PDA

View Full Version : Barbell Rows vs. Dumbbell Rows

braves561
05-18-09, 3:36 pm
I'm doing Wendler's 5/3/1 and Dave Tate's Assistance work for it. I was wondering which I should do on my Military Press day for assistance? Barbell or DB rows?

Thanks

shizz702
05-18-09, 4:02 pm
Which ever you prefer and feel works better for you.

If you are not sure, the dumbbell row has a few advantages in my opinion, over the barbell row: It is less stressful on the lower back, requires stricter form since you can't stand upright and reduce the range of motion, and isolates the lats better.

However, the barbell row is still an excellent, time proven mass builder in its own right, and the main thing it has over the dumbbell row is you can use more weight on it, so some may say it is a better mass builder because of that.

If I had to pick, I'd do dumbbell rows though.

futurefreak101
05-18-09, 6:08 pm
i always use both ....dumbell rows are very hard IMO..if your doing them with a good amount of weight...there also really good for your forearms and grip strength...barbell rows are great also....

braves561
05-18-09, 8:57 pm
Thanks guys!

I normally do both too but because of the assistance work forcing me to choose between the two, I will do DB rows through this wave and then barbell rows through the next.

mritter3
05-18-09, 9:02 pm
i use them both but switch them up as soon as i feel its getting stale

Cstlfx
05-19-09, 12:04 am
Switch them in and out. Do DB Rows one workout, then the next do BB Rows. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages, so do both and get all of the advantages!!!!

Littlefry
05-19-09, 12:46 pm
Switch it up from time to time. The key to training is to not let your body adjust to a certain exercise, weight, rep scheme or split keep mixing it up and key your body guessing.