PDA

View Full Version : Lefty or Righty?

InkdMuscle
04-27-09, 1:26 pm
Hey fellas question. I am left handed and of course my right is a lil bit weaker. I was told that when doing any exercises that involve separate hands like doing DB standing curls, i should start with my non dominate arm which in turn will bring it up to strength with my left.

What is ur take on it.

NickSP
04-27-09, 1:31 pm
IMHO,
might as well start with the weaker side, but I don't know if it's that significant of a difference

InkdMuscle
04-27-09, 1:49 pm
IMHO,
might as well start with the weaker side, but I don't know if it's that significant of a difference

either do i. i have been try'n to find something on the net that supports either way. but no dice.

Crash
04-27-09, 2:08 pm
...In theory one should always start with their non-dominate side in uni-lateral exercise as in all likelyhood that side will be the one to fail first...Thus ending on the dominate side and ensuring that both sides receive the same amount of reps...

...Strength and Honor...

InkdMuscle
04-27-09, 2:12 pm
...In theory one should always start with their non-dominate side in uni-lateral exercise as in all likelyhood that side will be the one to fail first...Thus ending on the dominate side and ensuring that both sides receive the same amount of reps...

...Strength and Honor...

Thats what i was leaning towards just from talk with my friend. Hell I am always willing to try new things if it improves my training and physique.

Offerstoff
04-27-09, 3:47 pm
Another thing you can try is doing things with the non-dominant hand outside of the gym. I myself am a lefty, and got tired of being slightly weaker on my right (only 1 or 2 reps, but still noticeable), so tried doing more common daily activities with the right hand. It sucks at first but you get used to it and become adapted to the other side of the body, making it slightly easier to focus that side and control it.

Some things you can try are:

Eating with the other hand
Drinking with the other hand (grap your water bottle with the right instead of left)
Shaving (i wouldn't suggest this at first, or starting off with a blade, go with an electric first, work up to a blade)
Writing. Just getting used to the grip can help you more than you think. (Don't do this for any main documents or anything however)

As for in the gym, I find going with the non-dominant hand first helps, but sometimes I'll go with the dominant first and just do some break sets on the other arm (or whatever it's called): i.e. I get 10 reps on my left, but only 8 on right, so I take a 2 sec break and get 2 more on the right.

AFTazz06
04-27-09, 5:14 pm
Unilateral workouts is the way to go, that way both sides grow in proportion and neither gets left behind in the strength department.

InkdMuscle
04-28-09, 11:01 am
Another thing you can try is doing things with the non-dominant hand outside of the gym. I myself am a lefty, and got tired of being slightly weaker on my right (only 1 or 2 reps, but still noticeable), so tried doing more common daily activities with the right hand. It sucks at first but you get used to it and become adapted to the other side of the body, making it slightly easier to focus that side and control it.

Some things you can try are:

Eating with the other hand
Drinking with the other hand (grap your water bottle with the right instead of left)
Shaving (i wouldn't suggest this at first, or starting off with a blade, go with an electric first, work up to a blade)
Writing. Just getting used to the grip can help you more than you think. (Don't do this for any main documents or anything however)

As for in the gym, I find going with the non-dominant hand first helps, but sometimes I'll go with the dominant first and just do some break sets on the other arm (or whatever it's called): i.e. I get 10 reps on my left, but only 8 on right, so I take a 2 sec break and get 2 more on the right.

Im gonna try that. And hopefully the strength will come up. I hold off on the shaving part though. LOL