PDA

View Full Version : The Messenger's Journey

Pages : [1] 2

The Messenger
04-18-09, 1:45 pm
Introduction

Before my first entry, I'd like to put myself out there so everyone knows where I'm coming from. I'm a 19 year old sophomore at the University of Georgia. I'm a football player/bodybuilder who has been living the animal lifestyle for over a year now. I have been seeing great results since I started college, and like everyone else here, I'm trying to take it to the next level.

Stats when I started college
Height-6'1"
Weight-145
Bench-165
Squat-190
Clean-145
Deadlift-who knows, I had never done it before

Pretty bad I know, but it all changed when I truly began chasing down my life's dream, playing football for UGA. During my first week at school, I asked a coach if I could try out for the team as a linebacker. He actually laughed at me. "No," he said. "Gain some weight and then we'll see." He graciously allowed me to work out in the team weight room for the semester. I took it seriously, eating and lifting as though my life depended on it because after all, it did. By the end of the semester I had added some meat on my skinny frame, weighing in at 185. I was amazed at how easy it was to gain healthy weight if you do the little things right. I shoveled down as much complex carbs and protein as I could six times a day. Spring semester, coach was very surprised by my gains and let me try out.

For those of you who don't know, the majority of college linebackers are somewhere between 220 and 240. Despite my progress, I looked like a field mouse trying to take down a lion out there. We had to rep out 225 on bench for a combine and I only got it once. In short, I worked very hard, but was nowhere near ready physically to play at such a high level. When I got cut I literally went straight to the gym and took my anger out on the iron. That semester, something happened that changed the course of my life. I met my best friend, The Hybrid, a guy who's level of testosterone and competitiveness is unrivaled by anyone else I know. He is a receiver who looks like a linebacker with pads on. He introduced me to the true world of bodybuilding. He taught me how to structure my workouts to group muscle groups together. I started taking creatine for the first time. On his 20th birthday, July 18th 2008, I started bodybuilding. I deadlifted for the first time ever that day. Something inside me came alive during that lift. We did several sets and then decided to go for a single. I tried 4 plates and it took everything I had, but I got it. Even though I had just begun, I felt like a champion with that weight in my hands.

By the time sophomore year started, I was up to 200, and I had grown taller as well. Now standing 6'3", I had a rare commodity in this sport: height. I had a big frame that had plenty of room to bulk up. I had another meeting with coach. He literally told me to quit. "Some guys are meant to play football. You aren't one of them. There's nothing wrong with that, you should just do something else with your life." I can't even describe how mad I was. Not even mad, enraged was more like it. He told me that no matter what he would not let me try out again. Now here's where I really start to take control.

I'm not a guy with a lot of athletic ability. I've played football since I was 10, and I haven't started in a game since 7th grade. My senior year in high school I was a 4th string linebacker and made zero tackles the entire season. And yet, I still wanted to play at one of the best schools in the entire nation. Most people say that's crazy. I guess that's why most people never accomplish anything.

The first semester of sophomore year, I gained weight at an excellent rate. I set a goal to gain 2 pounds a week for 16 weeks and I did it. I set foot on the scale at 232 before that semester was over. I competed in a powerlifting event at the school gym and won my weight class. I deadlifted more than everyone in the entire event. I went to see coach again and he was stunned. The strength coach asked me if I was on steroids. I went through the try out again and did much better. I got 225 11 times on bench. I cut down some weight to try to improve my speed, which was lagging. That brings me to where I am now.

Current Stats
Height-6'3"
Weight-220
Bench-300
Squat-405
Clean-265
Deadlift-565
I measured my body fat % a month ago and I was at 11%.

So there's me. Now its time for the journey.

The Messenger
04-18-09, 1:53 pm
"He has made great progress over the last year. He transformed his body. I appreciate his commitment and work ethic. However, he leveled off in his development...his body could not handle any more weight, his strength leveled off. His speed got worse because he's as big as he can get, and for him it's too big...he does not have the fast twitch muscle needed to play in the SEC. In mat drills he was slow and lacked quickness. That would improve if he lost 20 pounds...but he can't because he'd be too slow. I do not believe he can play in the SEC...too small, too slow, not quick...average strength, I appreciate his want, desire, and effort, but he must face facts. He's a Division 3 player at best and should strongly consider giving it up."

The infamous words uttered by my so called college coach. Little does he know that he just sparked a fire that will never be put out. He can't spell my name right and he doesn't know what I can do. He calls himself my "coach?" Don't piss on my feet and tell me it's raining.

The Messenger
04-20-09, 6:56 pm
Worked out chest with The Hybrid yesterday. For my last set of decline, I put 300 on the bar for the first time and grinded out a set of three. It felt good crossing over into a new level of hundreds. I am nowhere near where I need to be, however. Starting next week we will start on our own five day split outside of team workouts, but more to come on that later.

After much discussion with the few other bodybuilders I know, we came up with a set of numbers that define a MAN. When I put that word in all caps, I do not mean an old guy with a mediocre desk job and a family to take care of. When a MAN walks into a room, everything goes quiet. People stop what they are doing. They are either filled with jealously or fear. I mean the kind of guys that people ask him if he's on steroids before they ask his name. If you ask yourself "Am I a MAN?" and even hesitate for a second, then you are more than likely not a man.

I am not at MAN level yet. I have been striving for it since I started bodybuilding. The day I reach that level will be a glorious one indeed. Even looking around our football team I see maybe two or three guys that are MEN. The numbers we came up with to be a MAN are as follows:

Clean-300
Bench-400
Squat-500
Deadlift-600

Now obviosly I am nowhere near the final authority on this. These are numbers that me and several of my fellow bodybuilders came up with as stepping stones to becoming an ANIMAL. Chasing down goals as if they are a big juicy steak is what constantly drives me. I always have final goals, but intermediate ones can be helpful as well. Until next time, be the ANIMAL you were born to be.

The Messenger
04-22-09, 9:51 pm
Today truly begins my new workout schedule. I'm on my own for the next several months. The only limits that exist are the ones i choose to place on myself. Today was back day. This is arguably my favorite day in the gym.

My routine:

Lat Pulldowns 15, 15, 12, 12 (1st and 3rd set in front of head, 2nd and 4th behind)
Dumbell Pullovers 15, 12, 10, 8, 6
weights went 60, 70, 80, 90, 100
Dumbell Standing Rows (great excersize The Hybrid taught me) 15, 12, 10, 8
weights went 35, 40, 45, 50
Machine Rows 10, 10, 10
Hypers 10, 10, 10

Abs

There it is. Any suggestions are always welcome. My routine is NOWHERE near perfect so I need all the help I can get.

The Messenger
04-26-09, 3:26 pm
Tick, tick, tick, tick...as I sit in the locker room waiting for my training partner, that sound haunts me. Each tick means one less grain of sand in my hourglass. One second closer to dying. In this sport there is no time to waste. Every second I'm awake I must either be eating, training, or drinking from my water gallon. Though I'm still only 19, I know that
I don't have forever. Nobody does. I know what I have to do, and now I must do it. Records exist so that they can be broken. The iron is calling.

SAGERBOMB
04-28-09, 2:56 am
damn...that is so true

The Messenger
04-28-09, 12:28 pm
Another day another lift. Today is an off day but I'm gonna have a calf day since mine are lagging. My regular split is as follows:

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Back
Day 3: Shoulders and Traps
Day 4: Arms
Day 5: Legs

I take two days off so that I hit each muscle group once a week. I've found that for myself at least, I get better results from absolutely destroying each muscle once a week than having two average lifts in a week.

I only have two weeks left of school. Don't get me wrong, I love UGA, but this summer I get to go away for a while and focus on bodybuilding. Going back to my roots. Training to become a MAN. No more people criticising or praising me. If there's one thing that can mess with you, it's other people's opinions. If someone tell you you're jacked, you believe them. If someone says you're looking small, you believe them. That's not the way of the MAN. The mirror and the scale are the only things fit to judge a person.

mritter3
04-28-09, 6:32 pm
hey man you have come along way, you must put in a lot of time and energy into this with the progress that you have made, consider me subbed for this journey.

The Messenger
04-30-09, 11:33 am
Thanks man I appreciate it.

Today is the last day of classes for my sophomore year. Everyone is busy studying for their exams and tests now. What a joke. Go load 500 pounds on the deadlift platform--that's a test. In the words of the Hybrid, "The only test I care about is TESTosterone." Today is my shoulders and traps day. I throw in power cleans as well to work on explosiveness.

Cleans: 6,5,4,3
Shoulder Press (behind the head): 10, 10, 8, 6
Lateral Raises: 3x30 rep superset (I do 10 raises with 20 lbs, then 10 with 15, then 10 with 10 without rest)
Reverse Pec Deck Flys: 10, 10, 10
Front Raises: 10, 10, 10
Front Shrugs (barbell in front of me): 15, 12, 10
Back Shrugs(barbell behind me): 15, 12, 10

The Messenger
05-02-09, 1:14 pm
It's now less than a week untill i turn 20. I see this new age holding great potential and responsibility. In the 20's is supposed to be when a boy turns into a MAN. When you now are in total control of your life, for better or worse. You can become a fat lazy nothing if you want. Or, you could give it everything you have and maybe, just maybe, live to see yourself become an ANIMAL. Here's my arms day workout I just did:

Single Arm Cable Curls: 10, 10, 10
Machine Preacher Curls: 10, 10, 10
Alternating Dumbell Curls: 10, 10, 10
Barbell Preadher Curls: 10, 10, 10

Tricep Pressdowns: 20, 15, 12
One Arm Dumbell Overhead Extension: 10, 10, 10
(Supersetted with Dumbell Kickbacks: 10, 10, 10)
Machine Dips: 10, 10, 10

Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 20, 20, 20
Dumbell Forearm Extension: 10, 10, 10
Dumbell Forearm Flexion: 15, 15, 15
Dumbell Forarm Twists: 20, 20, 20
(The last one is where I take a dumbell and twist it side to side)

I might try experimenting more with rep ranges and see what effect it has. My arms are currently 18"

mritter3
05-02-09, 2:44 pm
solid arm day boy, keep it up, lots of volume here, way to kill the forearms.

The Messenger
05-05-09, 7:16 pm
Legs day. Most people shudder at the thought. Hell, half the people in the gym never even touch legs. Not the case with me. This one day is the most true measure of character and ability I have ever seen.

Squats: 10 (@ 135-warm up), 8 (@ 225), 6 (@ 295), 5 (@ 335), 3 (@ 365)
Deadlifts: 6 (@ 315-warm up), 5 (@ 405), 3 (@ 455), 2 (@535)
(normally I save deads for back day so that I will be fresh, but I won't have as much time to work out tomorrow, so I figured I'd throw them in today)
Leg Press: 10, 10, 10, 10 (starting at 4 plates on each side and adding one each time)
Leg Extension: 20, 20, 20
Standing One-legged leg curl: 10, 10, 10
Supersetted with Leg Curl: 10, 10, 10

I'm saving calves for tomorrow when I can give them the attention they deserve. I hate copping them out and always doing them after squats or deads when I'm tired.

D-Bomb
05-06-09, 3:03 pm
what the hell food and water you drinking round your parts bro? lol.... HUGE lifts going on here...keep it up...dont worry about the idiots that come round this site...they get knocked out quickly..

IRBS
05-06-09, 3:34 pm
I am a big fan of Coach Richt. He's done great things at UGA. Go Dawgs.

Hey man, I just want to throw this out there, so take it for what it's worth. If I were you and had this goal of getting a spot at a NCAA Division I, and more importantly SEC, school, I would be training specifically for that goal. I know you are looking to add size and strength, but functional strength and speed are very important. Maybe you just arent listing this part of your training here, but where is the speed work? The agility work? All the things that make or break an SEC Linebacker? I'm not saying you cant do it. Far from it. But if you have this specific goal, you need to train for it. Brian Cushing, linebacker from USC who was just drafted by the Texans...he trained up at Defranco's place with all his training aimed at making him a better linebacker.

I'm not saying there's no merit to training like a bodybuilder. There is. It adds mass and strength. However, training like a bodybuilder is not what you should be doing if your goal is to play Under the Arches and Between the Hedges. You need to improve your speed, footwork, and agility at the same time as you are increasing your size and strength. If you have added that much mass without focusing on speed and agility the entire time, I have no doubt you have lost the speed critical to make an impact on an SEC defensive squad. Remember, in the SEC, defense is king.

We had a kid that was an NCAA Div II athlete who is moving to another Div II school and was offered a partial scholarship at a Div I SEC school come train with our team a couple times. This guy is 6'6, 335lbs and moves faster than most guys who weigh 100lbs less than him. It takes size, strength and SPEED/AGILITY to have any prayer of a shot. This kid dominated through high school and the best he's been able to do so far is a medium tier Div II school and he is transferring to a top tier Div II school. It takes a hell of a lot of natural talent on top of the work ethic...but superior work ethic will get you a very long way. IMO, this kid doesnt have the work ethic and is falling back on his natural talents. That will get his college paid for, but it wont get him a Div I SEC school, thats for sure. There are a ton of factors that can attribute to sucess or failure to get onto a team, especially a team like UGA. Work your butt off, day in and day out, and guess what? It still may not be good enough.

I just wanted to point this stuff out to you. Mark Richt and his staff know a thing or two about coaching and recruiting and what it takes to build a player. Instead of disagreeing with them and using it to "fuel your fire" maybe you should take a step back and take the things that they say you need to work on and focus on those things. If you become proficient in them, then they can't knock you for it. Train for your specific goal. If it's to be a Linebacker at UGA, then train for it. If you have switched gears and want to be a Bodybuilder, then youre on the right track. Just know that training like a Bodybuilder will not get you to where you have said you want to go.

You've made great progress in the weight room, but that has to transfer onto the field if this is truely your goal. IMO you really need to look into your programming if you want a jersey.

Good luck,
IRBS

The Messenger
05-06-09, 6:18 pm
I like the stuff you have to say man, i'll take it to heart. I have been doing speed training and skill specific work on my own, I just haven't listed it here since this is a bodybuilding website. I've been noticing lately how the two sports are different even though they have many similarities. I'm trying to get that right combination on size, speed, and strencth needed to play at this level. My back and calves training session today (remeber I did deads yesterday):

Pull-Downs (In front): 20, 15, 12, 10
Pull-Downs (Behind): 15, 12, 10
Pullovers: 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 (using dumbells 60, 70, 80, 90, 100)
Machine Rows: 20, 15, 10
Dumbell Rows: 15, 12, 10, 8

Seated Calves: 35, 30, 25, 20, 15
Superset with Calves on Leg Press: 35, 30, 25, 20, 15
Standing Calves: 25, 25, 25
Superset with Standing Bodyweight Calves: 3 sets of 25 one leg, then 25 the other, then 100 with both legs

The Messenger
05-08-09, 4:45 pm
20. That's how old I turn today. I've been on this earth for two decades, yet somehow everything seems new. This is the decade where I truly become a MAN. It has to happen. No more talk about how i'm too young to accomplish my goals. It's not true. I'm ready for the responsibility that is to come. I'm back at home in Atlanta now after my second year of college. I want nothing less than a seam-splitting arms day to bring in my birthday.

