PDA

View Full Version : What Brought You To The FORVM & What Have You Learned?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Appollonian
09-10-12, 1:08 pm
Of course this is just an internet forum. Anyone can see that... But to me, to say that it's just a forum is largely missin the point. The forum is just the vehicle but the real thing that matters are the people who are here. The people who invest their time, give back, make connections, and the like. The people who may get riled up, I think it's in large due to the simple fact that they've invested a lot in the place... No, not the "forum" per se, but the relationships, the members, everything that the forum gives life to I think. Everyone's got a different relationship with this place and that's a good thing. But I can honestly say that this place has changed a lot of lives....

I'm definitely not saying it's not something to be invested in, I was really refering to threads I remember from a few years back (for some reason multiple keto threads seem to come to mind) when people had the 'my was is best' mentality when really a good discussion could and did take place between folks with widely varying views.

I don't see anything wrong with being invested and putting in effort to make this a place we can be proud of and I try in what little ways I can to do just that. What I mean by 'just a forum' is that if you spend more time on here that you could dedicate to spending time with your family, working out, making a living or whatever, then that's a problem. I myself have been guilty of doing that and it's not healthy for me or anyone who is reading my content at that time.

Universal Rep
09-10-12, 1:32 pm
I'm definitely not saying it's not something to be invested in, I was really refering to threads I remember from a few years back (for some reason multiple keto threads seem to come to mind) when people had the 'my was is best' mentality when really a good discussion could and did take place between folks with widely varying views.

I don't see anything wrong with being invested and putting in effort to make this a place we can be proud of and I try in what little ways I can to do just that. What I mean by 'just a forum' is that if you spend more time on here that you could dedicate to spending time with your family, working out, making a living or whatever, then that's a problem. I myself have been guilty of doing that and it's not healthy for me or anyone who is reading my content at that time.

I remember those threads from years ago. I also remember other threads over the years that produced the same kinds of resonses and feelings from other members. I guess wut Im trying to say is that the FORVM hasn't really changed all that much IMHO. About your other point, I agree 100%. This is a good place but its not a substitute for the world outside, haha... That said, I do sometimes find it easier to relate to sum things posted here than in that world outside.

B.D.Smash
09-10-12, 11:21 pm
i came here originally because of girl troubles to be honest.

I had really lost my way because I was trying really hard to hold us together and had forgotten about me.

reading a lot of the posts here...they are so positive. Everyone has problems in their life. And while some people's problems may seem trivial, it taught me that even though they might be trivial to me they are fucking huge to the person having them and that i can ridicule them for what i might think isn't important, or i can support that person instead, i can give them a shovel and help them dig their way back out of the hole they are in and in doing so, be the person that i want to be. in doing that...i'd hope that i perpetuate that attitude that i've found here from a lot of you.

we all come here for guidance. Either to ask for it or to give it. I come here mainly seeking it.

and i'd like to say thanks to everyone that's helped

Universal Rep
09-11-12, 1:45 pm
i came here originally because of girl troubles to be honest.

I had really lost my way because I was trying really hard to hold us together and had forgotten about me.

reading a lot of the posts here...they are so positive. Everyone has problems in their life. And while some people's problems may seem trivial, it taught me that even though they might be trivial to me they are fucking huge to the person having them and that i can ridicule them for what i might think isn't important, or i can support that person instead, i can give them a shovel and help them dig their way back out of the hole they are in and in doing so, be the person that i want to be. in doing that...i'd hope that i perpetuate that attitude that i've found here from a lot of you.

we all come here for guidance. Either to ask for it or to give it. I come here mainly seeking it.

and i'd like to say thanks to everyone that's helped

Solid post.