standard powerlifting belt on the deadlift and the bench? And for the record...this is why most PLers wear a belt:

I have pulled about 95% of my one rep max without a belt and it didn't feel any heavier then it would with a belt.

JUGGERNAUT
12-22-09, 10:02 am
not physically lifting the weight up for you obviously, but what i mean is that the belt stabilises your core more which in turn enables you to lift more weight than you could without the belt.

you are a powerlifter so you can lift some big ass weight..but can you honestly say that you could lift the same weight as your current PB deadlift or squat with a belt on as you can without the belt?

peace

I have to disagree completely. Power lifters train both their low backs and ABS and have very strong "cores" PLer's only wear belts in the max lifts and max training so they don't pop like a grape. I can't do any more weight wearing my belt in deads or squat than without it, sometimes; because it's tough to breath in the dead with a tight belt; I take my belt off! (Even in max lifts)

JUGGERNAUT
12-22-09, 10:03 am
theharjmann, I was wondering how much more weight you could lift with a standard powerlifting belt on the deadlift and the bench? And for the record...this is why most PLers wear a belt:

I have pulled about 95% of my one rep max without a belt and it didn't feel any heavier then it would with a belt.

agreed

theharjmann
12-22-09, 10:04 am

i pulled 220kg (495lbs) without a belt and 230kg (approx 518lbs) with a belt (all without straps).

I know thats only roughly a 5% increase but its an increase nevertheless. And i NEVER intend to pull 495lbs EVER again without a belt since I only weigh 200lbs and almost felt like i was gonna snap in half!

theharjmann
12-22-09, 10:09 am
I have to disagree completely. Power lifters train both their low backs and ABS and have very strong "cores" PLer's only wear belts in the max lifts and max training so they don't pop like a grape. I can't do any more weight wearing my belt in deads or squat than without it, sometimes; because it's tough to breath in the dead with a tight belt; I take my belt off! (Even in max lifts)

fair enough.

just curious now......why are raw lifts usually less than lifts with equipment?

JUGGERNAUT
12-22-09, 10:47 am
fair enough.

Because the suits/shirts aid the joints (hip, knee, shoulder and elbow) in the negative decent especially, unlike what you discussed with the core. The suits/shirts also help with initial drive as well because of the tension built up from the drop itself. Make sense all? There are many ways of saying it.

Little Z
12-22-09, 2:29 pm
fair enough.

here's some basics on Bench Shirts by Barbender
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=195&section=training

but Juggs pretty much explained the basics on how equipment assist in lifts..

ghost
12-22-09, 2:31 pm
harjman, one thing you ought to know............

most Powerlifters wear a belt when competing, because it holds the gear in place better. Example. Pulling down a bench shirt, then ratcheting on the belt.... that shirt is less likely to move than when not wearing a belt.

J Wong
12-22-09, 4:07 pm
fair enough.

Raw lifting=belt

Powerfreak
12-22-09, 8:59 pm

safety-wise belts are essential. also im not saying that powerlifters get "helped" by using belts, because they need them for safety etc. what powerlifters do is fucking commendable and VERY impressive. but i do definitely feel that wearing a belt with enable a deadlifter/squatter shift those few extra pounds than if he/she wasnt wearing a belt....which is imperative for powerlifting since that game is all about poundages. for bodybuilding, however, a belt is only needed if very heavy weights are being used, which for the most part will not be used especially if the subject has only been training for a year or two (im not saying you dont lift heavy if you are a bb'er.....compound movements are ESSENTIAL to muscle growth)

powerlifters MUST use belts etc for their own safety, but i do feel that guys in gyms tend to "over-use" a belt. i was a culprit myself...i used to wear a belt way to much and in turn ended up not being able to build up strong core strength etc. i then ditched the belt which helped tremendously.

however i do use a belt occasionally now when i want to deadlift/squat/bent over row heavy weight for safety.

peace

I do agree that a belt can be used to help prevent injury, especially for new lifters.
the belt does have it's place when lifting, to be used of course at the discretion of the individual.
Though some put mre faith in it than they should or simply misunderstand how/when it should be used.
One of my favorites is the guy that wears his belt the entire time he is in the gym,makes me laugh every time.
Anyway, a lifting belt is designed to be used for ADDED support during various lifts, and not as a failsafe against back injury. The most importatnt factors in preventing back injuries are form and AB/CORE strength.
Your primary vertical support comes from your ABS NOT your Back.
Using a belt during primary lifts such as squats,deadlifts, bent barbell rows etc. can certainly be a good idea, though not always neccessary.
I personally rarely use a belt,either in training or in powerlifting meets, I find them to be just too restricting, and make it hard for me to get the air that I need.
I have squatted 1005lbs in competition,and pulled 755 in comp with no belt, but I do ALOT of core strengthening work in the gym.
Not to say that this is for everyone, by all means use your best judgement, only YOU know YOUR body and it's limits.
One area that I dont beleive a belt is needed is the Bench press.
I only use a belt for bench to hold my bench shirt in place, and it is not a "lifting" beltIt is a belt from a tool pouch that I got from Home depot, very thin, hell I have even used a regular "hold your pants up" kind of belt for this.
I guess some people like the feel of having a belt on while training, maybe an added sense of security, but again it comes down to personal preference.
I guess that's what it comes down to in the end, if ya want to wear it,have at it!
Just don't be one of the goofballs that wears it to take a piss! lol
Again, the key to protecting the back,is STRONG ABS.

