PDA

View Full Version : question for any coaches out there

IronTeacher
04-23-09, 10:50 am
Hey Fellas,

running into tough times with a team I am coaching. Lack of motivation, lack of caring of their performance, and they dislike each other. Some athletes are giving their all but are limited in ability and the most gifted players are the laziest. Any way to help change this. I know change comes from within but I just can't throw up my hands and not do anything.

Any advice?

Thx Fellas

rev8ball
04-23-09, 11:06 am
What sport and what age group?

TigerAce01
04-23-09, 11:11 am
Go old school and tell them if they don't work, they're off the team.

Usually works quite well.

-Ace

IronTeacher
04-23-09, 11:12 am
High School Girls Softball

Some girls are worked very hard...a senior squatted 250 parallel a freshman squatted 185 perfect parallel form, and other good solid lifting during the offseason to prepare us. But now that it is showtime, we do not perform well in pressure and maybe the lack of performance is causing these issues.

TigerAce01
04-23-09, 11:34 am
High School Girls Softball

Some girls are worked very hard...a senior squatted 250 parallel a freshman squatted 185 perfect parallel form, and other good solid lifting during the offseason to prepare us. But now that it is showtime, we do not perform well in pressure and maybe the lack of performance is causing these issues.

Performing under pressure is something that must be learned, and it's hard. I know I'm young, but I help teach jiu jitsu, and the pressure to perform in tournaments is extreme. The only way to mimic that in a training situation is to create negative effects for not performing, such as extra sprints, extra sit ups and pushups, early morning practices, or even as extreme as roster cuts. Even if you don't plan on cutting anyone, you can make the threat. It's a great motivational tool.

But along the same lines, you must have positive effects for good performance. A pat on the back goes a very long way.

-Ace

BigChrisF
04-23-09, 5:49 pm
You should try more group oriented activities. Something that will require to rely on the rest of the team to succeed. That should help pull them together.

NJC_Manhattan
04-23-09, 6:01 pm
You need a reward and reprimand system. Do not punish!

Extrinsic rewards: external and tangible things like a pizza party or a trophy.

Intrinsic rewards: That internal satisfaction. Make them feel as if they are part of something large.

Remember you cannot reward equally, you must reward your top performers more... I know that sounds bad, but you want to keep the best players happy!

Reprimands: When someone screws up catch them in the act. First, tell them what they did, then tell them what you would do, then--and most importantly--remind them how good they are and that you value you them.

With the girls getting along, that is a tough one. Their friendships will build out of hardships, wins, and losses.

Hope this helps.