PDA

View Full Version : Wrist pain..

MRob
04-22-09, 10:45 am
Quick question.. about 3-4weeks ago i was doing straight bar curls and had some pain in my wrist. Didnt think much of it at first its normal to feel some pain, finished my workout and went home. Woke up the next day with tremendous pain. I iced it / heated it/ took pain pills. With my split i workout arms every wednesday so i def feel it on these days but it kinda nags me the whole damn week. It doesnt hurt so much to move it , as it does to turn my wrist from palm down to palm up and visa versa. I cant think of what else to do? do i bite the bullet and take a whole week off? or just keep dealing with it??
any input is much appreciated

Ricky P
04-22-09, 10:49 am
I've had a similar problem. I've broken both my wrists in the past, but my left wrist always gives me problems.... Especially on barbells. Bench, BB Curls, anything that I can't move my wrist will give me problems. I bought wrist straps a couple years ago, much better. My pain was diagnosed as tendonitis since I was younger, but has never really gone away. I've just pretty much delt with it, but these wrist straps make a hell of a difference. Check out this site: http://www.prowriststraps.com/ (APT Pro Gear), customer service is great and they have great deals on straps. Hope that helps..

MRob
04-22-09, 10:56 am
ill definitely look into that, which one would you recommend?? any preference??its just been about a month and im tired of babying it having to ice it everyday and go light on my lifts

Ricky P
04-22-09, 11:02 am
I used the "Blood Stripe" (http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/5820) which are a little more flexible than most, but since those weren't in stock when I went to re-order I got the "Commando":
http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/87281
My friend is in the army so I thought it'd be a nice little way of saluting him. It's an inexpensive way to not only help your wrist, but give you some confidence as well that you have some security around that area so no further damage happens.

live2lift
04-22-09, 11:43 am
Quick question.. about 3-4weeks ago i was doing straight bar curls and had some pain in my wrist. Didnt think much of it at first its normal to feel some pain, finished my workout and went home. Woke up the next day with tremendous pain. I iced it / heated it/ took pain pills. With my split i workout arms every wednesday so i def feel it on these days but it kinda nags me the whole damn week. It doesnt hurt so much to move it , as it does to turn my wrist from palm down to palm up and visa versa. I cant think of what else to do? do i bite the bullet and take a whole week off? or just keep dealing with it??
any input is much appreciated

You could take a week or so off to let the injury heal...might be a good idea. One thing that I would do is when you do go back to doing curls switch to the EZ curl bar. The curves on the bar make it easier on the wrists. Hope this helps.

mritter3
04-22-09, 12:54 pm
you could use the ez bar curl, but i also have had pain when doing cursl with bb's, so i also bought some straps for the wrist, pretty much just made it so i could not bend the wrist too much, within a week the pain was gone, i had tendonitis, i would get the wrist strap, but also see a doc to diagnose what the actual prob. is so it does not get worse.

Big Bay
04-22-09, 1:56 pm
You might just want to let it heal man. I understand, it sucks. I messed my elbow up about 3 weeks ago, had it checked out, turns out its going to be a 6-8 week recovery. It sucks man, but you don't want to do something permanent. I would recommend working lighter, and try and just do some exercises that do not bother you.

In other words, get big legs...

MRob
04-22-09, 2:09 pm
well damn thanks guys... im def gonna order those straps. I have done ez bar curls and that does relieve 99% of the pain but like yesterday i worked back and it flamed up again. so ill get those straps and finals are comin up so i might just take that week off from lifting and hit the books. thanks for all your help guys

loligagger
04-22-09, 2:23 pm
i asked a trainer about this back when i was a junior in highschool. same problem when i did straight bar curls it hurt my wrist, sounds like it wasnt severe as yours tho. he just told me to use the EZ bar or to use a thicker bar. he also said to make sure my wrists were in a nuetral position. keep them straight not bent towards or away from you.

