PDA

View Full Version : The Word On Chocolate Milk

xMATT182x
04-13-09, 5:53 am
In the last two weeks i've been drinking between 1/4 and 1/2 gallon of chocolate milk and have seen a huge boost in growth and recovery. I'd heard a lot of good things abou drinking chocolate milk so I figured i'd try it. Anyone else have good experiences with it?

slainte151
04-13-09, 6:06 am
ive read a few scientific reviews about how milk helps speed up the recovery process

sodapop
04-13-09, 7:57 am
Why chocolate milk? What makes it better than regular milk?

xMATT182x
04-13-09, 8:06 am

I heard it has something to do with the sugars in it which makes it faster to absorb. I could be totally wrong but thats just what i've heard.

1stepup
04-13-09, 8:19 am
I heard it has something to do with the sugars in it which makes it faster to absorb. I could be totally wrong but thats just what i've heard.

Chocolate milik is better for rehydration and glycogen resynthesis compared to carb-based sports drinks, (gatorade, power etc)and it has outperformed them (and soy-based drinks) for protecting and synthesizing muscle protein. Also improves muscule endurance,increases protien formation, and inhibits protein breakdown. Plus here milk here is full cream milk, ugh... iraq milk. But I mix in choclate milk after my workout, with about 2 scoops of optimum nutrition.

mritter3
04-13-09, 8:23 am
milk is def. great for recovering, lots of vit. and minerals and protein, i drink anywhere from 4-6 glasses of choc. milk per day. good stuff

xMATT182x
04-13-09, 8:31 am
Yea milk pretty much kicks ass.

IRBS
04-13-09, 8:57 am

The chocolate makes it better, LOL

Big3
04-13-09, 11:10 am

^^^

The chocolate makes it better, LOL

taste FTW!!!

But for real, I think it's because the sugars allow for faster glycogen loading

rev8ball
04-13-09, 11:17 am
Two main reasons:

1. The added sugar gives milk a great carb:protein ratio great for PWO recuperation.
2. It has an optimal casein:whey protein ratio, allowing prime fast and slow amino acid usage PWO.

TheDarkHalf
04-13-09, 11:20 am
Two main reasons:

1. The added sugar gives milk a great carb:protein ratio great for PWO recuperation.
2. It has an optimal casein:whey protein ratio, allowing prime fast and slow amino acid usage PWO.

So is this a better option than something such as torrent? Or would a combo of torrent and chocolate milk PWO be beneficial (and no not combined together that would taste terrible!)?

live2lift
04-13-09, 11:52 am
So is this a better option than something such as torrent? Or would a combo of torrent and chocolate milk PWO be beneficial (and no not combined together that would taste terrible!)?

Dont quote me on this but I would imagine it would be one or the other. I think the chocolate milk would be great for someone who really cannot afford a lot of supps or simply did not want to take a lot of supps. And you are right, Torrent mixed with choc milk would probably be disgusting.

rev8ball
04-13-09, 12:10 pm
I think the chocolate milk would be great for someone who really cannot afford a lot of supps or simply did not want to take a lot of supps. And you are right, Torrent mixed with choc milk would probably be disgusting.

Bingo.

Torrent has a lot more to offer than just carbs and protein. But the same carb and protein principle that makes choc milk awesome is also used as a foundation for Torrent.

Choc Milk is just a fantastic alternative for someone who can't use a PWO supp.

prowrestler
04-13-09, 12:11 pm
reminds me of last night lol

-post workout 50 whey, 100 sucrose (peach driiiink!)
-30 mins later a smoked meat sandwich....and a pickle
-about to go home b4 i meet 2 other friends.....time for dessert i guess

i ordered chocolate milk like a very mature 18 year old hahah, the girl laughed at me :(

i think its great as a second Post workout "meal" or in my case a 3rd. right after i stick to purley whey and sugar though

GJN5002
04-13-09, 12:29 pm
I dont like it post workout, because it makes me want ot vomit and its a casein protein. Even if the sugar helps it to be utilized somewhat faster, its still casein based. Go with whey and a carb unless you are strapped for cash or forgot your supps that day. As far as recovery, pasteurized milk is a dead food, the past. proces kills all living organisms and other components. Half a gallon of choc milk a day will surely turn you into a fatty at some point. just my two cents

Alk
04-13-09, 12:37 pm
Huh...

