PDA

View Full Version : Squats

ironmankaz
05-18-09, 10:38 pm
How many sets and reps of squat do you usually do? i am on about 4 sets with reps goin from 6 for 4 to four sets of 5 3 2 1. i will be goin up to 12 10 8 6. but usually i only do 4 sets with a warm up before. i just was wondering

Survivor831
05-18-09, 10:44 pm
There isn't a set number of sets to do. Go by how you feel. Six might be enough or three might do. Don't limit yourself. Find what works for you and go with it.

BigChrisF
05-19-09, 1:31 am
While I'm doing sets of 10, I am doing 5 sets. I just work up from lighter weight to a 10 rep max.

mritter3
05-19-09, 8:22 am
depends on your goals you trying to add size...then go with low reps and if your going for definintion go with higher reps and more sets.

fenix237
05-19-09, 10:09 am
squat until you feel like your gonna puke....always worked for me!

sanga
05-19-09, 11:19 am
I can kill my legs with 1 all out set after warm ups, 1 set to total positve failure using a weight that allows 20-30 reps.

live2lift
05-19-09, 12:36 pm
I can kill my legs with 1 all out set after warm ups, 1 set to total positve failure using a weight that allows 20-30 reps.

This is some brutal shit right here. It takes a lot mentally to be able to push yourself to the absolute limits on one intense set...but let me tell you that if done properly one set to absolute failure will be all you need because you would not be able to do a second, let alone third set. Being that I am a fan of the heavy duty style of training I fully recommend this technique...however until you are ready for it mentally you should be doing 3 sets, then 2, and then when you feel you are ready to take it to that level...1 all out balls to wall set. Leave nothing in that squat rack after that one set and you should be golden.

Peace

Littlefry
05-19-09, 12:40 pm
Everyone is different and will respond to a different rep adn set scheme depending on the indvidual. For instance when Im bulking I do 5x5 squats 3x a week. However when Im cutting or maintaining its usually 4 sets of 12 10 8 6. Just experiment and see what works best for you.

FAL*FREAK*
05-19-09, 3:59 pm
yea bro, like what was said above just listen to your body, not your mind crank that shit up and squat the house!!! balls out remember your form as well. i see it all too often people want to squat heavy but get no where near breaking parallel. ass to the calves is my style!!!

violator
05-20-09, 5:50 am
used to squat ATG, but now only on the box.....my knees thank me for it...

i spose my theory on squats is that there the best overall mass builder....no other compound exercise works better for me.....it ties in the glutes & hams nicely & theres nothing like the feeling of putting 350lbs on ur back with no pussy pad.....let 'the shelf' harden.....
make the squat the priority on leg day....and beat the living shit outta the quads....

sometimes this might take up to 12 sets, 5-6 sets of 6-12...and a couple heavy 3-5 rep sets....and then an ass clinching 20rep widowmaker....call it excessive....call it what u like...but hey....it works for me....& D-Bomb as well.....legs anonymous baby...thats how we roll(in a wheelchair the day after).....haha....

FAL*FREAK*
05-20-09, 6:01 am
Spoken Like A True Champion. Be Your Own Maker

Thrawn
05-20-09, 6:09 am
Like everyone else said: experimentation is key for YOU. Find out what works for you, as we are all different and react differently. You will also find out your body will react differently in time.
I used to squat VERY high rep. Worked fine. Then i went to heavy and low rep. Worked fine. Both stop working over time. Now i alternate them. I do a few weeks of more high rep/lower weight with minimal use of belt/wraps. Then i do a week/two weeks of big weight/low reps with belt/wraps as i see fit. That works. For now.
As long as you put in WORK, you will be fine.
Get under that barbell and MOVE it. The only way to go.