PDA

View Full Version : Protein w/ water

sodapop
04-21-09, 11:56 pm
Tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything.

I've found that if I drink protein powder/Real Gains with water instead of milk, I get nauseous. I get that "head swimming" feeling, and I have to stop drinking it. Any apparent reason for this? It's a bit annoying, because I can't always have milk with me when I need to slam a shake.

prowrestler
04-22-09, 12:13 am
Tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything.

I've found that if I drink protein powder/Real Gains with water instead of milk, I get nauseous. I get that "head swimming" feeling, and I have to stop drinking it. Any apparent reason for this? It's a bit annoying, because I can't always have milk with me when I need to slam a shake.

very random...i do not get how that works AT ALLLLLLLLLLL

maybe its mental

Little Z
04-22-09, 12:14 am
very random...i do not get how that works AT ALLLLLLLLLLL

maybe its mental

i agree, i have never heard of anything like that before.. if anything it would be the other way around for me to have any suggestions..
as in the milk making you feel nauseous..

are you allergic to H2O? hahah

rocky36
04-22-09, 1:04 am
Depending on the protein powder you take it could be from the nasty ass taste. For me milk makes any protein shake taste ten times better.

Little Z
04-22-09, 1:15 am
Depending on the protein powder you take it could be from the nasty ass taste. For me milk makes any protein shake taste ten times better.

he stated even with Real Gains..

and I dont see how the taste of a protein powder could cause someone to feel as if their head is "swimming"..

RK
04-22-09, 1:30 am
well i always take it with water but if ur looking for a little extra kick try mixing in a packet of hot chocolate mix.

prowrestler
04-22-09, 1:40 am
well i always take it with water but if ur looking for a little extra kick try mixing in a packet of hot chocolate mix.

UGHHH lol

how would this help the OP?

Little Z
04-22-09, 1:40 am

hey bro, not tryin to be a stickler or anything but the original poster isnt looking for flavor suggestions..

he is having an issue with drinking his protein WITH water, it is making him feel nauseous and as if his head is "swimming"..

just wanted to point that out to you..

JasonG
04-22-09, 4:04 am
When are you drinking the protein, post workout?

sodapop
04-22-09, 7:47 am
When are you drinking the protein, post workout?

Yeah, most of the time I've tried to do this it's been post-workout.

weedlewott
04-22-09, 8:15 am
I haven't a clue if this has anything to do with it or not, but is your heart rate still up when you take it? If it is, try kicking back for about fifteen minutes PWO. I also noticed when I do it, if i'm mixing with warm water, I get a slightly nauseated feeling. not so much head spinning or swimming effect, but just saying. Cold water maybe?

sodapop
04-22-09, 8:22 am
I haven't a clue if this has anything to do with it or not, but is your heart rate still up when you take it? If it is, try kicking back for about fifteen minutes PWO. I also noticed when I do it, if i'm mixing with warm water, I get a slightly nauseated feeling. not so much head spinning or swimming effect, but just saying. Cold water maybe?

Well, it's not like a spinning feeling, more just I get a headache and feel kind of nauseous. And my heart rate is generally back to normal by this time.

weedlewott
04-22-09, 8:31 am
hmm.. If you're using warm (room temp.) water, try for using something cold if it's available. If not, I don't know what to tell you other than it may just be the protein you're using. I saw Real Gains, and I haven't had that problem, but everyone's different. maybe something a little less, I don't know, potent. You can always try thickening or thinning out the amount of water you put in there. I know it gives you an amount (12oz?), but that's just to go on. Try using less water one day and then more the next if it didn't help. Keep me posted. This is unusual. I'll look it up and see if I can't find something for you to do or an underlying reason.

sodapop
04-22-09, 8:32 am
hmm.. If you're using warm (room temp.) water, try for using something cold if it's available. If not, I don't know what to tell you other than it may just be the protein you're using. I saw Real Gains, and I haven't had that problem, but everyone's different. maybe something a little less, I don't know, potent. You can always try thickening or thinning out the amount of water you put in there. I know it gives you an amount (12oz?), but that's just to go on. Try using less water one day and then more the next if it didn't help. Keep me posted. This is unusual. I'll look it up and see if I can't find something for you to do or an underlying reason.

Thanks for the help, man. Yeah, I'm gonna be looking around - see if I can find anything on it. It's not that big a deal - I'd rather use milk anyway, but I can't always do that, you know?

weedlewott
04-22-09, 9:28 am
okay. so I did some digging. Some people suggest that maybe it's due to a carb deficiency. either that or the particular flavor that you are using may not agree with the rest of the day. If you're drinking it on a mostly empty stomach, that could also have something to do with it.
I can do more. What kind of a diet/WO plan are you currently on?

adidas
04-22-09, 10:27 am
wow! are you kidding me? if his issue is with water...but not when he uses milk...WHY NOT SUGGEST POWDERED MILK!!!!

that can be as easily portable as protein powder..because it is protein powder.

Problem solved.

if that doesnt do it...then there is a differnt problem out side of milk vs. water here.

RK
04-22-09, 11:13 am
UGHHH lol

how would this help the OP?

hey bro, not tryin to be a stickler or anything but the original poster isnt looking for flavor suggestions..

he is having an issue with drinking his protein WITH water, it is making him feel nauseous and as if his head is "swimming"..

just wanted to point that out to you..

/sigh
here we go

Alright well this is an unusual case because there is avery slim chance that there is actually anything physically wrong with him or the shake. It seems a lot more probable that it should be the other way around due to lactose intolerance, but that isnt the case here. So the first thing that came to my mind was its a bad mental association with the taste or texture, since he said he started feeling it AS he was drinking it. For example i have a friend who ate Oreo's as a child until he spewed, he doesn't remeber this happening because he was too young but he still can't stand Oreo's. So by suggesting that he add in a packet of simple mix it will change both the taste and texture, therefore giving it a chance to solve the problem. The end

Aggression
04-22-09, 11:41 am
/sigh
here we go

Alright well this is an unusual case because there is avery slim chance that there is actually anything physically wrong with him or the shake. It seems a lot more probable that it should be the other way around due to lactose intolerance, but that isnt the case here. So the first thing that came to my mind was its a bad mental association with the taste or texture, since he said he started feeling it AS he was drinking it. For example i have a friend who ate Oreo's as a child until he spewed, he doesn't remeber this happening because he was too young but he still can't stand Oreo's. So by suggesting that he add in a packet of simple mix it will change both the taste and texture, therefore giving it a chance to solve the problem. The end

True. Nothing will enter your system THAT quickly. If you're getting that feeling AS you're drinking it, it HAS to be mental. Nothing will start circulating through your system within a second of ingestion.

BobbyB11
04-22-09, 1:41 pm
Sometimes after a particulary intense workout, I feel a lil nauseous, and usually sip on some room temp water until my stomach calms down enough to hit up my pwo shake of chioce for that day.

Pizzalamp
04-22-09, 11:22 pm
/sigh
here we go

nice!