PDA

View Full Version : My Journey to 450 lb deadlift

mahscles
05-17-09, 10:23 am
i am a young BB. I have been lifting for a while but only started my BB journey a few months ago. since the start i have gained over 30 lb. of muscle and lost over 40 lb. of fat. 1 1/2 months ago i had trouble getting 295 off the floor and juts 3 days ago i got 365 up. my goal now is to get to 450. i know i can do it. im not sure how long its going to take, but i know im going to bust my ass until i can lift it. with my new back exercises i had went up 50 lbs in my deadlift in 2 weeks (from 315 once to 315 6 times and 365 once). Brothers and sisters i will do this. thanks for reading and i hope you stick around for the ride

wedge
05-17-09, 5:10 pm
Best of luck with your journey my friend. A few other animals are chasing the elusive 450, check out this link-http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?p=673886#post673886

mahscles
05-17-09, 5:29 pm
Best of luck with your journey my friend. A few other animals are chasing the elusive 450, check out this link-http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?p=673886#post673886

yeah im moving one step at a time brother. thanks

wedge
05-18-09, 2:34 pm
What's your back split looking like? If you're not doing them, I would toss in some rack pulls and pulling from a deficit. These tips come from Sgt. Rock and are/will be helping me in my journey.

mahscles
05-20-09, 11:39 am
What's your back split looking like? If you're not doing them, I would toss in some rack pulls and pulling from a deficit. These tips come from Sgt. Rock and are/will be helping me in my journey.

i am throwing them in too. i also do some stiff legs just to strengthen to lock it out. it is actually back and shoulder day today so i plan on throwing in some rack pulls when i begin my workout instead of last like i usually do. Sgt. Rock does have some great ideas though. The man who owns my gym i go to is a competing powerlifter named Niko Huslander. you can look him up on youtube if you'd like. He helps me with a lot of the heavy lifting stuff i need. He doesnt help much in the bodybuilding area though. thats why i am so glad i have this site to go to.

wedge
05-22-09, 8:29 am
i am throwing them in too. i also do some stiff legs just to strengthen to lock it out. it is actually back and shoulder day today so i plan on throwing in some rack pulls when i begin my workout instead of last like i usually do. Sgt. Rock does have some great ideas though. The man who owns my gym i go to is a competing powerlifter named Niko Huslander. you can look him up on youtube if you'd like. He helps me with a lot of the heavy lifting stuff i need. He doesnt help much in the bodybuilding area though. thats why i am so glad i have this site to go to.

Nice. How's the progress going?

mahscles
05-22-09, 11:34 pm
Nice. How's the progress going?

well i just had my back day a few days ago (sorry it took so long to respond, things have been crazy) i threw in some extra sets of rack pulls and stiff legs. Im not feeling my prime right now, i was going to go for a new PR tomorrow on deads but i am going to wait until monday and throw them in. i have a system to what i do before hand and since i will be going to my brothers gym tomorrow i cant do what i wanna do, partially because its always so freakin over crowded in that gym. but i like to throw down weight with him because afterwards we can catch up. but i plan on going up at least 15lbs next time, every pound counts in this journey. you know how that is. how is your progress coming along?

mahscles
05-23-09, 9:22 pm
well today was a leg/back day. i did rack pulls with 365 for reps, which was my last PR on deads. i did that for 5 sets of 6 after i did stiff legs to get my back nice and stretched out. this was all after my leg workout. im not going to get into detail with my leg workout. It all went well and i still managed to get some cardio in. it was an amazing workout and i am looking forward to my next PR. thanks for following me in my journey thus far. i hope you guys keep sticking around for the ride.

wedge
05-26-09, 11:03 am
well i just had my back day a few days ago (sorry it took so long to respond, things have been crazy) i threw in some extra sets of rack pulls and stiff legs. Im not feeling my prime right now, i was going to go for a new PR tomorrow on deads but i am going to wait until monday and throw them in. i have a system to what i do before hand and since i will be going to my brothers gym tomorrow i cant do what i wanna do, partially because its always so freakin over crowded in that gym. but i like to throw down weight with him because afterwards we can catch up. but i plan on going up at least 15lbs next time, every pound counts in this journey. you know how that is. how is your progress coming along?