Just my 2 1/2 cents

Brian Weston

theharjmann
12-23-09, 4:08 am
I do agree that a belt can be used to help prevent injury, especially for new lifters.
the belt does have it's place when lifting, to be used of course at the discretion of the individual.
Though some put mre faith in it than they should or simply misunderstand how/when it should be used.
One of my favorites is the guy that wears his belt the entire time he is in the gym,makes me laugh every time.
Anyway, a lifting belt is designed to be used for ADDED support during various lifts, and not as a failsafe against back injury. The most importatnt factors in preventing back injuries are form and AB/CORE strength.
Your primary vertical support comes from your ABS NOT your Back.
Using a belt during primary lifts such as squats,deadlifts, bent barbell rows etc. can certainly be a good idea, though not always neccessary.
I personally rarely use a belt,either in training or in powerlifting meets, I find them to be just too restricting, and make it hard for me to get the air that I need.
I have squatted 1005lbs in competition,and pulled 755 in comp with no belt, but I do ALOT of core strengthening work in the gym.
Not to say that this is for everyone, by all means use your best judgement, only YOU know YOUR body and it's limits.
One area that I dont beleive a belt is needed is the Bench press.
I only use a belt for bench to hold my bench shirt in place, and it is not a "lifting" beltIt is a belt from a tool pouch that I got from Home depot, very thin, hell I have even used a regular "hold your pants up" kind of belt for this.
I guess some people like the feel of having a belt on while training, maybe an added sense of security, but again it comes down to personal preference.
I guess that's what it comes down to in the end, if ya want to wear it,have at it!
Just don't be one of the goofballs that wears it to take a piss! lol
Again, the key to protecting the back,is STRONG ABS.

Just my 2 1/2 cents

Brian Weston

very informative thanks

tcat210
03-02-10, 5:05 pm
Hello all, there a so many different kind of weight belts out there, wondering if someone can give me info on how to choose the right one for what I need?

Thanks in advance.

Cstlfx
03-02-10, 7:14 pm
Hello all, there a so many different kind of weight belts out there, wondering if someone can give me info on how to choose the right one for what I need?

Thanks in advance.

Depends if you're powerlifting, bodybuilding, both, what lift you want to use it for, etc.

MRmichael.hooker
09-12-10, 12:49 pm
I was told by a guy at my gym (58yearsold, bodybuilder in 70s/80s) that the leather lifting belts are not good to use because they can do harm to the bellybutton and internal damage. That the padded, powerlifting belt is a better choice. Anyone got some insight or this guy just talking? lol

RK
09-12-10, 2:26 pm
i think its all just a preference......i mean is 1/4 to 1/2 inch of padding really gonna make that much difference? ive used both and prefer the leather

Kuclo
09-12-10, 3:07 pm
Thats old school mentality... if a belt feels comfortable and gives you the proper support you need than by all means utilize the belt.

d1sc1ple
09-14-10, 5:12 pm
I use and Inzer tapered belt, the small amount of stability I lose I gain back in comfort and movability, my ribs hit hard when I do Deads in a full belt. But to each their own and all that.

BamBam
09-14-10, 6:20 pm
Inzer 2 prong for me..

blaine
10-11-10, 2:25 pm
I am focusing on my deadlifts and squats more. I am going to pick up a belt but don't know what i am looking for. suggestions?

mritter3
10-11-10, 2:39 pm
I am focusing on my deadlifts and squats more. I am going to pick up a belt but don't know what i am looking for. suggestions?

i got mine thru APT...and love it, great customer service as well....i hear inzer and shiek also make great belts...there is a ton of threads on this...check it out and im sure u will find one

Razor
10-11-10, 3:32 pm
10 mm Inzers...i can't imagine a better belt.

BamBam
10-11-10, 3:37 pm
10 mm Inzers...i can't imagine a better belt.

Inzer seems to be the best belt all around... I dont know too many guys without them or ones that "imitate" their style

theharjmann
10-12-10, 6:29 am
i think the best lifting belt is your core.

as evan centopani said... "belts are for pussies"