Machine Curls: 20, 15, 12, 10, 8
Dumbell Curls: 10, 10, 10 (with 35's)
One Arm Mahine Curls: 10, 10, 10, 10

Overhead Machine Tricep Extensions: 20, 15, 12
Tricep Pressdowns: 15, 12, 10
Overhead Single Arm Dumbell Extensions: 10, 10, 10 (with 30's)
Tricep Kickbacks: 10, 10, 10 (with 30's)

Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 20, 20, 20
Dumbell Forearm Curls: 15, 15, 15
Dumbell Forearm Extensions: 10, 10, 10
Dumbell Forearm Twists: 20, 20, 20 (I supersetted the last 3 excersizes)

There it is. 12 sets for each part of the arm.

The Messenger
05-11-09, 10:20 am
Trained with Atlas for the first time yesterday. One of the best chest days I've had in a long time. And calves too for that matter.

Incline Bench: 10, 8, 5, 3, 3, 12 (weights went 135, 175, 205, 225, 245, 185)
Decline Bench: 10, 12, 10, 8 (135, 205, 225, 225)
Incline DB Bench: 10, 12, 12, 12 (55, 65, 65, 65)
Pec Deck Flys: 15, 15, 15
Superset with Cable Flys: 15, 15, 15

Seated Calf Raise: 5x15
Leg Press Calf Raise: 3x15 each leg
Horizontal calfs: 15, 15, 15
Then we did 10 calf raises on each step until we got up to the second floor of the gym

The Messenger
05-12-09, 10:32 am
Another training session with Atlas. This time it was back.

Barbell Rows: 15, 12, 10, 8 (weights went 135, 225, 245, 265)
Reverse Grip Pulldowns: 15, 15, 12, 10
Cable Pressdowns: 15, 10, 10, 10
Deadlifts: 10, 8, 8, 10 (135, 315, 365, and my last set i pulled 405 for 10 surprisingly easy-no straps)

Abs

C.Coronato
05-12-09, 10:33 am
Looking good in here brother.

The Messenger
05-14-09, 9:48 pm
"No pain. No pain. No pain. No pain." The famous words uttered by Rocky and his trainer, Duke, when Rocky was fighting Drago. This quote epitomizes legs day. If you even think about how bad you're feeling for one second, it's all over. You'll be no more than a pile of slop lying at the bottom of a squat rack. Today's legs session with Atlas really pushed it to the limit. I left the gym barely able to keep my legs from buckling.

Squats: 10, 10, 8, 6, 5 (135, 225, 275, 295, 335)
Leg Press: 15, 12, 10, 8 (4 plates on each side, then 6, 7, 8)
Leg Extension: 12, 12, 12, 12, 12
Superset with Leg Curl: 12, 12, 12, 12, 12

Seated Calf Raises: 15, 15, 15, 15
Superset with Horizontal Calf Raises: 15, 15, 15, 15
(I threw up about midway through calves, but I regrouped and finished the workout strong)

Abs

ATLAS64
05-16-09, 4:08 pm
"No pain. No pain. No pain. No pain." The famous words uttered by Rocky and his trainer, Duke, when Rocky was fighting Drago. This quote epitomizes legs day. If you even think about how bad you're feeling for one second, it's all over. You'll be no more than a pile of slop lying at the bottom of a squat rack. Today's legs session with Atlas really pushed it to the limit. I left the gym barely able to keep my legs from buckling.

Squats: 10, 10, 8, 6, 5 (135, 225, 275, 295, 335)
Leg Press: 15, 12, 10, 8 (4 plates on each side, then 6, 7, 8)
Leg Extension: 12, 12, 12, 12, 12
Superset with Leg Curl: 12, 12, 12, 12, 12

Seated Calf Raises: 15, 15, 15, 15
Superset with Horizontal Calf Raises: 15, 15, 15, 15
(I threw up about midway through calves, but I regrouped and finished the workout strong)

Abs

This guy is busting his ass folks keep an eye on him...Ill c u on sunday to hit chest again...in the mean time keep eating ur ass off and growing. I think the move to D-END is going to be a good fit for you bro.

Peace

ATLAS64
05-16-09, 4:20 pm
I am a big fan of Coach Richt. He's done great things at UGA. Go Dawgs.

Hey man, I just want to throw this out there, so take it for what it's worth. If I were you and had this goal of getting a spot at a NCAA Division I, and more importantly SEC, school, I would be training specifically for that goal. I know you are looking to add size and strength, but functional strength and speed are very important. Maybe you just arent listing this part of your training here, but where is the speed work? The agility work? All the things that make or break an SEC Linebacker? I'm not saying you cant do it. Far from it. But if you have this specific goal, you need to train for it. Brian Cushing, linebacker from USC who was just drafted by the Texans...he trained up at Defranco's place with all his training aimed at making him a better linebacker.

I'm not saying there's no merit to training like a bodybuilder. There is. It adds mass and strength. However, training like a bodybuilder is not what you should be doing if your goal is to play Under the Arches and Between the Hedges. You need to improve your speed, footwork, and agility at the same time as you are increasing your size and strength. If you have added that much mass without focusing on speed and agility the entire time, I have no doubt you have lost the speed critical to make an impact on an SEC defensive squad. Remember, in the SEC, defense is king.

We had a kid that was an NCAA Div II athlete who is moving to another Div II school and was offered a partial scholarship at a Div I SEC school come train with our team a couple times. This guy is 6'6, 335lbs and moves faster than most guys who weigh 100lbs less than him. It takes size, strength and SPEED/AGILITY to have any prayer of a shot. This kid dominated through high school and the best he's been able to do so far is a medium tier Div II school and he is transferring to a top tier Div II school. It takes a hell of a lot of natural talent on top of the work ethic...but superior work ethic will get you a very long way. IMO, this kid doesnt have the work ethic and is falling back on his natural talents. That will get his college paid for, but it wont get him a Div I SEC school, thats for sure. There are a ton of factors that can attribute to sucess or failure to get onto a team, especially a team like UGA. Work your butt off, day in and day out, and guess what? It still may not be good enough.

I just wanted to point this stuff out to you. Mark Richt and his staff know a thing or two about coaching and recruiting and what it takes to build a player. Instead of disagreeing with them and using it to "fuel your fire" maybe you should take a step back and take the things that they say you need to work on and focus on those things. If you become proficient in them, then they can't knock you for it. Train for your specific goal. If it's to be a Linebacker at UGA, then train for it. If you have switched gears and want to be a Bodybuilder, then youre on the right track. Just know that training like a Bodybuilder will not get you to where you have said you want to go.

You've made great progress in the weight room, but that has to transfer onto the field if this is truely your goal. IMO you really need to look into your programming if you want a jersey.

Good luck,
IRBS

One thing you should remember is Defranco really focuses on the weights to get a lot of his athletes faster and stronger...weak athletes have poor coordination and no control of their bodies. ( I know he uses the something similar to Westside which is much different from bodybuilding). You have a great point about the speed training...trust me hes doing in conjunction with the weight training. Give him credit hes covering all of the bases he needs to progress as an athlete. But if hes growing like a weed doing bodybuilding style lifting and he wasnt progressing doing the basic football training....If it aint broke dont fix it. He can do that and work on his speed.

Plus Defranco realized his athletes need to put muscle size on which is why he has his athletes do lots of reps on dynamic upper and lower days instead of speed work.

The Messenger
05-18-09, 7:40 pm
Back Day. Really focusing on adding some more mass to my frame now. Just picked up a new tub of protein over the weekend. Working on going heavier on deadlift. i'm shooting to get my max over 600 by the end of the summer

Deadlift: 10, 10, 8, 5, 5 (135, 225, 315, 405, 475)
T Bar Rows: 15, 12, 10, 8 (45, 80, 105, 130)
Close Grip Pulldowns: 15, 15, 12, 10
Pressdowns: 15, 12, 10
Cable Rows: 10, 10, 10, 10

Abs

ATLAS64
05-18-09, 11:11 pm
Back Day. Really focusing on adding some more mass to my frame now. Just picked up a new tub of protein over the weekend. Working on going heavier on deadlift. i'm shooting to get my max over 600 by the end of the summer

Deadlift: 10, 10, 8, 5, 5 (135, 225, 315, 405, 475)
T Bar Rows: 15, 12, 10, 8 (45, 80, 105, 130)
Close Grip Pulldowns: 15, 15, 12, 10
Pressdowns: 15, 12, 10
Cable Rows: 10, 10, 10, 10

Abs

Sick work out today bro we'll kill arms on wednesday

weedlewott
05-19-09, 6:15 am
I like. Consider me subbed.

The Messenger
05-20-09, 10:43 am
Yesterday I hit chest. Mine has been lagging so I really need to focus on it. Training went well, but eating was phenominal. It was one of those rare days where you just can't get enough food. Sometimes i'm stuck trying to force down meal #6, but this time my stomach was literally begging for a ninth meal before I went to bed. Those are the days where some serious gains can be made.

Bench: 10, 8, 6, 4, 10 (135, 225, 245, 255, 200)
Incline DB Bench: 10, 10, 10, 10 (50's, 60's, 70's, 80's)
Cable Flys (downward): 10, 10, 10
superset with Incline Chest Press: 10, 10, 10
Dumbell Flys: 10, 10, 10 (with 25's)
superset with pushups: 10, 10, 10

Calves

The Messenger
05-22-09, 2:23 pm
Legs day. Nothing more needs to be said.

Squats: 10, 10, 10, 8, 6, 5 (135, 225, 275, 295, 325, 350)
Hack Squats: 10, 10, 10, 10 (1 plate on each side for the first one, then 2 plates each side for the last three)
Leg Press: 10, 10, 10, 10 (4 plates each side, then 6, 7, 8)
Leg Curl: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
Leg Extension: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Standing Calf Raises: 15, 15, 15, 15
Horizontal Calf Raises: 15, 15, 15, 15
Seated Calf Raises: 15, 15, 15
One Legged Horizontal Calf Raises: 15, 15, 15

ATLAS64
05-22-09, 4:49 pm
Good work out today

C.Coronato
05-22-09, 5:32 pm
lots of volume. Good work son.

The Messenger
05-26-09, 3:09 pm
Haven't posted in a few days, but I've been getting in some great training with Atlas. Back Day. No deadlifts this time, but I'll definitely get it next week.

T-Bar Rows: 15, 12, 10, 8, 8
Pulldowns: 15, 12, 12, 12
Single Arm Machine Pulldowns: 15, 12, 10, 8
Barbell Rows: 15, 12, 12, 12
Pullovers: 15, 12, 10, 8
Lat Pressdowns: 15, 12, 10

Calves

The Messenger
05-28-09, 2:34 pm
Arms day with Atlas yesterday. Weighed in at 225 today. Feels good to be getting bigger.

Cable Curls: 15, 15, 12, 10
Tricep Pressdowns: 15, 15, 12, 10

Skullcrushers: 15, 15, 12, 8
Machine Preacher Curls: 15, 15, 12, 8

Tricep Overhead Extensions: 15, 15, 15
DB Curls 15, 12, 12

One Arm Tricep Extension Machine 15, 12, 12
One Arm Preacher Curl Machine 15, 12, 12

Forearm Curls: 20, 20, 20, 20
Forearm Extensions: 15, 15, 15, 15
Forearm Twists: 30, 30, 30, 30

Abs

NJC_Manhattan
05-28-09, 3:25 pm
I'm liking the work in here. Keep it up

The Messenger
05-30-09, 12:47 pm
Yesterday was the most testing of all days. The one where average people see you as a psycho. The one where you really find out how bad you want it deep inside. I'm talking about legs day. Left the gym feeling like death but at the same time feeling great about my training.

Squats: 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8, 12 (135, 225, 275, 295, 315, 315, 275)

Next we supersetted four things at once:

Hack Squats: 10, 10, 10, 10 (2 plates each side, 2, 2 and a 25, 2 and a 25)

Leg Press: 12, 12, 10, 8 (5 plates, 5, 6, 7)

Leg Extension:12, 12, 12, 12

Seated Leg Curl:12, 12, 12, 12

Calves:
Seated Calf Extension: 30, 30, 30

Single Leg Calf Extension: 30,30

The Messenger
06-01-09, 11:40 am
Another month begins. Hit chest with Atlas yesterday at Kennesaw since it's close to us. I didn't go too heavy cause my shoulder has been giving me problems lately.

Incline: 10, 10, 8, 8, 8 (135, 175, 185, 185, 185)
Flat: 10, 6, 6, 6 (135, 205, 205, 205)

Giant Set

Machine Incline: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
DB Flys: 15, 15, 15, 15, 15
Pullovers (with emphasis on using my chest instead of my lats obviously): 12, 12, 12, 12, 12

The Messenger
06-01-09, 4:42 pm
Back day today. My legs are still really sore from squats but it didn't hold me back. Best deadlifting day i've had in a while, maybe ever. I use a belt and chalk on deads, as always.

Deadlifts: 10, 10, 8, 5, 6 (135, 225, 315, 405, 500)
(I was intending on doing 500 for 5, but I felt pretty good so I kept going)

Giant Set

Machine Rows: 15, 15, 15
Machine Pulldowns: 12, 12, 12
DB Single Arm Rows: 10, 10, 10

Superset

Blast Strap Bodyweight Rows: 12, 12
Machine Bent Over Rows: 15, 15

Abs

NJC_Manhattan
06-01-09, 4:45 pm
Nice workouts man. Keep it up

Mizzarler
06-01-09, 11:37 pm
It was cool meeting you the other day bro....maybe you can teach me a thing or two on deads...running a clinic in here.

The Messenger
06-05-09, 4:27 pm
I haven't been near a computer for a few days, but then again that's probably a good sign. I've been consistently 225 for almost a week now. Legs day

Squats: 10, 10, 8, 5, 4, 3 (135, 225, 275, 325, 365, 390)
Leg Press: 12, 12, 12

Superset

Split Squats: 12, 12, 12
Leg Curls: 12, 12, 12

Leg Extensions: 25, 25, 25

Calves

Abs

The Messenger
06-07-09, 6:55 pm
Chest day

3 Board Press: 10, 5, 5, 5, 3 (135, 225, 245, 265, 275)
Incline DB Bench: 10, 8, 7, 6, 5 (60's, 70, 80 , 90, 100)

Superset

Machine Incline: 10, 10, 10, 5, 8
Pullovers: 10, 10, 10, 10 (75 lbs)

Calves

The Messenger
06-10-09, 2:18 pm
Had a good speed day yesterday. Mostly sprints and strides. Trained arms today with Atlas.

