PDA

View Full Version : Melatonin for women??

cstmgp
04-14-09, 8:52 pm
I was thinking about picking some up for sleep, and wondering if it is also beneficial for women? My wife has trouble sleeping at times, but I know that one of the reasons lifters like it is for either GH or test boosters.

Shaun

TigerAce01
04-14-09, 9:03 pm
It's just fine for women.

Melatonin is naturally secreted in both men and women, and in both sexes is nearly the same amount. Melatonin does not increase test, it only facilitates an increase in GH release. She's good to take it.

-Ace

cstmgp
04-14-09, 9:17 pm
Sweet, thanks for the ibfo, and I'm pumped about the bonus GH boost.
How much/when do you guys take yours?

Shaun

TigerAce01
04-14-09, 9:39 pm
I take a couple of pills at night. Some guys actually like to take one pill before a workout with a pre workout product to boost GH. Never tried it.

-Ace

cstmgp
04-14-09, 10:09 pm
It seems like something that promotes sleep would not be good before a workout, but maybe the pre workout sups negate it.
Shaun

Cstlfx
04-14-09, 10:15 pm
It seems like something that promotes sleep would not be good before a workout, but maybe the pre workout sups negate it.
Shaun

You're correct. The metabolic pathway that melatonin goes through is light sensitive. Its in direct correlation with the circadian rhythm. When it starts to get darker out, you become tired because your body is producing melatonin (derived from serotonin). So, if someone takes .5-1g of melatonin (a very low dose), the light absorbed through your skin will negate the effects on your sleep cycle. As of right now, not too much known about its affects on GH levels, but a few studies have shown the levels increase in mice. No human studies yet (at least the last time I looked it up).

For sleep, you can assess your tolerance levels. You can buy pills ranging from .5 g - 6g, both straight up or time released. I like to take 3-6g when I am taking them (I tend to cycle because my body becomes used to it). But take 1 g, to start, go from there and also see how groggy you feel in the morning.

cstmgp
04-14-09, 10:24 pm
Nice, thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to pick some up.

Shaun

TigerAce01
04-14-09, 10:30 pm
Nice, thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to pick some up.

Shaun

Yeah, it's a simple supp that's pretty nice.

-Ace

TheDarkHalf
04-14-09, 11:26 pm
Yeah, it's a simple supp that's pretty nice.

-Ace

And cheap too - I always seem to find it as a buy one get one free.

Aggression
04-15-09, 3:41 pm
And cheap too - I always seem to find it as a buy one get one free.

x2. The ones I get always have well over 100 tabs per bottle. I usually just pop 1 tab right before bed. Some brands have been 3mg and others have been 5mg. One brand I used (cant' remember the name) also had another ingredient that helped reduce stress (can't remember the ingredient either).

TigerAce01
04-15-09, 3:48 pm
x2. The ones I get always have well over 100 tabs per bottle. I usually just pop 1 tab right before bed. Some brands have been 3mg and others have been 5mg. One brand I used (cant' remember the name) also had another ingredient that helped reduce stress (can't remember the ingredient either).

Some have Valerian Root, which I love. One brand of ZMA had it in their product, and I loved it. I think this is the ingredient you're thinking of.

-Ace

Nightshift
04-15-09, 3:50 pm
The only thing about melatonin I didn't like was, after a few days, I started having some really weird dreams!! I know others that have had the same thing. Other than that, a good supplement.

bassmonkey16
04-15-09, 4:45 pm
Shaun

I used melatonin a lot when i moved from the farm to the city. it worked really well for the first few weeks, but i found it only worked well if i took it right before i crawled into bed. if i stayed up watcin the tube or on the computer, it had no sleepy effect on me. so i can see that it's sleep-inducing effects are only profound if you actually put yourself into a relaxed state - like in your bed. from this, i'm assuming it wouldn't make you sleepy if taken before a workout, so if they start showing more proof that it increases GH levels, i'll probably use it before a workout

TheDarkHalf
04-15-09, 8:00 pm
The only thing about melatonin I didn't like was, after a few days, I started having some really weird dreams!! I know others that have had the same thing. Other than that, a good supplement.

dude those dreams are the best! try stacking it with ZMA or GABA.

Atma
04-15-09, 8:19 pm
Took 3g of melatonin before I went to bed, had a vivid dream brinking a nightmare. It was hard to wake up, and the morning/afternoon felt groggy like I got too much sleep. I do want to experiment taking some before a workout.

TheDarkHalf
04-15-09, 10:23 pm
Took 3g of melatonin before I went to bed, had a vivid dream brinking a nightmare. It was hard to wake up, and the morning/afternoon felt groggy like I got too much sleep. I do want to experiment taking some before a workout.

Then tone the dosage down and adjust as necessary. Read the previous post regarding it's ineffectiveness preWO.

cstmgp
04-22-09, 12:48 pm
We have both taken it for 3 nights now, it has made us a bit groggy in the mornig. I believe it may just be that we aren't used to it yet, so I'm going to give it a week. I bought the 3mg pills, so I suppose if I have to I can cut them in half. I also read that you should give yourself at least 8 hours to sleep, I don't always do this, so that may be another reason, lol.

Thanks,
Shaun

TigerAce01
04-22-09, 2:31 pm
We have both taken it for 3 nights now, it has made us a bit groggy in the mornig. I believe it may just be that we aren't used to it yet, so I'm going to give it a week. I bought the 3mg pills, so I suppose if I have to I can cut them in half. I also read that you should give yourself at least 8 hours to sleep, I don't always do this, so that may be another reason, lol.

Thanks,
Shaun

Yeah, if you're taking melatonin, give yourself at least 8-9 hours, otherwise it can make you groggy.

-Ace