PDA

View Full Version : How can I improve my PWO shake?

Avalanche
04-21-09, 4:34 pm
Hey fellas,

I don't post much here but I'm here reading all the time.

I am currently under a bulking phase and am trying to perfect my PWO shake so that I am getting maximum nutrition. I am 20, about 175 pounds, strong, very low body fat, and am currently cycling M-stak, Pump, and Nitro.

Here is my shake. Any tips on how I can make this better? Do I have too much fat? I also want to note that my blender is currently full, so I can not add any more ingredients without making two giant shakes.

1 cup water
1 cup soy milk
1 cup strawberries
1 full bananna
1 handfull of organic spinach and spring mix
1/3 cup EV olive oil
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
45g of quality protein powder (whey, soy, and casein combo)

I've estimated that my shake has about 50-60g of protein, about 125g of fat, I am not sure how many carbs (I probably need more), and somewhere right around 1500 calories.

My guess is that I need less fat and more carbs, but like I said my blender is dead full. It seems no matter how many calories I consume, I never get fat, so im not worried about it. I also have this shake usually first thing in the morning, unless I am taking pump when I wake up.

Any help fellas?

NJC_Manhattan
04-21-09, 4:50 pm
Unless your lactose intolerant, you should be drinking real milk not soy. Soy protein is not nearly as good as whey/animal protein. Other than that lookin good

naturalguy
04-21-09, 5:15 pm
Personally I would leave the fat out of your post workout shake.

You can get your fats at other meals.

Avalanche
04-21-09, 5:17 pm
I switched from drinking cows milk to soy about two years ago.

I find it unnatural for humans to drink. Consider the following:

Fifty years ago an average cow produced 2,000
pounds of milk per year. Today the top producers give 50,000
pounds! How was this accomplished? Drugs, antibiotics,
hormones, forced feeding plans and specialized breeding;
that's how.

Any lactating mammal excretes toxins through her milk. This
includes antibiotics, pesticides, chemicals and hormones.
Also, all cows' milk contains blood! The inspectors are
simply asked to keep it under certain limits. You may be
horrified to learn that the USDA allows milk to contain from
one to one and a half million white blood cells per
millilitre.

I think milk used to be a great source of nutrition, especially calories and protein, but I am totally afraid of all the excess hormones and other shit that is found in it today. That is why I am sticking with soy, and I'll get my extra protein and calories elsewhere. Thanks for your input though Manhattan!

TigerAce01
04-21-09, 5:27 pm
I like my milk. But that's a personal choice. My brother has a milk allergy and still grows just fine.

Torrent is probably your best option, but with how tight everyone's budget is, you have to look elsewhere.

One of my favorite post workout shakes consists of:

16 oz of skim milk (or soy in your case)
2 Scoops Whey
Half cup oats
2 tbsp Honey

Tastes delicious and gives you everything you need after a workout.

-Ace

Avalanche
04-21-09, 5:29 pm
Is the purpose of removing the fats for the PWO shake because fats take too long to digest and you wan't all of your digestion energy going towards the quick absorption of proteins and carbs? I just figured my shake didn't have much calories without all the fats.

Avalanche
04-21-09, 5:31 pm
I have lots of old fashioned regular oats. I never buy the instant kind. Is it cool just to throw a cup of them raw right into the blender with everything else? I never tried eating them without cooking.

TigerAce01
04-21-09, 5:34 pm
Is the purpose of removing the fats for the PWO shake because fats take too long to digest and you wan't all of your digestion energy going towards the quick absorption of proteins and carbs? I just figured my shake didn't have much calories without all the fats.

Exactly. Fat inhibits protein absorption. That's why a lot of guys eat peanut butter and egg whites as their last meal of the night because the fat in the PB delays the digestion of the protein in the egg whites.

And calories aren't necessarily the most important part of a PWO shake. You need lots of carbs, and lots of protein. 300-400 calories is just fine, and that's what you'll get with my shake above.