Floor Press: 10, 5, 5, 3, 3 (135, 185, 225, 265, 265)
Barbell Curls: 15, 12, 8, 6, 10 (45, 95, 105, 125, 95)

Superset

Tricep Pressdowns: 15, 15, 15, 15
Machine Preacher Curls: 12, 12, 12, 12

Superset

Cable Curls: 15, 12, 10
Machine Dips: 20, 20, 20

Giant Set

DB Forearm Curls: 15, 15, 15
DB Forearm Extensions: 15, 15, 15
DB Forearm Twists: 30, 30, 30

The Messenger
06-11-09, 2:42 pm
Shoulders and Traps day. Working on getting my power clean up too.

Cleans: 5, 4, 3, 1, 3 (155, 185, 225, 245, 225)
Shoulder Press (behind head): 10, 10, 10, 6 (95, 115, 135, 155)
DB Single Arm Lateral Raises: 10e, 10e, 10e, 10e
Shrugs: 10, 10, 8, 8 (225, 315, 405, 405)
Scarecrows: 12, 12, 12, 12

The Messenger
06-13-09, 3:58 pm
Best workout I've ever had yesterday. Hopefully that'll be the theme for this summer, setting new all-time highs. My 1-rep max for squats was 405 before this workout.

Squats: 10, 10, 5, 4, 3 (135, 225, 315, 365, 405)
Box Squats: 8, 8, 6, 6 (225, 275, 315, 315)

Superset

Bulgarian Split Squats: 10, 10, 10, 10 (30s, 45s, 45s, 45s)
Leg Curls: 10, 10, 10, 10

Leg Extensions: 20, 20, 20

Superset

Seated Calf Raises: 30, 30, 20
Leg Press Calf Raises: 30, 30, 20

10 Calf Raises on each step up to the second floor (there were 25 steps)

Abs

The Messenger
06-15-09, 8:03 pm
I'm visiting UGA for the day, so I lifted without Atlas for the first time in a while. Weighed 230, which was great. Back Day

Bent Over Barbell Rows: 15, 12, 10, 8, 8 (45, 135, 225, 245, 265)
Pulldowns: 20, 15, 12, 10
DB Rows: 12, 10, 8, 8
Pulldowns (Benhind Head): 20, 15, 12, 10

Abs

Vaze_06
06-15-09, 8:11 pm
i know how u feel bro.. once i didnt talk to Jarrett for a day or two... almost in depression... hehehe j-k
strong rows

The Messenger
06-17-09, 6:50 pm
Atlas and I decided to switch to a four day split for the next few weeks at least. Today was the new arms/shoulders day

Speed Bench (w/ bands): 8x3 (started with 95 and worked up to 135)
Hang Cleans: 155x5, 175x3, 195x3, 221xmiss
DB Shoulder Press: 10, 10, 8, 8, 5 (50, 65, 70, 75, 80)
Tricep Pressdowns: 8x8
Cable Curls: 8x8

Giant Set

DB Forearm Curls: 15, 15, 15
DB Forearm Extensions: 15, 15, 15
DB Forearm Twists: 30, 30, 30

Giant Set

Cable Crunches: 15, 15, 15
Machine Crunches: 20, 20, 20
Leg Raises: 15, 15, 15

Vaze_06
06-17-09, 11:57 pm
bro.. i know in speed bench u dont use heavy weights .. but come on... 95-135?! give me a break.. that aing speed bench for u. thats a warm up!... oooh shit wait, i just re-read and saw ''with bands'' ahahaha nvm... sorry! sweet session :)

The Messenger
06-19-09, 4:50 pm
Legs Today. Used knee wraps and a belt starting at 315

Box Squats: 10, 10, 5, 5, 3, 1 (135, 225, 315, 365, 405, 435)
Bulgarian Split Squats: 10, 8, 8, 8, 8 (30s, 45s, 60, 60, 60)
Leg Curls: 7x10
Leg Extensions: 30, 30, 25, 20

Leg Press Calf Raises: 30, 30, 30, 30

Vaze_06
06-19-09, 5:27 pm
nice manhood! .. i mean Work out! strong squats...

The Messenger
06-22-09, 8:14 pm
Back Day. Hit some legs too as part of our new split geared more towards powerlifting.

Speed Squat (with bands): 10x2 (225)
Deficit Deadlifts (4" block): 5, 5, 5, 3, 1 (155, 245, 335, 425, 475)

Superset

Machine Rows: 12, 10, 8, 8, 8
Face Pulls: 12, 10, 8, 8, 8

Superset

Hip Abduction: 5, 5, 5, 5
Leg Curls: 10, 10, 10, 10

Abs

The Messenger
06-24-09, 5:58 pm
Arms/Shoulders day

Speed Bench (w/ bands): 8, 6, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 (45, 95, 135, 185, 205, 225, 225, 225)
Clean: 5, 5, 3, 2, 1 (155, 205, 225, 245, 245)
DB Shoulder Press: 10, 8, 8, 8, 6 (55s, 75s, 80s, 85s, 90s)
Band Tricep Extensions: 8, 8, 8, 8
Tricep Pressdowns: 6, 6, 6, 6
Machine Preacher Curls: 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8
Forearm Curls: 10, 10, 10

ATLAS64
06-24-09, 8:39 pm
Squats Friday Yea Buddddy

The Messenger
06-27-09, 1:06 pm
Worked legs with Atlas yesterday. Tough workout; I can see myself improving.

Squats (w/ bands): 5, 5, 4, 2, 1, 1, 1 (135, 225, 275, 315, 365, 405, 435)
Leg Curls: 6x8
Barbell Step Ups: 10, 6, 6, 6 (45, 150, 150, 150)
Leg Extensions: 15, 15, 8, 8, 8

Ab Circuit

The Messenger
06-28-09, 5:03 pm
Reverse Band Bench (w/ 3 boards): 10, 5, 3, 3, 2, 1 (135, 225, 315, 335, 355, 385)
Floor Press: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 (135, 185, 225, 225, 225)
Incline Machine Bench: 8, 8, 8, 8, 8
Tricep Pressdowns: 10, 10, 9, 9, 9

Seated Calf Raises: 20, 20, 20, 20
Leg Press Calf Raises: 25, 25, 25, 25

The Messenger
06-29-09, 4:46 pm
Back Day

Speed Deadlifts (w/ bands): 8x1 (225)
Good Mornings: 10, 8, 8, 6 (95, 135, 185, 225)
Barbell Rows: 8, 8, 5 (225, 245, 275)
Leg Curls: 12, 12, 12, 12, 12
Abductor Machine: 8, 8, 8
Lat Pulldowns: 12, 10, 8, 8, 6

Abs

Vaze_06
06-29-09, 10:24 pm
bro.. the secret to a nice pair of wheels isnt by doing the abductor's machine... Heels Baby! gives the ''long leg'' effect And pair of sexy calves... no need to thank me, glad i could help =p tho dont start with the 10 inch right away.. might break a leg hehehe

seriously... nice work outs. nothing to say against your numbers lol

The Messenger
07-01-09, 5:41 pm
Arms and Shoulders day

Speed Bench (w/ bands): 8x3 (185)
Military Press: 8, 8, 5, 5, 5 (135, 155, 185, 185, 185)
Tricep Pressdowns: 6x10
DB Curls: 4x8 (35s)

Seated Calf Raises: 10, 10, 10, 10
Leg Press Calf Raises: 20, 20, 20, 15

The Messenger
07-02-09, 1:46 pm
Today I saw something that really saddened me. When I was out of the house, a rare occurance for me this summer except for when i'm at the gym, I began observing people as they walked by me. I saw some kids my age, mostly bone thin, socializing with each other. I saw a lot of older people, almost all sporting some kind of belly, usually eating some variety of unhealthy food while sipping on a coke. I'm never going to make fun of how other people look, because that's not the kind of guy I am, but seeing how little these people cared about their bodies. I'm not saying everyone should be a bodybuilder, far from it. But most people really do put absolute crap in their bodies without even thinking about it.

Most people are not like me. Most people's life goal isn't to get so big and strong that they make Godzilla look like the Geico gecko. Every now and then a guy like that will come along, and it's a great occurance. I'm training with a guy like that right now. I'm talking about guys that do not hold themselves to the same standards the rest of the human race does. Guys who will do anything to accomplish their dreams.

And then it hit me. I've heard before that this world is split into the have and have-nots. Wrong. I say it's split into the WANT and want-nots. Most people don't WANT to be great. Most people are afraid to stick out. They don't want other people to criticize them. Well i'm here to tell them that I don't care what they think.

WANT vs. want-not. Wonder who wins that one. The guys who WANT it bad enough to put in the work always win. This applies to a lot more than just bodybuilding. The WANTS are like Godzilla on the inside. The want-nots are like that little gecko. Which one are you?

Mizzarler
07-02-09, 11:27 pm
Today I saw something that really saddened me. When I was out of the house, a rare occurance for me this summer except for when i'm at the gym, I began observing people as they walked by me. I saw some kids my age, mostly bone thin, socializing with each other. I saw a lot of older people, almost all sporting some kind of belly, usually eating some variety of unhealthy food while sipping on a coke. I'm never going to make fun of how other people look, because that's not the kind of guy I am, but seeing how little these people cared about their bodies. I'm not saying everyone should be a bodybuilder, far from it. But most people really do put absolute crap in their bodies without even thinking about it.

Most people are not like me. Most people's life goal isn't to get so big and strong that they make Godzilla look like the Geico gecko. Every now and then a guy like that will come along, and it's a great occurance. I'm training with a guy like that right now. I'm talking about guys that do not hold themselves to the same standards the rest of the human race does. Guys who will do anything to accomplish their dreams.

And then it hit me. I've heard before that this world is split into the have and have-nots. Wrong. I say it's split into the WANT and want-nots. Most people don't WANT to be great. Most people are afraid to stick out. They don't want other people to criticize them. Well i'm here to tell them that I don't care what they think.

WANT vs. want-not. Wonder who wins that one. The guys who WANT it bad enough to put in the work always win. This applies to a lot more than just bodybuilding. The WANTS are like Godzilla on the inside. The want-nots are like that little gecko. Which one are you?

Great post

The Messenger
07-03-09, 4:06 pm
Continuing my string of great workouts today. Possibly my best legs day ever. I weighed 238; I've put on 20 pounds since I came home for the summer on May 7th.

Squats: 10, 8, 5, 5, 5 (135, 225, 315, 365, 405)
Leg Press: 10, 10, 8, 6 (5 plates per side, 7 pps, 8 pps, 9 pps)
Leg Extensions: 20, 20, 20

Abs

The Messenger
07-05-09, 3:21 pm
Chest Day today. Weighed 240.

Incline Bench: 10, 5, 5, 3, 3 (135, 185, 205, 225, 250)
Pin Press (w/ bands): 3, 3, 3, 3 (135, 185, 185, 185)
DB Bench: 8, 8, 6, 6 (60s, 75s, 90s, 105s)
Tricep Pressdowns: 7x8

Calf Extensions: 5x15
Seated Calf Raises: 3x15

ATLAS64
07-05-09, 3:43 pm

I agree with MIZZ great fucking post

The Messenger
07-06-09, 4:14 pm
Back Day. Did some light squats for reps too.

Squats: 3x12 (225)
Speed Deadlifts: 7x1 (315)
Bent Over Rows: 8, 8, 5 (225, 245, 275)
Leg Curls: 3x15
Lat Pulldowns: 15, 12, 10, 8

Abs

The Messenger
07-08-09, 7:53 pm
Arms and Shoulders

Speed Bench: 8x3 (225)
Military Press: 3x5 (185)
Tricep Pressdowns: 8x8
Barbell Curls: 4x10

Leg Press Calf Raises: 6x8
Seated Calf Raises: 3x20

The Messenger
07-11-09, 9:25 pm
Hit legs yesterday. It was the heaviest I've ever gone on squats.

Squats: 10, 8, 5, 3, 2 (135, 225, 315, 405, 450)

Superset

Abductors: 3x15
Leg Extensions: 3x15

Abs

Vaze_06
07-12-09, 11:52 am
nice sessions Fatass =)

The Messenger
07-12-09, 4:20 pm
Chest Day. Benched more weight than I ever have before.

Bench: 10, 3, 3, 3, 1 (135, 225, 255, 275, 315)
Floor Press: 3x5 (225)
Incline DB Bench: 10, 10, 10, 10 (60s, 75, 80, 85)
Tricep Pressdowns: 5x10
DB Front Shoulder Raises: 10, 10, 10 (20s, 25, 30)

Calves

The Messenger
07-13-09, 4:11 pm
Back Day. Could have definitely done more on rack pulls but ran out of room on the bar since the plates were thick.

Rack Pulls (from about knee level): 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 (135, 225, 315, 405, 495, 545)
Good Mornings: 8, 8, 8 (135, 185, 225)
Barbell Rows: 10, 8 (225, 245)
Leg Curls: 3x10
Bulgarian Split Squats: 12, 12 (30s)
Pulldowns: 3x10

Abs

The Messenger
07-16-09, 6:11 pm
Shoulders and Arms day yesterday. My split has changed some lately, trying to mix it up to insure I keep growing.

225 Bench Rep Out: 16 reps
Power Cleans: 5, 5, 4, 3 (155, 185, 205, 225)
Push Press: 3x5 (135)

Superset

DB Hammer Curls: 12, 12, 12 (40s)
Band Tricep Extensions: 12, 12, 12

Calves

The Messenger
07-18-09, 3:00 pm
Legs Yesterday. Needed a little help on the last set of box squats.

Box Squats: 10, 8, 5, 5, 5 (135, 225, 315, 365, 425)
Leg Curls: 5x10

Superset

Abductors: 3x10
Leg Extensions: 3x20

Abs

The Messenger
07-19-09, 5:06 pm
Chest/Upper Body Day

Bench: 10, 5, 5, 5, 3 (135, 225, 255, 275, 295)
DB Incline Bench: 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 (80s, 90s, 90, 90, 100)
Trisep Pressdowns: 3x12
DB Front Shoulder Raises: 8, 8, 8 (20s, 25, 30)

ATLAS64
07-19-09, 5:11 pm
Chest/Upper Body Day

Bench: 10, 5, 5, 5, 3 (135, 225, 255, 275, 295)
DB Incline Bench: 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 (80s, 90s, 90, 90, 100)
Trisep Pressdowns: 3x12
DB Front Shoulder Raises: 8, 8, 8 (20s, 25, 30)

His last set of 3 was actually with 300lbs not 295lbs. BAMF

Mizzarler
07-19-09, 8:24 pm
Your deadlift is RETARDED

The Messenger
07-24-09, 6:40 pm
Legs Day. Starting a new routine. First session was really easy.

