PDA

View Full Version : yet another deadlift question

Nozzleman
04-28-09, 6:18 pm
I just started incorporating deadlifts into my routine a little over 2 months ago. My question is, I have a family history of bad lower backs, and when I did normal deadlifts, I would notice just a small amount of nerve pain. Recently, I have been setting the bar on a squat rack and doing the deadlift with the bar just being below my knees. I never notice any pain, and I feel like its working pretty well. Do any of you guys ever do this? Is it still beneficial?

mritter3
04-28-09, 6:19 pm
those would be called rack deads and there a great exercise i switch back and forth between those and the floor deads...

BeastCook
04-28-09, 6:28 pm
I just started incorporating deadlifts into my routine a little over 2 months ago. My question is, I have a family history of bad lower backs, and when I did normal deadlifts, I would notice just a small amount of nerve pain. Recently, I have been setting the bar on a squat rack and doing the deadlift with the bar just being below my knees. I never notice any pain, and I feel like its working pretty well. Do any of you guys ever do this? Is it still beneficial?

if your bodybuilding then rack deads are a safer version and very effective for your lower back, but if your going for brute strength switch back and forth

J Wong
04-28-09, 7:05 pm
if your bodybuilding then rack deads are a safer version and very effective for your lower back, but if your going for brute strength switch back and forth

Bodybuilders do full deadlifts too. Deadlifts are an awesome mass exercise.

Nuno
04-28-09, 8:18 pm
Just incorporated rack deads and i'm very happy with the suggestion of others on this site.

I also have a bad back and i found rack dead's a good alternative. I also found i can lift heavier beacuse of the ROM.

Good luck mate.

Nozzleman
04-28-09, 10:55 pm
good shit fellas...thanks for the input. I am pretty pumped though....2 months ago I barely pulled a 275 and today I got 335 for 5 clean reps. gunna keep hittin it hard. hopefully gunna break through my plateau of being 161 lbs at the same time!
!

Cstlfx
04-28-09, 11:26 pm
Try switching your deadlift style to Sumo stance and see if that helps alleviate you back strain.

Full deadlifts are best, but doing them heavy too often will wreck you. Gotta switch everything up.

K Stro24
04-29-09, 9:54 pm
hyper extensions will also loosen and stretch your lower back, but rack deads is a safe bet at staying injury free if its working for you, but try the hypers before the deads, should do some good

Moe Hawk
04-30-09, 2:18 am
Those are rack deads that you are doing and though effective are more suitable to powerlifting purposes. Try what others have said like hyperextensions, glute ham raises, supermans, etc.

Also, make sure to stretch out your back and hips via figure 4's, toe touches, groin stretching and a stretch called the lotus.

Build up your hamstrings through RDL's which don't put as much strain on the lower back. Build up your core through arched back good mornings and ab exercises like hanging leg raises, dumbbell twists etc.

Cstlfx also made a goodpoint about switching to sumo. That's another good option.