PDA

View Full Version : Training 1 week out from a meet...?'s

04-26-09, 5:37 pm
Do any of you PL veterans have any tips as far as training goes 1 week out from a meet? My meet is on 9May and I was going to have my last week's training look like this.....

Fri. 1 May... Last ME squat day(Warm up, Openerx2, MAYBE 3rd attempt weightx1)

Sat. 2 May... Last ME Dead Day (Same as above)
Sun. 3 May.. Last ME Bench day (same as above)

Rest the rest of the week....

Does this look right? All comments/suggestions are welcome as I'm a PL newb and this is my first full power meet. Thanks.

Phil

brays3440
04-26-09, 11:20 pm
doesnt look to bad, make sure you give yourself as close to 7 days rest from heavy lifting as you can, and if I were you I'd probably only work up to my opener, maybe if you dont feel like 1 set is enough do 2 sets of 1

04-27-09, 1:36 pm
doesnt look to bad, make sure you give yourself as close to 7 days rest from heavy lifting as you can, and if I were you I'd probably only work up to my opener, maybe if you dont feel like 1 set is enough do 2 sets of 1

Yeah, I've had quite a few other's say that as well so I think that's what I'll do. Thanks bro.

IRBS
04-27-09, 4:26 pm
Do any of you PL veterans have any tips as far as training goes 1 week out from a meet? My meet is on 9May and I was going to have my last week's training look like this.....

Fri. 1 May... Last ME squat day(Warm up, Openerx2, MAYBE 3rd attempt weightx1)

Sat. 2 May... Last ME Dead Day (Same as above)
Sun. 3 May.. Last ME Bench day (same as above)

Rest the rest of the week....

Does this look right? All comments/suggestions are welcome as I'm a PL newb and this is my first full power meet. Thanks.

Phil

Deadlift Opener 12-14 Days out
Squat Opener 10 Days out
Bench Opener 7 Days out
Rest till the meet

Assistance work should be fairly easy at this point. I back off my heavy assistance work about 2.5 weeks out and then just rest and recover and cruise into the meet.

BigChrisF
04-27-09, 10:25 pm
I usually hit openers about 5 days or so out from the meet, but I don't do a deadlift opener.
Also for your first full power meet I would suggest setting your openers low. A meet isn't won with your openers. Get in the meet and then go from there. Pick an opener that is so easy that you could do it even if someone were hitting you with a wiffle bat.

eric downey
04-27-09, 11:10 pm
Deadlift Opener 12-14 Days out
Squat Opener 10 Days out
Bench Opener 7 Days out
Rest till the meet

Assistance work should be fairly easy at this point. I back off my heavy assistance work about 2.5 weeks out and then just rest and recover and cruise into the meet.

x2

Hartschuh
04-28-09, 1:52 pm
I agree with Eric and IRBS, save your attempts for the platform. When I take my openers, I generally try and mimic how I plan on warming up at the meet and then hit my opener and go straight to light accessory work.