Squats: 2x10 (295)

Giant Set

Leg Curls: 10, 10, 10
Leg Extensions: 15, 15, 15
Abductors: 15, 15, 15

Abs

The Messenger
07-26-09, 4:15 pm
Chest Day

Bench: 2x10 (230)
Close Grip: 2x10 (205)
Incline: 2x10 (190)

Calves

The Messenger
07-27-09, 4:23 pm
Back day. Deadlifts were supposed to be light today.

Deadlifts: 465x2
Speed Deadlifts: 8x3 (370)

Giant Set

Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 3x8
Barbell Rows: 3x8
Reverse Grip Pulldowns: 3x8
Good Mornings: 3x8

Abs

The Messenger
07-30-09, 6:56 pm
Bench Assistance Day. The program calls for really light bench today, so I just went with it.

Bench: 2x10 (195)
DB Shoulder Press: 2x5 (90s)
Tricep Pressdowns: 4x8
Machine Preacher Curls: 4x12
DB Shoulder Front Raises: 3x8

The Messenger
07-31-09, 5:22 pm
Legs Day. Went with Atlas and Mizz to Coffee's, an olympic style gym. Liked it a lot.

Squats: 2x10 (295)
Leg Extensions: 3x12

C.Coronato
07-31-09, 5:24 pm
Nice bro, simple and effective. Perfect. Keep it going brother.

Mizzarler
07-31-09, 5:26 pm
Awesome workout today man.

BigAnt
07-31-09, 8:17 pm
very solid workouts day in and day out...keep going strong!

Vaze_06
08-02-09, 10:11 pm
nice sessions bro. how have u been?

The Messenger
08-09-09, 4:46 pm
I was at the beach last week so I wasn't able to post my workouts, but they went fairly well. Chest Day

Bench: 8, 8 (245, 245)
Close Grip: 8, 8 (215, 215)
Incline: 8, 8 (200, 200)

Mizzarler
08-09-09, 4:47 pm
The freak will be unleashed tommorrow.

The Messenger
08-13-09, 9:38 am
Been away from the computer for a few days again. I just moved back to school for the start of my junior year. My last two workouts:

Back Day

Deadlifts: 1x2 (525)
Speed Deadlifts: 3x3 (375)
Good Mornings: 3x8 (135)
Barbell Rows: 3x8 (225)
Lat Pulldowns: 3x8

3 Tire Flip races with Atlas and Mizz out back of the gym

Bench Assistance Day

Light Bench: 2x10 (205)
Military Press: 2x5 (185)
DB Curls: 4x12 (35s)
Tricep Pressdowns: 4x10
DB Lateral Raises: 3x10 (22.5s)
DB Forearm Curls: 3x15 (30s)

Calves

T o m m Y
08-13-09, 9:44 am
Strong deads brotha..
Good work going on in here..

The Messenger
08-14-09, 7:23 pm
Threshold. Machine defines it well. It's the moment where your body and everyone around you is telling you to quit. Do you act like a good little boy and listen, or do you dig deep and fight back for everything you're worth? It's somewhere, in that moment, that you will find yourself. Not on some test score, not on some date, not at your job. Heck, everyone feels great when things are going their way. It's the same thing with babies all the way up to your grandma. People love feeling like their world is safe. Well guess what? It ain't like that in the squat rack. You could be either a celebrity or a janitor and that weight will try to crush you just the same. No amount of money or fame can save you. Just you and the plates. As you unrack it, what goes through your head? If it's anything but "I'm gonna absolutely destroy this," you've already lost. And don't even get me started on those quarter-squats people do today and convince themselves they were doing it right. You sink down till your hips are below your knees or you're wasting your time, simple as that. Its that moment, the one where you literally hit rock bottom in your squat, that you come alive. That's the real you.

Today exemplified that for me. As I fought and strained to finish my set, I heard my training partner yell, "Dude, you're freaking bleeding." I did the last few reps and racked the weight, deaf to all else around me. As I looked in the mirror, I saw that the skin on my neck had ripped open and was bleeding freely. I had been straining so hard my skin had burst apparently. I have honestly never even heard of that happening before. Behind me, a boy dropped his dumbells that he was curling and ran away as if he had seen a ghost. And I couldn't care less. All that mattered was that I got the weight. One of my friends came up to me and told me I should see a doctor. "Forget that, I still have another set to do," was all I could think. Who cares what some doctor would say about it. He'd probably tell me i'm sick in the head and to take some time off. I say i'm just doing my job. Nobody's opinion matters but mine. Everytime I step into that gym I see it as a war between me and gravity.

Squats: 2x8 (330)
Leg Curls: 3x12
Leg Extensions: 3x15

Abs

The Messenger
08-17-09, 10:52 pm
First day of class for the year. But that's not nearly as exciting as the fact that it's back day. A great workout for me. I felt more alive than I ever have in my whole life during those deadlifts. It was a powerful feeling, having that much weight in my bare hands and coming out victorious.

Deadlifts: 1x2 (560)
Barbell Rows: 3x10 (225)
Lat Pulldowns: 3x15
DB Pullovers: 8, 8, 8 (85, 95, 105)

Abs

ATLAS64
08-18-09, 5:04 pm
First day of class for the year. But that's not nearly as exciting as the fact that it's back day. A great workout for me. I felt more alive than I ever have in my whole life during those deadlifts. It was a powerful feeling, having that much weight in my bare hands and coming out victorious.

Barbell Rows: 3x10 (225)
DB Pullovers: 8, 8, 8 (85, 95, 105)

Abs

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK

T o m m Y
08-18-09, 8:12 pm
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK

x2!!

The Messenger
08-19-09, 7:47 pm
Shoulder/Arms day. I'm working in cleans too.

Power Cleans: 5, 5, 5 (185, 205, 225)
DB Shoulder Press: 2x5 (95s)
Barbell Curls: 8, 8, 8 (85, 95, 95)
DB Tricep Extensions: 10, 10, 10 (30)
Shoulder Press/Upright Row Combo: 2x10

DB Forearm Curls: 3x15
DB Forearm Extensions: 3x15

Donkey Calf Raises: 3x25

ATLAS64
08-19-09, 7:58 pm
NIce work

The Messenger
08-25-09, 2:42 pm
Haven't recorded my last couple workouts, but they've been going well. Light Deadlift day today . The program i'm on (Coan/Phillippi) has me pyramiding up from here on out. Lokking forward to it. For future reference, I always do all my lifts RAW. No fancy contraptions helping me get the weight. I'm not trying to boost my ego with inflated numbers, I wanna see what I can do by myself. Just me and the weight. That's the way it should be.

Deadlifts: 3x3 (500) (Were VERY easy, I should be putting up some good numbers in the weeks to come)
Shrugs: 3x5 (340)
Barbell Rows: 3x5 (255)

ATLAS64
08-25-09, 3:03 pm
Haven't recorded my last couple workouts, but they've been going well. Light Deadlift day today . The program i'm on (Coan/Phillippi) has me pyramiding up from here on out. Lokking forward to it. For future reference, I always do all my lifts RAW. No fancy contraptions helping me get the weight. I'm not trying to boost my ego with inflated numbers, I wanna see what I can do by myself. Just me and the weight. That's the way it should be.

Deadlifts: 3x3 (500) (Were VERY easy, I should be putting up some good numbers in the weeks to come)
Shrugs: 3x5 (340)

Ur GROSSSSSSSSSSSSS at deads nuff said

The Messenger
08-26-09, 10:36 pm
Power Cleans: 4, 4 (225, 240)
DB Military Press: 5, 5 (95s)
DB Preacher Curls: 4x10 (40)
Reverse Barbell Curls: 3x15 (45)

Donkey Calf Raises: 2x25
Seated Calf Raises: 2x25

The Messenger
08-28-09, 8:59 pm
Legs Day. Best Day of the week.

Squats: 5, 5 (365, 365)
Leg Press: 3x10
Leg Extensions: 3x12

Abs

ATLAS64
08-28-09, 8:59 pm
Power Cleans: 4, 4 (225, 240)
DB Military Press: 5, 5 (95s)
DB Preacher Curls: 4x10 (40)
Reverse Barbell Curls: 3x15 (45)

Donkey Calf Raises: 2x25
Seated Calf Raises: 2x25

Your power cleans have improved good job man.

The Messenger
08-31-09, 11:00 am
Lifted Chest yesterday

Bench: 5, 5 (280, 280)
Close Grip: 5, 5 (250, 250)
Incline: 5, 5 (230, 230)

Calves

The Messenger
08-31-09, 9:22 pm
Society never ceases to amaze me. Today I had to take some personality test for a class. Needless to say every question was ridiculous. I don't care if other people think i'm fashionable, I don't want to spend a year abroad, I don't consider myself trendy, and i'm not obsessed with money. Each question only asked about the most vain, empty parts of a person's life. Serious questions like, "what is your main objective while you are on this earth?" were nowhere to be found. Nobody asked how committed I was to bettering myself everyday. You know why? Normal people don't care about that stuff like we do. Only an ANIMAL seizes life like the precious resource it is. There is no personality type on this test that reads, "you are probably a monstrous freak who's sole objective in life is to get as big and strong as possible and crush everything in your path." It would be too hard to explain to everyone anyway. They would probably freak out. Instead i'll just laugh and pretend like I care about what some test tells me I should do.

Deadlifts: 1x2 (530)
Shrugs: 3x5 (365)
Barbell Rows: 3x5 (275)
Good Mornings: 3x5 (185)

The Messenger
09-02-09, 1:58 pm
Fads. They're all over the place. Everyone is looking for some cheap trick to believe in. They want some gimmick that will justift cutting corners in the hopes that they might see some results. And you know what? They are lying to themselves. I got an email recently that was sent to some of my friends about some "great new workout plan." The guy who sent it, a friend of mine, said he had experienced "great improvement in his health and physique." Well if thats true, I would hate to see what he used to be like. He somehow manages to be incredibly skinny and have a beer gut at the same time. I'm not making fun of anyone, just don't pawn your workout off on me as the next big thing when I'm obviously not interested. Not only that but the next time I saw him in person, he seriously asks me when I'm gonna start his workout with him. He gives me this speech about how it will only cost $275 for the semester. Why would I spend that money when I've already got a good gym to work out at for free? I'm not gonna pay somebody to waste my time. Save it for someone who isn't an ANIMAL.

The Messenger
09-04-09, 11:57 am
Great legs day today. I've been fairly sick the last few days, and wasn't feeling too great when I entered the gym. Nothing was going to stop me though. I did my warm up sets and proceeded to throw up in the trash can by the water fountain. Next set I put my belt on and immediately threw up again. I finally ditched the belt and started my working sets. The weight went up real easy, I don't know why my body was trying to bitch out on me. Too bad I won't let it.

Squats: 5, 5 (380, 380)
Leg Extensions: 3x10

Abs

Mizzarler
09-04-09, 6:56 pm
Sick work Candler. DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!

The Messenger
09-08-09, 8:51 pm
Back Day. Deadlifts were easy again. Look for a HUGE back day next week.

Deadlifts: 1x2 (565)
Shrugs: 3x5 (385)
Lat Pulldowns: 3x10

Abs

The Messenger
09-10-09, 11:00 am
Shoulders and Arms yesterday. I weighed out at 246.2. That mean i've officially gained MORE THAN 100 POUNDS in LESS THAN 2 YEARS. Not many strength athletes have done that, especially while staying lean like I have. This is just a start though. As far as i'm concerned, i'm a skinny little kid compared to what I will become.

Cleans: 1x2 (245)
DB Shoulder Press: 5, 5 (95s, 105s)
Machine Preacher Curls: 4x10

Forearms
Calves

The Messenger
09-11-09, 9:13 pm
GREAT legs day today. Atlas is visiting; he added to the intensity as always. I threw up again and pushed so hard I had quite a headache, but got it as always. Best feeling in the world.

Squats: 5, 5 (395, 395)

Abs

The Messenger
09-14-09, 6:53 pm
Back Day. Got my first man lift. Deadlifting 600 felt pretty good, not gonna lie.

Deadlifts: 600x1
Lat Pulldowns: 15, 12, 10, 10
Shrugs: 3x8 (365)
DB Standing Rows: 3x8 (50's)

Abs

The Messenger
09-20-09, 11:08 pm
Haven't posted in a few days, but workouts have been going well. Chest earlier today.

Bench: 2x3 (295)
Close Grip: 2x3 (265)
Incline: 2x3 (245)

mcbeast
09-20-09, 11:44 pm
Sick work on the deadlift. What were you warming up with prior to the 600?

The Messenger
09-22-09, 10:54 am
I don't normally post warm-ups but for deads I do some reps with 225, then 315, then 405, then 495 for warm-ups.

No lift. The words we all hate hearing, and I had to hear it today. I was maxing out, going for 620, but could not pull it out this time. I got it off the florr and just below my knees and kept struggling for at least 5 seconds there, but I was not successful. It's happened to everyone at some point. Sure, i'm mad that I missed it, but I know I can learn from this and come back stronger than ever. I look forward to dominating that weight before the end of my next 10 week routine.

Deadlifts: 620xmiss
Shrugs: 3x8 (365)

The Messenger
09-23-09, 8:55 pm
Shoulders and Arms day

DB Shoulder Press: 5, 5, 5, 4 (60s, 80s, 90s, 105s)
Barbell Curls: 2x10 (95)
Machine Curls: 2x10
Weighted Dip Machine: 4x10
DB Lateral Raises: 3x12 (20s)

Forearms

Calves

The Messenger
09-27-09, 12:02 pm
Hit Legs two days ago. GREAT workout, I've never puked so much in the gym in my life. New PR for a set of three on squats.

Squats: 1x3 (430)
Standing Leg Curls: 3x10e

Abs

T o m m Y
09-27-09, 12:43 pm
Strong....

The Messenger
09-28-09, 9:27 am
Chest yesterday. Best chest day i've had in a while now.

Bench: 2x2 (305)
Close Grip: 2, 2 (275, 285)
Incline: 2x2 (245)

Calves

The Messenger
09-30-09, 7:48 pm
Shoulders and Arms

Cleans: 2x5 (205)
Military Press: 3x5 (175)
Reverse DB Flyes: 3x10 (20s)
DB Hammer Curls: 2x10 (40s)
DB Preacher Curls: 2x10 (40s)
DB Tricep Kickbacks: 2x10 (35s)
Tricep Pressdowns: 2x10

Giant Set

DB Forearm Curls: 2x10 (40s)
DB Forearm Extensions: 2x10 (17.5s)
DB Forearm Twists: 2x30 (17.5s)

Superset

Donkey Calf Raises: 3x25
Seated Calf Raises: 3x25

ATLAS64
09-30-09, 10:00 pm
Hit Legs two days ago. GREAT workout, I've never puked so much in the gym in my life. New PR for a set of three on squats.