GODSEY
04-22-09, 4:32 pm
Good idea on the straps, I know they get a lot of heat sometimes, but 2 years ago I sprained my wrist and forarms so my grip was shot. My buddy let me have an extra set of straps he had. Not only did it let me work out without too much pain while it healed, but my lifts jumped incredibly on all the pulling movements. I am still a big fan...

omgi
04-23-09, 4:34 am
I had the same problem about one to one and a half year ago. It started with the straight bar curls and high pulls. I thought it was just my weak forearms reacting to the training. As I pushed harder it became more obvious that it was doing serious harm. I analyzed my entire workout schedule and tried to switch out handles, grip and even exercises to make it easier on my wrists. Even bought gloves with good wrist wraps. But it only got worse and worse. In the end I couldn't do shit. Tried to rest for a couple of weeks, but it got back quite quick. In the end, I had to take about 1-2 months off to get it to go away entirely. A year has passed and it is long gone. Have begun to train without the gloves now, some exercises are quite hard on the wrists so I'll be really careful.

You might have to be very careful about this... and you might not have to... We are all different, we train different, and this is just my experience. I really hope it heals up for you!

Jeppeehh
12-04-13, 10:19 am
Maybe no one will see this now, 4 years later but anyway. The last weeks I've noticed how f***ing bad my grip is, specially my right (has been broken years ago) and I remember I had some trouble with it before and got myself wrist wraps which pretty much helped it go away but to the thing again. The last weeks I've noticed when I've done barbell curls without wraps I can't do much weight at all, the grip just... gives out before my biceps. Same goes for farmers carry with the 20kg's weightplates. I can't hold them for long anymore, and the real problem is in my right wrist.. Today I feel a bit pain in it. Should I stop doing curls/arm workouts in between my powerlifting workouts and see how it goes? I'm actually depressed because there is always something that hinder my training, if not the shoulder or knee, it's something else.

/I've used the straight bar curl and gone quite heavy in hope to get my strength back up so I'm not surprised that it has done damage AND that the wraps have left me weak...

And do you think I can use the hand grips like every other day and do couple of sets? I think I need it but I don't wanna make it all worse even though hand grips doesn't hurt.

Swolepez
12-04-13, 2:23 pm
Maybe no one will see this now, 4 years later but anyway. The last weeks I've noticed how f***ing bad my grip is, specially my right (has been broken years ago) and I remember I had some trouble with it before and got myself wrist wraps which pretty much helped it go away but to the thing again. The last weeks I've noticed when I've done barbell curls without wraps I can't do much weight at all, the grip just... gives out before my biceps. Same goes for farmers carry with the 20kg's weightplates. I can't hold them for long anymore, and the real problem is in my right wrist.. Today I feel a bit pain in it. Should I stop doing curls/arm workouts in between my powerlifting workouts and see how it goes? I'm actually depressed because there is always something that hinder my training, if not the shoulder or knee, it's something else.

/I've used the straight bar curl and gone quite heavy in hope to get my strength back up so I'm not surprised that it has done damage AND that the wraps have left me weak...

And do you think I can use the hand grips like every other day and do couple of sets? I think I need it but I don't wanna make it all worse even though hand grips doesn't hurt.

I use Dry Hands for grip (even on heavy presses). It kinda like a liquid chalk. I order it off of amazon. It's allowed me to have good grip without using wrist wraps (or straps).
1. My grip doesn't stop me short now
2. I don't have to rely on wrist wraps so my wrist gets stronger as the weight goes up & for pulling exercises my grip gets stronger and my forearms have grown a little.

Jeppeehh
12-04-13, 2:39 pm
I use Dry Hands for grip (even on heavy presses). It kinda like a liquid chalk. I order it off of amazon. It's allowed me to have good grip without using wrist wraps (or straps).
1. My grip doesn't stop me short now
2. I don't have to rely on wrist wraps so my wrist gets stronger as the weight goes up & for pulling exercises my grip gets stronger and my forearms have grown a little.

Alright man, but the answer I was hoping for was thoughts about what I should do? If I'm on my way to tendonitis, unless I do already have it, since it's not the first time this occurs. Did months ago as well but stopped when i bought wrist wraps which I bet have been weakening my wrist/fore-arms much. Because this came now the last weeks when I've been using them less. Also, I bought chalk/magnesium to rub on my hands, used it yesterday on my bench. Felt good.

Appollonian
12-04-13, 2:41 pm
I can't add anything these folks haven't already said, except in my experience I tried many of these things and they would help, such as doing curls with EZ bar instead of straight bar, baby the wrist in general for a week or two, being mindful of wrist posture when typing, but the pain never fully went away until I started wearing a wrist brace to sleep. After a few days of sleeping in a brace it made a tremendous difference.

