PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Training Advice...

D-Kev
05-01-09, 7:31 pm
Hi,
I am looking for some training advice.
I just finished 13 weeks of a strength program and I'm currently
taking a week off, for some physical and mental recoup time.

I trained M, W and F and would alternate workouts A B A or B A B.
Workout A is Squat, Bench, Deadlift.
Workout B is Squat, Press, Row.
I started to add Powercleans before the rows within the last 5 B workouts. I always added reps or small weight increments each time and focused on my form.

My numbers for the lifts are:
Squat-185 for 4x5
Incline DB Bench 55's for 3x5
Flat DB Bench 60's for 5x5
BB press 90 for 3x5
Deadlift - 190 for 6x3
BB Row- 135 for 3x5
Power clean 95 for 6x3

I am 5'-7.5" and 150, lean 15% BF at most. Eating clean bodybuilder style helps me deal with my incredibly slow metabolism...
I know my stats are low but this program did allow me to constantly improve and gain a couple pounds. My goal is to add lean mass and actually look like I lift.

I liked making the strength increases each week but I def. want hypertrophy\size increases.
Should I pick back up with this or a similar program? Or switch to more of a bodybuilding split, (which was what I had been doing before...) ?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

BeastCook
05-01-09, 7:52 pm
Hi,

I started to add Powercleans before the rows within the last 5 B workouts. I always added reps or small weight increments each time and focused on my form.

Squat-185 for 4x5
BB press 90 for 3x5
Deadlift - 190 for 6x3
BB Row- 135 for 3x5
Power clean 95 for 6x3

I am 5'-7.5" and 150, lean 15% BF at most. Eating clean bodybuilder style helps me deal with my incredibly slow metabolism...
I know my stats are low but this program did allow me to constantly improve and gain a couple pounds. My goal is to add lean mass and actually look like I lift.

I liked making the strength increases each week but I def. want hypertrophy\size increases.
Should I pick back up with this or a similar program? Or switch to more of a bodybuilding split, (which was what I had been doing before...) ?

thats kinda like a strongman/powerlifting routine sorta.......but if you switch back to a bodybuilding routine, that will require alot more patience on the strength/size part.

Ir0nClad
05-01-09, 8:12 pm
Hi,

Squat-185 for 4x5
BB press 90 for 3x5
Deadlift - 190 for 6x3
BB Row- 135 for 3x5
Power clean 95 for 6x3

Good work, I would recomend an intermediate strength routine now, where you'll be adding weight week to week rather than workout to workout. Madcow's 5x5 intermediate or bill starrs intermediate are both good programs to do.

This page has some of the routine's on it http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5

Beast Genetics
05-01-09, 8:52 pm
Hi,

Squat-185 for 4x5
BB press 90 for 3x5
Deadlift - 190 for 6x3
BB Row- 135 for 3x5
Power clean 95 for 6x3

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! I don't see why both aren't possible, I think you can pick up lean mass on this setup and if your looking for the bodybuilder look. Every once and a while switch up your routine meaning-(if you are seeing strength gains but feel your arms are visually lacking find spaces in your workout to focus on arms that day) Make your own workout as you go according to your needs. With that said... you still have to use common sense when pairing up different muscle groups in the same days, but it's attainable.

shizz702
05-01-09, 9:03 pm
I would stick with that program for now and milk it for all it's worth. You still have plenty of strength gains left in you, and with strength, comes size.

machineman
05-01-09, 9:06 pm
This has worked well for me....

Workout A
Squat/Leg Press
Bench (bb and db mix up every couple weeks...also add incline and decline)
Chest
Tri's

Workout B
Deadlift (SLDL, Conventional, Sumo, Rack pulls....mix these up as well)
Standing Overhead Press (also mix in seated press, db press, 1 arm db press, push press)
Rows (bent over, Yates, db)
Curls (bb, bent bar, db)

Keep reps low....3-6 per set...add weight....go heavy and shoot for singles....add drop sets at the end.....and make sure to eat....LOTS! Like I said, this has worked well for me, but you will have to try different things and see how your body responds....see what it likes and what it doesn't......Alternate A and B as you have been......