Squats: 1x3 (430)
Standing Leg Curls: 3x10e

Abs

Great new PR. Huge improvement from earlier this summer. Start mixing up some of your accessory work.

The Messenger
10-04-09, 8:10 pm
Haven't posted in a few days, but i've been getting after it. Chest Day. Needed a little help on my last close grip set.

Bench: 2x1 (315)
Close Grip: 2x2 (295)
Incline: 2x2 (245)

Calves

The Messenger
10-05-09, 9:00 pm
Back Day

Pull-Ups: 4x10
DB Rows: 3x10e (100)
DB Pullovers: 3x10 (85)

Forearms

Abs

ATLAS64
10-06-09, 8:47 pm
Back Day

Pull-Ups: 4x10
DB Rows: 3x10e (100)

Forearms

Abs

Like i always say...GROSSS deads

The Messenger
10-08-09, 10:08 am
Shoulders and Arms from yesterday

Cleans: 2x3 (225)
DB Military Press: 3x8 (85s)
Seated DB Curls: 4x10 (35s)
Skull Crushers: 4x10 (90)

Calves

The Messenger
10-09-09, 9:11 pm
Two months from today is the Strongest Dawg powerlifting competition at UGA. Last year I won the 220 weight class and had the gighest deadlift in the entire competition. Gotta take it to the next level this year. Legs day. Through in DB Leg Curls for the first time after hearing G Diesel describe them. Gotta say, I loved the burn I got from it. Those are gonna be a staple from now on in my arsenal.

Squats: 10, 10, 5, 5 (135, 225, 335, 365)
Leg Press: 10, 10, 10, 10 (4pps, 5, 6, 7)
DB Leg Curls: 4x10 (20)

Barbell Forearm Curls (behind the back): 3x25 (65)

Abs

The Messenger
10-12-09, 6:47 pm
Finished maxing at the end of my training routine. The most I got were 325 Bench, 430 Squat, and 600 Deadlift. I got 430 for 3 on squat but I couldn't get it when I went heavier. Next time i'll get my head right and get that weight. Back today.

Lat Pulldowns: 4x10

Forearms

Abs

T o m m Y
10-12-09, 6:53 pm
Strong deads dude..

ATLAS64
10-12-09, 9:08 pm
Finished maxing at the end of my training routine. The most I got were 325 Bench, 430 Squat, and 600 Deadlift. I got 430 for 3 on squat but I couldn't get it when I went heavier. Next time i'll get my head right and get that weight. Back today.

Forearms

Abs

Great pulling as always

The Messenger
10-15-09, 10:54 am
Shoulders and Arms yesterday.

Cleans: 2x3 (235)
DB Front Raises: 3x10 (25s)
Seated DB Curls: 4x10 (35s)

Calves

The Messenger
10-18-09, 8:34 pm
Chest Day

DB Bench: 8, 8, 5, 5, 5 (65s, 90s, 110s, 125s, 125s)
Decline Bench: 10, 8, 5, 5 (135, 225, 265, 265)
DB Incline Flyes: 3x10 (25s)
Machine Flyes: 3x10

Calves

The Messenger
10-20-09, 11:00 am
Back/Legs Assistance Day from yesterday

Barbell Rows: 10, 8, 5, 5 (135, 225, 275, 275)
Wide Grip Cable Rows: 4x10
Leg Press: 10, 10, 10, 10 (5pps, 6, 7, 8)

Forearms

Vaze_06
10-20-09, 12:14 pm
nice session bro

The Messenger
10-23-09, 5:16 pm
Max Effort Lower Body Day. I was going for a set of 2 on deads but failed on the second one. I'm confident that I'll destroy it next time.

Squats: 5, 5, 5, 5 (135, 225, 315, 365)
Deadlifts: 1x1 (595)

Forearms

Abs

The Messenger
10-26-09, 9:05 am
Hit Chest yesterday with Atlas back home in Atlanta.

Bench: 2x5 (275)
Close Grip: 2x5 (245)
Incline: 2x5 (215)

Calves

The Messenger
10-27-09, 9:35 am
Legs/Back Accessory Day from yesterday.

Leg Press: 10, 10, 10, 10 (6pps, 7, 8, 9)
DB Leg Curls: 3x10 (25)
Barbell Rows: 3x8 (205)

Forearms

The Messenger
10-29-09, 1:28 pm
Bench Assistance Day from yesterday

Bench (225 rep out): 18 reps
Military Press: 2x5 (175)
Reverse Machine Flyes: 3x10
DB Curls: 4x10

Calves

The Messenger
10-29-09, 1:29 pm
Max Effort Lower Body Day

Squats: 10, 10, 5, 5 (135, 225, 355, 385)

Forearms

Abs

The Messenger
11-02-09, 9:24 am
Chest Day from yesterday

Bench: 3, 3 (295, 305)
DB Incline: 5, 5 (105s, 115s)
Cable Flyes: 4x10 (2 sets up, 2 sets down)

Calves

D-Bomb
11-02-09, 9:54 am
crazy fucking strong on those deadlifts man!! bench is looking sweet too!

The Messenger
11-02-09, 5:52 pm
Back/Legs Accessory Day

DB Rows: 3x10 (110s)
DB Pullovers: 3x8 (100)
Leg Press: 10, 10, 10 (6pps, 7, 8)

Abs
Forearms

The Messenger
11-04-09, 10:37 pm
Bench Assistance Day

Bench: 225 rep out (18 reps)
DB Military Press: 2x5 (90s)
DB Front Raises: 3x10 (30s)
Barbell Curls: 3x10 (95)
Tricep Pressdowns: 3x10

Calves

The Messenger
11-09-09, 5:26 pm
Chest from yesterday

Bench: 2x5 (285)
Incline: 5, 5 (215, 225)

Calves

The Messenger
11-09-09, 5:28 pm
Legs/Back Assistance Day from today

Leg Press: 10, 10, 10 (6pps, 7, 8)
Pull-Ups: 3x10
Machine Rows: 3x10

Forearms

Abs

The Messenger
11-11-09, 9:06 pm
Bench Assistance Day

Bench: 225 rep-out (18 reps)
DB Side Raises: 3x10 (22.5s)
DB Curls: 3x10 (35s)
DB Kickbacks: 3x10 (30s)

Calves

The Messenger
11-16-09, 11:05 am
Chest Day from yesterday

Bench: 2x3 (305)
Incline DB Bench: 5, 5 (105s, 110s)
Cable Fyles: 4x10

Calves

The Messenger
11-19-09, 5:35 pm
Max Effort Lower Body Day

Squats: 5, 4 (385, 405)
Deadlifts: 1x3 (535)

Abs

Forearms

The Messenger
11-30-09, 5:41 pm
Its been a while since i've posted, I was at home for Thanksgiving break. Trained with Atlas for the week, got in some good lifts. Now i'm focused on the Strongest Dawg, a powerlifting competition at UGA thats on December 9th. I practiced pausing my reps on bench today and worked up to a single at 295.

The Messenger
12-02-09, 3:55 pm
One week till the competition. Light Shoulders and Arms today.

Military Press: 3x10 (135)
DB Lateral Raises: 3x10 (20s)
Tricep Kickbacks: 3x10 (30s)

The Messenger
12-10-09, 10:10 pm
Strongest Dawg was yesterday. I did not have my best day. I had a disappointing day on squats, set my pr on bench, and missed my big attempt on deadlift. I won my weight class for the second year in a row, however. I was in the 245 class.

Squat: 405 (missed 425-i've gotten that before, no excuses, I messed up)
Bench: 300 (pr for pausing)
Deadlift: 565 (missed 605, i got it up to the bottom of my knees but couldn't finish, i've gotten 600 before)

Glad I won my weight, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

D-Bomb
12-11-09, 12:38 am
wow dude, some very strong numbers! and that deadlift is on a rocket ship to the fucking end of the universe!...too bad you didnt hit your top numbers but your still the best of your weight group! which means something :)

The Messenger
12-13-09, 7:54 pm
Chest Today. Working on taking it to the next level right now.

Bench: warm-up, 5, 5 (255, 275)
Incline DB Bench: 5, 4 (105s, 115s)
DB Incline Flyes: 3x8 (30s)

Calves

The Messenger
12-17-09, 2:54 pm
Home for Christmas break now. Back Day at my old high school, Westminster. The last excersize is one the Hybrid showed me, seems to work well, so I throw it in sometimes.

Barbell Rows: 8, 6, 5 (225, 245, 265)
Standing DB Rows: 3x10 (40s)

Forearms

The Messenger
12-19-09, 2:23 pm
Legs from yesterday. Didn't have a spotter so I had a deload day.

Squats: 10, 10, 10, 5 (135, 225, 275, 315)

The Messenger
12-28-09, 2:54 pm
Been training hard lately, just haven't been near a computer. Back day (threw in cleans as well).

Cleans: 5, 4, 3 (155, 199, 221)
Standing DB Rows: 3x10 (45s)

Abs
Forearms

The Messenger
12-30-09, 5:25 pm
Shoulders and Arms

DB Military Press: warm up, 5, 5 (85s, 95s)
DB Kickbacks: 3x10 (30s)

Calves

The Messenger
01-02-10, 2:45 pm
First workout of the new year. My best leg day in a while.

Squats: warm-up, 5, 3 (365, 405)

Abs Forearms

The Messenger
01-04-10, 7:05 pm
Chest with Atlas at my old hish school.

Bench: warm-up, 5, 5 (250, 285)
Incline: 5, 5, 3 (190, 225, 245)

Calves

The Messenger
01-08-10, 10:44 am
Back day from yesterday. I had to walk to the gym in the snow

Deadlifts: warm-up, 1x3 (545)
Standing DB Rows: 3x10 (40s)
DB Pullovers: 3x8 (75)

D-Bomb
01-08-10, 12:02 pm
Your deadlift is amazing dude! Are your hands like dinner plates? haha

The Messenger
01-09-10, 1:09 pm
Light Shoulders and Arms today. I threw in a 225 rep out test for Bench since we have a combine in less than 2 months. Football team workouts start back on the 19th. I'm changing to defensive end, weighing around 245 now.

225 rep out: 18 reps
Military Press: 3x8 (135)
DB Reverse Flyes: 3x10 (20s)
Curl Machine: 3x10
Tricep Extension Machine: 3x10

The Messenger
01-13-10, 8:35 am
Chest from my last workout. It was by far my best chest day ever.

Bench: warm up, 3, 3 (295, 315)
DB Incline: warm up, 5, 4 (115s, 120s)

Calves

The Messenger
01-14-10, 11:16 pm
Today I weighed out at 250.3. That's the first time i've ever been more than 250. That's a huge milestone for me, starting college at a mere 145 and already being over 250 midway through my junior year. As always, progress can and will be made. I am not satisfied, nor will I ever be as long as i'm alive. I must get bigger, stronger. That is the quest of the ANIMAL, the journey of a MAN. I'm glad I figured out what I want to do and how to get there at a young age. I may be only 20, but through my experiences with powerlifting, bodybuilding, and football in college, I have learned more about myself than most people do in their life. I want to inspire others to reach their full potential as well. I want to lead like King Leonidas did in "300," as only a MAN can lead.

The Messenger
01-21-10, 6:16 pm
We started team workouts for football yesterday. They're going pretty well. We have mat drills beginning in 13 days, I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

The Messenger
01-25-10, 10:17 am
Today was an upper body day for team lifts. My group lifts at 6:30 every morning and consits of walk-ons for the time being. Today was my best lift since we started team workouts by far. And not only that, but my conditioning is good and improving at a fast rate. After lifting we went outside and ran laps around the field. I'm really pushing it and keeping up with receivers and corners more than 50 pounds smaller than me.

The Messenger
02-16-10, 5:04 pm
Its been a while since I've posted, but that's because I've been busy. We've been having team workouts three days a week and mat drills two days. Mat drills are intense conditioning and speed work we do at 5:30 in the morning during the month of february. The switch to defensive end looks to be a smart one for me, our defense has changed to a 3-4 this season and we need big DE's who can hold their own while playing on the inside. We have three weeks left of mat drills and then a week off before we start spring practice.

The Messenger
03-01-10, 7:24 pm
Today was our next to last day of mat drills. We start spring practice on thursday, and I couldn't be more ready to go. This is about a whole lot more than football for me. This is me taking control of my dream and my life. This is me saying f*** anything and anyone who tries to get in my way. I am a MAN and I take what I want. I don't care that I don't have a scholarship, I don't care if some website wouldn't even rate me as a player, I don't care if the odds are stacked against me. In fact, I prefer it that way. Thats the only battle i've known since i began chasing down my dream. To think that two and a half years ago I was a 145 pound kid with bulimia is incredible. Right now I stand a fairly lean 250, and I will only get bigger and stronger from here. That is a promise. I'm a man of my word.

The Messenger
03-16-10, 11:09 am
Today is our second practice. The first went well, I was third string and got to rotate in at DE during our team period. We had a week off to recover for spring break, now its time to get back to business. Attacking it the way only an ANIMAL can.

The Messenger
03-29-10, 9:24 pm
We've had eight of our fifteen spring practices so far. I've been improving a lot. Last saturday we had a scrimmage and i only got in four plays but I made a nice tackle. I'm excited about the spring game we have coming up. We had workouts today as a defense and what I saw just sometimes amazes me. I see a relaxed and nonchalant attidude and guys skipping reps and sets. This is where the powerlifter in me gets enraged. Why would anyone cheat themself out of getting better? Why do most football teams not realize the incredible values of size and strength? Why is squatting below parellel almost a lost cause these days?

Well rest assured, I see these things and I do not forget them. I am an ANIMAL whether or not my teammates want to join me. I have worked too hard for too long to get pushed into some conformist group set on regressing in the weight room. I may only be 20 years old but I am a MAN and I take what I want. Thats the only way I know.

Mizzarler
03-29-10, 11:45 pm
We've had eight of our fifteen spring practices so far. I've been improving a lot. Last saturday we had a scrimmage and i only got in four plays but I made a nice tackle. I'm excited about the spring game we have coming up. We had workouts today as a defense and what I saw just sometimes amazes me. I see a relaxed and nonchalant attidude and guys skipping reps and sets. This is where the powerlifter in me gets enraged. Why would anyone cheat themself out of getting better? Why do most football teams not realize the incredible values of size and strength? Why is squatting below parellel almost a lost cause these days?

