PDA

View Full Version : Do you use knee bands/wraps ?

expert_newb
04-27-09, 7:02 am
I have heard physios say that wearing knee bands, wraps, and lifting belts might do more harm than good...Something along the lines as they are putting less work on the stabilizing muscles and giving the wearer a false feeling of being stronger than he actually is. Perhaps there are some other opinions on wraps I am unaware of as well. I tried searching the net for literature regarding this topic, but so far my research has proven very inconclusive.

So I defer to your guys knowledge and experience. Do you use knee bands/ wraps ? Do have a particular system of wearing wraps only for your heaviest sets? are knee bands better than wraps? Are either only good for certain knee injuries? If you decide to take off the knee wraps, how much is your form/strength compromised for that given rep/set/workout. Do people still wear wraps/knee bands out of some misguided belief that they are beneficial. OR do people use them as a crutch the same way people use straps to lift heavy deadlift/rows? I have seen lots of people on this board give advice to abandon straps to improve one's grip.

Anyways I realize that's a bunch of questions I just threw out there, but I wanted to to be as comprehensive as possible. Hopefully I can get some good knowledge from you guys!

mritter3
04-27-09, 8:23 am
only time i ever wrap my knees is when i am squatting or leg pressing a shitload of weight, other than that i never do.

BeastCook
04-27-09, 11:31 am
only time i ever wrap my knees is when i am squatting or leg pressing a shitload of weight, other than that i never do.

same here

GJN5002
04-27-09, 12:44 pm
I always wear neoprene knee sleevs for leg workout. I have some knee issues so its a must. Even if you dont its not a bad idea to wear knee sleeves. It keeps the joint warm and secure to prevent injury. You can be a tough guy as long as you want and never wear wraps, sleeves, belts, but some day it will bite you in the ass.

BigChrisF
04-27-09, 9:56 pm
I wear knee wraps at competition and in the gym when setting up for a competition lift. Otherwise I don't usually wrap my knees. Squat with care and knee wraps are not necessary. However they do feel nice when the weight gets heavy.

TigerAce01
04-27-09, 10:15 pm
I have prior knee injuries, so I wear knee sleeves after warm ups, but only occasionally wear wraps. I've never really found a need for wrist wraps though.

-Ace

Littlefry
04-28-09, 10:52 am
I use no wraps, bands, etc... for anything. I feel that its more natural that way, but if I ever feel the need to in the future I probably will start using knee wraps once my squats are heavier.

BigChrisF
04-28-09, 6:43 pm
I have prior knee injuries, so I wear knee sleeves after warm ups, but only occasionally wear wraps. I've never really found a need for wrist wraps though.

-Ace

I really can't comfortably bench over 400 without using wrist wraps. I don't use them for lighter weights, but my wrists will hurt a lot without them on heavier sets.

J Wong
04-28-09, 7:03 pm
I wear a belt when going heavy on deads and squats, wrist wraps on heavier bench sets, and I am going to start using knee wraps on squats....

Nuno
04-28-09, 8:24 pm
I've been thinking more and more about wrapping my knees on heavy leg press days.

TigerAce01
04-28-09, 8:40 pm
I really can't comfortably bench over 400 without using wrist wraps. I don't use them for lighter weights, but my wrists will hurt a lot without them on heavier sets.

Yeeeeah, I'm not that strong yet brother

hahahaha

Hence why I don't have much of a need for them!

-Ace

BeastCook
05-02-09, 12:23 am
sometimes i do, but most of the time when im training alone, makes me feel safer when im squatting, kinda like a spotter almost

Dolby
05-02-09, 1:58 pm
i wear wrist straps and used to wrap my knees up or leg day but i was told to stay away really because it can cause strength inbalances in the knees etc.. i think its more of a phychological thing most of the time as they used to give me a sense of security but after i stopped and realised i could still do the same amount of weight without them... i thought to myself whats the point..

each to their own tho!

Giant Killer
05-02-09, 2:47 pm
I don't wrap up unless I am coming back from an injury and if it feels good I lose the wraps.

fenix237
05-03-09, 6:00 am
as the years of lifting, i find myself using less and less gear. i only use a weightbelt for squats, deads, bench when i'm going all out trying to break PR's

i use lifting straps on the heaviest sets of deads, and wrist wraps when benching 365+. when pressing in the 4's w/o wristwraps, my hands will be sore from the bar weight, so i wrap them up, and all is good! maybe my hands aren't conditioned yet?

on a sidenote, as i get older, i find myself wanting to use less gear, i go slighly less weight but focus on excellent form. for example, when squatting, i drop the weight a little, but try to go ATG and build my endurance/stamina. when i'm ready to go after PR's, i feel i'm much better prepared