PDA

View Full Version : My Routine: Advice, criticism, and everything in between

BigPlatteville
05-19-09, 1:13 pm
What up guys,
First off I apologize if I'm in the wrong thread/section here,
newbie.

I'm wondering if my routine is up to par, because litterally nobody around
my town is into anything like this. So all comments are welcome!
Just want to make myself better!
Monday:
Bent Over Row
Lawnmower Starts
Lat Pulldown
Seated Lat Pull
Bench
Dips
Incline Press
Fly
Decline Press

Tuesday:
Reverse Shrugs
Wide Shrugs
Upright Rows
Behind-Neck Military Press
Seated DB Press
Side Lats/Front Raises
Lying Rear Delt DB Raises
Rear Cable Lats

Wednesday:
Flared Pushdown
Kickbacks/Bench Dips
One Arm Pushdown
Overhead DB Ext.
Standing Bar Curls
Incline DB Curls Curls
One Arm Preacher Curls
Hammer Curls
Reverse Wrist Curls
Wrist Curls
Behind Wrist Curls
DB Twist

Thursday:
Leg Press
Weighted Lunges
Leg curl
Leg Extension
Glute/Ham Raises
Step-Ups
Seated Calf Raises
Standing Calf Raises

Friday:
Chin-Ups
Lat Pulldowns
Bent Barbell Rows
One Arm DB Rows
Deadlift

Most reps are kept between 8-15 and 15 min of cardio (eliptical) before every workout

MrMonday
05-19-09, 2:59 pm
WAYYYYYYY too much stuff.

Haven't you ever seen a normal bodybuilding routine before ?

fenix237
05-19-09, 3:26 pm
i agree with Monday, that is way way overboard- how long are your training sessions???

there's an old saying; "you can workout long and you can workout hard, but you can't do both!"

if you give us a little info about yourself and your goals, we can help put a program in place to get you started in the right direction....

BigPlatteville
05-19-09, 3:34 pm
I'm about 6'4'' around 200 lbs, and those sessions last about 45 min to an hour.
My goals are just to put on as much lean muscle as possible, and grow grow grow!

My problem is I don't want to not do enough lifts, but, obviously, over-compensated here.
Trying to find a happy medium.

fenix237
05-19-09, 4:02 pm
don't worry about trying to do as many exercises as possible- intensity is going to be what gets you jacked. in order to bulk, you need to be eating big and lifting big...

i would suggest doing a starter's 5X5, but i'm gonna let the experts chime in and put together a suitable routine/split.... and never underestimate how important your diet is!

good luck bro!

MrMonday
05-19-09, 4:11 pm
You are already underweight for your height, so I hope you understand that the most important part of gaining muscle mass is eating enough FOOD to grow - the general rule of thumb being 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight, and enough calories to gain 3-5lbs every month (4 weeks).

As far as training goes, don't let yourself become ADD and worried about not doing "enough".

The objective is to take a few exercises for each muscle group, and get as strong as you can with them. Lift hard and heavy enough to invoke a 'fight or flight' response from your body, and try to grind out either more reps or more weight this workout than you did last workout. Finish off the muscle group by pumping it full of blood, and that is "enough".

Big muscle groups like back and thighs typically need 4 exercises, whereas most other muscle groups only need 3.

shizz702
05-19-09, 8:20 pm
Way too much volume there.

Just do this for a while and change it up when you're ready to move on to something more advanced: http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=41&section=training%0A

BigPlatteville
05-19-09, 9:58 pm
Thanks for the advice so far guys,
but just one thing, that I have my diet in check,
there's no problem there, I just can't seem to find a
routine that works for me.

K Stro24
05-19-09, 11:46 pm
Thanks for the advice so far guys,
but just one thing, that I have my diet in check,
there's no problem there, I just can't seem to find a
routine that works for me.

whats the break down of your diet brother?

and may i suggest trying sumin like 15-18 sets for larger muscle groups, i.e. your back and legs, 9-12 for your smaller muscles, i.e. your biceps, triceps, delts. put your chest somewhere between 12-15, thats what i do, i never have a set routine so to speak as to the exercises unless im on a program

MojoMike36
05-20-09, 1:08 am
Just use a beginner routine from here on animal.

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=41&section=training%0A

Thats all ya need to grow. It works for most people. It takes into account that you are a beginner and gives you the proper volume. Just keep piling on plates and you'll see results bro.

but dig this:
I remember being confused as you are now. Believe me stick with it keep reading this forum and you'll get the knowledge you need. Oh and don't forget to push yourself in the gym and you'll never be unhappy about anything.

BigPlatteville
05-20-09, 7:30 am
Diet breakdown in a nutshell is this:
6-7 meals a day starting at 6 AM.
Taking in about 3500 Calories,45% Protein, 35% Carbs, and 20% Fats.

And thanks for pointing me in the direction of another routine,
I'll give this a try and see how it goes!

BeastCook
05-20-09, 9:46 pm
try a simple mass building plan like this

monday- chest, tri

incline bench press
bench press
flys
pushdowns
skullcrushers
dips

tuesday- back,bi

weighted pullups(chins)
barbell row
dumbbell row
close grip pulldowns
barbell curl
dumbbell hammer curl
close grip chins
hypers

wednesday- rest

thursday- legs

leg ex
leg curl
squats
leg presses/hack squats
stiff leg deadlifts

friday- delts, traps

military press
side laterals
rear delt raises
front raises
ez-bar upright row
dumbbell shrug

something like this you should see results, also keep your meals around 5-8, alot of these guys on here will tell you to keep eating but the truth is, all people are genetically gifted, you may grow faster than your friend but he may have his specialties aswell. Also form is key. Dont get tricked by people, theyl tell you do this exercise and youl grow! bullshit! you gota find what works best for you!

hope this helps