Well rest assured, I see these things and I do not forget them. I am an ANIMAL whether or not my teammates want to join me. I have worked too hard for too long to get pushed into some conformist group set on regressing in the weight room. I may only be 20 years old but I am a MAN and I take what I want. Thats the only way I know.

Good shit Candler. Go get it and don't let nothing or no one get in your way...you will prevail.

The Messenger
04-05-10, 12:22 am
It is only five days until our spring game. I couldn't be more ready. As soon as that is over, it'll be time to tear it up at North Georgia Barbell with Atlas. I've got my eyes on the prize, now its time to show what i'm made of.

The Messenger
04-17-10, 11:03 am
Our spring game was last week. I gt for five plays at D End, and I had an assisted tackle. I'm doing my best to work my way up the ladder so I can get some playing time this fall. For the summer i'm going to be in Atlanta in May, and then back in Athens for June and July training with my teammates.

The Messenger
04-18-10, 4:34 pm
One year ago I started my journey. In this year i've definitely gotten a lot bigger, stronger, smarter, and more mature. I had my first MAN lift, a 600 pound deadlift. I weighed over 250 pounds for the first time. I changed from linebacker to defensive end in football.

Since its been a year, i'd like to give an explanation of my name. I'm not a Messenger in a sense of some innocent bystander doing the work of others. Quite the opposite. I got the idea of the name from a quote from one of my favorite movies, The Dark Knight: "It's not about money...it's about sending a message. Everything burns."

"Its not about money..." Today's world is so obsessed with money and what it can buy it makes me sick. Now i know we all need some of it so we can by the gallon-sized weight gainer tubs and enough food to feed a large family, but the keyword here is obsessed. In my poinion, money is way to small of a thing to live for. "It's about seding a message..." I'm here sending the message that the iron game is far from dead, that even in this high-tech i-want-everything-now society that there are people willing to work for what they get. I'm a throwback to the type of warrior who wanted to be a MAN in every sense of the word. "Everything burns..." All our possessions can be lost or destroyed. Someone can steal your car, burn down your house, steal all your money. But no one can ever take this muscle, this huge frame that you've dedicated your life to building. No one. Ever.

The Messenger
04-28-10, 11:18 pm
We only have one more spring workout as a team until we get a break for the summer. I always welcome a change of scenery, especially when it brings around Atlas and NGBB. By the time school starts next fall, i'd like to get my weight up to 265 and all my maxes need to come up. With this new 3-4 defense all od our d-lineman need to be bigger and stronger. Sounds like a perfect summer to me.

The Messenger
05-03-10, 4:58 pm
We're finished with team workouts now until the first week of june, so i've got some time to work on my own. I'm gonna take a couple days off to let my body recover and then hit it hard, working out at home and getting my weight up.

The Messenger
05-06-10, 10:18 am
It's two days until my 21st birthday. I'm still resting my body for a few more days after the last four months of hard training. I've set my goals and now I have to chase them down and catch them. No excuses.

The Messenger
05-11-10, 4:00 pm
I turned 21 three days ago. It's my first week back at home and so far i've been to NGBB twice and had a speed and conditioning day. A change of scenery is always nice, i've got to put on some serious size and strength this summer.

The Messenger
05-16-10, 8:30 pm
Legs and Back with Atlas at NGBB

Squats: 5, 5, 5, 5 (275, 300, 325, 355)
Machine Rows: 3x15
Glute Ham Raises: 3x10

4 60 yd weighted sprints (sled +90 pounds)

The Messenger
05-21-10, 1:41 pm
Had a good upper body assistance day earlier in the week. Chest and Tris today

Bench: 3x5 (245)
Incline DB Bench: 3x10 (60s, 70, 80)
Tricep Extensions: 3x6
Tricep Pressdowns: 3x12

The Messenger
05-23-10, 1:43 pm
Light Legs/Heavy Back Day

Squats: warm up, 2x5 (235)
Deadlifts: warm up, 5, 4 (405, 500)

The Messenger
05-28-10, 1:39 pm
I had a good lift on monday, here's chest and tris from today. I hit a new pr for a set of 5.

Bench: warm up, 5, 5, 5 (225, 245, 280)
Incline DB Bench: 10, 10, 6 (70s, 80, 90)
DB Tricep Extensions: 6x10

The Messenger
06-06-10, 12:02 pm
I'm back in athens for the summer for football workouts now. I have been working on putting on good solid weight. I'm up to 255, which at 6'3" tall I still feel like I have a good amount of room to bulk up. I'm third string on our pre-season depth chart, and I will do everything in my power to work up from there.

The Messenger
06-07-10, 10:09 am
Today was our first team workout of the summer. I'm not taking any summer classes, I'm up here to train. Today's workout for the lineman group (my position group):

Hang Cleans (emphasis on speed today): 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (155, 155, 177, 177, 177)
Rear Delt Raises (holding ten lb plates): 3x10
Squats: warm up, 6, 6, 6, 6 (225, 275, 300, 335)
Leg Curls: 3x8

Abs: Planks-3 reps of one minute each

Running:8 110's

The Messenger
06-08-10, 1:47 pm
Second day of summer team workouts

Giant Set

Jammers: 3x6
Med Ball Chops: 3x10
Med Ball Tosses: 3x10

Abs

Bench: warm-up, 6, 6, 6, 6 (185, 225, 245, 265)
Barbell Rows: 3x8

Power Shrugs (from floor): 3x5 (287)

Running: 12 stadiums

The Messenger
06-09-10, 10:53 am
I weighed 256 yesterday, the most I ever have. Gaining weight is going well. Here's today's team workout:

Cleans: 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (155, 177, 199, 221, 243)
Front Squats: 4x5 (135, 185, 205, 225)

Running: 2x10 Metabolic Speed Pack (sprints ranging from 10 to 40 yards with little rest)
6 reps on quickness ladders
4x40 yard sprints

The Messenger
06-10-10, 10:25 am
Today's workout:

DB Bench (Light): 4x8 (80s)
DB Upright Rows: 3x10 (35s)
Military Press (Light): 4x6 (115)
3 Way Shoulder Raises: 3x10 (holding 10 lb plates)

Running: 6 reps of ladders
10 40 yd sprints in sand pit

The Messenger
06-11-10, 10:30 am
Today we had a light recovery day. It was at 6 am like the other days, we split up into different stations for specific work. I was assigned the flexibility station, we worked for about half an hour. I needed it, having gained 112 pounds so far in college i'm not as flexible as i'd like to be. We get the weekend off now and we'll start workouts again 6 am monday morning.

The Messenger
06-14-10, 10:56 am
Start of the second week of workouts. Squats felt really light today, I can tell I'm getting a lot more strength from all this solid mass I've put on.

Hang Cleans: 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (155, 155, 177, 177, 199)
DB Reverse Flyes (laying on an incline bench): 3x8 (25s)
Abs
Squats: warm up, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 (225, 275, 295, 315, 365)
DB Bench (light): 4x8 (75s)
DB Rows: 3x8e (70s)
Romanian Deadlifts: 3x8 (155)
3 Way Shoulder Raise Combo: 3x8 (15s)

Running: 10 110s

The Messenger
06-15-10, 10:57 am
Second workout of the week. I don't even think there's much structure in these, we lift the same muscle group several days in a row and workouts change at a moments notice. We're supposed to be doing sets of 3 this week according to our workout sheet, yet we do sets of 6 on bench. Why we would do abs and bridges and push ups before benching and deadlifting is beyond me. We deadlifted as a team for the first time ever today, almost nobody else on the team had even heard of them before. How sad is that? He wanted us to deadlift "really heavy," yet he told us what weight to do and wouldn't let me go above 375. I actually laughed. What a joke. Thats an insult to my strength, I can get 500 for 5. I don't need someone holding me back. I am a MAN and I will not stand around in silence when someone threatens who I am. I will fight till the last drop of blood for every pound I can gain, every plate my lifts go up. I am a MAN and I take what's mine.

Abs
Jammer: 3x6
Med Ball Chops: 3x8
Med Ball Tosses: 3x8
Bridges and Push Ups
Bench: warm up, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 (185, 205, 225, 245, 265)
Lat Pulls: 3x8
Deadlifts: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 (221, 243, 287, 331, 375)
Fat Boy Pulls: 3x8
Tricep Extensions: 4x15
Bicep Curls (running the rack from smallest to biggest): 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 (25s, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50)

Running: 15 stadiums

The Messenger
06-16-10, 10:39 am
Today was our "physical challenge day," mostly devoted to sprints and strongman-type work. Here's our 90 minute running session, split up into 6 stations then team sprints:

Tire Flips
Walking with a bar and chains overhead
50 yard sprints starting with 3 40-pound vests, shedding one each time
Prowler sled 15 yard pull/push
Prowler sled 20 yard high/low push
Reverse sled drags (25 yards)

Team sprints: 3 sets of 4 25 yards

The Messenger
06-17-10, 10:20 am
We're working out in the afternoon today, but that's not why i'm writing. Last night I reached a new goal of mine. I weighed 260.5. I'm attacking this with everything I have. After spring practice I had lost a good amount of weight and I was down to 231 on my birthday, May 8th. Since then i've gained 29.5 pounds. My coach told me to gain weight and I knew I needed to. When I set my mind to something, I do it. That's all there is to it.

D-Bomb
06-17-10, 12:15 pm
Today was our "physical challenge day," mostly devoted to sprints and strongman-type work. Here's our 90 minute running session, split up into 6 stations then team sprints:

Tire Flips
Walking with a bar and chains overhead
50 yard sprints starting with 3 40-pound vests, shedding one each time
Prowler sled 15 yard pull/push
Prowler sled 20 yard high/low push
Reverse sled drags (25 yards)

Team sprints: 3 sets of 4 25 yards

daaammn...sounds good but rough! how were the 50 yard sprints with all that weight on you?

The Messenger
06-18-10, 3:03 pm
Those sprints were pretty tough, but after a while my legs just went numb from all the running and lifting we've done lately. Today was our light day. I was assigned to the core station, we worked for an hour including warm ups and then the defensive line worked on some one on one pass rush against the o line. I got 4 reps in, did pretty well. Its a lot easier to play with those big guys now that I'm 260.

The Messenger
06-22-10, 11:12 am
We've had some really tough workouts the last two days. I still disagree with not squatting and benching first since those are our main movements, but the coaches are in charge. Coaches are running us till about everyone collapses from exhaustion. But hey, sometimes you've gotta get your ass kicked to be a champ.

Mondays workout:

Hang Cleans (light): 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (155, 177, 177, 199, 199)
DB Reverse Flyes (laying on an incline bench): 3x10 (20s)
Abs
Squats: warm up, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 (225, 275, 315, 345, 385)
Db Bench (light): 4x6 (70s)
3 Way Shoulder combo: 3x8 (holding 10 lb plates)

Running: 13 110s
8 reps of ladder drills

Today's workout:

Jammer: 3x8
Bridges: 4 reps of 45 seconds
Bench: warm up, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 (185, 225, 245, 265, 285)
Lat Pulls: 4x8
Deadlifts (really really light): 5, 5, 5, 5 (287, 309, 331, 353)
DB rows: 4x8e (70s)
Tricep Extensions: 3x12
Tricep Overhead Extensions: 3x12

Running: 14 30 yard prowler sled pushes (sled weighs 100 lbs)
Ladders: 4 reps

The Messenger
06-25-10, 10:19 am
Today was the last day of week 3 of summer team workouts. We warmed up then split up into stations. I went through quickness and speed today. We worked on a lot of footwork and ladders and then ran with sleds. At the end the defensive line split up for drills.

The Messenger
06-28-10, 10:36 am
Pretty much a total body workout today. I don't agree with this type of training but everyone on the team has to do it.

Abs
Hang Cleans: 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (155, 177, 199, 199)
DB Reverse Flyes (on incline bench): 3x8 (20s)
Squats: warm up, 5, 3, 3, 3 (225, 315, 365, 425)
DB Bench (light): 4x6 (70s)
Fat Boy Pulls: 4x8
RDLs: 3x8 (199)
3 Way Shoulder Combo: 3x8 (10s)

Running: 14 110s

The Messenger
06-29-10, 10:52 am
Today's workout

Abs
Jammer: 3x8
Med Ball Throws: 3x8
Bridges: 4x50 seconds
Bench: warm up, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 (185, 205, 225, 245, 275)
DB One Arm Rows: 3x8e (75s)
DB Bench: 4x6 (85s)
Reverse Grip Lat Pulldowns: 4x10
DB Curls: 4x10

Running: 6 30 yard prowler sled pushes, 4 15 yard prowler sled pushes with 45's on each side, Agilities over bags-8 reps, Cone Drill-2 reps

The Messenger
07-01-10, 12:34 pm
A new month starts. This summer has been very productive so far. I'm now up to 261 pounds, a huge improvement from the 231 I was on my birthday less than 2 months ago. Today's workout:

Cleans: 3, 3, 2, 2 (199, 221, 243, 243)
Standing Military Press: 4x6 (135)
DB Upright Rows: 3x8 (35s)
DB Lunges: 3x8 (50s)
Reverse Hypers: 3x8
DB Shrugs: 3x15 (100s)
Tricep Pressdowns: 3x15

Running: Ran to the stadium, 7 stadiums up the lower level, 4 hills, ran back to the weight room

The Messenger
07-06-10, 5:38 pm
Today's workout, we ran like crazy today:

Hang Cleans: 5x3 (177)
DB Reverse Flyes (on incline bench): 3x8 (20s)
Squats: warm up, 3, 3, 2 (315, 365, 405)
DB Lunges: 3x8e (50s)
Leg Curls: 3x8
3 Way Shoulder Combo: 3x10 (10s)

Running: 18 110s

The Messenger
07-09-10, 1:43 pm
Today's workout:

Military Press (light): 5, 5, 5, 5 (95, 115, 135, 135)
DB Rows (laying on an incline bench): 3x10 (55s)
Step Ups (w/ 40 lb vest): 4x5e
Upright Rows: 4x10 (35s)
Power Shrugs (from floor): 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (243, 265, 287, 331, 375)
Reverse Hypers: 3x8 (90)
3 way Shoulder Combo: 3x10 (10s)
DB Shrugs: 5x10 (90s)
DB Curls: 3x10

Running: Ran all the way to the stadium, 8 stadiums, 4 hills

The Messenger
07-12-10, 10:49 am
Today's workout, start of week 6 of summer team workouts:

Jammer: 3x6
Bench: warm up, 2, 2, 2, 2 (255, 275, 295, 305)
Nose Breakers: 3x8
Z-Bar Curls: 3x10
Close Grip Z-Bar Bench: 3x12
DB Incline Bench: 3x6 (70s)

Running: 8 ladders, 4 110s striding

The Messenger
07-14-10, 11:14 am
We had our phsical challenge day today

6 reps rope pulls on prowler sled
8 30 yard reps of sled pulls
6 sets of 10 hits with sledgehammer on a block
4 reps of 45 seconds of wall sits holding 45 lb bar overhead
15 tire flips
4 30 yard sprints holding sandbags

The Messenger
07-15-10, 4:53 pm
Life is a marathon, not a sprint. I can't tell you how many times i've heard this in my 21+ years, but it gets truer every time. The "sprinters," the guys who hit up the gym hard for a few weeks, months, maybe even years, will always be quitters. Always. I've seen it happen so many times. If you aren't in it for the long haul, you will be beaten to your knees and crying to mommy before you even know it. Even a few guys who I have learned from have given up. That's life. There are millions and millions of weak-minded people out there. That's what makes us special. It's uncommon to see someone hell-bent on a cause so great. I'm proud to call my fellow ANIMALS my brothers, because only you know what it's like.

