PDA

View Full Version : Isometrics?

sodapop
05-07-09, 1:15 pm
I read about this in the book, Bruce Lee: The Art of Expressing the Human Body.

Isometric exercise or "isometrics" are a type of strength training in which the joint angle and muscle length do not change during contraction (compared to concentric or eccentric contractions, called isotonic movements). Isometrics are done in static positions, rather than being dynamic through a range of motion. The joint and muscle are either worked against an immovable force (overcoming isometric) or are held in a static position while opposed by resistance (yielding isometric).

-Wikipedia

According to the book I mentioned above, isometrics are great for building strength quickly, and can be done seven days a week.

I was thinking that this type of exercise (along with lifting) would be good for Jiu Jitsu, if it is as good as claimed. I would probably not do it seven days a week, but rather on my off days as a form of "active rest".

Anyone have any experience with isometrics? Would it be a good addition to lifting?

sodapop
05-07-09, 8:46 pm
Anyone at all with any experience here?

cunningham_cody
05-07-09, 8:51 pm
isometrics are great. I do them all the time especially getting ready for a show. i like to hit poses in front of the mirror post workout and between sets. next time u train a muscle flex it really hard between sets. really focus on contracting the muscle. example after doing a set of bench presses flex your chest by pushing your hand togethers holding for a few seconds.

Jwnelsn1
05-07-09, 10:54 pm
brother,

yes, isometrics are a phenominal way to add strength and size...what you're doing is placing unnatural stress on a muscle, much like you're doing when you're lifting. however, the difference is the duration of the contraction of the muscle. due to the extended length of contraction, the muscles are forced to recruit more and more muscle fibers. so, more and more muscle fibers means, more and more utilization of that particular muscle and it's stabilizers which leads to great strength capabilities, b/c the body has now learned to recruit "unused fibers" which ultimately leads to MORE SIZE!!!

i use isometric work CONSTANTLY with every single client i have. not only is it a great way to put on some size, gaining strength, but great for cutting as well b/c of how these types of exercises recruit thousands of new fibers every minute. enjoy brother

sodapop
05-07-09, 10:55 pm
brother,

yes, isometrics are a phenominal way to add strength and size...what you're doing is placing unnatural stress on a muscle, much like you're doing when you're lifting. however, the difference is the duration of the contraction of the muscle. due to the extended length of contraction, the muscles are forced to recruit more and more muscle fibers. so, more and more muscle fibers means, more and more utilization of that particular muscle and it's stabilizers which leads to great strength capabilities, b/c the body has now learned to recruit "unused fibers" which ultimately leads to MORE SIZE!!!

i use isometric work CONSTANTLY with every single client i have. not only is it a great way to put on some size, gaining strength, but great for cutting as well b/c of how these types of exercises recruit thousands of new fibers every minute. enjoy brother

Thanks for the info.

You mentioned that it's great when cutting. Would it have adverse effects to do iso on a bulk?

Jwnelsn1
05-07-09, 10:59 pm
brother,

no not in the least...if you're eating enough you'll be fine...when bulking stick with your heavy, compound lifts..you know the routine...when you hit that wall though, which we all do, use your iso's along with your main exercises. the strength/stability complex taxes the body to the extreme and will help you put on some size..but only if you eat..if you're not growing you're not eating

rwood317
05-07-09, 11:14 pm
can someone give some examples of isometric workouts for like the chest and arms

sodapop
05-07-09, 11:16 pm
can someone give some examples of isometric workouts for like the chest and arms

Here's an example of an Iso bicep workout:

You have like a platform you stand on with a chain attached to it, with a handle attached to the chain. You stand on the platform and pull the handle up like a curl, but you cant move it obviously, because you're standing on it.