My progress is coming. I have some more deficit lifts and rack pulls on the agenda today. Next Monday I am going to translate that to the floor.

well today was a leg/back day. i did rack pulls with 365 for reps, which was my last PR on deads. i did that for 5 sets of 6 after i did stiff legs to get my back nice and stretched out. this was all after my leg workout. im not going to get into detail with my leg workout. It all went well and i still managed to get some cardio in. it was an amazing workout and i am looking forward to my next PR. thanks for following me in my journey thus far. i hope you guys keep sticking around for the ride.

365 for sets of 6. Looking good. Looking forward to seeing how that translates to deads.
Keep up the good work bro.

mahscles
05-26-09, 6:53 pm
My progress is coming. I have some more deficit lifts and rack pulls on the agenda today. Next Monday I am going to translate that to the floor.

365 for sets of 6. Looking good. Looking forward to seeing how that translates to deads.
Keep up the good work bro.

thanks man. me too man. pretty siked about it. you keep up the good work too brother. ill keep you posted about it.

DANO
05-26-09, 7:12 pm
you will get to 450 sooner than you think...pulls are looking good!

mahscles
05-26-09, 7:14 pm
you will get to 450 sooner than you think...pulls are looking good!

thanks brother im trying my best. i think im doing good for a 17 year old. stay strong

DANO
05-26-09, 7:22 pm
thanks brother im trying my best. i think im doing good for a 17 year old. stay strong

You are dooing damn good...I wish I would have found the iron at 17!!

mahscles
05-26-09, 7:32 pm
You are dooing damn good...I wish I would have found the iron at 17!!

i think it found me. i was born to be a BB in my point of view. I believe all of us that are doing this now were born to pay our dues in this battlefield. its my passion and my lifestyle. im the only kid i know who writes down what he eats and has alarms on his phone to tell him when to eat his plain chicken and rice, or plain tuna, or egg whites with oatmeal. its all in my blood i think.

DANO
05-26-09, 7:44 pm
That kind of dedication will take you far in life, not just in the gym

mahscles
05-26-09, 8:08 pm
That kind of dedication will take you far in life, not just in the gym

right now the gym is life, besides my gf and my family of course.

wedge
05-26-09, 11:25 pm
I am very impressed with your work ethic at such a young age. Keep it up and the sky is the limit bro.

mahscles
05-27-09, 9:39 pm
I am very impressed with your work ethic at such a young age. Keep it up and the sky is the limit bro.

thank you. i think the problem is so many people are afraid to progress further, faster so they remain in the same spot and get bored then it ends.

mahscles
05-28-09, 6:32 pm
well brothers i got up 385 today and im feeling pretty good. this is what my lifts looked like

135x8
180x8
225x6
315x2
345x2
365x1
375x1
385x1

it was a really good day, besides the shit belt i had to use. it was doing more harm than good.

DANO
05-28-09, 7:46 pm
well brothers i got up 385 today and im feeling pretty good. this is what my lifts looked like

135x8
180x8
225x6
315x2
345x2
365x1
375x1
385x1

it was a really good day, besides the shit belt i had to use. it was doing more harm than good.

Gettin' up there! What is your PR? My advige...Get your own belt! thats what I did!

mahscles
05-28-09, 7:48 pm
Gettin' up there! What is your PR? My advige...Get your own belt! thats what I did!

385 is the new PR. it is my belt but i am taking it back because it isnt worth a shit. last time my PR was 365 so i jumped 20 lbs. thats without straps of course.

mahscles
05-28-09, 7:51 pm
im gonna get an inzer belt after i take this stupid thing back. i had another belt but i decided to try this new one out. ive never used other people's belts. i dont like to risk them saying that i did something to it or something.

