PDA

View Full Version : 2 AM Protein Shake

Naturally Huge
05-21-09, 11:29 pm
Lately I've been setting my alarm to wake me up at 2 and I pound down a protein shake. Anyone else do this?

stumblin54
05-22-09, 12:28 am
I have to pee most nights at least once and have one sitting on my nightstand waiting for me to down it as I walk to/from the bathroom. But if I don't wake up then I don't drink it, I'm not a fan of interrupting sleep.

Stumblin

On Letting Go
05-22-09, 6:56 am
Agreed with stumblin. I drink a shitload of water with my shake right before bed, so most of the time i wake up in the early a.m. to pee. At which point i'll have another shake.

But no, i dont purposely disrupt my sleep to have a shake. If you wake up naturally, then youre good to go.

OLG

adidas
05-22-09, 8:17 am
when I 1st started into wt lifting and thinking that I had to eat every 2hrs all 24hrs a day I did this. However I no longer do...and even if I get up at 1-2a.m. to go pee-pee I don't drink a shake, just pee and crawl back to bed.

so to answer your question. No I don't do it. But I ahve in the past.

mritter3
05-22-09, 8:21 am
i have heard of people doing this, but to sleep is important to me, so i do not.

preachertuck
05-22-09, 8:25 am
Naturally Huge, do you do this on your own, or do you have to make yourself get up? I am 31, and I don't sleep well. On the average, I get 5-7 hours of sleep, the former being the most frequent. Almost every night though, I am up at 230am, just can't sleep and I down a shake. Nothing big, 2 scoops mixed with water so it does not keep me up, but I have been doing this for about 6 weeks now. It also makes it easier to get the amount of protein in my day when I start out with 50g before I get up in the morning. I also lift in the morning, so it gives me an opportunity to take my "TEST" the meal before my workout.

Fury317
05-22-09, 8:25 am
If you naturally wake up, then sure, if youre hungry, go for it. But its not necessary. You dont want an alarm waking you up though. Interrupting sleep (possibly REM sleep) will inhibit recovery more than not having that extra 40g of whey.

adidas
05-22-09, 8:27 am
Lately I've been setting my alarm to wake me up at 2
^^^

Naturally Huge, do you do this on your own

Aggression
05-22-09, 8:57 am
when I 1st started into wt lifting and thinking that I had to eat every 2hrs all 24hrs a day I did this. However I no longer do...and even if I get up at 1-2a.m. to go pee-pee I don't drink a shake, just pee and crawl back to bed.

so to answer your question. No I don't do it. But I ahve in the past.

Likewise. If I happen to wake up to piss, which is pretty much every night, I just piss and go back to bed. Honestly, I wouldn't even call it 'awake'. Its more of a zombie-type state, where I just stagger into the bathroom, then back to bed, without even knowing what happened.

GJN5002
05-22-09, 9:42 am
I read an article a few months ago, I'll try to dig it up. Basically saying, its not good to do that. By eating in the middle of the night it throw off the sarcadium rythm and effects hormone release.

Aggression
05-22-09, 11:00 am
I read an article a few months ago, I'll try to dig it up. Basically saying, its not good to do that. By eating in the middle of the night it throw off the sarcadium rythm and effects hormone release.

I don't doubt that at all. I know Cutler does that on the regular; always has.

adidas
05-22-09, 11:03 am
I know Cutler does that on the regular; always has.

which part? Eat at night or not eat at night?

Aggression
05-22-09, 11:04 am
which part? Eat at night or not eat at night?

He eats in the middle of the night.

adidas
05-22-09, 11:20 am
He eats in the middle of the night.

LOL...thats what I thought you meant...just wasn't 100% sure

milanceolympia
05-23-09, 2:38 pm
i take a cottage cheese before bed or 2 scoop of casein with milk...so i dont eat at night..

LegendKillerJosh
07-09-09, 11:37 am
Bump. I enjoy drinking some watermelon EAA if I wake up to piss. But I agree, if you don't wake up on your own just stay sleeping through the whole night.

theharjmann
07-09-09, 11:47 am
i used to have a shake when i woke up in the middle of the night but didnt notice that i put on any more mass.

i think unless your are juiced to the max and are starving 24/7 its not really needed.

get nutrients in before bed and immediately on waking and that should be enough....hell it works for ronnie coleman LOL!

theharjmann
07-09-09, 11:49 am
I don't doubt that at all. I know Cutler does that on the regular; always has.

does he???

i read that he eats loads during the day and gets 10 hours of solid sleep every night on a mass phase

cutting for a show he does cardio and eats fish during the night though lol

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_12_23/ai_n16034010/