PDA

View Full Version : Animal Training Routine #7 and chains

Robin
05-23-09, 6:49 am
Hey Im currently training routine #7, animals program. I've change some of the exerciese to some I liked better, but now I have been reading about the use of chains in your workout, and would like to try it out. cause seriously im getting psyked when im seeing those chains on the web. so heres my Q.

Can I use chains on "every" exersice or should I only use it when im Squat, benchpress, Deadlift? what are you training with if anything?

Robin

ShaqFu
05-23-09, 6:56 am
chains are fucking sweet...all I know is that the higher the weight gets within each rep, usually the closer you are to actuallly completing one rep, the harder and harder it gets because more of the chain is coming off of the ground and is adding to the original weight. Barbell moves makes using the chains easier....then again I've seen branch Warren put that shit around his neck then do dips...if you can find a place to use em, do it up, it cant hurt
shaqfu

Robin
05-23-09, 7:01 am
Hi shaqfu

Thanks, Then ill definatly go by some, do any have any recommended weight to start from?
2 chains each 1.5 meter long, and 8-10 kg. Think that will be a good start?

BigChrisF
05-23-09, 8:02 am
For the dynamic loading and unloading of using chains on your compound movements, like squat, bench and deadlift, you will need at least 50kg in chain. I have them in about 60 cm lengths, bundled together. These bundles attach to a lead chain or a cable and that goes around the end of the barbell. You can change the length of the lead chain or cable depending on the height of the lifter and which lift you are performing. You want it so that the chains are just barely touching the floor or just off the floor when you are at the top of the lift.

Robin
05-23-09, 8:08 am
thanks BigChrisF, i will look into getting a couple of chains in that wheigt class.

Robin
06-20-10, 5:12 am
Hey

So I borrowed some chains from a friend to try it out. And I love it!
Now im going to get my own pair off chains. But I have some questions, on how I can benefit most from it.

I have recently search the internet for more info regards cycleing chains into ones training routine. The next time I will use them is during, WS4SB, I plan on adding them to the bench, squat, and deadlift. (I have tweaked some exerices around in the program.) If you want to see it, let me know and Ill post it.

Back to topic.
On the net, they say that you don't need more then two 10kg chains to start with if you bench under 100kg. And Im sure I cant bench with 100kg on the barbell and 20kg extra in chains added. So how do I proceed? Just order the chains and start lifting?

I will use chains that are equally size with the one from Elitefts.

Another question that hit me, was I was reading up on it, and they say that lifting with chains is sweet because you get strong, but if you plan on useing it to a specific sport like football, then it arn't as great. So one could benefit in useing it in offseason only.
Then Im not sure, if I only should use chains in offseason? or I can use them year round on every workout.? I want to be as strong and as big as possible. what to do?

Robin

jeff00z28
06-20-10, 11:41 am
they're pretty amazing on close grip bench

Legacy
06-20-10, 11:50 am
they're pretty amazing on close grip bench

Hit it on the spot. I think chains are best when used for close grip bench. I wouldn't use them on every lift, but if you are doing power moves, I would use them for those. Like for me I always do some type of power exercise first; I usually use them on deads, CBG, and bench. I sometimes use them on power cleans, very hard to do, because you need to master the power clean exercise first. And when you add chains, those chains dont go just up and down, they will swing with the bar, so that is an exercise you can do, once you get comfortable with using chains and also perfecting the power clean.

Legacy
06-20-10, 11:55 am
Heres a good example of the chains on the close grip bench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkwl-ifJubM

RogueLion
06-20-10, 12:09 pm
Hello,

I think chains are an excellent tool, but make sure you have some knowledge before you use them.

I like to drape them around my neck when doing dips, tie them around my waist when doing pull-ups, I also use them when benching and close gripping. I really like how the weight gets heavier as they raise off the ground. I've experimented with dead lifts and chains and that worked well also. I see people doing curls with them, but then again, people try to do curls with everything at my gym.

Robin
06-20-10, 1:54 pm
Thanks for the response guys.

I will only use the chains on DL, Bench and on the squat. (and dios)

How big chains do you use? (length and wheight), do anyone know if useing chains all year would be a bad idea, when strengt an size is the goal?

Robin

Legacy
06-20-10, 3:40 pm

How big chains do you use? (length and wheight), do anyone know if useing chains all year would be a bad idea, when strengt an size is the goal?