DANO
05-28-09, 7:56 pm
Good call, I used to use the "gym belts" but it is like you said..they usually arn't worth a shit! haha Congrats on the PR bro!

mahscles
05-28-09, 7:59 pm
Good call, I used to use the "gym belts" but it is like you said..they usually arn't worth a shit! haha Congrats on the PR bro!

thanks brother. im watching your journey as well. good luck

mahscles
05-28-09, 11:30 pm

what is your PR right now?

wedge
05-28-09, 11:46 pm
Nice job on the 385 bro. Looking forward to you pulling 4 plates per side.

DANO
05-29-09, 11:51 am
what is your PR right now?

My dead PR is 425...I hope to make it 430 on monday...

wedge
05-29-09, 12:28 pm

Thought you were waiting two weeks to max bro...

DANO
05-29-09, 12:32 pm
Thought you were waiting two weeks to max bro...

Stranger thing have happened *wink*

If I go in feeling full of fire I might just try for it...but otherwise I will rep out.

mahscles
05-29-09, 5:13 pm

cool man. im going for 405 in two weeks. i think i will get it

mahscles
05-29-09, 5:40 pm
Nice job on the 385 bro. Looking forward to you pulling 4 plates per side.

me too bro. the guy who owns my gym says he sees me pulling it in two weeks with the way i pulled the 385.

wedge
05-29-09, 5:55 pm
me too bro. the guy who owns my gym says he sees me pulling it in two weeks with the way i pulled the 385.

Good deal bro. Best of luck.

DANO
05-29-09, 6:33 pm
You are all over it bro! we will be watching...

mahscles
05-29-09, 9:40 pm
Good deal bro. Best of luck.

You are all over it bro! we will be watching...

thanks brothers. im glad i have you guys to keep me straight and back me up.

mahscles
05-30-09, 8:22 pm
fuck me man my gym is closed til tuesday. the owner is sponsoring a PL competition.

wedge
06-01-09, 5:01 pm
fuck me man my gym is closed til tuesday. the owner is sponsoring a PL competition.

Eat and rest and take in the competition.

Also, if you haven't yet, I'd suggest starting up a journey in the training section. I did a few months back and have reached new heights and weights with Dano and others around to kick me in the ass if I get complacent.

DANO
06-01-09, 5:21 pm

Also, if you haven't yet, I'd suggest starting up a journey in the training section. I did a few months back and have reached new heights and weights with Dano and others around to kick me in the ass if I get complacent.

Yep I agree with wedge....but it only took me 2 years to start my own journey! haha

mahscles
06-02-09, 3:08 pm

i keep meaning to make one. today is the day i go back to the gym so im pretty happy. im all geared up and ready to go!

mahscles
06-02-09, 3:09 pm
Yep I agree with wedge....but it only took me 2 years to start my own journey! haha

haha prolly about how long its gonna take me...i might tonight though idk

DANO
06-02-09, 3:14 pm
haha prolly about how long its gonna take me...i might tonight though idk

Do it bro. It only helps!

Iceiktitan
06-02-09, 3:24 pm
450 will be within your reach in no time brother. Like you said, get that personal belt because gym belts usually just don't feel "right". Keep pulling hard!

mahscles
06-02-09, 3:38 pm
im working brother. i have my own belt but its shit too so im getting a 13mm lever belt. only 68 bucks

mahscles
06-03-09, 4:34 pm

ok i made a journey. guess i'll have to start keeping up on it.

DANO
06-03-09, 4:47 pm
found it and subbed to it!

mahscles
06-03-09, 7:50 pm
found it and subbed to it!

thanks man

mahscles
06-05-09, 1:43 pm
well unfortunately i will be in MD next week with my dad which means deadlifts wont be happening...gonna have to work back and legs with the equipment he has at his house using all the weight. he only has like 185lbs there!!! this is gonna suck big time. but i love hanging out with my dad so its a sacrifice.

wedge
06-05-09, 2:07 pm
well unfortunately i will be in MD next week with my dad which means deadlifts wont be happening...gonna have to work back and legs with the equipment he has at his house using all the weight. he only has like 185lbs there!!! this is gonna suck big time. but i love hanging out with my dad so its a sacrifice.

Do high reps. Give your body a change of pace.

mahscles
06-05-09, 2:10 pm
Do high reps. Give your body a change of pace.

good plan.