In my life, I have been blessed with and given many things, and for that I am thankful. However, I was born with practically no athletic ability, natural speed or agility, of physical strength. Believe it or not, this is one of the greatest things that could've ever happened to me. I'm 100% serious. Many guys who play major D-1 football are blessed with every physical ability possible, and do not appreciate what they have. I have had to scratch and claw for everything i've gotten, and this means that i'm always hungry for more. When I finished high school, I was 6'1" and 145 pounds. I ran a 5.6 second 40 yard dash. No, that is not a typo. I was a fourth string linebacker for a small private high school who missed the playoffs my junior and senior years. I made a grand total of 0 tackles my entire senior year. Zero. Not a single one. And yet, when I first started college here at the University of Georgia, I wanted to play football here and I knew I could do it. Sure that sounds crazy, but that's only to normal people who are limited to what others think they can do. Well here's what I think: forget what anyone else thinks about you. Praise can get you too cocky and regection can get you down. Focus on yourself and your goal only. I've heard negativity the whole time i've been in college. I've had one coach tell me twice that I should never put on a set of pads again and I was too bad to even play for a D-3 school. Forget that, i'm doing it. You look at that depth chart, and I am on there. I have earned my place and i'm the 3rd string nose guard. Yes, me, the same kid who was 145 in the fall of 2007. I'm now up to a muscular 261, and only getting bigger and stronger. And believe it or not i've gotten a lot faster at the same time. Impossible? I don't think so. That's why i'm thankful that I wasn't given much at all athletically. By going through this journey so far I have become stronger and tougher than I could ever have possibly imagined. And this is only the beginning.

The Messenger
07-19-10, 10:47 am
Start of week 7

Cleans: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2 (155, 177, 199, 221, 243)
Chin Ups: 3x8
3 Way Shoulder combo: 3x8 (15s)
DB Lunges: 3x8e (50s)
Reverse Hypers: 3x8 (90)

Running: bag drills, 20 yard sprints from ground, ladders, mat drills, sandpit sprints

The Messenger
07-28-10, 10:37 am
Today is the last day of summer workouts. After this a get a 2 1/2 week break since I didn't get invited to camp, they don't take many walk-ons to it. I'm gonna use this time to workout and run hard, but also get rested, refreshed, and excited for a new season.

The Messenger
08-10-10, 11:59 am
I came back to Athens today for the start of my senior year of school, and my redshirt junior year for football. I couldn't be more ready. Practice starts back next monday, and i'm up to 264 now.

The Messenger
08-16-10, 9:33 am
Today's the first day of school for my senior year of college, and the first pre-season practice for football. I'm up to 265 now. 19 days till the first game. Lets get it.

The Messenger
08-20-10, 9:54 am
Practice is going well so far, the team is looking great. It's only 15 days till our season opener. I'm so ready for it to be here.

The Messenger
08-24-10, 10:41 am
Only 11 days till the first game. I have never been more excited for something in my entire life. I've been working for hours, days, years for this. I'm our 3rd string Nose Tackle, and I couldn't been any thirsty for more. I will make my presence felt this season.

The Messenger
09-02-10, 10:19 am
1116 days and 120 pounds later, I will be dressing out for the first time as a bulldawg this saturday. This is one of the most fulfilling feelings ever. I've gone from a 4th string linebacker my senior year in high school to dressing out saturday as a nose guard for the University of Georgia. It's all the work I had to put in to get here that makes me appreciate it so much. I've had to toil and strike and fail and face rejection in the face for over 3 years to make this happen. It took me 3 times of trying out for the team before I made it, and it took many hard practices before I get to siut up this saturday. Twice I was told by my coaches that I would never be good enough to play football here. They were wrong. In this game against Louisiana Lafayette at 12 20 saturday on SEC network, I vow to play to the level than I deserve, the level i've been striving for since the first time I ever lifted a weight, that of an ANIMAL.

The Messenger
09-03-10, 10:58 pm
"It's been a long time coming, but the table's turned around."

This line from the song "you're going down" by sick puppies rings true for me. After everything i've been through, i'm still here fighting and yelling "is that all you've got?" I've got a thirst that will never be quenched.

Tomorrow is the day. The day where I get to wear my own red jersey with my name on it and play for the team i've loved with all my heart since the day I was born. #98 is out to shock the world and upset the natural order.

I've seen bigger and stronger men than me stumble and fail doing what i'm trying to do, but I will not be broken.

"See I was never going, yeah you're the one who's going down."

The Messenger
09-07-10, 10:34 am
Last saturday, September 4th 2010, I got to suit up for the first time as a Georgia Bulldog football player. What an amazing feeling. All of my hard work is finally paying dividends. Hard wrok always produces results, and for that I am greatful. While I was in the locker room getting ready for the game with my teammates, the roar of the crowd echoing in the tunnel sounded like an earthquake. Running out onto that field with 92,746 fans cheering and the band playing is a moment I will never forget as long as I live. Only someone who is really chasing down their life's dream with everything they have can know what that's like. And the best part is i'm far from over making this happen. I'm gonna shock the world, one day at a time.

The Messenger
09-10-10, 9:45 am
Tommorrow is our second game of the season. This time its a road game against conference foe South Carolina. I really think we have a great team this year, and i'm proud to be a part of it. Because no matter how trivial or dull the task may seem, I always take pride in my work. Hard work does not go unrewarded...

The Messenger
09-14-10, 10:43 am
Last saturday was a big learning day for us. We lost 17-6 against a team we felt like we should've beat. We didn't do the fundamentals right, and we paid for it. I am always one to learn from my mistakes though. One loss will never break me, just like having one bad workout should never discourage an ANIMAL. I came across a poem that really seems to fit the situation our team is in right now, this struggle, and toil, and loss that we just went through:

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
when the road youre trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but do not quit.

Life is ***** with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Dont give up though the pace seems slow
You may succeed with another blow.

Success is failure turned inside out
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when youre hardest hit
Its when things seem worst that you must not quit.

I wanna take this to heart and encourage every one of you reading this, don't let the world get you down. Every single obstacle can be overcome, no matter how impossible it seems. Get after it.

The Messenger
09-20-10, 9:35 am
We took another hit last saturday, a heartbreaking loss to Arkansas. 1-2 is not how I wanted to start, but I will never give in. I've worked too hard and come too far to let 2 losses discourage me. It took me trying out 3 times to make this team, and i'm not gonna let anything distract me now that i'm finally on it. "Division 3 player at best..." One of my coach's words still ring clear to me. I will always surpass others expectations of me because that's who I am, and that's what I do.

The Messenger
09-21-10, 10:44 am
Yesterday after practice we had a Fellowship of Christian Athletes meeting, and i'd like to share some of what was said. This applies to everyone as well, not just people of a certain religious faith. What we discussed was the difference between making a living and making a life. Making a living just involves bringing home enough money to support yourself and whoever else you provide for. While that is important, if that is all we do on this earth, then I feel like thats a waste of life. I wanna strive for a lot more than just a paycheck in this life. Making a life means making your impact of the face of this earth. Some will say that's impossilbe, but they will be the ones who never accomplish anything noteworthy. I try to have role models that really made a difference with their lives. That kind of stuff does not get forgotten.

On another note, Mr. Olympia is this weekend, and I wanna give a big shout out to the House. We're all proud of you and will be cheering for you man.

The Messenger
09-30-10, 10:31 am
Although our season is not going nearly as well as we wanted it to, I will not give in. I did not come this far and sacrifice this much to give up at the first sign of trouble. An ANIMAL may fail at some point, but he never backs down.

The Messenger
10-07-10, 10:21 am
We lost again last week, which is something I always hate to say. But if I had ever given up at the first sign of losing, I would never have made it this far. I will continue to fight, for this is the road I have chosen, and I knew from day 1 it would not be easy.

The Messenger
10-11-10, 9:48 am
We beat Tennessee 41-14 on saturday. It was finally the type of game we are capable of winning. But one win isn't going to satisfy me...

The Messenger
10-21-10, 9:16 pm
We shut out Vanderbilt 43-0 last saturday, which pulls us to a half game out of first place in the eastern division. Its amazing how things can turn around your way when you keep fighting. Never giving up really is one of the greatest qualities a person can possibly have. It opens up worlds that were impossible before. Sometimes I think back on my own life and can barely believe what i've been through. It took me 1116 days from when I started trying out for this football team until the first time I got to dress out for a game. Thats a long time of working hard without reaching your goal. But it never once phased me, and now that i've dressed out for a game, nobody can ever take that away from me.

The Messenger
10-25-10, 9:24 am
We beat Kentucky 44-31 saturday, bringing our winning streak to 3 games, and still keeping our championship goals in sight. We play Florida this week, our biggest rival. Should make for one great game.

The Messenger
11-01-10, 9:52 am
We lost on saturday, but i'm not gonna let it get me down. My journey is far from over, and I still have much work to do. Make things happen, watch things happen, or wonder what happened. Its the choice we all face.

Vaze_06
11-03-10, 4:31 pm
lol i thought u were gone but glad to see u are still posting here. so hows training and sorry for the lost

The Messenger
11-09-10, 10:34 am
We had a huge win over a cupcake team last saturday, bringing us to 5-5. Not the record anyone on this team wants. I'm going to use this to motivate me to work that much harder this year so that next year, my last year, we will hoist the championship trophy. After practice on monday's, we have a group called Fellowship of Christian Athletes that meets and has a speaker. This week our speaker said something very interesting. "I have 3 words that will change the rest of your life," he said. "They are: AND THEN SOME." I thought about what he meant for a while, and that totally rings true to me. When we do what is expected of us AND THEN SOME, we are creating a habit of excellence and holding ourselves to a higher standard. This is what builds champions. It doesn't matter if anybody else sees you working, because the only person's opinion who matters is your own. AND THEN SOME.

The Messenger
11-15-10, 9:29 am
Lost 31-49. I'm not gonna take this lightly. Improvement needs to be made.

The Messenger
11-23-10, 10:36 am
We had a bye week last week. We need to beach Georgia Tech this saturday to go to a bowl game. I have already started thinking about goals for myself this offseason. I need to get myself ready to get some playing time next fall.

The Messenger
11-29-10, 9:43 am
We beat Tech, bringing us to 6-6. I'll tell you what disappoints me most about this season, and it's myself. Yes, I have gone way above and beyond others' expectations of me, but I have never allowed myself to be limited by that. I got to dress out as a Georgia Bulldog for the first time in my life, but I only dressed out that 1 game so far this season, and to me that is not acceptable. I want to achieve something amazing wit my life, and that can only happen if I continue to improve. I have learned a valuable lesson these past few months, and that is that I can't let my first taste of success get to me. I'm not saying I gave up, far from it, but I am MAN enough to admit when I achieve less than I am capable of, and that is the case this time. I want to make sure this never happens again, and the only way to do that is to stay hungry. I am still millions of miles away from my final goal, and I cannot afford to be satisfied with my progress. This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for the fact that I am still alive and working towards my goals. I'm also thankful for my family, and my brothers in iron, as always. I honestly hope that from now on I am put through as much pain and struggle as I can possibly handle, so that I may be forged of iron, strong enough to assert my will and achieve my goals.

The Messenger
12-05-10, 10:38 pm
We are going to play in the Liberty Bowl on new year's eve this year. Also, our strength coach was fired, and we will have a new coach coming in january. He happens to be the exact same man who told me that I was too small, too slow, too weak, and that I was a Division 3 player at best on that fateful day. Sometimes it is hard not to hold comments like that against a man. I'm firmly against negativity in every part of my life, and this man told me after my freshman year that I should do myself a favor and never put on a pair of shoulder pads again. I know though, that at the end of the day my progress is entirely up to me alone. It is time for me to be a MAN and get after it.

The Messenger
12-15-10, 10:03 am
We're practicing now for our bowl game on new years eve. Another semester of college winds to a close, and I find myself thinking a lot about where I want to be when it ends. Sure, college is a very fun time in my life, but it would be pointless if I finished it with no idea of what I want to do after. I have always known what I wanted to do, and now is where I continue to lay the groundwork to make it happen. I must put my time here on this earth to great use. I will do something worthwhile with my life, I will become the MAN i've always known I could be, and I want to inspire others to do the same thing in the process.

The Messenger
01-13-11, 8:45 pm
It's been a while since i've posted, but there's a reason for that. A lot has happened lately, we lost out bowl game, which hurt a lot, and a new year has begun. See when I post here i'm not just writing to write. To me that is just wasting mine and anyone who reads this's time. I write when I feel moved to write, when I feel there is something to be said, when I have thoughts worth putting down. I have resolved to improve myself constantly, regardless of my surroundings. There are many friends and teammates of mine that have given up, have decided to quit and let life happen to them. But not me. That's not the way I choose. No, I choose a path that is no doubt strenuous, exhausting, and in some people's eyes impossilbe. But notice I said in some people's eyes. Everyone does not see the world the way an ANIMAL des, and that is what makes it special. I have always had a view of optimism, and yet being very real at the same time. When I stepped foot on this campus I knew I was only 145 pounds, and I had only experienced defeat in football before. I was the weakest player on my entire high school football team, but I was going to change it. I made a goal to walk on to the UGA football team, a goal many thought was impossible. But I proved them wrong. I did not do this for nothing. As I now prepare for my senior season, I vow to give everything I have.

The Messenger
01-28-11, 11:02 am
We're now at the end of our second full week of team workouts. These workouts have had a lot of overtraining in them, on legs days doing over 500 reps in a single workout. I've been taking great care of my body though, because even though i'm not in charge of what we do during workouts, I still have complete control over what I eat and how much I sleep. Gotta stay hungry.