-Ace

TigerAce01
04-21-09, 5:34 pm
I have lots of old fashioned regular oats. I never buy the instant kind. Is it cool just to throw a cup of them raw right into the blender with everything else? I never tried eating them without cooking.

That's exactly what you do. And honestly, they taste really good in a shake without being cooked.

-Ace

GJN5002
04-21-09, 5:37 pm
I switched from drinking cows milk to soy about two years ago.

I find it unnatural for humans to drink. Consider the following:

Fifty years ago an average cow produced 2,000
pounds of milk per year. Today the top producers give 50,000
pounds! How was this accomplished? Drugs, antibiotics,
hormones, forced feeding plans and specialized breeding;
that's how.

Any lactating mammal excretes toxins through her milk. This
includes antibiotics, pesticides, chemicals and hormones.
Also, all cows' milk contains blood! The inspectors are
simply asked to keep it under certain limits. You may be
horrified to learn that the USDA allows milk to contain from
one to one and a half million white blood cells per
millilitre.

I think milk used to be a great source of nutrition, especially calories and protein, but I am totally afraid of all the excess hormones and other shit that is found in it today. That is why I am sticking with soy, and I'll get my extra protein and calories elsewhere. Thanks for your input though Manhattan!

I know what youre saying, but raw milk is the answer, not no milk. Raw milk eliminates all the problems you mentioned above. Plus how is it natural for humans to drink soy milk, have you ever been walking in the woods and seen some soy milk?

mritter3
04-21-09, 5:44 pm
i understand your stand on milk, i don't agree with you but i do understand, i usually just drink torrent with some iso whey mixed in with it, but if i make something different i usually do, 2 scoops isowhey, 1 scoop waixy maize, 1 cup milk, and some oats, and every now and then i will add some blueberries or strawberries, or banana, as for your spinach in your post workout shake, not really sure why, focus on getting your protein and carbs postworkout, get your fats in with your meals during the day.

prowrestler
04-21-09, 5:47 pm
1.5cups water
2 scoops whey
100 grams dextrose

Avalanche
04-21-09, 5:55 pm
Thanks guys! Good points, and great info! I'll be making some changes for sure.

Avalanche
04-21-09, 5:57 pm
I know what youre saying, but raw milk is the answer, not no milk. Raw milk eliminates all the problems you mentioned above. Plus how is it natural for humans to drink soy milk, have you ever been walking in the woods and seen some soy milk?

Good point. You are talking about organic milks right? I don't think I have seen any milk labeled as "raw" yet, but I will look. Perhaps more research is needed here.

GJN5002
04-21-09, 6:01 pm
Good point. You are talking about organic milks right? I don't think I have seen any milk labeled as "raw" yet, but I will look. Perhaps more research is needed here.

nop, raw is unpasteurized, but it is organic fed. it illegal in some states. there a lot of misinformation about it.

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/

Avalanche
04-21-09, 6:09 pm
nop, raw is unpasteurized, but it is organic fed. it illegal in some states. there a lot of misinformation about it.

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/

Thank you for bringing me this information. This might be exactly what I need to switch me back over to drinking milk again.

Jonisocool
04-21-09, 7:00 pm
1.5cups water
2 scoops whey
100 grams dextrose

I like to use maltodextrin prowrestler

"because it's metabolized a little bit slower, there will not be as quick of a drop of insulin and blood sugar levels as with dextrose."

And everyone else beat me to the punch on fats.

So I'll just post a link to this article I read awhile back on PWO shakes.

http://www.fitnessforoneandall.com/powerlifting/article/diet/post-workout/part_one.htm

And as for how much maltodextrin/whey protein to use, I just use this ratio they had listed and its worked fine for me soo far.

