PDA

View Full Version : PAM or butter or olive oil?

EBO13
05-14-09, 1:20 pm
if im on a cut what is the best thing to use to grease the pan? for either eggs or chicken or anything i decide to throw in it?

C.Coronato
05-14-09, 1:24 pm
It depends on your macros brother. Im gonna go with not butter. EVOO maybe, and Pam yes.

SQUAT or DIE!
05-14-09, 1:32 pm
It depends on your macros brother. Im gonna go with not butter. EVOO maybe, and Pam yes.

EVOO if you need fats in your diet, and id def go with pam, it has a very minimal amount of fat in it... (0g per serving, but a serving is not enough to coat a pan)

Ozzy27
05-14-09, 1:55 pm
PAM if you have to cook.definitely
Olive oil to dress a salad.
Avoid Butter on a cut.

GJN5002
05-14-09, 2:18 pm
Butter - I do AD so I eat lots of fat and butter is legit. If youre doing the traditonal restricted calorie with carbs I would avoid butter.
Olive Oil - not good for cooking because it has a low smoke point. I use it on eggs but I keep the heat really low.
PAM - I'm going to say this is you rbets bet on a cut.

Macademia nut oil is nice to cook with. It has a really good flavor and a higher smoke point. Just dont cook with canola oil and your ok.

Fury317
05-14-09, 2:36 pm
Just dont cook with canola oil and your ok.

Why do you say this? Canola oil is fine for cooking with. High MUFA and PUFA and a relatively high smoke point. Canola and veg oil are actually what you SHOULD be cooking with.

Gymrat1944
05-14-09, 2:40 pm
EVOO has a low smoke point, but regular olive oil is fine for everyday cooking. Personally, I would go with the olive oil. Butter is better than it was once believed (the saturated fats in butter are better for you that the trans fats added to margarine to make it solid), and Pam claims to be fat free but only because the suggested serving contains <.5g of fat. You may also want to look at avocado oil as it is supposed to be one of the best oils around and has a very high smoke point (not sure on price though).

GJN5002
05-14-09, 2:43 pm
Why do you say this? Canola oil is fine for cooking with. High MUFA and PUFA and a relatively high smoke point. Canola and veg oil are actually what you SHOULD be cooking with.

"One little-known source of trans fat is canola / rapeseed oil. The trans fat occurs as a result of processing, which takes place at high temperature. The raw seed begins with a high level of beneficial omega-3 oils, however these tend to oxidise during processing producing off, rancid odours. During deodorisation, some of the omega-3 fatty acids are converted to trans. "
source: tfx.org.uk

Fury317
05-14-09, 3:34 pm
"One little-known source of trans fat is canola / rapeseed oil. The trans fat occurs as a result of processing, which takes place at high temperature. The raw seed begins with a high level of beneficial omega-3 oils, however these tend to oxidise during processing producing off, rancid odours. During deodorisation, some of the omega-3 fatty acids are converted to trans. "
source: tfx.org.uk

This means that 1. the canola oil is being processed (ANYTHING that is processed should be avoided) and 2. because of the processing, the odor is a by product. The people doing the processing try to remove the odor (most likely with chemicals) with causes the cis configuration to a trans configuration.

Pure canola oil is perfectly ok, and very beneficial, to use in everyday cooking. Teh highest temp that an average person would use to cook his/her food in the home would be around 200-250 degrees F. This paragraph is speaking of extremely high temps, past the smoking point, used in processing. The smoking point of Canola oil is 400-410 degrees F.

Not sure about the source either. Its not "scientific" and its certainly not reputable.

The only reason I bring this up is I dont want people to stray away from canola oil by reading misleading information. Its too beneficial to pass up.

GJN5002
05-14-09, 4:11 pm
This means that 1. the canola oil is being processed (ANYTHING that is processed should be avoided) and 2. because of the processing, the odor is a by product. The people doing the processing try to remove the odor (most likely with chemicals) with causes the cis configuration to a trans configuration.

Pure canola oil is perfectly ok, and very beneficial, to use in everyday cooking. Teh highest temp that an average person would use to cook his/her food in the home would be around 200-250 degrees F. This paragraph is speaking of extremely high temps, past the smoking point, used in processing. The smoking point of Canola oil is 400-410 degrees F.

Not sure about the source either. Its not "scientific" and its certainly not reputable.

The only reason I bring this up is I dont want people to stray away from canola oil by reading misleading information. Its too beneficial to pass up.

Haha, yea I'm at work so I dont have all my science articles saved in my favs and I didnt want to just say because I say so. I just like olive oil because they dont have to work around things like erucic acid and do gene splicing of the seeds to get an acceptable seed.

I'd be interested in any info/articles you have about the benefits of canola oil because I'm unaware of them being as good as olive oil/macademia nut oils. Are you saying , when they produce canola they no longer use high temps to process it?

Fury317
05-14-09, 7:35 pm
Haha, yea I'm at work so I dont have all my science articles saved in my favs and I didnt want to just say because I say so. I just like olive oil because they dont have to work around things like erucic acid and do gene splicing of the seeds to get an acceptable seed.

I'd be interested in any info/articles you have about the benefits of canola oil because I'm unaware of them being as good as olive oil/macademia nut oils. Are you saying , when they produce canola they no longer use high temps to process it?

Ill see what I can get. Ill speak to my former professors and current professors on any research they have done (many are PhDs and RDs)

Olive Oil vs mac nut vs canola is just a matter of preferance. They each contain different amounts of MUFAs and PUFAs and each has its own beneficial properties. There was some bogus article going around the web that claimed the rapeseed was detrimental to human health. Did you read that by chance?

If I had a scanner, Id scan my textbooks from class haha. Fuck they charge me an arm and a leg so I might as well put em to some use. But Ill see what e-articles I can find.

If youre curious though I would suggest searching PubMed.com or other peer reviewed articles written by PhDs and MDs.

mritter3
05-14-09, 9:04 pm
olive oil, always.

GJN5002
05-15-09, 8:49 am
Ill see what I can get. Ill speak to my former professors and current professors on any research they have done (many are PhDs and RDs)

Olive Oil vs mac nut vs canola is just a matter of preferance. They each contain different amounts of MUFAs and PUFAs and each has its own beneficial properties. There was some bogus article going around the web that claimed the rapeseed was detrimental to human health. Did you read that by chance?

If I had a scanner, Id scan my textbooks from class haha. Fuck they charge me an arm and a leg so I might as well put em to some use. But Ill see what e-articles I can find.

If youre curious though I would suggest searching PubMed.com or other peer reviewed articles written by PhDs and MDs.

I hear you on the text books. I graduated last year so I don thave to worry about that now, just the school loans. What are you studying?

I've read the hoax articles going around, the only thing I was confused about was how its processed; if they still use high heat to process. I'll do some searching.

Fury317
05-15-09, 10:45 am
I hear you on the text books. I graduated last year so I don thave to worry about that now, just the school loans. What are you studying?

I've read the hoax articles going around, the only thing I was confused about was how its processed; if they still use high heat to process. I'll do some searching.

Ill try to check it out too. As far as I know, and I could be wrong, the production of canola oil does not yeild trans fats.

Im studying Human Nutrition/Dietetics and Exercise Science at Ohio State...so needless to say school is killing me haha. But Ill be done in less than a year so its cool.

JMC
05-15-09, 1:04 pm
Right on... you guys are getting down in the weeds here on the Canola oil!

To the OP, imo, use the 0 cal PAM or equivalent if you're concerned about it. If used as prescribed it should be a non-factor.