PDA

View Full Version : Better for size?

redskin 344
04-14-09, 7:56 pm
Which would be better for faster gaining size? High reps (preferably with rest pause sets) or a program like 5x5?

Cstlfx
04-14-09, 10:03 pm
It all really depends on your genetics. Try each one out and see how it works. No one can tell you, because every single person is different. Like me, I do well with low reps, heavy weight. But the next person in line might do great with high reps low weight. You just have to give them a try and figure out what works best for you.

But, I will say that lower reps, higher weight will get you stronger, so if thats also on your list, give the 5x5 a chance first.

sodapop
04-14-09, 10:05 pm
I think it depends on where you stand in terms of experience. If you're a beginner, you'll grow using 5x5 or Starting Strength - PLUS, you'll gain strength incredibly fast. If you've been lifting for two years or so, high rep, low weight shit will probably work for you.

Just my opinion.

cstmgp
04-14-09, 10:08 pm
Yeah, traditionally, higher reps=size, while lower reps=strength, we now know this isn't always the case. Personally, I go for both, my first pull workout will be lower weight with 10-12 reps, next time I do pull, I go with heavy weight and 4-6 reps. I've had pretty good luck making advancements, but I'm just an intermediate lifter.

Shaun

Littlefry
04-14-09, 11:17 pm
5x5 is a great program for a beginner to run in order to gain both size and strenght. If you have been lifting for 3-4 years liek myself I tend to run two 12 week cycles of 5x5 during my bulking phase in order to pack on some size as well as gain strenght.

GJN5002
04-15-09, 9:05 am
I like to follow eric brosers p/rr/s system because it mixes, high, mod, and low rep ranges together instead of just using one. But if were to choose just one I would go with 8-12 rep range for size

MrMonday
04-15-09, 10:50 am
Very few bodybuilders stick to only one rep range for everything.

Kevin Levrone comes to mind as someone who stuck with low reps (3-6) and heavy weight for almost everything, all the way down to DB curls.

And then somebody like Kiyoshi Moody never goes below 10 reps or so.

It's entirely personal, but MOST people (99%) don't stick to only one rep range.

Example:

Deadlift 5x5
Lat pulldowns 3x8-10
DB rows 3x10-12
Cable rows 2x15

The specific set/rep scheme is one of the LEAST important aspects of training. Just PICK ONE, and keep adding weight in that range and eating enough food to grow on. Common sense will dictate which exercises you can go really heavy on, and which exercises require higher reps for reasons of safety or muscle targeting.

Me personally, for most of my exercises, I take a weight I can only lift maybe 4 or 5 times and I go back to that weight each week and try to grind out more reps until I can get it 10 times, then I add weight (usually 50-90lbs, depending on the exercise, bringing me again down to a 4 or 5RM). For smaller exercises like curls and pushdowns I do the same thing except I am aiming for 15 reps on my top set.

So what "rep range" am I working in?

Do you see why this doesn't matter?

sanga
04-15-09, 1:15 pm
Which would be better for faster gaining size? High reps (preferably with rest pause sets) or a program like 5x5?

In my opinion either although most people are not advanced enough for rest pause sets, its all about stimulating muscle and then feeding and resting it, get the food right and you will grow.

shizz702
04-15-09, 9:15 pm
Sets and reps are just numbers bro, they all work as long as you are progressive with them and push yourself to either hit more reps or add more weight.

Pick some numbers that apeal to you, and stick with it.

Beast Genetics
04-15-09, 9:48 pm
Which would be better for faster gaining size? High reps (preferably with rest pause sets) or a program like 5x5? The answer is both, switching around your routine, constantly keeping your body guessing, and knowing the balance between heavy lifting and moderate lifting from week to week is the key to optimal strength and mass gains.-Beast