IRON_SOLDIER
06-10-09, 3:26 pm
good plan.

I haventy been seen anymore gym workouts u still doin it brother.

mahscles
06-10-09, 6:32 pm
I haventy been seen anymore gym workouts u still doin it brother.

check my other journey. thats the one i post it up on. this is just for the deadlifts.

IRON_SOLDIER
06-11-09, 9:36 pm

135x8
180x8
225x6
315x2
345x2
365x1
375x1
385x1

Hey bro next week will go for the deadlift and hit a new lvl

mahscles
06-11-09, 9:38 pm
Hey bro next week will go for the deadlift and hit a new lvl

405...or more is my plan

IRON_SOLDIER
06-11-09, 9:39 pm
405...or more is my plan

Bro i seen u on the deads dude u got it like a fat kid on cake lol

mahscles
06-11-09, 9:42 pm
Bro i seen u on the deads dude u got it like a fat kid on cake lol

yeah buddy! nothin but a peanut

wedge
06-15-09, 8:57 pm
How's the hunt for 450 going bro?

mahscles
06-16-09, 9:55 pm
How's the hunt for 450 going bro?

well friday i am going for the big 405. i am going to go in and give 200% and just lift that son of a bitch.

DANO
06-17-09, 11:24 am
well friday i am going for the big 405. i am going to go in and give 200% and just lift that son of a bitch.

Good answer!

wedge
06-17-09, 12:05 pm
It's just a fucking bar with some plates on it.

Some advice that Weedelwott gave me. Move that shit.

mahscles
06-17-09, 3:35 pm
It's just a fucking bar with some plates on it.

Some advice that Weedelwott gave me. Move that shit.

yeah buddy!

mahscles
06-19-09, 7:18 pm
well gents here it is, i said i was gonna get it and i did. here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udgese07Paw&feature=channel_page

DANO
06-19-09, 7:21 pm
AWESOME job buddy. good pull!

mahscles
06-19-09, 7:26 pm
AWESOME job buddy. good pull!

thanks bro i was so happy!

DANO
06-19-09, 7:32 pm

I could tell! haha. 450 is just that much closer!

IRON_SOLDIER
06-19-09, 7:39 pm

Bro u looked like a beast today one hell of a pull.

mahscles
06-19-09, 7:43 pm
I could tell! haha. 450 is just that much closer!

yes sir! i flipped out there at the end. believe it or not you, wedge, and especially my brother IRON_SOLDIER were what was in my head when i was going for it. i knew i had said i was going for it and i had to do it. it kept me up many nights this week.

mahscles
06-19-09, 7:43 pm
Bro u looked like a beast today one hell of a pull.
man you too bro, you too!

DANO
06-19-09, 7:52 pm
yes sir! i flipped out there at the end. believe it or not you, wedge, and especially my brother IRON_SOLDIER were what was in my head when i was going for it. i knew i had said i was going for it and i had to do it. it kept me up many nights this week.

I know what you mean, wedge and machineman have pushed the hell out of me, and they are clear across the country!

mahscles
06-19-09, 8:23 pm
I know what you mean, wedge and machineman have pushed the hell out of me, and they are clear across the country!

well the brotherhood breaks the barriers of distance.

wedge
06-24-09, 12:40 pm
You know I miss a few days in this thread and you go and pull 405. Nice f'n job bro. Tip of the proverbial shaker cup to ya.
Now I may have to ignore this thread for a few months so when I come back I see a video of you making 450 look as easy as the 405 did.
Glad I could help stoke the fire bro. Keep pulling.

mahscles
09-06-09, 3:06 pm
well got a 600 rack pull from the knee two days ago here's the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfMD8kNocKs

DANO
09-11-09, 9:44 pm
Great job bro. 450 will be in your rearview soon!

mahscles
09-13-09, 11:34 am
Great job bro. 450 will be in your rearview soon!

thanks bro i'm tryin like hell

mcbeast
09-13-09, 1:25 pm
are you mike or joe? strong pulling, im subbed

Ive got a few nasty deadlift routines if ya feel your gettin stale.

