PDA

View Full Version : Which routine with test cycle?

cstmgp
04-24-09, 4:44 pm
I am currently doing a modified push/pull, but I thought maybe something more intense may produce better results. The other thread made me think maybe 5x5 would be good, as people seem to be getting good strength gains with it.

My current routine runs as follows:
Revolving around the big 3, with supplemental/target exercises thrown in.
pull day : heavy- low reps
push day: heavy- low reps
rest
Legs: heavy-low rep
rest
pull: moderate-high rep
push:moderate-high rep
rest
rest
legs: moderate-highrep
rest
REAPEAT

The only thing that varies are the rest days, if I'm not feeling recovered, I'll rest, If I feel good I'll hit it that day. I have really learned to listen to my body over the last few months.

Shaun

pmug0000
04-24-09, 6:54 pm
You shouldn't necessarily change up your routine because of test. If what you're doing is working for you and you like the split then stick with it.

I think it's more important to try to keep the weights increasing from week to week and to vary the exercises you do from week to week instead of worrying about the split.

On the other hand if you're tired of what you've been doing then give 5x5 a try. I've never done it myself but seen logs of people who have had a lot of success with it.

prowrestler
04-24-09, 8:11 pm
lets put things in perspective here...

diet = 80%
training= 15%
supps = 5%

now ur gonna tell me your gonna make that 5% dictate your lifestyle?

do not change anything, you add supplements. "ADD", supplements are additions to your attempt at gettin huge/strong, not replacements like 90% of people think.

so do what you do, and if test allowes you to make faster gains, do so by all means but never let it be a situation like " oh im on this, now i need to change"...far from the case.

i think what u should look out for is faster progress per session, not faster time between each one.

K Stro24
04-24-09, 11:58 pm
if you switch your routine while your on test, how do you know whats making you gain? is it the initial shock of a new routine, the 5x5 overall, or the test? if u wanna amp up the intensity of your workout, just go harder, lift heavier, eat more, sleep more. supplements shouldnt dictate your workout. you should dictate your workout

cstmgp
04-25-09, 12:23 am
Yes, point taken, I know that the supps aren't miracles. I feel as though I have everything else in check, so I suppose I'll stick with what I'm doing and save the 5x5 for breaking through a platue. I think I'd like to try it out this fall, when I'm on a heavy bulk.
Thanks for the info,
Shaun

Littlefry
04-26-09, 6:38 pm
If your looking to add size and strength with test than go for 5x5 intermediate. I had such great sucess with adding both size and huge strength gains I can only imagine what a 5x5 program and a 42 day cycle of test would accomplish.