PDA

View Full Version : only 4 minutes of cardio = tabata training???

Pizzalamp
04-30-09, 11:49 pm
what do you guys think of this?!

http://www.squidoo.com/tabatatraining

The basis of Tabata Training is 4 minutes of intense interval training. What you are doing is taking an exercise we'll use sprints as an example here.

Sprint as hard as you can for 20 seconds

Walk for 10 seconds

Repeat 7 more times for a total of 8 sets.

So what you have is a total of 4 minutes workout time.

Tabata Training can be done with a number of different exercises the idea is to use an exercise that gets the whole body involved or at least the major muscle groups.Tabata Training can be done with Barbells, Dumbells, Kettlebells or just Bodyweight exercises. I'll give you some other exercises and routines to try in a minute but first let me give you some background and how Tabatas work.

Tabata Training was developed by Izumi Tabata (imagine that) at the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, Japan. They did a study on comparing the effects of moderate intensity endurance(aerobics) and high endurance intermittent training(tabata training intervals) on VO2 max and anerobic capacity.

To cut to the results of the study: the moderate intensity group training program produced a significant increase in VO2 max of about 10%, but had no effect on anaerobic capacity. The high intensity group improved their VO2 max by about 14% while anaerobic capacity improved by 28%. The study was done over a six week period. Both groups working out 5 days per week.

sodapop
05-01-09, 8:25 am
Hmm, this is pretty interesting. It seems to me like it would work though, given that you're sprinting hard for a lot of that time.

live2lift
05-01-09, 12:41 pm
Ive tried this on a stationary bike before because that is what the original Tabata test was done on and the intensity level was through the roof. My take on it was that it was good for improving your endurance but you can overtrain on it rather quickly if too much was done. I would suggest that you should do it three days a week max with at least one day off in between and if you are cutting or just feel you need some cardio on the other days then make sure to do low intensity otherwise you will not let your body recover.

fenix237
05-01-09, 1:43 pm
pretty interesting Pizza- i'm always reading whether HIIT or lower intensity cardio in your target heart rate is better for burning fat. i would think to incorporate both for max results would maximize results.

even though it's a never ending debate whether fasted cardio is better for burning fat, i've been doing fasted am cardio immedietely upon waking with decent results.

on another note:

have you ever tried or heard about an HIIT routine like this:

week 1: (M-W-F) you start with a 4 minute circuit doing 30 sec jog, 30 sec run, X 4 for a total of 4 minutes.

week 2 you add 1 minute (30 sec jog 30 sec run) for a total of 5 minutes

each week you add 1 minute until you are completeting a 16 minute workout

it's supposed to burn loads of fat

Pizzalamp
05-01-09, 11:17 pm
im gonna try these tommorow morning

Hmm, this is pretty interesting. It seems to me like it would work though, given that you're sprinting hard for a lot of that time.im gonna try this tommorow morning...from what i hear most cant make it past 4 rounds on their first time trying lol

Ive tried this on a stationary bike before because that is what the original Tabata test was done on and the intensity level was through the roof. My take on it was that it was good for improving your endurance but you can overtrain on it rather quickly if too much was done. I would suggest that you should do it three days a week max with at least one day off in between and if you are cutting or just feel you need some cardio on the other days then make sure to do low intensity otherwise you will not let your body recover.
yeah it seems like you wouldnt want to do this every day...def looks intense

pretty interesting Pizza- i'm always reading whether HIIT or lower intensity cardio in your target heart rate is better for burning fat. i would think to incorporate both for max results would maximize results.

even though it's a never ending debate whether fasted cardio is better for burning fat, i've been doing fasted am cardio immedietely upon waking with decent results.

on another note:

have you ever tried or heard about an HIIT routine like this:

week 1: (M-W-F) you start with a 4 minute circuit doing 30 sec jog, 30 sec run, X 4 for a total of 4 minutes.

week 2 you add 1 minute (30 sec jog 30 sec run) for a total of 5 minutes

each week you add 1 minute until you are completeting a 16 minute workout

it's supposed to burn loads of fat
this sounds interesting-i will have to try

joelast
05-02-09, 8:08 am
I've done this on a spinner bike before and the pump in my quads was ridiculous. I think it's undeniable that any type of sprinting interval like this is effective at increasing VO2 max and anerobic capacity, but as far as fat loss goes I feel like this is kind of useless, the workout only last 7 minutes, thats not very much time to get your heart rate up and to burn calories/ fat. I like to do this to "jump start" a cardio session, I usually follow it up with 20-25 min at a moderate level on the bike.