The Messenger
01-30-11, 6:56 pm
Yesterday one of my friends needed to visit a gnc, and when i went with him it brought up a lot of thoughts. I began thinking of all the supplements i've ever taken, the countless protein shakes. I thought of all the food i've eaten, all the times when i've literally shoved down an 8th meal when I wasn't even hungry. Then my mind drifted off the the weight rooms i've trained in. I've been in a lot of different ones, from an LA Fitness to a hardcore powerlifting gym. It was amazing to me how I suddenly felt this amazing rush of power and pride. All of these things are as much a part of me as my name is. I eat, sleep, and breath this lifestyle. I love the feeling of making progress, the bewildered looks of others in the gym, the way that everyone always says, "you're back again already?" when I come back to the dining hall only an hour and a half after my last meal. I am so truly blessed to have such a thirst for this lifestyle. It gives me purpose, motivates me, and keeps me hungry. I love ANIMAL.

The Messenger
02-07-11, 10:57 am
We're starting our 5th week of spring workouts this week. This is my senior season, and I find myself thinking how blessed I am to have this opportunity. This is all I ever wanted, all I ever dreamed about. I have to be opportunistic. I must get bigger, faster, stronger. Sometimes it still almost seems surreal to me. After the bowl game, I was walking to the lobby of our hotel to check out and got stopped by several people asking for my autograph. At first I thought "why would they want me to sign something?" But then I thought about how much i've always loved this team and looked up to the guys who play on it. There are always people looking to find heros, role models, people to look up to. That is no joke. We influence other people we don't even know about. That is part of our responsibility. To carry ourselves in a way befitting of a champion.

The Messenger
02-14-11, 10:43 am
Never Give Up. Its such a common phrase in this society, and yet very few people actually know what it truly means, let alone embody that phrase in their life. I base my life on these words. To truly never give up, first you must have a goal. And it better be something tough, not something than can be accomplished in a week. Once you have a goal, you must become obsessed with it. For me, one such goal was to make the UGA football team. I dreamed about it and night and thought about it all day. Next you have to find out what it takes to get there. Will you need help from anyone? Do you need to learn a new skill, or just improve old ones? And also, what's the smartest way to make this happen? In my next post, I will discuss the work that actually makes it happen once you have chosen a goal.

The Messenger
02-21-11, 10:48 am
Work. In today's society, people will do almost anything to avoid work. Every dieting or exercise commercial on tv these days talks about how easy or stress-free it is. I will call bullshit on that till the day I die. There are too many lazy people in this world. Hard work has almost become something negative in today's world, and I couldn't be more against taking the easy way out. Once we break down these barriers of society, we can truly see the world like it is: full of endless possibility. There is no task to tough, no mountain too high, no obstacle that can't be overcome by two words: HARD WORK.

The Messenger
02-23-11, 10:54 am
Visualizing. It can be a great weapon if used right. Have you ever found yourself imagining the perfect version of yourself? You know, the one with the body you've been striving for, the one who people look at in terror as they walk by, the one who uses up every single plate in the weight room for squats and deadlifts. Well that can be a very motivating force if used properly. When I imagine myself 30 pounds bigger and lifting 100 pounds more on all my lifts, the only thing running through my mind is "when can i work out next?" Sometimes visualization can give us that extra boost to get out of a rut.

The Messenger
03-02-11, 11:14 am
Defy. Sometimes the best thing you can do in life is to defy. Defy the odds, defy authority, defy everything in your way. I've learned in the last few years that not all authority figures have my best interests at heart. Some are just power hungry, some are after money, and some are just plain wrong. In this game, I spent years learning the correct things to do with training and dieting. When someone, even someone in charge, tells you something you know is wrong, you have to have the courage to stand up and defy them. If there's one thing people hate more than anything, it's when someone they thought they were equal to or better than succeeds in a way they know they never could. That inspires a kind of jealousy that will drive them to hate you for eveything you do. And i'm fine with that. To all my adversaries who wish for me to stumble, al I have to say is: go ahead. Hate me.

The Messenger
03-10-11, 10:48 am
Today is the first day of spring practice. This is my senior season, and i'm not afraid to say it, I want a conference and national championship. It's what i've layed in bed dreaming about every night of my life. I still have not gotten any playing time, but i won't let that deter me, i'm gonna make that happen this year. Never underestimate the hard working, determined underdog. Today starts this period of spring practice where I will sharpen my skills for this fall, for my last season as a University of Georgia Bulldog.

The Messenger
03-28-11, 10:54 am
We've had 4 out of our 15 spring practices now. I already feel much more confident in my second year of both playing defensive end and this new 3-4 defense. But today I don't wanna spend time talking about that. I wanna talk aabout a word that most people are scared of: sacrifice. Most people think sacrifice means occasionally giving up dessert or going to the gym when you don't feel like it. To me, this word means much more than that. Put simply, the more you sacrifice and the harder you work, the more successful you will be. One area i've noticed the last few years is that i've had to sacrifice quite a few friendships along the way in order to get where I am. I've had many friends of mine who used to be my workout partners lose thier enthusiasm for this lifestyle and then expect me to follow them. That is something I will never do. It is sad to see such good friends go, but it is absolutely necessary to continue working hard and surround myself with only positive people in order for me to progress as an athlete. Some may call this behavior selfish, and in a way it is, but in the end it is about one thing: sacrifice.

The Messenger
03-31-11, 10:44 am
The true victory is not in beating others, but in beating yourself. This is what drives me and keeps me hungry, both in lifting and in football. Nobody goes from benching 250 to benching 400 overnight. You have to strive to beat yourself, beat your numbers from your last workout, from last month, and pretty soon you'll have made a lot of progress without even realizing it. These little improvements can make all the difference in the world when you add them up. And thats why my goal is to beat my previous best every day.

The Messenger
04-05-11, 10:38 am
We had our first scrimmage of the spring last saturday, and although I only received limited playing time, I made the most of it. I can feel myself improving, gaining confidence, making plays I wouldn't have made a year ago. This is my senior season, my last shot at winning a title while i'm in college. We open the season against Boise State in the Georgia Dome. I couldn't think of a more intense way to start of the season. They will be a top ten team and hungry for a win. We must prepare for them and for our second game, against South Carolina, because the whole season depends on it.

The Messenger
04-12-11, 12:03 pm
Our spring game is this saturday. It's my last one in college, so i've gotta make the most of it. I know this next year of my life is going to be very important in determining where I am going in the next several years. I'm going to graduate this december.

The Messenger
04-15-11, 11:02 am
Sometimes life is a funny game. Just as I sat thinking about how I was only a backup for the spring game and onyl going to play a few plays, life throws me a curveball. One of our defensive ends goes down with a concussion, I get traded to the black team for G Day, and I'm starting. Let me repeat that: I"M STARTING. The same kid who fought against eating disorders and a terrible body image is now starting at D End for the University of Georgia on one of the two teams for the spring game. I've been pouring through my playbook, making sure I know all the calls for this scrimmage. I've been getting mentally ready, physically ready, I can't wait for this game. This is my chance to step up and show what I can do on a big stage.

Pwr2Elite
04-15-11, 10:22 pm
sometimes life is a funny game. Just as i sat thinking about how i was only a backup for the spring game and onyl going to play a few plays, life throws me a curveball. One of our defensive ends goes down with a concussion, i get traded to the black team for g day, and i'm starting. Let me repeat that: I"m starting. The same kid who fought against eating disorders and a terrible body image is now starting at d end for the university of georgia on one of the two teams for the spring game. I've been pouring through my playbook, making sure i know all the calls for this scrimmage. I've been getting mentally ready, physically ready, i can't wait for this game. This is my chance to step up and show what i can do on a big stage.

tear it up you"ve earned it candler!

The Messenger
04-19-11, 12:27 pm
The G Day game went well, I played well and my team, the black team, won 18-11. I'm thankful for the chance to ge tsome playing time, I hope I earned some in the fall from my performance. Now we don't have another practice until august. This summer i'm focusing on getting bigger, faster, stronger, and better at my position. I have more than 3 months to improve myself for my senior season. We're starting with Boise State this year, so we have to come out of the gate ready this season; there aren't any warm up games like in years past. Without practice for the next few months, i'll have much more time to focus on eating and lifting. Bring it.

The Messenger
04-28-11, 1:46 pm
Today's our last workout of the spring. After this, my workout schedule will be all up to me this summer. My progress, or my failure, will all be my own doing, and I love that. It's sink or swim, do or die, and every other saying people have pumped into our brains form the time we were born. If that doesn't get your blood flowing then i don't know what will.

The Messenger
05-01-11, 9:59 pm
Today was my first workout on my own for the summer. It felt amazing to be in charge of my own workout. Didn't go heavy on squats today, but I still felt a solid burn afterwards.

Squats: 10, 8, 6, 5 (135, 225, 275, 315)
Dumbell Leg Curls: 4x10 (20)
Leg Extensions: 4x10
Machine Calf Raises: 2x30 (10 toes forward, 10 toes inward, 10 toes outward), 2x5 slow negatives

The Messenger
05-05-11, 10:07 am
While on the computer today, I found myself reading an interview with Dave Tate. Talk about a guy who knows what he wants. I love seeing people with passion for the Iron Game, it gives me hope for our society. That maybe not everyone has becoem so influenced by media and advertisements so much that they lose their individuality. If you aren't living for yourself, then what are you living for? So many people seem scared to really be themselves these days because they're scared of what ther friends might think. Well to them i'd say try something new, try thinking and acting for youself, try not following the most popular kid in school, don't listen to the people who try to bring you down to their level, because deep down they're scared of what you're capable of and what they could've been. Don't shy away for other people's sake. Be yourself. Be great.

The Messenger
05-30-11, 1:17 pm
I'm back at home for the summer now. Working and working out, gotta love it. I'm 22 now, and I am really focusing on improving for this fall, my last season of college football. Worked out with Atlas today at NGBB

Overhead Press: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 10 (45, 45, 95, 115, 135, 95)
DB Incline Bench: 12, 12, 15 (60s, 60, 50)
Lat Pulldowns: 12, 12, 12, 12
Prowler Pushes: 8x40 yards

The Messenger
08-10-11, 6:08 pm
It's been a long time since i've posted, but that's because i've been busy. Busy working hard, trying to achieve my goals. When I came home for the summer, my weight was down to around 235 from just losing weight in spring practice. This summer I got a lot faster, increased my numbers in the weightroom, and got up to 255. The summer was capped off by finding out that I got invited to our preseason football camp, which is a big honor because only a few walk ons get to go. I've been steadily improving during camp. Due to an injury for two practices I got to get reps with the second string. That same day, I got asked for my first ever media interview. It was really humbling for me that someone wanted to see my take on practice. I'm always humbled when something happens like that or when someone wants an autograph; those people look up to me and I wanna set a great example. I wanna show what a lot of hard work can accomplish. One day at a time.

Vaze_06
08-11-11, 12:06 am
glad things are doing so well for you :)

The Messenger
08-22-11, 1:14 pm
Its only 12 days until out first game. These 2 games to begin the season will really set the tone for everything. This is really a crucial part of my life. Time to step up and become a MAN.

The Messenger
08-27-11, 7:36 pm
It's only a week until our first game against Boise in the Georgia Dome. After practice thursday, I found myself thinking about how much i've improved, and at the same time, how far I have to go in my journey. One of our guys was out for thursday's practice, so I got to take reps with the second string. Man it felt great going out there and doing my best against great competition. In high school, the highest I ever got was fourth string. I really have turned a corner and taken control of my life these past four years. I decided to stop letting outside things affect me, and truly pursue everything I want with a fiery passion. I've learned that there are no limits placed on me other than the ones I give myself. So many people around me have told me I would never succeed, but the only and I mean only person who can affect that is me. I have gained over 100 pounds and made an SEC football team so that I can chase down and live out my dream. I couldn't love my life any more, for it is truly my own.

The Messenger
09-14-11, 12:43 pm
It's been awhile since i've posted, but thats because I didn't feel like discussing our poor play in the first two games that landed us at 0-2. I'm not posting today to talk about our record or even our team, i'm posting to talk about me. Me. I started this journey alone, and it certainly doesn't end with the stage i'm at now. I repeat, it does not.

There are many people in this game of football who play for awards and the spotlight. That's what they want, to be the center of attention. Not me. I wouldn't trade places with a single soul on this team because I know what I want and what I believe in and I have never ever sold out to get in the spotlight. I work so hard my teammates often ask me why do you go so hard in the weight room, why do you eat so much, why do you carry a gallon of water. Because i'm a MAN, thats why. I refuse to give in to a complacent, wimpy culture that discourages trying hard. If that's what gets recognition in today's world, I don't want it. All the spotlight is is a distraction anyway. I've seen so many guys on the team have an article or some other kind of media attention and then just stop working hard completely, thinking they've finally "made it." The people who give me support, my family, my girlfriend, and my true friends, those are the ones who mean something to me. Not these fake heros of today, glorified for nothing more than being born with great genetics and and never working hard. I had several coaches, including our head coach come up to me last week saying I did an incredible job in practice. Yet when it comes time to dish out awards, other people get them. Its been that way my whole life. In a strange way, that's a tremendous blessing. People don't even realize it; everyone who has ever snubbed me in my life or talked bad about me has only increased my fire and redoubled my work ethic. So to everyone who never believed in me, I wish to say only two words: THANK YOU.

The Messenger
09-21-11, 1:58 pm
Last saturday we won 59-0, and yes I still did not get to play. Now for many people this would make them think all their time has been wasted, but that's not how i look at it. I know what i've accomplished and how hard i've worked and when i finally do get to play it will be all the sweeter for it. Sticking to the hard work even when results aren't coming your way is what separates the winners and losers. The fact is I play this game for myself, because it's something I always wanted to accomplish as a MAN. Life is what you make it, for better or for worse. I will succeed where others have failed.

The Messenger
09-28-11, 12:57 pm
I've always been big on doing things right. Now there isn't just one "right" workout or one "right" meal, but you better believe there's a wrong way to do things. In our workout monday I saw our starting nose guear doing "squats." I put it in quotes because to say he was actually doing them would be to insult the most important movement in the weightroom. He had 405 on the bar, and was doing sets of 3 where each rep he would go down only about 4 inches. I'm talking nowhere NEAR parallel, not even halfway there. Then to my amazement, the strength coach next to him starts talking about how strong he is. Are you kidding me? Thats just sad. All that kid did was just waste 15 seconds of his life, and throw away his MAN card. I'm tired of chicken-legged "fitness instructors" saying "don't go down too far, its bad for the knees." Or some kid saying "Squats hurt my back." No they don't, you just don't do them right. Squats are meant for your hip to go below your knee, anything else is wasting your time. Do it right. I know everyone on this site has seen people in gyms doing this, just wasting their time. But not us. Not ever.

ATLAS64
10-03-11, 5:48 pm
Can't wait till we can train again man.