I've been avoiding chocolate milk at school for the past couple of months because I thought the sugars wouldn't be helping me at all...interesting stuff.

rev8ball
04-13-09, 12:39 pm
Huh...

I've been avoiding chocolate milk at school for the past couple of months because I thought the sugars wouldn't be helping me at all...interesting stuff.

Normally, you're right. But for PWO, it's a different story.

GJN5002
04-13-09, 12:44 pm
Huh...

I wouldnt drink it during the day, stick to water or regular milk

wedge
04-13-09, 3:09 pm
In the past I used to drink a quart of milk after my leg workouts. Wished I had gone with chocolate. Will have to if I go that route again.

And Pro-You get the best waitress reactions when you ask for milk with dinner. I had a lady stare at my like I had two heads once.

xMATT182x
04-18-09, 2:16 am
So drinking a quart of choclate milk a day for 10 days made me gain ten pounds. But it was like 50% fat, I was pissed and been hitting the cardio like a crazy man since!

ronnie
04-20-09, 5:18 pm
So drinking a quart of choclate milk a day for 10 days made me gain ten pounds. But it was like 50% fat, I was pissed and been hitting the cardio like a crazy man since!

10lbs in 10 days? 50% of it is fat and your pissed? .5lbs of muslce a day is GREAT.

ronnie
04-20-09, 5:18 pm
chocolate milk is superior to most pwo drinks (ie gatorade, powerade all that BS), regular milk, water, juice etc in the fact that the sugar in chocolate milk (glucose, am i right?) helps aid in absorption of nutrients, carbs, protein also provided in chocolate milk. however, taking a multivitamin each day, then taking in sugar(glucose) and whey isolate pwo will do better then chocolate milk.

Big3
04-20-09, 8:16 pm

Did you eat too much carbs during this bulk? Did you know that there are 31g carbs per 8oz in chocolate milk? You then drank at lease 164g extra carbs... did you drink the milk Postworkout? A lot of factors why you got "fat".

chocolate milk is superior to most pwo drinks (ie gatorade, powerade all that BS), regular milk, water, juice etc in the fact that the sugar in chocolate milk (glucose, am i right?) helps aid in absorption of nutrients, carbs, protein also provided in chocolate milk. however, taking a multivitamin each day, then taking in sugar(glucose) and whey isolate pwo will do better then chocolate milk.

I don't consider Gatorade BS if you are a real athlete that practices/trains in high temperature for more than 3 hours, but people who sip of the 32oz Gatorade bottle at the gym doing curls piss me off. And Gatorade is not a pwo drink. It's not even a bodybuilding supplement, it's a hydration beverage for athletes.

TigerAce01
04-20-09, 9:46 pm
I don't consider Gatorade BS if you are a real athlete that practices/trains in high temperature for more than 3 hours, but people who sip of the 32oz Gatorade bottle at the gym doing curls piss me off. And Gatorade is not a pwo drink. It's not even a bodybuilding supplement, it's a hydration beverage for athletes.

x2.

Most bodybuilders look down on Gatorade and other hydration drinks because they have never had the need for them. When you are a hard working athlete sweating hard for more than an hour or two, Gatorade is an invaluable tool against cramping, fatigue, headaches, and dehydration.

Especially after vomiting (I know it sounds gross, but how many times have people thrown up after an extremely intense cardio session), Gatorade and other electrolyte drinks give your body priceless nutrients that water can't. I remember I puked after a three hour MMA/grappling practice, and no matter how much water I drank, I would not stop cramping, and my head felt like it was about to pop. After sipping on a small bottle of Gatorade, everything was back to normal.

-Ace

NJC_Manhattan
04-20-09, 10:49 pm
You know what I'm a big fan of...

1 serving BCAA powder supp (tasteless)
1 cup of Choco milk

Pretty legit post workout

ronnie
04-20-09, 10:53 pm
Did you eat too much carbs during this bulk? Did you know that there are 31g carbs per 8oz in chocolate milk? You then drank at lease 164g extra carbs... did you drink the milk Postworkout? A lot of factors why you got "fat".

sorry, i guess i did not consider gatorade for its intended use.

im not tryin to go to far off topic here but be careful about how you use the term "real athlete"! haha, some people on this forum might not like that to much! (watch out!)

TigerAce01
04-20-09, 11:45 pm

im not tryin to go to far off topic here but be careful about how you use the term "real athlete"! haha, some people on this forum might not like that to much! (watch out!)