Keep up the hard work brotha. I remember my road to 450 as well.

How old are you?

mahscles
09-16-09, 9:34 pm
are you mike or joe? strong pulling, im subbed

Ive got a few nasty deadlift routines if ya feel your gettin stale.

Keep up the hard work brotha. I remember my road to 450 as well.

How old are you?

i am joe. i am 17 years old bro

Soldier
09-20-09, 3:58 pm
i am joe. i am 17 years old bro

That's pretty sick bro. Keep up the good work

mahscles
09-22-09, 10:24 pm
That's pretty sick bro. Keep up the good work

thanks bro. hopin to get the infamous 450 soon actually.

mahscles
09-26-09, 10:19 pm
got a 525 trap bar deadlift few days ago. cheated and used straps because i was having terrible trouble with my grip for some reason that day. Here is the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLRY2HorMS4

ENJOY!!!

DANO
09-27-09, 12:28 pm
450 is there for you bro... just take it!

mahscles
09-27-09, 12:51 pm
450 is there for you bro... just take it!

yess sir i shall. thanks

wedge
09-28-09, 12:25 pm
450 is sweating. It knows you are coming for it.

daddyg
09-28-09, 2:31 pm
man kid u are doin great keep up the hard work keep pullin on the straight bar and just throw those straps to the side and get a feel for it just put that 450 on there and take it cuz its yours.

mahscles
09-28-09, 6:07 pm
450 is sweating. It knows you are coming for it.

if it makes so much as one wrong breath im going to be on it... 450 i am coming for you...

mahscles
09-28-09, 6:07 pm
man kid u are doin great keep up the hard work keep pullin on the straight bar and just throw those straps to the side and get a feel for it just put that 450 on there and take it cuz its yours.

thanks bro i am hoping to get it within the next few weeks

mahscles
10-24-09, 2:59 pm
goin for 425 friday gents. im gonna get it no doubt about that.

wedge
10-30-09, 10:26 am
goin for 425 friday gents. im gonna get it no doubt about that.

It's Friday. Looking forward to seeing how it goes bro.

mahscles
10-31-09, 1:06 am
It's Friday. Looking forward to seeing how it goes bro.

hittin it today (saturday) because i was unable to get to the gym because traffic. going at the early bird time today. carbed up a few hours ago and will do the same when i wake up to leave for the gym. i will lift the 425!

mahscles
10-31-09, 8:38 am
woke up sick as shit this morning. cant stay out of the bathroom long enough to ride 20 min to my gym. closes at 10 on saturdays so i dont even have time to let it settle. well im gonna rest up, eat big, and try monday.

DANO
10-31-09, 12:41 pm
well, dont push it, heal up first, kill it later.

mahscles
10-31-09, 1:22 pm
well, dont push it, heal up first, kill it later.

well i think it may have been the food so depending on how i feel monday will tell whether i will do it

mahscles
11-02-09, 7:24 pm
did back today and included deads, here is my dead #s:

135x4
225x3
315x2
425x1(PR)
435x1(PR)

was so happy i got the 435. 15 more lbs gents.

wedge
11-02-09, 9:01 pm
did back today and included deads, here is my dead #s:

135x4
225x3
315x2
425x1(PR)
435x1(PR)

was so happy i got the 435. 15 more lbs gents.

Gotta love setting a PR then breaking it a few moments later. Congrats on the pull. 450 for a Xmas present.

machineman
11-02-09, 9:02 pm
looks like there will be some 450's under alot of Christmas tree's! good pulling bro...keep up the good work...

mahscles
11-02-09, 9:19 pm
looks like there will be some 450's under alot of Christmas tree's! good pulling bro...keep up the good work...

Gotta love setting a PR then breaking it a few moments later. Congrats on the pull. 450 for a Xmas present.

i can see it happening next month gents. thanks for comin along for the ride

mahscles
11-28-09, 1:09 pm
rack pulls from the knee a few days ago. here's the #s ( WS=with straps)

315x10
405x8
500x5WS
600x3(PR)WS
645x1(PR)WS
645x1WS