Carbs: 5 grams/ 10 pounds of bodyweight
Protein: 5 grams/ 20 pounds of bodyweight

Avalanche
04-21-09, 7:41 pm
I just found a local fresh source of high quality organic raw cows milk. I will be buying some later this evening! Thanks again man, I didn't know this stuff even existed.

Avalanche
04-21-09, 9:35 pm
Came out to be $8.50 a gallon, and that is a good price. You get what you pay for.

GJN5002
04-21-09, 9:37 pm
Came out to be $8.50 a gallon, and that is a good price. You get what you pay for.

awesome man, Im glad I could help. In my opinion, raw milk is the most anabolic thing you can drink, you figure it turns a baby cow into a big ass cow in a matter of months. What state do you live in, I know some states are still backwards about raw milk?

Avalanche
04-21-09, 9:46 pm
Washington State. I live in an area full of a bunch of REAL hippies, so there are lots of organic and natural products available. Ahh, this shit tastes so much better than that soy shit, its good to be back.

stumblin54
04-21-09, 10:34 pm
Raw milk will slam mass on faster than you can blink. Did you find it at a milk Co op? gjn where do you get yours at?

Stumblin

GJN5002
04-21-09, 10:40 pm
Raw milk will slam mass on faster than you can blink. Did you find it at a milk Co op? gjn where do you get yours at?

Stumblin

I live in Pennsylvania in the harrisburg area. There are tons of small family farms and organic dairies around as this part of the state is mostly farm land. Id like to do a cow share at some point.

andrewT
04-21-09, 11:00 pm
I usually throw in 35g of whey in some water with either 1.5 tbsp of Honey, or 1 banana for carbs, then my meal 45 minutes to an hour later

Jonisocool
04-21-09, 11:42 pm
Washington State. I live in an area full of a bunch of REAL hippies, so there are lots of organic and natural products available. Ahh, this shit tastes so much better than that soy shit, its good to be back.

not to hijack the thread or anything.. but where in Washington? We just had a seattle:abc last weekend.

lmao a lot of hippies? I'm guessing seattle or by that evergreen college.. olympia I think.

Animulz
04-22-09, 10:29 pm
Hey fellas,

I don't post much here but I'm here reading all the time.

I am currently under a bulking phase and am trying to perfect my PWO shake so that I am getting maximum nutrition. I am 20, about 175 pounds, strong, very low body fat, and am currently cycling M-stak, Pump, and Nitro.

Here is my shake. Any tips on how I can make this better? Do I have too much fat? I also want to note that my blender is currently full, so I can not add any more ingredients without making two giant shakes.

1 cup water
1 cup soy milk
1 cup strawberries
1 full bananna
1 handfull of organic spinach and spring mix
1/3 cup EV olive oil
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
45g of quality protein powder (whey, soy, and casein combo)

I've estimated that my shake has about 50-60g of protein, about 125g of fat, I am not sure how many carbs (I probably need more), and somewhere right around 1500 calories.

My guess is that I need less fat and more carbs, but like I said my blender is dead full. It seems no matter how many calories I consume, I never get fat, so im not worried about it. I also have this shake usually first thing in the morning, unless I am taking pump when I wake up.

Any help fellas?

soy milk?!?!? you trying to build muscle? drink man milk enstead of girl milk(soy) estrogen booster dude.

adidas
04-23-09, 5:26 am
soy milk?!?!? you trying to build muscle? drink man milk enstead of girl milk(soy) estrogen booster dude.

I don't think any self respecting Animal here wants to drink Man Milk!? Gag...no thanks bro.

On Letting Go
04-23-09, 7:04 am
I don't think any self respecting Animal here wants to drink Man Milk!? Gag...no thanks bro.

Hahaha. x2.

OLG

omgi
04-23-09, 7:25 am
I'd probably add some non sweetened cocoa to the PWO as well, to get a lot of antioxidants. Sure, there are antioxidants in honey, but it's not that much. I usually pour between 1 teaspoon and 1 tbsp in my blender.

Just my 2 cents.