He wasn't saying anything disrespectful towards bodybuilders or iron warriors brother, he was saying hard working athletes that train for hours at a time. That can mean weight training, cardio, or any activity that necessitates the use of an electrolyte replacement drink.

-Ace

xMATT182x
04-21-09, 4:13 am
[QUOTE=Big3;694954]Did you eat too much carbs during this bulk? Did you know that there are 31g carbs per 8oz in chocolate milk? You then drank at lease 164g extra carbs... did you drink the milk Postworkout? A lot of factors why you got "fat".

I looked into it and I was taking in a lot of carbs and not too mention the sugars. If I cut it to 1/4 of what I was drinking I should see good gains without the extra baggage! Thanks for the advice man!

sodapop
04-21-09, 8:13 am
I'm gonna start following up my PWO shake with 2-4 cups of chocolate milk. Sounds like it's doing wonders, haha.

Edit: You guys know that pre-made chocolate milk in jugs they sell? Is that just as good, or is using the syrup somehow better?

adidas
04-21-09, 10:11 am
Two main reasons:

But. But. But you can only use Whey PWO!!!! I've heard it preached for years ONLY Whey PWO!

;)

GJN5002
04-21-09, 10:23 am
x2.

Most bodybuilders look down on Gatorade and other hydration drinks because they have never had the need for them. When you are a hard working athlete sweating hard for more than an hour or two, Gatorade is an invaluable tool against cramping, fatigue, headaches, and dehydration.

Especially after vomiting (I know it sounds gross, but how many times have people thrown up after an extremely intense cardio session), Gatorade and other electrolyte drinks give your body priceless nutrients that water can't. I remember I puked after a three hour MMA/grappling practice, and no matter how much water I drank, I would not stop cramping, and my head felt like it was about to pop. After sipping on a small bottle of Gatorade, everything was back to normal.

-Ace

I like Gatorade, but another priceless ingredient it gives you is high fructose corn syrup. Besides that, its a quality drink.

Chocolate milk is delicous but I think its a shitty drink. Fat and sugar w/ minimal protein. Also, like gatorade, chekc the ingredient list, right after milk and sugar is usually high fructose corn syrup.

TigerAce01
04-21-09, 1:15 pm
I like Gatorade, but another priceless ingredient it gives you is high fructose corn syrup. Besides that, its a quality drink.

Chocolate milk is delicous but I think its a shitty drink. Fat and sugar w/ minimal protein. Also, like gatorade, chekc the ingredient list, right after milk and sugar is usually high fructose corn syrup.

I agree with the chocolate milk. I don't think I've had chocolate milk since I was a kid.

And I premix Gatorade, with the powder. Sucrose and Dextrose, no high fructose corn syrup. Plus it's cheap as hell in the big containers.

-Ace

GJN5002
04-21-09, 1:29 pm
I agree with the chocolate milk. I don't think I've had chocolate milk since I was a kid.

And I premix Gatorade, with the powder. Sucrose and Dextrose, no high fructose corn syrup. Plus it's cheap as hell in the big containers.

-Ace

gatorade podwer all the way

04-21-09, 2:03 pm
Here's my take on both of the above discussed items...

Gatorade:
Use powder or bottled...Pre/Intra/pwo ONLY! No reason to have the sugars at any other times unless it's your "cheat" meals. I use the powder as to avoid the HFCS...That's just my personal preference though.

Choco milk:
As stated above..If you can't afford a PWO supp. or are simply drinking it to add to your total cals/macros for the day I don't see much reason for it either. The digestion rate is not "fast" enough in my opinion if you are using it as the Carb source and the protein content is minimal at best (8g per 8oz.). BUT.... if you must use the choco milk I'd say mix your own..... 16oz Milk, 40g choco whey and a choco powder that uses a legit source of sugar. That should yield 56g Protein. The Fat and carb content will be based off of what milk and how much chocolate mix product you use....

Phil

Big3
04-21-09, 4:44 pm
x2.

-Ace

Bingo. 2 a days and workouts would be suicide without Gatorade.

Haha. I hear ya. I play football so I am a little biased on what is considered athletics, although I love bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman, and oly weightlifting.

I looked into it and I was taking in a lot of carbs and not too mention the sugars. If I cut it to 1/4 of what I was drinking I should see good gains without the extra baggage! Thanks for the advice man!

No prob. Just try to get in skim chocolate and mix 16oz with some whey and creatine. Then you're golden.