Robin

As far as the length, I couldn't tell you the exact measurement. I do know that when I am benching with them, at full lockout the chains are fully extended and barely touching the floor, with squats they are a little bit off the ground for me only because my chains arnt that long (im a short dude). As for weight, I use 40 lb chains; they sell them online and shit if you want to buy them, but for me I just went to a local scrap yard (boat yard is the best cause they have them anchor chains) and asked if I could look around and I found some chains, better than spending close to 100 bucks for them online. Once you get the chains, just bring em home and measure the length you want for the gym and cut the links at the right spot.

As far as using them all year, I tend to vary. Just like training programs i switch mine up after like 12 weeks, so I just varying it into what training program I am doing. Maybe 8 weeks with chains and then 8 weeks without.

BigChrisF
06-20-10, 9:14 pm

Robin

You shouldn't use them all the time. If you are going to do a Westside variant, use them mostly on your dynamic day. Bands are also nice to use.

Right now I use 3/8" chains in about 24 inch lengths that attach to a lead chain on the bar. Total I have 120 lbs in chain. I would like more and larger chains, but I don't have the money and don't live anywhere near a shipyard.

Robin
06-21-10, 3:42 am
Legacy: Unfortunatly there is no boatyards anywhere close to me. But I have found a company that sell's anchor chains and chains for doc's. I can get chains that are 1.5 meters long and wheighs 10.5 kg the other chains I can get Is also 1.5 meters lang but wheigs 11.2 kg. So there isn't rally any differense.

I will hook it up in the middle section of the chain so there will be approx. 75 cm chain to each side of the lead chain. To a toal of 21kg or 22.4kg off chains. add to the bar.

by the way thanks on the input about how you cycle the chains in your training routine. Sound like a good plan to go 12 weeks with chains, then onther program without chains for 8-12 weeks. I'll deffinatly try it out.

BigChrisF: I was thinking about useing, the chains on the max-effort upper and lower body (bench and squat), but instead off doing stepups(worldest toughest exerice, mentally and physical), I have add deadlift, to get some more "Bang for your buck," movements.(This is on the dynamic-lowerbody day). As I hope the deadlift will increase my leggstrength and slap some muslce on me. I haven't tried bands yet, but it sounds like one could get quite good results from them.

Thats alot of chains!, I have to drag my chains, homemade wristroller and all my other stuff to the gym, since I dont have a car. And I can't walk with that amount off wheigth. Tough I would like to try only to bench with chains to see how that would work.

Robin

Legacy
06-21-10, 9:53 am
Thats alot of chains!, I have to drag my chains, homemade wristroller and all my other stuff to the gym, since I dont have a car. And I can't walk with that amount off wheigth. Tough I would like to try only to bench with chains to see how that would work.

Instead of dragging the chains to the gym, ask management if you can leave them there. We use to bring our chains to the gym and it got old after a while, so the owner said we can leave them in the back office or in the corner of the gym. You don't gotta worry about people stealing them, people see them in the corner and most don't even know what they are. Save ya that little extra effort

Aggression
06-21-10, 9:55 am
then again I've seen branch Warren put that shit around his neck then do dips...i

This is what I do for dips, and its the only time I've used chains. I've never really thought about using them on a regular press. Maybe I'll try it out ...

Robin
06-21-10, 10:16 am
Instead of dragging the chains to the gym, ask management if you can leave them there. We use to bring our chains to the gym and it got old after a while, so the owner said we can leave them in the back office or in the corner of the gym. You don't gotta worry about people stealing them, people see them in the corner and most don't even know what they are. Save ya that little extra effort

Thanks Bro

I'll try talk to them the next time im in the gym. Would be a lifesafer if I could leave them there.
tough Im not sure I feel secure leaving them in the actual gym. If they could be left behind the counter then it would be great.

Robin

c-doll
06-21-10, 10:20 am
Chains are a great training aid. Like Legacy, I usually do 8 weeks with then 8 weeks without. Chains can be added to any major compound exercise and work well with those exercises with longer ranges of motion. I've found them to be most effective for strength gains, so they are best used in my opinion in the 5-10 rep range. Perhaps my favorite use of the chains is using them alone on lateral raises on shoulder day. While you may be able to use more weight with dumbells, they stimulate the supportive ligaments that dumbell laterals tend to neglect.

Robin
06-21-10, 10:34 am
Perhaps my favorite use of the chains is using them alone on lateral raises on shoulder day. While you may be able to use more weight with dumbells, they stimulate the supportive ligaments that dumbell laterals tend to neglect.

Sounds nice, do you just grap the chains and lift?

c-doll
06-21-10, 11:53 am
Sounds nice, do you just grap the chains and lift?

Yes. My chains are ~6 ft long. So when I do laterals they are still barely touching the ground. Sometimes I double them up so they are completely off the ground.

Robin
06-21-10, 2:37 pm
I'll try that, thanks for all the help

Robin