Jeppeehh
12-04-13, 3:30 pm
I can't add anything these folks haven't already said, except in my experience I tried many of these things and they would help, such as doing curls with EZ bar instead of straight bar, baby the wrist in general for a week or two, being mindful of wrist posture when typing, but the pain never fully went away until I started wearing a wrist brace to sleep. After a few days of sleeping in a brace it made a tremendous difference.

Okay, man. I think I got one of these, I will try it! :) I will stop doing curls for now, and see how it goes with the regular training, squat, deadlift, bench

rbowman91
12-04-13, 4:25 pm
1. if it hurts dont do it

2. i had a very similar problem. grasping any type of barbell hurt my wrists. i had to see a doctor and the problem turned out to be two things:
-I was gripping the bar way to tight with my wrists flexed inwards. wrists should be neutral during a straight bar curl, or even slightly limp.
-my forearms were fucking WEEK. this was due t othe fact that i used to always wear gloves and use wraps. i started using the pvc pipe forearm roller to strengthen it, and the problem literally went away in a week.

Bottom line: the weights i was using were too much for my weak forearms to handle. now that i have strong forearms (also from deadlifts and farmers carries), they dont hurt anymore. (specifically, the pain was in my flexors and extensors)

Swolepez
12-04-13, 11:16 pm
Alright man, but the answer I was hoping for was thoughts about what I should do? If I'm on my way to tendonitis, unless I do already have it, since it's not the first time this occurs. Did months ago as well but stopped when i bought wrist wraps which I bet have been weakening my wrist/fore-arms much. Because this came now the last weeks when I've been using them less. Also, I bought chalk/magnesium to rub on my hands, used it yesterday on my bench. Felt good.

LOL! I'm sorry bro I guess I read your post wrong. Like mentioned before, try to keep your forearms in a neutral grip. My wrist were hurting when I noticed I would let my wrist bend backwards on bench and so. I try to keep my wrist straight now and it helps. Also I prefer ez curls and ez bar extensions over using the straight bar.

And anytime your wrist flare up, either don't perform that exercise and find an alternative or give your wrist rest for a wk or so and when you come back to workout be mindful of wrist positioning during your lifts by keeping your wrist neutral.

P Diesel
12-05-13, 1:32 pm
if it is restricting ur movement or getting worse u need to train around it and see if it gets any better. if it is nagging then train right through it. theres a certain amount of pain we are to expect in this life

P

Jeppeehh
12-05-13, 1:50 pm
if it is restricting ur movement or getting worse u need to train around it and see if it gets any better. if it is nagging then train right through it. theres a certain amount of pain we are to expect in this life

P

Yeah man, I understand what you mean. But the thing is that I feel it's strange because of that my grip suddenly have gotten weaker and I can't really explain the feeling but I "lose" the feeling in my hand when the grip gives out and I just can't continue gripping. Like with farmers carry, left arm was all okay like usual but the right gives up after 20 secs basically when I normally can hold and walk for 30-40+

Jeppeehh
12-05-13, 1:52 pm
I'm gonna go see how deadlifts work out tommorow. Been over 2 weeks since deadlifting but anyway that's what I'm gonna do and see how the grip works out. Slept this night with wrist brace and I will continue doing that.

P Diesel
12-06-13, 6:46 pm
Yeah man, I understand what you mean. But the thing is that I feel it's strange because of that my grip suddenly have gotten weaker and I can't really explain the feeling but I "lose" the feeling in my hand when the grip gives out and I just can't continue gripping. Like with farmers carry, left arm was all okay like usual but the right gives up after 20 secs basically when I normally can hold and walk for 30-40+

pinched nerve perhaps, dealin with sumthin similar myself. sumtimes don't look at the source of the discomfort, aim higher, elbow or shoulder injury? just an idea

P

Jeppeehh
12-07-13, 3:19 pm
I'm gonna go see how deadlifts work out tommorow. Been over 2 weeks since deadlifting but anyway that's what I'm gonna do and see how the grip works out. Slept this night with wrist brace and I will continue doing that.

I do have an shoulder injury since like over 1.5 years ago which started to feel better just the other week but thats on my other side, left. Deadlifted today and well the "pain" is pretty much gone but still feels lile the grip/connection is a bit off for sure. Used chalk so didnt go too bad.